Skip to content

Viconia & Alignment (& Racism) - Spoilers

Last night, I spawned NPCs and forced their interactions so I could see some of the banters I had never gotten to see before. One of the ones I triggered was Kivan & Viconia.

While I used Viconia in my first BG2 run, I never used her in BG1. I was surprised at what I found: She's actually rather nice. I kind of expected her to be more... evil.

When you meet her, she's being chased by a Flaming Fist mercenary, who is trying to take her into custody to kill her. From the interaction, he says she is wanted for murder; it doesn't really sound like it's definite or that he even really has proof. Certainly not enough to commit her to death: Viconia denies it (and, given the meeting in BG2, I kind of believe her). This is cemented for me by the mercenary's response when you say you can't allow him to take her: He sentences all of you to death. When you save her, she is incredibly grateful and pledges not to disappoint you.

I was most shocked at her interactions with Kivan. She can actually initiate a conversation with Kivan where she says something like "I know we are supposed to hate each other, but maybe we should try to get along." His response is to basically call her a drow and insult her. She'll defend herself, but eventually she may try to reason with him again. At which point he'll insult her again. She'll never outright insult him, but he has no problem doing it to her. But he's supposed to be the good-aligned NPC?

This kind of thing pops up again in BG2, specifically with Anomen.

If you keep her through ToB, in her ending, she can actually team up with Drizzit and seemingly change her alignment (if memory serves, by romancing her, you actually CAN change her alignment). So how come so many of the NPCs hate her so much? Just because she's a drow? Even Viconia seems aware of the racism against her.

Just another example of the complex relationships in this game that could slip by unnoticed.

Comments

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited December 2012
    The fact is the drow society is cruel and evil.

To survive drows have to commit evil deeds inside their own society.

Most of the drows that surfacers have already met are drows army or assassins.

It's easy to assume that drow's reputation is bad enough to lead to false accusation against not-that-evil-drows.

We can easily see that Montaron (neutral evil) is a remorseless and blood thirsty, only killing for money.

Viconia became evil in her society (she had to commit murders and acts of treachery to survive).

The fact she no longer worship Lolth is a good thing, but the ways she's been raised are still strong on her mind and her way to analyze the world (need to be strong to survive, ...).

So all neutral evil characters are not only evil for money... or bloodthirst.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    This is the mythical world of Dungeons & Dragons, not the real world. Judging the characters according to our own real life "concepts" makes little sense. In that world, drows have betrayed the entire elven race when they pledged alliance to evil forces; that act of betrayal is the very reason they are identified as "drow elf", it is the founding act of their racial identity. It therefore seems perfectly legitimate and even expectable, from a RP perspective, that a good-aligned Elf (or any Elf for that matter) would throw abuse and want to stand as far as possible from a drow (not matter how nice looking or sounding that drow may be). It also strikes me as potentially evil, to try and pretend to be nice and talk nice when in fact intentions are bad; and vice-versa, the untalkative and seemingly harsh fellow who is in fact pure of heart.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @lunar My memory was that later on in the romance Viconia admits that she made up the story about the farmers. Kind of makes her even more interesting if you consider she's willing to lie about her own past. Who knows if the baby thing happened at all?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2012
    @kilroy_was_here okay, I do not remember that. But it sure is intertesting. Who knows, maybe she is all trying to look all-strong and evil. Because she has learned from her childhood that it is the proper way to go. She tells stories about how evil and cruel she is all the time and tries to embrace it. But she's really soft inside. She is different from, say, Drizzt as Drizzt is repulsed by evil/cruel behaviour and can not embrace it even if he tries. Viconia tries hard but fails anyway. Interesting thought.

Yeah, Viccy is all soft inside, but if you tell her that you'll get a flail on your face! XD
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    On Viconia's "evil deeds" - as has been said, they were mostly in retribution, from what I remember. Sure, she can be a bit nasty, but I would be, too, if every person I encountered wanted to kill me.

@Ignatius I'm not sure if the concept of racism exists in Forgotten Realms... Does anyone know for sure?
    Either way, it doesn't seem particularly "good" to me to meet someone and automatically try to kill them or hate them, as is the case with many good-aligned characters upon seeing / meeting Viconia.
    @lunar I think she said she made up the story because she felt she had gotten too attached to you so she wanted to come up with the most horrible event she could think of to push you away.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    She sure is a complex character. And yes, people automatically hating/attacking her is not a good behaviour.

