Skip to content

Which ranged weapon(s) in BGEE do you think *ought* to add strength damage?

Comments

• dimakeydimakey Member Posts: 19
    By the way - the most useful returning "daggers" in BG2 is technically throwing bastard swords with 2d4 dmg dices. May be it was to OP to add STR bonus to them too?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @Senash @Oxford_Guy
    I'm pretty sure that when @ZanathKariashi says enhancement, he or she is refering to the +x property of a magical weapon. So for example, a crossbow +2 would get +2 to hit and damage, but a longbow +2 would only grant +2 to hit, with no bonus to damage.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd even support giving throwing knives and darts only a 1/2 bonus (rounded up I guess) from their strength. (so 19 strength would give you +4 to damage).
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2012
    None or all, the idea that you can get more spin on a sling or more power on a dart from str is no more ridiculous then the idea that you can pull the bow string back farther. Real world physic's tells us that strength provides little benefit at all other then being strong enough to properly handle the weapon.

Of course this rule applies to melee weapons and hand to hand attacks as well so it really just depends on how much you want to munchkin the game or how strict you want to be with the core 2nd edition rules.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited December 2012
    dimakey said:

By the way - the most useful returning "daggers" in BG2 is technically throwing bastard swords with 2d4 dmg dices. May be it was to OP to add STR bonus to them too?

they had 2d4 base damage because they were "bugged" - there was no way to make a weapon have 1 APR when used in melee and 2 APR when thrown (engine limitation), so instead they went with doubling their base damage, with 1 APR. there is an option in BG2 fixpack to make 'em thrown only, with 2 APR, and 1d4 base damage.

edit: APR = attack per round
  • HoratioHoratio Member Posts: 18
    All thrown weapons and slings as per the pnp rules and the points discussed in the below post:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7073/darts-and-other-thrown-weapons-gaining-str-bonus-to-damage/p1

Personal *opinions* do not matter when it comes to rule lawyering, all thrown weapons and slings are owed the str bonus to damage and I have fixed them all with near infinity in my game and it is not game breaking in the slightest.
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    As close to AD&D rules as possible, I always say.

Meanwhile you options are a bit confusing and I missed the "All thrown weapons (Axes, Daggers, Darts) *and* slings" That's what I should have voted.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    marfig said:

As close to AD&D rules as possible, I always say.

Meanwhile you options are a bit confusing and I missed the "All thrown weapons (Axes, Daggers, Darts) *and* slings" That's what I should have voted.

Slings are launchers, not thrown weapons
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    Senash said:

Thorsson said:

IRL it's mainly the speed of the projectile that counts, for the (traumatic) shock value. This is why it makes sense with thrown weapons, and why also it would make sense with certain bows. Slings actually make less sense as the speed doesn't depend on strength but technique (cf David vs Goliath).

Do you really think that brute strenght counts when determining the thrown speed of a dart? Or take this example: do you think that a heavy body builder (who is lets say 110 kgs) whose strenght is let's say 18 can throw a dart with more speed than someone who is in good shape, but does sports that involve moving a lot (like tennis lets say, or more like table tennis which uses your wrist a lot), and has a strenght value of about 12-13, so from this two, the body builder will really throw that small dart with neglectable weight (0lbs in BG!)... I'm not that small let's say I have a strenght of 12-13, but I have seen small girls (str I would say 7-9) in bars throw darts with speed that made me spit out my beer I was having.
    I think that you're making the classic mistake here of confusing a War Dart with the type you throw in a bar. "In Europe, short but heavy-pointed darts were sometimes used in warfare. These had a length of about 30 to 60 cm (0.98 to 2.0 ft) and resembled an arrow with a long head and short shaft." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dart_(missile)
    edited December 2012
    Horatio said:

All thrown weapons and slings as per the pnp rules and the points discussed in the below post:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7073/darts-and-other-thrown-weapons-gaining-str-bonus-to-damage/p1

Here's exactly what the DMG says:
    1. "Strength Modifiers: A character's Strength can modify the die roll, altering both the chance to hit and the damage caused. This modifier is always applied to melees and attacks with hurled missile weapons (a spear or an axe). A positive Strength modifier can be applied to bows if the character has a special bow made for him, designed to take advantage of his high Strength. Characters with Strength penalties always suffer them when using a bow. They simply are not able to draw back the bowstring far enough. Characters never have Strength modifiers when using crossbows--the power of the shot is imparted by a machine."

2. "Ability Modifiers in Missile Combat
    Attack roll and damage modifiers for Strength are always used when an attack is made with a hurled weapon. Here the power of the character's arm is a significant factor in the effectiveness of the attack. When using a bow, the attack roll and damage Strength modifiers apply only if the character has a properly prepared bow (see Chapter 6 in the Player's Handbook). Characters never receive Strength bonuses when using crossbows or similar mechanical devices. Dexterity modifiers to the attack roll are applied when making a missile attack with a hand-held weapon. Thus, a character adds his Dexterity modifier when using a bow, crossbow, or axe but not when firing a trebuchet or other siege engine."

As you can see the Sling is not mentioned at all, and neither specifically is Dart or Thrown Dagger, however they are clearly 'hurled weapons'. I suspect people's support for Slings is based on 3rd Edition rules, where slings were given Str bonuses to damage. If anyone can find real evidence for AD&D slings having strength damage then please post it.
    Thorsson said:

Senash said:

Thorsson said:

IRL it's mainly the speed of the projectile that counts, for the (traumatic) shock value. This is why it makes sense with thrown weapons, and why also it would make sense with certain bows. Slings actually make less sense as the speed doesn't depend on strength but technique (cf David vs Goliath).

