Skip to content

Post your crazy wild Surges *potential spoilers*

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Etamin The really bad ones are those where you lose a ton of gold, those that turn her or her target to stone, those that wipe the party.

Wild Surges break down into 1/3 Good, 1/3 Neutral, and 1/3 bad. Not all the bad ones are realllly bad, but enough are you should expect reloading at least occasionally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Shandyr said:

Neera's wild magic costs me dearly - one surge made like 30k ~ 40k gold vanish...

My mainchar was polymorphed into a wolf (luckily only for a few seconds)

And a cow fell from the sky and killed the targeted enemy

Oooh I was lucky since I lost about 1000 gp ONLY.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Teflon said:

Shandyr said:

Neera's wild magic costs me dearly - one surge made like 30k ~ 40k gold vanish...

My mainchar was polymorphed into a wolf (luckily only for a few seconds)

And a cow fell from the sky and killed the targeted enemy

Oooh I was lucky since I lost about 1000 gp ONLY.
    I'm pretty sure it's a fixed percent (20?) so you're only lucky in that you weren't swimming in gold beforehand either. :)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    shawne said:

I'm pretty sure it's a fixed percent (20?) so you're only lucky in that you weren't swimming in gold beforehand either. :)

80%.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Just got a wild surge while using my "Cure Light Wounds" Bhaalspawn(!) ability OoO .. luckily it was a beneficial surge ("Area Effect") so my whole party actually got healed :P
  • JustariusJustarius Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2012
    wissenschaft>LoL, that depends entirely on your Pen & Paper group. When you play with a group of friends which goof of all the time having a crazy wild mage is just what the doctor ordered

I was in a PnP group that briefly consisted of a Wild Mage, a Kender and a Tinker Gnome. It ended... poorly :)
  • and_then_orand_then_or Member Posts: 107
    Coming out of the pirate cave w/ a low level party.

Hmm, lets rest right here, maybe pick up some seye-reens (i seen 'em firs!). Rest and bingo, an easy 4k xp.

They spawn pretty much right on us but w/ those low level fighters thac0, bettter get some magic missles in to keep the dire charms suppressed. Then...

**FWOUMP**

Fireball. Eveyone fails save (execpt Neera of course). Dynaheir and Imoen kia.
    This was the first time I had experienced a wild-surge so I litteraly doubted what I had seen (hey, no one in my party even KNOWS fireball, wtf) and failed to hit space bar. Sirens don't go charm, they go arrows. So thwack, thwack, Charname and Minsc kia.

I was hoping that the last that went through Neera's head was Branwen's mace.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Shandyr Seems like there are quite a few threads like this. Another one: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8066/your-wild-mage-moments#latest

In any case I'm going to post my story on this thread too (it is quite unique). If the threads get merged I would greatly appreciate it if the mods deleted one of my posts so that I don't look like an idiot repeating myself.

I was casting Nahal's in ulgoth's yesterday, trying to get the "refreshed" wild surge so I didn't have to rest to ID crap. I was only casting innocent spells so as not to get the locals mad (such as knock and mirror image). I tried casting know alignment on Shandalar and suddenly I see Shandalar- Held! I'm like: "Did that just happen!?!" So I commanded my entire party to start waling on him with swords and spells... Easiest 26000 exp I ever made...
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    After three failed attempts to kill the Ogre Mage in a jar (from the crazy NPC in Firewine), Neera's attempt at "Breech" becomes "Gate". We high-tail it out of the area and watch the combat text as the Ogre Mage goes toe to toe with a Nabassu.

Then we see/hear the Nabassu's head pop like a grape in the Ogre Mage's fist and I'm all like "Are you f'ing serious?!" I didn't realize that OM was so nasty.

Thankfully killing the demon exhausted his spell-like abilities, and we were able to whittle him down.
    @LaughingMan Khark is kind of nasty. He would be the Ideal target for the arrow of slaying.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    She made my char perminantly slowed and the only way to make him walk normally was to put the boots of haste on him. I reloaded
  • MirenheartMirenheart Member Posts: 41
    well, using Reckless, I got a Roll 2 more times, both of which become roll 4 more times, so i got hit with 8 different effects at once. Needless to say, nothing survived.
  • BaccaBacca Member Posts: 10
    I had never used a Wild Mage before picking Neera up during this playthrough of BGEE. So far I'm loving the randomness of it all but wanted to see how everyone else faired.

