Skip to content

Icewind Dale : Enhanced Edition

Comments

• rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    agris said:

Definitely, including all the races, classes, kits, and items combined from BG1/2. It would also be easier to integrate new adventures within the game, given its dungeon crawler nature.

Ohhh that gives me the delicious dream for custom story, classes, etc. mods like NWN.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Dazzu said:

As I've said about this EE, I'll say here, if they can 'enhance' the game in ways MODDERS CANNOT, then I'll consider it. Giving it a BG2 or IWD2 ruleset isn't enough because we have Icewind Gate!

There's even party member mods. So, what could be done to 'enhance' the game? Maybe if they un-hardcode some stuff, THAT would be wonderful and a huge enhancement. If not, it's a copypasta and a bit of a scam.

I feel this should be heeded before one considers what they ask for.
    Riolathel
  • phoenixclphoenixcl Member Posts: 31
    Most definitely. While it doesn't have the broad adventure scope as Baldur's Gate, I really enjoyed Icewind Dale's sense of urgency and freedom in character development (your characters can come from anywhere and be anything-within ruleset/edition of course).

There's always a sense of danger in Icewind Dale, being mostly in the wilderness and frozen caverns, and feels like a life or death situation in every area you go. And the soundtrack is superb (doubly so in Icewind Dale 2).

I can do without NPCs as I prefer creating my own party anyways (if such an option is available), so that's actually a non-issue for me (something I wish they'd implement as optional in Dragon Age even though their NPCs are usually really good and well written). Playing Baldur's Gate 1 I really wasn't blown away with the NPCs aside from usefulness (I'm surprised by the fanbases since they really don't have much personality aside from command responses and the initiatory dialogue when you first meet them).

I hope if they do decide to release an enhanced edition of Icewind Dale (and I really hope they do, because this series deserves more credit than it gets), I hope that they implement the subraces and kits (deities for clerics, orders for monks) like they did in Icewind Dale 2. Really made for some interesting party setups and roleplay options.

Sily
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Yes. I just bought it from Gog and it feels well choppy compared to BG:EE.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    No, no, and no.

The only way i would accept an Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition is if they were able to create new graphics.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Dazzu said:

Giving it a BG2 or IWD2 ruleset isn't enough because we have Icewind Gate!

Do we? I thought that thing barely even worked at all.

A choppy early alpha of a mod that's likely never actually finished cannot possibly compare to a well-done official release.
    Sily
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Icewind Gate never made it out of beta. Now, IWD-in-BG2 on the other hand...
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    All of this discussion of IWD is tempting me to play a game. I love the wintery atmosphere and its superior soundtrack.
    Dazzu said:

Dazzu said:

As I've said about this EE, I'll say here, if they can 'enhance' the game in ways MODDERS CANNOT, then I'll consider it. Giving it a BG2 or IWD2 ruleset isn't enough because we have Icewind Gate!

There's even party member mods. So, what could be done to 'enhance' the game? Maybe if they un-hardcode some stuff, THAT would be wonderful and a huge enhancement. If not, it's a copypasta and a bit of a scam.

I feel this should be heeded before one considers what they ask for.
    Just gonna keep quoting myself, don't mind the important question.
  • DetDet Member Posts: 20
    I voted no. When I played it back when it came out I was so disappointed. The story was linear and dull, it had no replay value, and the world seemed dead to me because of a very limited NPC reaction to the player outside of the main story.
  • MythMyth Member Posts: 4
    IWD is one of my favorites, and I would love to see it re-done. However, I would want it done with the BG2 engine and ruleset, rather than the IWD2 version. IWD2 was just an odd mix-up of 2nd and 3rd edition that felt clumsy to me.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Dazzu said:

Hi.

I'm the author of the IWD Fixpack, IWD Tweaks, Unfinished Business for Icewind Dale, and IWD Item Upgrade. I'm also co-author of IWD-in-BG2, which brings IWD into the BG2 engine a la Tutu or BGT.

I drool over the possibilities that an IWDEE would afford.
    toanwrathrdarkensunset00zwadek
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    The community has spoken, Beamdog, time to work harder!

Give us BGII:EE and IWD:EE!
    And I love enhancing my IWD experience with those mods, but I'm not entirely sure what EE would do for this game that would make me say "I need this remake ASAP!"
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Dazzu said:

And I love enhancing my IWD experience with those mods, but I'm not entirely sure what EE would do for this game that would make me say "I need this remake ASAP!"

