Skip to content

Game Update: 1.0.2010

Comments

• RemorhazRemorhaz Member Posts: 26
    @godspeed7 After screwing around with all kinds of things, I finally got multiplayer to work with Hamachi. (I had to solve some problem that Hamachi had, blah) For the first time I have a working multiplayer and am very glad :). Thanks for your suggestions though!
  • fanestfanest Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2012
    Where are COLLECTED PATCH NOTES? I searched this forums and official page thoroughly and didn't find anything. Why can't we have one thread where all this info would be available in the opening post - and ofc would be updated when new patch is applied...
    Cyricist
  • Dark_NeuronDark_Neuron Member Posts: 58
    fanest said:

Where are COLLECTED PATCH NOTES?

In the launcher currently.
  • chareokchareok Member Posts: 2
    havent been posting but thats due to this game reclaiming my life over a decade after the first time..thx for the hard work guys:)
    gabilturgh
  • godspeed7godspeed7 Member Posts: 14

fanest said:

I can't seem to find anything related to patch notes in the beamdog launcher... =\

Cyricist
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012

Does the Elven Chainmail drop yet or should I play my LG Invoker first?

Elven Chainmail is far too powerful for BG1.

I hope they do not let players get it, especially considering it's only available on evil playthroughs.

• ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    It is too powerful yes, but there are items that you can get only by being evil (like silver pantaloons, blackrazor) and there of course a 1000 items for good guys. It's not a problem I always get all of them. (afterall you can do good if you are evil for your own benefits)
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    @bigdogchris - Did they make it where you can cast spells in it, in BG:EE?
  • TheBlackThroneTheBlackThrone Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2012

Elven Chainmail is far too powerful for BG1.

I hope they do not let players get it, especially considering it's only available on evil playthroughs.

The item is not overpowered, and it would be available to all alignments.
    Post edited by TheBlackThrone on
    KholdstareOxford_Guy
  • fanestfanest Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2012

fanest said:

Well latest patch (8 dec) isn't there and description of fixed bugs is in my opinion very vague - i.e. (* Journal entry fix) ??
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    @CameronTofer

Please, will you guys take a look at pathfinding? I'm finding it increasingly frustrating and how erratic it can be at times. Some times it's very good and others I'm at a lost for words at how poor it is. Both routes your characters take to get to enemies as well as your characters walking way off the path to get to where you point, are common.

The issues happen when enemies are around. Say in Firewine Dungeon, when it's empty the pathfinding is perfect. If an enemy is somewhere in the dungeon and the path they want to take intersects, the characters often time just stop or get stuck around corners, or takes a absurd path to go around.

I often times find myself fighting the path finding more than the enemies I'm trying to defeat. I just don't believe this is the BG2 pathfinding system, it can't be.
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
    AntonOxford_Guy
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    The only way I was ever able to get through Firewine in the original was to turn off AI and manually move each character in fairly small increments - perhaps if the BG2 pathfinding (which was never really stellar either as I recall) can't handle it either the issue may be in the dungeon design itself?
    Oxford_Guy
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I usually end up selecting one or two capable characters from my party to navigate Firewine (or the ice island dungeon). Any more and they'll have trouble getting around each other on a constant basis. I actually think this was on purpose to make it harder.
    The pathfinding can be changed in baldur.ini but I don't think it would improve it too much.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    fanest said:

fanest said:

Well latest patch (8 dec) isn't there and description of fixed bugs is in my opinion very vague - i.e. (* Journal entry fix) ??
    Who uses the Beamdog Client has not the patch fix log, only the stand-alone version has it.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Are the Gnoll Stronghold and Xarvt village now full of monsters?
  • QuineloeQuineloe Member Posts: 55
    Did this or a previous patch (we're still playing 2009a) fix the immense pause delay in multiplayer that often occurs after a dialogue? My GF is really freaking out over this because it makes fights a whole lot harder that we can't pause for orders for 3-4 seconds.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Quineloe said:

Did this or a previous patch (we're still playing 2009a) fix the immense pause delay in multiplayer that often occurs after a dialogue? My GF is really freaking out over this because it makes fights a whole lot harder that we can't pause for orders for 3-4 seconds.

This issue affected me in the original game, though I don't have any problem with it now.

Since we played with a full online party, we turned auto-pause on to pause at the end of every round. This was a great help as it allowed meticulous control without wasted actions or time.

• LamorackLamorack Member Posts: 24
    I think pathfinding would be improved if characters could walk past each other even when they are in a narrrow corridor (you could do it in real life -- you would just squeeze past). The only pathfinding problems I've had are in dungeons when people figure they have to go the long way round to get somewhere because other party members are in the way. It's also slightly annoying that characters see fog of war as an impenetrable obstacle and will go long ways around to avoid it.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    edited December 2012

Does the Elven Chainmail drop yet or should I play my LG Invoker first?

