Skip to content

BGEE works with Wine?

BollywoodHeroBollywoodHero Member Posts: 89
edited July 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Any of the devs try installing and playing using Wine yet? I would appreciate some info on Linux compatibility before I pre-order. Thanks!

Comments

• HawkHawk Member Posts: 3
    I strongly suspect Wine will get you killed in this game if my memory of leaving the starting area is accurate. BUt it might make the 4 hours of unsaved gameplay less painful.
    Menthro
  • azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
    edited July 2012
    @PhillipDaigle if you release a linux version after the game is released, will it be available for Windows users for free of charge?
    Post edited by azurit on
    inigomartinez
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    Tanthalas said:

Thought this thread was about a different kind of wine...

Yeah my hopes are crushed :(
  • SmeuuhSmeuuh Member Posts: 34
    Rephrasing azurit's question: I'm a linux user with wine, can I safely preorder BGEE without fear I'll have to buy it again to get a linux version if one is released?
    BollywoodHeroSLN
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Good point, waiting for the answer too.
  • BollywoodHeroBollywoodHero Member Posts: 89
    Very cool. Sounds like Beamdog will take care of us. Pre-ordering...
    MoomintrollIgnodiggerb
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    It works with a nice dry white. I'd avoid red unless you are in the mines, then the earthy spicyness of the kobold comandoes lends itself to Merlot or maybe a low-tannin Chianti.
    GygaxianProse
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    Will it work whit beer? hehe
    I'm trying to play Icewind Dale in anticipation for BGEE. Getting it to work in Wine is a major pain. Can't find anyway to use OpenGL. I hope bgee worked out all the bugs...
  • MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    I'll enjoy it with rose wine, though with my low constitution I'll be quite a bit tipsy after just a glass or two.
    GygaxianProse
  • gimoxgimox Member Posts: 4
    I've already preordered BGEE for windows, but I really hope devs will make a port to Linux... I really need to play it on ubuntu :3
    edited August 2012

Getting [Icewind Dale] to work in Wine is a major pain. Can't find anyway to use OpenGL. I hope bgee worked out all the bugs...

I gave up on Wine and installed the game in a Windows XP Virtual Box guest. It works amazingly well! All the fancy 3d stuff too!

Hey PhillipDaigle, you guys try playing BGEE in a VM?
    Post edited by BollywoodHero on
  • hornaphornap Member Posts: 29
    Hello, I recently played on linux (BG I + II, both IWD and right now, I am in Sigil) GOG only : )
    Ubuntu 64 and Ati card.
    For me, point is using Playonlinux, install from its scripts, but then change wine version on current and switch render from default (or OpenGL) to GDI. OpenGL has problem with changing resolution, also you may use xrandr, before you run game.) - Thats for Playonlinux settings.
    And, at least for IWD, turn off OpenGL in game settings, else you got random crash.

Only problem what I now was in PS:T, but probably due collision in old version of Czech translation and fixpack mod. Game crashed during first visit of lower ward (Morte kidnap) and there is needed, delete temp, cache and rename override directory. (And then set it back, after game continued.)

As you probably see, english is not my first language, hope it helped.
    If you have some problems with game or WeiDu, let me know.
    edited August 2012
    my first problem in wine was after party creation - it would just hang. I created party in my windows vm and exported them, then loaded the pre-created characters in wine and it worked. the second problem is with opengl mode. the call to glScissor() in autosaves and quicksaves for the purpose of creating a screenshot would cause a crash. I provided a backtrace to the wine devs but I'm not optimistic since this bug has been open since 2008.

for now I'm playing in 2d mode and it's flawless.

I hope that the modernized bgee engine won't have the same problems.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @BollywoodHero one of our lead programmers runs the game pretty exclusively in VirtualBox without issue.
    Zeckul
    @Nathan maybe you can try also wine? for example, i have only 1 GB of RAM so i don't think i will be able to start second OS
    Good to know VBox is confirmed working; however, as I understand it, VBox only support OpenGL 1.5, not 2.0. Other than native support, Wine is definitely the preferred solution for Linux users.
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    I was also worried if it worked on VirtualBox because of OpenGL. If it works, I prefer it to Wine because of possible bugs that are less likely to appear in a hardware-abstracted environment like VBox.
    I just wish I read this thread BEFORE installing windows on my Ubuntu Laptop just to play BGEE. Now I have a windows laptop with a Ubuntu sticker on it...
    Trent just tweeted, "We are in talks around creating a Linux version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition". I pre-ordered a windows copy...how's this gonna work?
    inigomartinez
    @BollywoodHero look few posts up to PhillipDaigle's comment (can't find permalink)
    If they made Linux version, will it be sold in one pack with Windows version? I want Linux, but also I want preorder.

Excuse my English please, it's Monday. : )
    If they made Linux version, will it be sold in one pack with Windows version? I want Linux, but also I want preorder.

Excuse my English please, it's Monday. : )
  • sesobebosesobebo Member Posts: 10
    humm, humm...
    "I'm waiting on a review of the legal for a Linux version"

does anyone know what exactly that means? (:
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    It works with wine, although ales are a bit more fitting.
    mlnevese
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Id only get the linux edition if they promise to make all games for linux. I wouldn't want to dual boot for a game.

Good to know VBox is confirmed working; however, as I understand it, VBox only support OpenGL 1.5, not 2.0. Other than native support, Wine is definitely the preferred solution for Linux users.

I was mistaken. VirtualBox definitely supports opengl 2.0. I just installed vbox 4.2 - windows xp guest is smooth as butter. I think I might prefer vbox over wine. I'm downloading the beamdog client. I'll provide an update when the game comes out and I play for a few hours.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    sesobebo said:

humm, humm...
    "I'm waiting on a review of the legal for a Linux version"

does anyone know what exactly that means? (:

It means they are waiting for the legal departments of the IP holders to clarify if they're allowed to make a linux version.