But in overall Kivan is a good guy. Okay, so he seeks revenge, is a blood thirsty homicidial and racist jerk. Nobody is perfect. Having your girlfriend (or was she his wife?) raped/tortured to death before you does that to people. But he is good for he puts innocents before himself, he is very much willing to sacrifice himself to prevent evil guys hurting the innocents ever again.
    rdarken said:

@Ignatius I'm not sure if the concept of racism exists in Forgotten Realms... Does anyone know for sure?

Definitely not the way it is being used in the real world, and for quite obvious reasons. Even upon character creation there is massive "racial discrimination", and it is perfectly normal in that world. This entire mythical world relies on the fact that each "people" and each race, has different origins, destiny and characteristics.
    rdarken said:

Either way, it doesn't seem particularly "good" to me to meet someone and automatically try to kill them or hate them, as is the case with many good-aligned characters upon seeing / meeting Viconia.

It ain't that simple and you never meet "someone", you meet "an elf", "a dwarf", "a drow", "an orc". Should Kivan let a chance to an Orc, an Ogre or a Gnoll if they do not sound hostile, and turn their backs on them and trust them? Just because they are "someone"? Take Sam in the LOtR. He is the epitome of goodness and loyalty and yet, he shows zero tolerance towards Gollum, if he could kill him he would.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    @Ignatius Yeah but if you entered a tavern and saw a Gnoll enjoying a drink minding his own business should you just stick a sword in them because one day they might betray you? There certainly are enough of the 'good' races in taverns who do betray you at one point or another and you don't usually try to kill them right off the bat.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I hate it when people interpret my favourite characters differently than I do -.-
    Yup, @CutlassJack has it. And we aren't talking about defenseless folks here; Kivan is a seasoned warrior, in a group of like-minded friends. Assuming Viconia had ill intentions, he doesn't have much to fear. Plus, she tries to extend an olive branch to him and he stomps on it.

@ajwz Who did you interpret differently and how?

@Ignatius Yeah but if you entered a tavern and saw a Gnoll enjoying a drink minding his own business should you just stick a sword in them because one day they might betray you? There certainly are enough of the 'good' races in taverns who do betray you at one point or another and you don't usually try to kill them right off the bat.

The only reason I would not stick a sword through him would be the thought that it must be some sort of polymorph spell and not a real Gnoll sipping down an ale. Somewhere in BG1 you stumble upon a Gnoll that is not aggressive, he comes up and talks about a captive and his cannibalizing habits. Everyone can chose to either let him go, or kill him - neither act strikes me as "good" or "bad". Although a little different, Kivan being heavily prejudiced against Viconia does not sound as "bad" to me, some might actually argue that it is a testimony of his "goodness". I think it is more of a testimony of his "elvishness".
  • and_then_orand_then_or Member Posts: 107
    Do Drow consider what they do to be evil? No, they consider what they do to be the correct thing to do thats why they do it. Just like everbody else.

If you want to bring game concepts into this world (which is to say out of thier fantasy setting) and drop a racism charge then you must have a dicussion about Western religion.

Sorry. Dungeouns and Dragons the game grew out of the fanstasy and science fiction literary generas, the fathers being C.S. Lewis and J.R.R, Tolkien. Two devout Christians. Their ethic was the Christian ethic, just like the American, Canadian, and Western Euroupean. Respect the life, property, and values of everyone. Harm noone in the pursuit of yours. In America these values are codified into law via the Bill of Rights (those are the first ten Amendments to the US Constitution)

That being said, of course good, evil, and values, are relative to and absoulute within, every culture.

To bring up racisim is so bizarre as to be mind numbing. I am always shocked at the moral relativism of younger adventure gamers. If the designers of this game wanted her to be good then her alignment would be good. In your (OP) concept of 'Good'.

I sincerly hope that the Admistrators of these forums delete this thread. This is a entertainment venue, not a protest forum. I do not wish to see BGEE become an arena for socio-plolitacal debate.