Elven Chainmail is far too powerful for BG1.I hope they do not let players get it, especially considering it's only available on evil playthroughs.
    'Far too powerful' ? for classical fighter/mages, maybe (but only due to the fact it could be obtained nicely earlier than archmagi robes (but only for players knowing the 'trick' anyway and location of the -unique?- 'drop'..not obvious too..).. then - i checked my very old BG1 one F/M 7/7 at the end.. he had an archmagi robe (AC5 like elven chainmail basics - and his total was AC-2 with others thingies found..), and then exactly the same AC than with a standard elven chainmail..and i remind that in the original BG1, you COULD switch armors in combats..that restriction was introduced in BG2 engine.now back in BGEE..means, if a standard armor equipped (=no spells possible) in BGEE, no possible switch during combats..BG2 reintroduced the archmagi robes available early or even eventually elven chainmails +x a little later, to compensate -here, in BGEE, obviously nothing at low levels if nothing to replace that..and archmagi robes are available only very late..^^).

Now, BGEE went even further and introduced the kits available in BG2...
    I'm thinking about Bard blades especially, here (not especially evil chars either) : those one were already very picky/difficult to play early in BG2, but were really fun and excellent just a little above lv20..AND after they could get an armor allowing to cast spell at same time (obviously, for them, elven chainmail only choice..but obtainable at mid game at least..but vital for them^^). In BG1EE, so early, they are REALLY almost unplayable from what i tested a little : not enough spins, thaco0 (and almost no possible enhancements at those low lvls) and everything that made them playable above lv20 (almost no spells to compensate, only 4 profeciency points even at lv10..)..and the best of all, without even a basic elven chainmail, they are just badly hurt even further (and they CAN'T use pure archmagi robes..not allowed to bards^^ ); so all along BGEE they would be not even able to use the few low level spells they got at first in combat (and impossible to switch armors in combats with BG2/BGEE rules..).
    So, no, elven chainmail not overpowered for a BG2 kit like that; it just become almost unplayable in BG1 even more, without it, for an early bard blade, so.. ^^
    Post edited by sunset00 on
    PhoenixDownAristilliusOxford_Guy
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    Lamorack said:

I think pathfinding would be improved if characters could walk past each other even when they are in a narrrow corridor (you could do it in real life -- you would just squeeze past). The only pathfinding problems I've had are in dungeons when people figure they have to go the long way round to get somewhere because other party members are in the way. It's also slightly annoying that characters see fog of war as an impenetrable obstacle and will go long ways around to avoid it.

I agree with you on that. I'm not sure if it was done to be more in line with how the PnP used to work or not. But it is definitely annoying in narrow halls as well as travel between areas (characters bunching up in doorways and at the edge of maps), but it isn't as bad as I remember it being way back when I played the vanilla BG1 or IWD.

It does offer some strategy though, it isn't all bad. It lets you tactically place tanks in chokepoints and cut off escape routes and so on.
  • astrellaastrella Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the patch and now it is running smoother!
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    So erm, when are these "further details" going to listed?
    Cyricist
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    I am waiting for them too.

What I don't understand is: they said they handled the missing movies causing a freeze in Multiplayer bug, but there are still places where it can affect you. If you are searching for things to be corrected why don't scan the whole game why just rely on our complaints?
    @Sese79

What other instances can the video files become an issue?
    Sese79 said:
    Is this a problem you have encountered? My friends and I haven't gotten there yet.. just wanna know what to expect when we do play later this week. I'd rather troubleshoot stuff now instead of later "while" we play..

edited December 2012
    Anyone noticed some strange behaviour of the cursor after this patch? It has a bad habit of turning permanently to a "crossed circle". (what is the correct term for this thing?) Especially in the edge of the screen.

Update: It solved after I deleted custom settings for bg in nvidia. (could be coincidence though)

Update2: I was wrong it came back again... Anybody ideas?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    sunset00 said:

I'm thinking about Bard blades especially, here (not especially evil chars either) : those one were already very picky/difficult to play early in BG2, but were really fun and excellent just a little above lv20..AND after they could get an armor allowing to cast spell at same time (obviously, for them, elven chainmail only choice..but obtainable at mid game at least..but vital for them^^). In BG1EE, so early, they are REALLY almost unplayable from what i tested a little : not enough spins, thaco0 (and almost no possible enhancements at those low lvls) and everything that made them playable above lv20 (almost no spells to compensate, only 4 profeciency points even at lv10..)..and the best of all, without even a basic elven chainmail, they are just badly hurt even further (and they CAN'T use pure archmagi robes..not allowed to bards^^ ); so all along BGEE they would be not even able to use the few low level spells they got at first in combat (and impossible to switch armors in combats with BG2/BGEE rules..).
    So, no, elven chainmail not overpowered for a BG2 kit like that; it just become almost unplayable in BG1 even more, without it, for an early bard blade, so.. ^^

I disagree, i played a blade to the endgame and worked great. But you have to rest a lot.
    Use ghost armor. It's a flanking character - couldn't stand much damage, but she sure dealt a lot.
    A blade can use gauntlets of ogre power thus making her very competent in melee; i've had no problems with thacO using rashaad's talon and varscona for a large chunk of the game.

This discussion has been closed.