Skip to content

Player how-to: Getting mods to work on BGEE

Comments

• callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    edited December 2012
    sorry, double post
    Post edited by callimachus on
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 227
    For windows xp there is no need of an external program for creating hard links.

these are the command lines :
    fsutil hardlink create dialog.tlk ./lang/fr_FR/dialog.tlk
    fsutil hardlink create dialogf.tlk ./lang/fr_FR/dialogf.tlk

You can use them by copy-past on a new txt file, and renaming the extention .txt by .bat.

note : this is for french version : replace fr_FR by en_USN for englkish version, and skip the second line.
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 227
    oups, sorry, typo errors in the last line of my previous post : en_US for english version.
  • YosharianYosharian Member Posts: 67
    So what's going on with WEIDU, 'it'll be here on Tuesday' but we're Wednesday and still no sign? Anyone got info on this?
  • gokkegokke Member Posts: 46
    Id rly like a working Shadowkeeper ( seeing i cant get the other shit to work) also Weidu updated :P would be swell anyplace exept here i can be updated about these things?
  • ManwichTuesdayManwichTuesday Member Posts: 7
    Would this process need to be undone before applying update patches? Could leaving this intact during updates potentially cause conflicts?
  • WabbitTwaksWabbitTwaks Member Posts: 54
    @Yosharian
    I read in another thread, the WeiDU release is dependent on the author's "mood". So, it is still in the works.
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    Yosharian said:

So what's going on with WEIDU, 'it'll be here on Tuesday' but we're Wednesday and still no sign? Anyone got info on this?

"It will come out on Tuesday."
    it's kind of a phrase..well..u can google it and read.
    the author is not in the mood for modding bg2. so who knows when.
    unless there is somebody who is willing to take over the development.

• DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521

I have a problem with what should be a relatively simple solution before I can get mods working.

So, Windows 7 gets an occasional bug wherein all folders are permanently marked as read only (google it, it really happens) and very little can be done about. I have this bug, as does at least one other person in this thread. Fortunately, in this day and age, 99% of what you use a computer for ignores this archaic flag, so it mostly doesn't matter.

Unfortunately for me, .jar apparently follows this restriction when extracting files from .biffs.

So, I need a bit of help. If someone could upload the extracted biff and point me where to put the extracted files, I would be much obliged.

Btw, it isn't a proficiency problem, as I was able to get shadowkeeper working without any trouble. I just can't extract the biff myself.

I tried the old teamBG tool WinBiff and no dice for me (crashes). If you're having a similar problem and would like to try it out: http://www.gameapps.com/winbiff.htm

In the meantime, I'm going to try other infinity engine tools and see if I can find one that will work.
    @Deucetipher
    I have no problem doing that. I can put them in a .7z file and place it in DropBox PROVIDED that doing so does not in any way violate any copyright laws. *Waits patiently for someone in the know to offer advice here*
    @WabbitTwaks
    I should have thought of that. It does violate copyright law. Sorry about that.
    @Deucetipher
    No need for apology. No laws were actually violated. ;)
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102

So, Windows 7 gets an occasional bug wherein all folders are permanently marked as read only (google it, it really happens) and very little can be done about. I have this bug, as does at least one other person in this thread. Fortunately, in this day and age, 99% of what you use a computer for ignores this archaic flag, so it mostly doesn't matter.

Have you made sure it not just a matter of needing to take ownership of the folder?
    edited December 2012
    @Wisp Yup. I even grabbed a take ownership utility to make sure I wasn't screwing it up myself.

BTW, if anyone wants it, it's really useful, and can be found here.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
  • MorvianMorvian Member Posts: 24
    So I followed the instructions to try and install BG1NPC Project. I wanted to start looking for bugs in it while enjoying whatever worked (BG1 is so boring without it). I followed the instructions and everything worked great...until Weidu didn't recognize it's in the correct folder. It keeps telling me that I have to run setup in the BGTutu or BGT folder after conversion. Is there some file that it uses to identify whether or not it is in the correct directory?
  • markthesharkmarktheshark Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2012
    This is probably an almost painfully stupid question, but after downloading the most recent Near Infinity (1.1.0) JAR file, I don't see any executable when I unzip it. I got two folders "infinity" and "META-INF." Each is filled with CLASS files. I cannot figure out how to get it working.
    @Morvian
    The BG1 NPC Project is getting worked on by the author. It does not work with BG:EE at this time.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @marktheshark Do not extract it, it's a Java program. You need to have java installed in your computer to run it.
    marktheshark
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Morvian said:

