Skip to content

Future npcs

Comments

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @tyl998
    Believe me, you don't want to play the Saerileth mod. She is a sparkly Mary Sue in all of the worst ways, the writing is bad, and the added content just serves to p. much turn Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn into "Saerileth's Gate: Shadows of Saerileth".
    Don't even get me started on how she literally drops dead of a broken heart if you sleep with Phaere, or how if you make a certain 'wrong' choice earlier on, Cyric himself just shows up and kills her for like p. much no reason. Oh and how she gets huffy and leaves unless you do everything a certain way. Oh and let's not forget how Bodhi turns her into a VAMPIRE GHOST. Because just vampire isn't good enough. Oh yeah and her voice acting is terrible and she talks in this really bad inconsistent mockery of Shakespearean english. Just. Stay away from Saerileth, okay.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

@tyl998
    Believe me, you don't want to play the Saerileth mod. She is a sparkly Mary Sue in all of the worst ways, the writing is bad, and the added content just serves to p. much turn Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn into "Saerileth's Gate: Shadows of Saerileth".
    Don't even get me started on how she literally drops dead of a broken heart if you sleep with Phaere, or how if you make a certain 'wrong' choice earlier on, Cyric himself just shows up and kills her for like p. much no reason. Oh and how she gets huffy and leaves unless you do everything a certain way. Oh and let's not forget how Bodhi turns her into a VAMPIRE GHOST. Because just vampire isn't good enough. Oh yeah and her voice acting is terrible and she talks in this really bad inconsistent mockery of Shakespearean english. Just. Stay away from Saerileth, okay.

Ooh. Those are all good selling points. Where did you say this mod can be found? :D
  • tyl998tyl998 Member Posts: 144
    Wait what? Vampire Ghost? Such things exist? o_0
  • ValchistValchist Member Posts: 44
    I would like to see some female warrior types that my male n.good gnome illusionist/ cleric can romance
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    @LadyEibhilinRhett but you don't understand, it's her personality that makes her unique...

Oh boy, before any class considerations, I demand a character that isn't cliché and that holds some interest for those who are used to good characters in good books.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

@tyl998

You just described pretty much every NPC mod to any game ever. Ok, maybe not all of them are that bad but pretty close. Also I really wonder how people can tolerate BG1 NPCproject because some of the writing is really gringe worthy.

@LadyEibhilinRhett,

If she has so many flaws like you described, then she can't be a Mary Sue right? XD
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Oddly enough, three of my favorite NPC mods are Tutu/BGT: Finch, Indira and Mur'neth. They all have character interactions too (or at least, they all interact with Finch)
  • DeviijaDeviija Member Posts: 37
    Definitely more medium to heavy armored lady fighters (like Aveline in DA2). We have an abundance of lady rogues and casters in the BG series. Women are more than just the mystical earth-mother and the seductive siren.
    Imeon and Branwen are neither :D
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    tyl998 said:

THEY DO NOW.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    A proper Soluafein. Hell, just add an option to add him to the party as is, he's perfectly fine without dialog. Just give him some generic dialog to get him in the party after a death or re-recruitment and he's golden.

tyl998 said:

THEY DO NOW.
    So, would you describe the Saerileth mod as the Twilight series of the Baldur's Gate universe?
    edited December 2012
    tyl998 said:

tyl998 said:

THEY DO NOW.
    So, would you describe the Saerileth mod as the Twilight series of the Baldur's Gate universe?
    That seems a cruel comparison. I can't believe it's that horrible... is it? :O
    tyl998 said:

tyl998 said:

THEY DO NOW.
    I'm not sure I could, because Saerileth DID come first. HOWEVER, the makers, Nethrin and Sillara's, other major 'smash hit' mod is Tsujatha. He and Edward Dullen have a LOT in common, that's not a compliment either.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Arctic said:

Tome said:

I'd like to see a 15 year old female Paladin who speaks in Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe and suffers from obsession issues. She is also a romance option.

Yup.

only if the girl romance dont include sex, as it will be illegal in some countries , even in a videogame
    Now that would be paradox, you break the law all the times in videogames. Murder, robbery, torture, blackmailing ... did I forget something? Oh yeah, corpse abuse, genocide, damage to property, racism.

You can - and in some cases have to - do all the stuff that I metioned above in Baldur's Gate. But 15 year old girls having sex is not ok. Uhu.
    The thing most people don't get about Saerileth: her being fifteen is practically IRRELIVENT! You heard me, it's her character and overall package that TAKES OVER YOUR GAME so to speak that bugs us.
    So which romance mod would you recommend? I guess I'm spoiled by NPCs that interact a lot with you and have character-specific quests. you know, standard for newer rpg games.
    tyl998 said:

So which romance mod would you recommend? I guess I'm spoiled by NPCs that interact a lot with you and have character-specific quests. you know, standard for newer rpg games.

Uh... hmmm, I'll get back to you on that. To be fair, most romancable NPCs aren't of the same level of terrible, far from it, but they're not what I'd call great. They're kinda meh, but when was BG comparable to the best romance novel of all time... I of course mean Beavis and Butthead!

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    What about a new member of the Jansen clan. This one is digsraced, though being Lawful Good and telling the truth every time Jan tries to tell a new tale :)
    tyl998 said:

I only have played romance mods for male NPCs yet.