Let's keep the discussion on the game. The 'nautre' and 'values' 'inherint in computer games' should remain a three credit graduate level course in a liberal arts collage so you can rack up a six figure student loan debt learning how to blame everything on your parents so you can be justified in taking what they've earned.

Adminstrators, please delete my post. Please delete this thread.
    edited December 2012
    @and_then_or Why should they delete this thread? And why are you so bent out of shape? And why are you calling me a "younger adventure gamer" when you don't really know anything about me?

We do NOT need to have a conversation about religion. We're talking about the way characters respond to an NPC and potentially what it means to their alignment... I think it's a really great dynamic, introduces very complex relationships, and builds a great character... THAT is what this thread is about. So far everyone has been very mature and no one has derailed this into flaming or something completely off-topic like religion. Your post is a bit uncalled for...

@Ignatius On the topic of attacking races just because they're an "evil" race - that doesn't work out so well for us in BG 2, does it? :)
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    edited December 2012
    @and_then_or racism is exactly the point of Viconia's storyline. Its 100% part of the game. And Viconia absolutely can become good, (well less 'evil') so clearly the designers wanted that.

Anyway I'm not really seeing the socio-political protest. The only one really taking it to the next level is you. Stop that. :P
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    This discussion reminds of the wonderful and lengthy debates on some forums about Skyrim and whether or not the Stormcloaks are racist towards the Darl Elves (called "Dunmer" in that game). Great fun! Though flames were often inevitable. And in most cases the debates said more about the participants and the society they live in than about the inhabitants of the fictional world they were discussing .
    @and_then_or I must admit, your misunderstandings of Tolkien, western ethics, Christianity, racism, contemporary morality, the internet and this forum are so intertwined that I'm not sure where to begin.

If yours was a troll post please try harder next time.

If we are supposed to take you seriously... nope, just can't do it.
    rdarken said:

Assuming Viconia had ill intentions, he doesn't have much to fear.

The acts of the entire drow race is an abomination in the eyes of the elves, an ultimate act of betrayal which to them, cannot be redeemed.
    rdarken said:

Plus, she tries to extend an olive branch to him and he stomps on it.

So what? have we never heard of evil-minded people talking of peace and extending olive branches, only to be in a better back-stabbing position later on? he's just smarter than that and is not prepared to give her an inch and I think that's fair enough.
  • and_then_orand_then_or Member Posts: 107
    @rdarken

You droped the racism bomb. You stated that the 'good' chacater is the racist and that the 'evil' character is being oppressed.

What are you basing your concepts of good, evil, racism and oppression on?
    What discussion were you hoping to provoke?

I critique your post and my thoughts are 'uncalled for...'

@CutlassJack

The OP created a discussion thread on the topics racism, alignment, and oppression. If this is not 'taking it to the next level' than what is? And by 'stop that' do you mean 'stop that or else' or 'stop that or else we will need to reeducate you'?

Adminstrators please delete my post, please delete this tread.

rdarken said:

@Ignatius On the topic of attacking races just because they're an "evil" race - that doesn't work out so well for us in BG 2, does it? :)

It doesn't you are right! in that specific case. But blaming Kivan because of what we know can happen in BG2? well...

@and_then_or: I like your comment, but not sure it is necessary to delete. You are entirely right to say that Lewis/Tolkien created a fantasy world in its own right, although brought into it their own cultural vision. That's very, very clear. They are actually interesting discussions to have. It is also interesting to point out that the vocabulary and moral notions of our real world (in this time) very often do not fit at all in the mythical world of AD&D. "Racism" is definitely one term that does not fit well. At all.
    Actually, the concept of "racism" as it applies to Forgotten Realms is one of the things I'm interested in here. Can these concepts by applied to a fantasy world? If not, why not? And what's the right way to classify it?

You're right that the dark elf world and history are in sharp contrast to the other elves, and a lot of other races, but Drizzit gets a pass, why not Viconia?

I like that you said it's not so much a reflection of Kivan's alignment as his own race. I wonder how he would respond to someone like Drizzit? Or Viconia post ToB (assuming she doesn't die).
    @and_then_or Why are you being so antagonistic? Are you just trying to provoke a fight in the hopes it gets heated and THAT gets the thread locked? Oh, Internet anonymity.