So I followed the instructions to try and install BG1NPC Project. I wanted to start looking for bugs in it while enjoying whatever worked (BG1 is so boring without it). I followed the instructions and everything worked great...until Weidu didn't recognize it's in the correct folder. It keeps telling me that I have to run setup in the BGTutu or BGT folder after conversion. Is there some file that it uses to identify whether or not it is in the correct directory?

WeiDU's working, it's BG1 NPC's own checks that are preventing its installation. If it can't detect BGT or Tutu it simply exits.

If it was WeiDU in the wrong directory, you'd get the more generic 'can't find dialog.tlk/chitin.key'.
  • markthesharkmarktheshark Member Posts: 57
    mlnevese said:

@marktheshark Do not extract it, it's a Java program. You need to have java installed in your computer to run it.

OK. I'm a serious computer ignoramus. I right clicked on the file, chose "open with" and BAM there was java. Thank you for your help. I wouldn't have figured it out in a hundred years.
    mlnevese
  • MerryMerry Member Posts: 9
    I also got an error extracting tutorial.bif due to read only issues. Nothing helps.
  • NotelracNotelrac Member Posts: 2
    Here's what I just did to extract tutorial.bif.

Right-click on your "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder
    Select Properties
    Click on the Security tab
    Click the Advanced button
    Click the "Change Permissions..." button
    Click the "Add..." button
    In the "Enter the object name to select" box, type your windows login name
    Click the "Check Names" button
    You should now see a box titled, "Permission Entry for Baldur's Gate -- Enhanced Edition. Click the "Allow" box next to "Full Control".

Close all the dialog boxes. You should now be able to do things in the folder without having to ask permission. Check this by trying to copy and paste a file, and see if you still get asked for permission.
  • MerryMerry Member Posts: 9
    Unfortunately, this solution didn't work for me. Copy-paste works fine, but the extracting still doesn't function.
  • ElfBaneElfBane Member Posts: 24
    When attempting to install WEIDU mods, which directory do you put the mod executable in? Thanks!
  • ElfBaneElfBane Member Posts: 24
    ElfBane said:

When attempting to install WEIDU mods, which directory do you put the mod executable in? Thanks!

NVM... I figured it out!
  • RagingOrcRagingOrc Member Posts: 63
    Hmm, I installed the mods correctly but on launching bg ee, it checked the files and redownloaded some things?

Does this overwrite the changes i've made?

Gonna see if I can find out but would be good to see if other ppl have had this happen?

• LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    @RagingOrc It depends on what the mod has done. New files and everything in the override directories will be left alone. Dialog files and other stuff changed outside the override folders will usually be overwritten on an update. This can create some nasty breaks in some mods, but most of the better WeiDU mods can just be reinstalled.
  • RagingOrcRagingOrc Member Posts: 63
    It was for BG2 tweaks -extras. I added the happy party edit so I could play a mixed party with max rep. Also changed Vic's wisdom to BG2 style. Didn't really add anything else... Maybe bags of holding...:S
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    Hmm, happy is just a 2da override, stat changes should be the same.

Bags of holding exist in the engine already, so I guess it depends on what you did to the bags of holding. Though I can't imagine what would require changing something not in override for an item like that.
  • ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2012
    for dialogtlk i strongly recomend use mkdir /h to create a hard link so the changes of mods reflect the game correctly

from the terminal , in windows just ...
    cd to the folder of your tlk
    mkdir /h name dialog.tlk
    mkdir /h name2 dialogF.tlk (other language than english)
    move the 2 files to 00766
    rename name1 to dialog.tlk and name2 to dialogF.tlk
    you will need to do it as admin (execute as admin the command prompt)

meybe that help weidu too , since you can create a hard linked extructure that it understands.

I just se someone alreday talked about it xD
    LaughingMan