To be honest, BG:EE didn't bring all that much to the table either. It had a few nice tweaks, and made everything work a lot easier without messing around a dozen mods and compatibility issues. If IWD:EE did something similar, I'd be content. If it ported the game for either BG2 or IWD2, both of which have been tried but never completed by modders, I'd be ecstatic.
  • ArturArtur Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2012
    This poll should include "eventually", since some of us are actually hoping for other infinity engine games to be enhanced before IWD (not that there's much to choose from).
  • faceless1963faceless1963 Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2012
    i would appriciate a icewinddale ee more than a bg2ee. for the "fans" there is a bgt. but the icewinddale 1 + addon + icewinddale 2 + addon in a icewinddale-x-ologie would be nice. cool might be a combination of all 8 games/addons in one playable game in which u can visit all districts and interact with all npc. this might be a game off, i guess, 500 hours :) what a (horrible) dream :) it shall be like playing a never-ending-story. and there shall be an option, that u can not end the game until u fullfill 75 % of all sidequests :)

stupid idea for an developer: once payed the buyer would not come back to buy a new game for at least month. if u have to work the timeline can outrange a year or more .....
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Yes. But not before BG2:EE. The NPC interaction comes before everything else.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I never played the original, but the module for neverwinter nights 2 was pretty good. I know it's not the same, since it's the 3.5 rules that NWN2 used, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think I'd rather see a remake or enhanced edition of the seriously old school games like Wake of The Ravager. Ah Dark Sun was such an awesome gritty setting.
  • masterdesbaxtermasterdesbaxter Member Posts: 51
    I've actually never played IWD, though I think I would give it a chance were it enhanced. First things first though! Finish BGEE and BG2EE, then we'll see what the possibilities are. I look forward to new development, some day, too!
    Sily
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Perhaps, but not an EE like BG:EE. Icewind Dale needs more love than just a reskinned scaling UI and minor content additions. I'd like to see a true remake with better graphics, a updated ruleset, something worthy of playing this again.
    Sily
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    No, focus on BGEE and BG2EE first. Work 2 years if necessary on BG2EE to keep perfection still rated perfection.
  • Raziel_HasturRaziel_Hastur Member Posts: 10
    Yes, keep in mind that Icewind Dale is most fun when playing on Heart of Fury mode; not only do they ramp up the difficulty but they add more monsters too. And when you cast summon monsters too on HOF mode, it becomes one crazy massive battle. For me IWD has always been the Diablo version of AD&D and would benefit the most from a black pits add-on. If you are getting IWD for the first time get the complete collection. The complete collection has the expansion pack and high level characters so you can start HOF mode right off the bat, and trust me it's one hell of a good time.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'd vote yes. But primarily because the more games out there on the market today, the more it will be seen as a successful game format and we might see more.

I have played all of the infinity games and still own the originals. As with BG:EE, I don't see it adding enough to the game play to make a difference, BUT.... it is adding game players and so is a worth while endeavor. So yes. More games on this model please.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    1. Beamdog/Overhaul to release IWDEE

2. Community to port IWD contents to BGEE

As far as I know, Beamdog/Overhaul do not have licence to release IWDEE but they have said people would be free to port IWD contents to BGEE...
  • BlackBrilliantBlackBrilliant Member Posts: 11
    Funny I never played IWD but did a couple play throughs of IWD2. Sure, why not, after BG2EE.
    You would like it. IWD2 is a shadow of the greatness of IWD.

Funny I never played IWD but did a couple play throughs of IWD2. Sure, why not, after BG2EE.

The_New_Romance
    It doesn't get more epic than this.

Cluas
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Totally
    Cluas
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386

You would like it. IWD2 is a shadow of the greatness of IWD.

+1 / The hack'n'slay factor improved quite a bit in 2 IMO. Story-wise it could never beat the predecessor.
    In IWD2 I usually only figured what minimized party-requirement/classes I need to made it through HoF. In IWD I just replayed that shit* :> (*masterpiece)
    HoF was less important there for me...

[IWD2 also re-introduced heavy itemization; while IWD1 had random drops, that could be farmed..IWD2 did put quite some uber-items in several NPC's loot-table like tamorra..flameaxe etc]