Skip to content

Unkillable werewolf

gholamgholam Member Posts: 12
edited December 2012 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
I can't kill Karoug - the head of the werewolf clan on Balduran's ship. Every time I hit him (with weapon or spell) he regenerates. He goes from "barely injured" to "uninjured" in a second. I don't remember this fight being this hard. Perhaps it's a bug?
Post edited by Dee on
mastergradius

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    I believe he is immune to most weapons. Try using the golden bastard sword from the room next to him (careful, traps) and the silver dagger. I managed to kill him with these.
  • gholamgholam Member Posts: 12
    Isn't he just immune to normal weapons? Most of mine are +2.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You can also kill him with either of the bastard swords +1 / +3 vs shapeshifters (you can potentially get two in the game)
    @gholam
    In my game I tried hitting him with +2 and +3 weapons without success.
    I guess hurting him requires cold iron or something like that (like the final enemy of the quest-line). I don't think this is proper either.
    I'm pretty sure I never used Kondar or Balduran's sword to kill him before. And it still doesn't explain his freakishly fast regeneration rate.
    edited December 2012
    Did you run away from him by any chance?

I remember a bug from Baldur's Gate 2, where an enemy's regeneration could stack with itself if you reloaded that area too often (either through exiting/entering or saving/reloading).

But that should be long fixed by now.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    +3 is supposed to hit him. He's always been immune to +1 and +2. Spells will also hurt him, but he has some resistance, iirc.

I can't say for sure if something's wrong in the BG:EE version, because I haven't gotten that far.

It's always been a very hard battle, and even impossible if you get to it without the right weapons and spell preparation. Haste is your best friend. I'm not sure he's even beatable without a Haste spell or Oils of Speed. If you're having trouble with his regeneration, it's probably because your party's too slow.
    That's the first time I'm on that island in BG:EE. But I've killed the guy at least a dozen times in TotSC.
    elminster
  • RhumagricoleRhumagricole Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    Hi,
    One of the things I enjoy most about BG is the choice to play the way you want.
    However I've reached a stale with my mage. I can't kill the Greater wolfwere due to his health regeneration.

I'm playing as a solo wild mage at normal difficulty, I'm already lvl 9 (cap) and there's no human way to kill him before he heals completely with a solo char: my casting times are just too long, my staff won't hit (even though its +3) and since I'm stuck on the island I can't even go recruit any character to help me.

Does he have a weakness important enough for a mage to solo him or is it just too bad that I wanted to play alone?

Either way I can't play anymore on that char so I'm forced to start a new one (because I love the game).

Anyone feeling this is unfair other than me?
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    You can only kill him with a certain weapons that you get around there, one should be a silver dagger that is usable by anyone.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Has anyone used the level 9 mage spell shapachange? There you can see how insane the regeneration of a greater wolfwere is. If you are unable to dish out enough damage, drink some potions buff your party with your clerics and try to burst him down with spell support.
    ARKdeEREH
  • adzmodeanadzmodean Member Posts: 3
    Checking in - same problem. I am able to hit him with Bastard Sword Vs Shapeshifters +1,+3, and Werebane dagger +1 +4). I've hit him with "hold person" and I have my main fighter and thief wailing on him, but he's just regenerating a crazy amount. (in the realm of 100hp per turn).

Strangely I can't hit him at all with Arrows of Biting +4 loaded into Deadshot +2 (+3 thac0) and the Cursed Two handed Berserking sword +3.

Definitely something broken here guys.

What's more, my quick and auto saves are on the island.. I don't think I can get off the island without killing him or the other one. Not sure if she's the same :P
  • KratokKratok Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2012
    There was another thread about this, too busy to find it right now.

But it's not bugged. What we did was equip Sword of Balduran one guy, Silver Dagger on another, buffed the party up (haste, chant, anything that improves damage) and started the fight by casting horror/hold so that it couldn't fight back. Additionally we had a mage+bard provide some support by bombarding it with magic missiles. With that, it went down easily on core rules.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    I would not said it's broken, but I had easier times with this monster in the original game ...

So I don't know what's wrong here
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    He out-regenerated my melee damage too.