My best outcome so far was to cast Chromatic Orb on a Dwarven Doom Guard in Durlag's Tower and a cow falling on top of him doing 50+ damage..............plus it gave me hiccups.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Neira (the Assassin) had Held the entire party except for Neera (the Wild Mage), and was going to start killing us off one by one when Neera accidentally petrified her. I guess she went one better than Hold Person...
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    edited December 2012
    Dorn got 175 hp for the rest of the game :S And imp. haste though.. I am not sure how it happend it might be a bug. He always had the boots of speed but I think they only give haste not imp.haste. One day dorn had 175 hp and imp. haste for the rest of the game. He killed Sarevok solo.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Not as 'good' as the others, but she nuked 90,000 gold pieces for my party.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10826/post-your-crazy-wild-surges-potential-spoilers

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8066/your-wild-mage-moments

Dorn got 175 hp for the rest of the game :S And imp. haste though.. I am not sure how it happend it might be a bug. He always had the boots of speed but I think they only give haste not imp.haste. One day dorn had 175 hp and imp. haste for the rest of the game. He killed Sarevok solo.

That sounds quite amazing
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    Just had a real nice one. I was on the second level in the Cloakwood mine, and needed to quickly clear out the mess hall where almost all the guards were gathered. So I had Neera cast Chaos Shield, and got the result of the spell being cast twice. It said that I couldn't have two chaos shields going, but I find myself wondering. Next, I intentionally caused a surge with Nahal's Reckless Dweomer so that I could cast Cloudkill. The result of the surge: no save. I wiped out everyone in the room instantly except the mage Hareishan, who didn't last long after.
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    Got a Roll 2 more times which both were gold vanisher/destroyers. I lost 40.k worth of gold :) (reload)

Amazons after Nashkel, everybody in half HP only 1 Sleep spell left, she cast it and Blast. Overcooked Amazons :) Same thing happend in Bandit Camp main tent too which made me a happy dwarf :)
    @Necroblivion I suspect your wild mage (that would be your PC right?) got the "wrong target" surge. It likely made the familiar Dorn's instead of yours. This would be an exploit rather than a bug I believe (and a rare one at that).
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    @Tresset, No. It was Neera I haven't made a wild mage. And I ment Improved Haste (I think you thought I ment an imp). I just loaded the game one day and realized that he have both haste (from the boots) and improved haste on him (I rested few days and I realized its permenant), the same for his HP, he had 175 hp.

I think it has something to do with the Demon Knight. Because before the fight I pomped Dorn with every potion I had. Maybe it has nothing to do with Neera but somehow some of the potion affects just got permanent?
  • johjoh Member Posts: 9
    Running an lawfull evil entropist, I once had a gender change on my imp familiar, who became a snake. This lasted until I rest. I remember he was still able to use his polymorph spell, but would turn back to his normal form. So I reloaded and kept him in snake the longer I could... I mean... an evil snake familiar... Voldemor approved! ;)
    @Necroblivion I haven't read any of them but people seem to be posting about the potion of fortitude a lot. I suspect that it is bugged after what you say...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    In the party's fight against Degrodel and his Battle Horrors, Neera tried to Blind one of them (and they are blindable, btw) but instead polymorphed into a wolf--which instantly attacked and delivered the final hit, killing the creature with it's ethereal wail and plume of red haze. The whole thing took me completely by surprise.
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2012
    * Got reroll twice, then reroll twice and silence, then reroll twice, ooops... wrong spell and then the spell casted as normal. Seems like you can get rerolling indefinitely.

* When casting bhaalspawn power Draw Upon Holy Might, I got a surge and was weakened instead... (8 STR)

* Was about to cast skull trap in Durlag chess game, but gated a demon instead. Surprisingly, the demon was killed by the enemies in a matter of seconds..
    @Jarleale Chess isn't all that tough I finished it pretty easily with only 4 oils of firey burning, a coupple of greater malisons and emotions and a few skull traps.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Rajick said:

She made my char perminantly slowed and the only way to make him walk normally was to put the boots of haste on him. I reloaded

casting haste heals slow.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    there was the time that she summoned a demon and it proceeded to kill my entire party (i dont remember exactly what kind of demon)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Jarleale said:

* Got reroll twice, then reroll twice and silence, then reroll twice, ooops... wrong spell and then the spell casted as normal. Seems like you can get rerolling indefinitely.

* When casting bhaalspawn power Draw Upon Holy Might, I got a surge and was weakened instead... (8 STR)

* Was about to cast skull trap in Durlag chess game, but gated a demon instead. Surprisingly, the demon was killed by the enemies in a matter of seconds..

That's because the demon was probably somehow triggering the traps on the board. Not sure how~ But it wouldn't surprise me if that was it.