Edwin - You can get Edwin to fall in love with your female NPC. Some of the dialouges may be a bit cheesy and Edwin gets sometimes OOC, but it's over all a great comic relief with really funny banter. I also like to call it the troll battle mod, because you and Edwin mainly try to troll each other.

Kivan - He becomes a joinable NPC in BG2 and may fall for the female pc. This mod is kinda exhausting and depressing, but the dialouges are very authentic and it gives a realistic feeling of a revenge-pleagued widower.

Ajantis - It adapts to the events from the BG1 NPC Project. Nothing to spectacular, it basically tells a story about a man having to give up anything if he want's to be with the women he loves. Some nice plottwists and a few funny jokes. Solid writing, but sadly, the ToB part isn't out yet. Also adds quite a lot new banters.

Xan - Also adapts to the events in the NPC Project. Many plottwists, great writing. Also gives tribute to the Lore and Icewind Dale and is overall very entertaining to play. His character is imagined very well and it adds tons of new stuff (some new quests and enhancments of older ones, lots and lots of banter). I my opinion, probably the best executed romance mod I played so far.

Keldorn - Still in beta status. It can be kinda disturbing, since Keldorn is so old, but it shows his character very well, the troubles of divorcing and beeing a Paladin while falling for a way to young women. So far very well made, I have high hopes for the ToB part.

Sarevok - Not really romance, more like a sex-relationship. It also enhances his character development throug ToB amazingly, tons of new banter and dialouges. It's even fun to play, if you are not out to have your character form a sexual relationship with him.

Solaufein - Uhm, well... this mod is kinda a matter of taste. I personally didn't really like it, because it's so deadly serious all the time. But for all gamers out there who seek a challenge, the mod adds some really hard battles to the game and Solaufein himself is a very interesting character to be added to the group. He's also bisexuell if I'm not mistaken.

Well, I guess these are all, hope I could help :)
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    As others have said, one or more thieves need to be added in BG2. I don't mind since I'll be importing a swashbuckler the first go-round, but after that I don't want to have to power-level Yan constantly to have a decent rogue.

Some folks here have had good ideas for new characters (fighter/mage sounds cool), as for me, I love silly characters and was just a little disappointed that the 3 characters added to BG:EE were fairly serious (Neera not entirely so). How about more chance meetings with Portalbendarwinden, even a quest line? Another gnome of the Yansen clan would be quirky fun. I would find it hilarious (and I'd be one of the few) if the devs added a Commoner class for some poor schmuck that you convince to join your party, against their better judgment and only after you've paid the difference of their expected losses of a year's wages for coming with you. I think it would be funny and I would be willing to have a nigh-useless party member for the sake of banter and dialogue. You don't have to take me seriously on that last suggestion. ^_^
  • Aegir_FellwoodAegir_Fellwood Member Posts: 81
    There seems to be a consensus towards a new thief in BG2EE, but what if we could also get one more npc in BG1EE?
    Imo a new bard would be welcome since only 2 are available, and I'd prefer a jester since that specific kit has a different approach to the bard song.

There seems to be a consensus towards a new thief in BG2EE, but what if we could also get one more npc in BG1EE?
    Imo a new bard would be welcome since only 2 are available, and I'd prefer a jester since that specific kit has a different approach to the bard song.

Oh I'd definitely like more than just one more NPC. There may be a limit to how many they can/wish to make though, so the thief should be top of priority list imo. I too would like a bard, but I'd prefer a regular or skald one to a jester I think.

Wonder if they'll add said new NPC(s) to the first EE as well. They've said they'll port features and updates backwards as they're released, hopefully that goes for companions as well. Requires more writing and content building surely, but it doesn't sound like either is something they intend to be slacky with.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Where are the dwarven female NPCs? Or wait... did we already have some and I didn't notice? Make them a thief with special disguise ability for even more fun!
    My big problem with Kivan is that the guy gives off this silent hunter who won't take your shit type vibe... which is great! The mod however makes him overly wordy and he really chimes in everywhere.

Are Aerie and Jaheira having a random party chat? In pops Kivan to break the momentum!

The dialogue is also very "elf this and elf that." It gets really jarring when a guy whose select dialogue is "Don't bother me!" won't stop bothering YOU!
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    My vote is for a Good Swashbuckler who is kind of a pirate. An Evil Assassin sent to kill you who eventually joins your cause after being forced to work for Sarevok. A Chaotic Neutral Jester who is insane and dangerous. (Kind of like the Joker), and a True Neutral Blade or Skald who is really just trying to write an epic war poem or song. Some sort of True Neutral Priest might be good too to round it all out.
  • ValchistValchist Member Posts: 44
    this would be cool but instead of a priest a female warrior who is romanceable
    I don't want another romance option for male characters, you already got Viconia, Jaheira, Aerie, Dorn and Neera. Why do the female characters get? Rasaad, Anomen and Dorn. Talking about fair.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Dazzu said:

My big problem with Kivan is that the guy gives off this silent hunter who won't take your shit type vibe... which is great! The mod however makes him overly wordy and he really chimes in everywhere.

Are Aerie and Jaheira having a random party chat? In pops Kivan to break the momentum!

The dialogue is also very "elf this and elf that." It gets really jarring when a guy whose select dialogue is "Don't bother me!" won't stop bothering YOU!

Wow, you just about summed up everything wrong with that otherwise good mod really well. Those were my exact issues. Read my mind.