And then I bust out three mages with two Wand of Fire Scorcher bolts each. He did not stand up to 36D6+36 damage.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    I've had several cases now where I've had tough fights, reloaded, and bosses became super overpowered in various ways. But when I exited the game, and reloaded, tough fights became easy. One example is in the bandit camp. Even with massive protection from missiles, my tank was taking life ending damage. Reloaded, and it got worse, exited the game and got back in, and the arrows didn't touch him like normal again. Something is getting lost on the reloads is my guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    This was one of the encounters that having Xan was almost like cheating. Cast emotion and you can bang away in peace changing this from an almost impossible task to easy as hell.
  • and_then_orand_then_or Member Posts: 107
    edited December 2012
    There is also an amulet which will improve thac0 and damage to werewolfs. Be sure whoever is weilding the dagger is wearing the amulet. (ahh so now YOUR the wearwolf)

Buff w/ potions of giant strength/speed/heroism.

While tank is doing his thing the backup singers should pelt Toerag with wands of frost and the heavens.

Bliztkreig tacktics. Combined arms of armor, artillery, and airpower augmented with speed, suprise, and superior weapons technology then focused into a single point of attack to annihilate you enemy.

~~I read your book you glorius bastard!.~~

... you magnificent bastard, I read your book!.

(edited for accuracy)

DiscoCat
    edited December 2012
    Wait isn't Karoug a wolfwere not a werewolf? (specifically a greater wolfwere)
    [Deleted User]Cheesebelly
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminster
  • JuomariJuomari Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    i had very hardtime with this one too, let's get something straight, he is immune to all bg1 weapons as far as i know, i had several +3 weapons in my party and nothing helped, not to mention he regenerates hp VERYFAST, his only weakness is that he doesn't have many hitpoints, and that's what you gotta take advantage of.

so only weapons that can do damage to that boss is dagger you get from same ship in different level ( it's dagger with +1, +4 to lycanthropy dagger ) and sword of balduran you get from room where that greater werewolf comes. (sword is just normal bastardsword with +4 to lycanthropy).

other things that can hurt him are spells, like magic missile, firearrow, acid arrow, vampiric touch ( if you're playing evil char your main character has this ). also amulet that gives extra thac0 and damage to lycanthropy helps a lot, so don't forget to equip it to your fighters.

tactic :

buff your party to the max, blessings, protection from evil, haste etc whatever is in your disposal.

have your tank (preferably someone with -9 armor) to tank greater werewolf, meanwhile rest of your party kills everything else in the room, once that is done send your thief to get that sword of balduran, equip your fighters with sword of balduran and that dagger mentioned before once there is nothing else left than werewolf.

now, you need to strike FAST with mages, once you see that both fighters manages to hit that greater werewolf and he gets injured, now you cast all your spells to the werewolf and don't stop until he dies, if you fail at the time you're out of spells, you are probably screwed, this battle should be a lot easier with 2 mages.
    Cactus
    @adzmodean "(in the realm of 100hp per turn). [...] I can't hit him at all with Arrows of Biting +4 loaded into Deadshot +2 (+3 thac0)"
    Just 2 general pieces of advice:
    1 turn = 10 rounds = 60 seconds. I think you are speaking of rounds here.
    THAC0 bonus of bows and other launchers is irrelevant when determining what you can hit.
  • BomimoBomimo Member Posts: 18
    What's the lore difference between a Wolfwere and a werewolf? Which one is the shapeshifter?
  • generaldisastergeneraldisaster Member Posts: 4
    I thought the fight was impossible, but once I started using Haste on the party and Slow on Karoug it was easy - Slow causes enemy regeneration to slow as well as his actions, so with the extra attacks he falls straight over.

Remember, when in doubt, 'GO FOR THE EYES!'
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    In the non enhanced edition fire was effective against him, Idk if they've changed it.

I used a wand of fire to shoot him with fireballs in rapid succession and was able to kill him that way.
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    edited December 2012
    @Bomimo A werewolf is a person who is cursed to turn into a wolf. A wolfwere is a wolf with above-normal intelligence that can turn into a human, usually as a ruse to lure human prey into an ambush. They are both considered shapeshifters.
    There seem to be two different versions floating around online. The forgotten realms wiki says (with no citations backing this up) that a wolfwere is the offspring of a werewolf and a wolf, whereas other sources make it out to be not related to werewolves but I guess more of a magic creature that can turn into a human.

@LadyRhian do you have any insight into what the official difference between the two creatures is?
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited December 2012
    My understanding of wolfweres vs. werewolves is that a wolfwere's preferred form is a wolf, but it can take human shape. A werewolf is the opposite in that it prefers human shape, but can take that of a wolf.

Think of it as, the original form before the curse was for the werewolf to be a human and for the wolfwere to be a wolf.