Skip to content

Tales of Broken Weapons

Aron_TimesAron_Times Member Posts: 18

Comments

• DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    My last game, I broke two scimitars against reevor's rats.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I would have died had the bounty hunter dwarf's axe Broken on him in the read sheaf in beregost. (yes even enemies can have their weapons break now)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Tresset said:

I would have died had the bounty hunter dwarf's axe Broken on him in the read sheaf in beregost. (yes even enemies can have their weapons break now)

Enemy weapons used to break in the original game - luckily when they were about to kill you =D
    @DJKajuri I sorta remember that happening once or twice now.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,157
    It's funny, I've had play throughs where I never lost a weapon; and others where I must have lost five before I switched to magic.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    I try to use a staff, slings, or bows until I get at least a +1
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. I broke my first weapon on Shank also. Talk about cheap metal.
  • paradigmofheavenparadigmofheaven Member Posts: 12
    I think it really is unrealistic how quickly the weapon breaks sometimes. I get that there's an iron crisis going on but it feels like the sword is made from clay.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Unrealistic? All it takes is a one blow in wrong angle and a weapon breaks.
  • AberdashAberdash Member Posts: 42
    Bercon said:

Unrealistic? All it takes is a one blow in wrong angle and a weapon breaks.

Maybe if the iron used was of incredibly poor quality. As in BG.

• BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    For a good few rounds I've not realised that various NPCs have been punching rather than stabbing stuff, fine for Ajantis, not quite so good for Xzar O_o
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2012
    If there's something that always sounded strange to me is that ALL normal weapons break because of the crisis. Are all of them brand new and made with tainted iron? Are there no weapons made before the crisis in use or for sale?

It would be better if the game randomly decided when you get a weapon from an opponnent if you get a pre or post crisis weapon to determine if it is easily breakable or not. It could also be reflected in the cost of the weapons when you buy/sell them.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @minevese That's addressed actually. I talked to someone in BG:EE that said that the Iron Taint is contagious. Even if you bring something out of an ancient tomb, once it gets around tainted iron it becomes brittle. Which sounds stupid til you remember Wizards.
    CaptRory said:

@minevese That's addressed actually. I talked to someone in BG:EE that said that the Iron Taint is contagious. Even if you bring something out of an ancient tomb, once it gets around tainted iron it becomes brittle. Which sounds stupid til you remember Wizards.

It makes perfect sense if its something like "essence of rust monster". It could quickly corrode even the toughest of iron alloys. And it's not hard to imagine it being magically "contagious" either.

This a fantasy setting after all, not the real world!

• rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    This happened to me on my first playthrough, too! lol I chunked the assassin, as well, so I just assumed my CHARNAME was such a beast that he broke his longsword hitting the guy so hard.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I noticed something that's kind of odd in my playthrough. I had Kivan dual wield scimitars, his main hand scimitar never broke, but his off hand scimitar broke constantly.
    @CaptRory That would be a Nashkel male commoner correct?
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited December 2012
    Minsc broke three two-handed swords and four bastard swords while we were trying to save Dynaheir in the Gnoll Stronghold. I tried to get him to just go back to Nashkel for a new sword but you know how stubborn he can be...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Tresset said:

@CaptRory That would be a Nashkel male commoner correct?

I think so. I heard it from one of the guys watching Rasaad after I recruited him.
  • DarkovanDarkovan Member Posts: 90
    This might not be entirely accurate but i remember from table top that rolling a 1 (critical Miss) would force you to roll a D100 to determine what effect the critical miss had and breaking your weapon was one of the many effects.
    Darkovan said:

This might not be entirely accurate but i remember from table top that rolling a 1 (critical Miss) would force you to roll a D100 to determine what effect the critical miss had and breaking your weapon was one of the many effects.

Many DMs used house rules for breakage, and the core rules even suggested a few options; but the only official rule was that a one was an automatic miss.

• EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I can't swear to it, but I seem to have broken mine on all crits...both misses and hits.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    I've had some skeleton warriors in Durlag's Tower break their two-handed swords on me.

Serves 'em right. Bastards.
  • FallenShadowzFallenShadowz Member Posts: 8
    All in all, my party broke 27 weapons in Nashkel mines... sometimes I'm getting a bit jealous of Rasaad.