It's odd that you are making it seem like I am talking about real-world politics here and that there's something wrong with us having this conversation at all. The interactions are in the game; I didn't write them. I just saw them for the first time last night and thought they were interesting. If you are too uncomfortable to be a part of this conversation, then do not make yourself a part of it. It is going just fine.

And why don't these forums seem to have an ignore function? Geez.
    rdarken said:

Actually, the concept of "racism" as it applies to Forgotten Realms is one of the things I'm interested in here. Can these concepts by applied to a fantasy world? If not, why not? And what's the right way to classify it?

I am surprised that you would ask why the concept of "racism" as it is being spoken of in real life, cannot have the same meaning and moral background in AD&D. Again that world mythology relies on the various races, their huge differences in abilities and mentalities, their different destinies, their different fate, their difference even in the eyes of the various Gods and Creator/Creators. That should be enough to explain why it just makes no sense to apply such concept.
    rdarken said:

You're right that the dark elf world and history are in sharp contrast to the other elves, and a lot of other races, but Drizzit gets a pass, why not Viconia?

It is not so much sharp contrast, rather than arch-ennemies because of original treason and fall from the elvish race. That's much stronger than "sharp contrast". Maybe an explanation of why Drizzt gets away with it, is because he is already famous and that people have come to know that he has rejected his drow background and upbringing.
    rdarken said:

I like that you said it's not so much a reflection of Kivan's alignment as his own race. I wonder how he would respond to someone like Drizzit? Or Viconia post ToB (assuming she doesn't die).

That would indeed be interesting, I agree.
  • hzfhzf Member Posts: 70
    @and_then_or This is the first time I have looked for a Dislike type button on this forum, unfortunately there does not appear to be one. Racism is not unique to the real world and there was good discussion in this thread. I do not understand why you contributed to this thread, not why you think that you can tell moderators what they should or should not delete.

@rdarken Good discussion, VIcky is a very interesting character. I am surprised no one has mentioned Korgan's very obvious reaction to Viconia. I always thought that they made Kivan a ranger first and therefore he had to be good, but once they gave him a littler personality it did not actually fit in with his alignment. Similar for Vicky, they made her a Drow so she had to be evil, and then they added the basic lines (selection/attack sounds) evil. But when they started to flesh out her character it was actually more of a chaotic neutral character.
    Well, I don't really care if racism in the real world is the same thing as racism in Forgotten Realms. I meant more the concept of hating someone just because of their race. That's essentially what Kivan is doing. Even if most Drow are evil, he's still making an assumption about Viconia based on her race. That's really what I'm talking about here. If we can't call it racism because of real-world implications, what is it?

@hzf What happens with Kagain? I didn't try them together. I did try Kagain and Yeslick, though. Yeesh.
  • hzfhzf Member Posts: 70
    Korgan, the evil dwarf fighter in BG2, strongly dislike drow. He does not cite good reason either, it is just a racial hatred of drow. This makes sense for an evil character.

Keldorn, the paladin in BG2, also dislike Drow. However, his disliking is more of a trust issue. He is an old and experienced paladin who probably have experience with drow being untrustworthy. This makes sense to me, for a good character.

Kivan in BG1 seems a bit closer to Korgan than he does to Keldorn.
    rdarken said:

Well, I don't really care if racism in the real world is the same thing as racism in Forgotten Realms. I meant more the concept of hating someone just because of their race. That's essentially what Kivan is doing. Even if most Drow are evil, he's still making an assumption about Viconia based on her race. That's really what I'm talking about here. If we can't call it racism because of real-world implications, what is it?

I don't know what it should be called but my point is that in AD&D I do not think such attitude should have a moral label as being "bad" or "good". It is just the way that mythology is construed. For Kivan, wanting to eliminate someone like Viconia and seeing her as an intolerable stain (just because she is drow), is just perfecttly normal and does not contradict at all, in my eyes, with his good alignment.

• State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    The moral alignments have always been inadequate in describing someone's background. On the whole Viconia really isn't evil, she isn't going to save any kittens from trees but she doesn't go out of her way to cause trouble.

I always found it strange that she is suited to an evil party, since to recruit her in both games you have to perform a selfless act to get her out of an execution.