Skip to content

[BUG] Cat familiar has no attack

klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
edited January 2013 in Fixed
Observed behaviour:
I checked the FAMCAT.CRE file with NI and everything seems fine, but ingame, the cat never ever rolls an attack, i.e. no message for the attack roll is shown in the combat log and it never hits.

Expected bahaviour:
The cat familiar makes an appropriate number of attack rolls per round.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• curicuri Member Posts: 20
    ugh, just got thief to level 6, dual classed to mage ... and found out my familiar cannot attack.

awful bug.

playing on ipad. can anyone tell me what i need to do to edit an ipad save to change my alignment?
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    It's supposed to have 99% chance to move silent/hide in shadows too, but it fails almost or just over 50% of the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shandyr said:

Woo said:

It's supposed to have 99% chance to move silent/hide in shadows too, but it fails almost or just over 50% of the time.

You must use "hide in shadows" when it is actually standing on some shadow. Then it almost always succeeds (or at night or in some dark dungeons)

"hide in shadows" has a double meaning in a way:
    - You have better chance of hiding when you are standing on a shadow
    - And after that you can hide as a shadow yourself

Maybe in traditional paper/penicl D&D but you do not need a shadow... make a thief with 100% HiS/MS and stand in the open NO SHADOWS, you will not fail, only chance of fail at 100% is in sight of hostile targets, ergo 99% chance both means less than 2% margin of error. Ontop of that my Thief Mage who has 60% HiS and 45% MS seems to succed at the EXACT SAME RATE as my cat familiars 99%.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Alright, I found the problem. There was an item equipped to it that was reducing its apr to 0.

Can anyone tell me what the proper apr for the cat familiar is? I can't find any documentation on it so I've just undone the reduction. It's got a bit more dps than I would expect from a starting summon though.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    2? That is good enough.
    I think 2 is what its supposed to be in BG2. Can you check into its Hide in Shadows and Move Silently too, I really feel like it isn't the 99% it is supposed to be.
    It has its hide in shadows and stealth skills set to 99. That means it has 99% to perform these. But there are penalties for lit terrain. Hiding is easier in actual shadows.
    [Deleted User]
  • BadmassBadmass Member Posts: 36
    The cat familiar is the ONLY familiar with 3 APR. All others have 2. I am pretty sure it states this somewhere in BG2 or it's manual.
    Woo
    Badmass said:

The cat familiar is the ONLY familiar with 3 APR. All others have 2. I am pretty sure it states this somewhere in BG2 or it's manual.

This is correct. Just looked in my actual books and checked some pdfs.
    Badmass
    @woo what book describes this?
    Wizards handbook has table for find familiar, theres a tidbit of info in PHB, and monsters manual for stats under "Cat* there is also elven cats, bit more badass, elves are likely to summon them when casting find familiar, if they were to receive a cat familiar.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Patch 2014 fixed this. Now familiar cat has one attack.