Do you really think that brute strenght counts when determining the thrown speed of a dart? Or take this example: do you think that a heavy body builder (who is lets say 110 kgs) whose strenght is let's say 18 can throw a dart with more speed than someone who is in good shape, but does sports that involve moving a lot (like tennis lets say, or more like table tennis which uses your wrist a lot), and has a strenght value of about 12-13, so from this two, the body builder will really throw that small dart with neglectable weight (0lbs in BG!)... I'm not that small let's say I have a strenght of 12-13, but I have seen small girls (str I would say 7-9) in bars throw darts with speed that made me spit out my beer I was having.
    I think that you're making the classic mistake here of confusing a War Dart with the type you throw in a bar. "In Europe, short but heavy-pointed darts were sometimes used in warfare. These had a length of about 30 to 60 cm (0.98 to 2.0 ft) and resembled an arrow with a long head and short shaft." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dart_(missile)
    Well, if they're meant to be *heavy* darts, they ought to weigh something, which they don't currently, throwing axes and throwing daggers have significant weight to carry, at least.

Also there is absolutely no way even a heavy dart, thrown by a strong man, would hit as hard as an arrow, from even a moderately serious bow, in real life.

Well, if they're meant to be *heavy* darts, they ought to weigh something, which they don't currently, throwing axes and throwing daggers have significant weight to carry, at least.

Also there is absolutely no way even a heavy dart, thrown by a strong man, would hit as hard as an arrow, from even a moderately serious bow, in real life.

They ought to weigh something I agree, because a bar dart would do very little damage at all, whoever hurled it - the point is too short and too thin.

And no a dart would not hit as hard as an arrow, but it would be close over a short distance. That is already covered by doing less base damage and having a shorter range.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    PnP considers the sling to be a hurled weapon that requires a launcher (which is why, unlike the other thrown weapons, they only get their enhancement to hit). Darts, slings, thrown axes/daggers are all under the hurled weapon block from the player's handbook. (2nd edition)
  • Ronin13Ronin13 Member Posts: 53
    I don't care personally how 'overpowered' it is, if your character has the muscle to pitch an object with tremendous force, it should *hit* with tremendous force. Anything else is illogical. This would technically also apply to bows, but not crossbows.
  • dimakeydimakey Member Posts: 19
    Ronin13 said:

I don't care personally how 'overpowered' it is, if your character has the muscle to pitch an object with tremendous force, it should *hit* with tremendous force. Anything else is illogical. This would technically also apply to bows, but not crossbows.

So, should we ask to make impossible for dwarfs to wear a human plates because it is illogical?

PnP considers the sling to be a hurled weapon that requires a launcher (which is why, unlike the other thrown weapons, they only get their enhancement to hit). Darts, slings, thrown axes/daggers are all under the hurled weapon block from the player's handbook. (2nd edition)

I fear I cannot see such a table. Weapons are defined as Ranged or Melee, and as Slashing, Piercing or Bludgeoning in the weapons tables, but nowhere can I see a section labelled "hurled". It is true that the order of weapons listed might bring you to that conclusion, were it not for the fact that Club appears above crossbows. Here is the table repeated in full, with the notes, so that all can see there is no mention of "hurled".

Table 45:
    Missile Weapon Ranges
    Range (yards)
    Weapon ROF S M L
    Arquebus 1/3 50 150 210
    Blowgun 2/1 10 20 30
    Comp. long bow,
    flight arrow 2/1 60 120 210
    Comp. long bow,
    sheaf arrow 2/1 40 80 170
    Comp. short bow 2/1 50 100 180
    Longbow,
    flight arrow 2/1 70 140 210
    Longbow,
    sheaf arrow 2/1 50 100 170
    Short bow 2/1 50 100 150
    Club 1 10 20 30
    Hand crossbow 1 20 40 60
    Heavy crossbow 1/2 80 160 240
    Light crossbow 1 60 120 180
    Dagger 2/1 10 20 30
    Dart 3/1 10 20 40
    Hammer 1 10 20 30
    Hand axe 1 10 20 30
    Harpoon 1 10 20 30
    Javelin 1 20 40 60
    Knife 2/1 10 20 30
    Sling bullet 1 50 100 200
    Sling stone 1 40 80 160
    Spear 1 10 20 30
    Staff sling bullet 2/1 -- 30-60 90
    Staff sling stone 2/1 -- 30-60 90

"ROF" is the rate of fire--how many shots that weapon can fire off in one round. This is independent of the number of melee attacks a character can make in a round.
    Each range category (Short, Medium, or Long) includes attacks from distances equal to or less than the given range. Thus, a heavy crossbow fired at a target 136 yards away uses the medium range modifier.
    The attack roll modifiers for range are -2 for medium range and -5 for long range.
    Arquebuses (if allowed) double all range modifiers.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited December 2012
    Something about Bows (from the "2nd Ed Arms and Equipment Guide")..

An adventurer who wishes to gain a damage bonus from high Strength when wielding a bow must purchase specially crafted bows. Such a bow costs the normal price for a bow plus the normal price again for every bonus point desired. Thus, a warrior with 17 Strength who wants a long bow (base cost 75 gp) that gives him his +1 bonus to damage rolls would have to pay a total of 150 gp. The same fighter with 18/00 Strength (+6 bonus to damage) would pay 525 gp. These bows can be strung and drawn only by characters of that Strength or higher. Others attempting this must make a successful bend bars/lift gates roll.

About Slings..

@Thorsson.. we see a certain continuity regarding the addition of the strength modifier to damage for such weapons as Darts, Throwing Knifes, Axes, etc.. throughout the D&D editions.. just tell me one good reason why the sling should be treated differently from 2nd Ed to 3rd Ed?

Also I found something interesting in the "Complete Gnomes and Halflings Handbook"..

Another favorite game is called Knock the Block, in which a small object such as a block of wood, or perhaps a tin pot or iron kettle, is placed some distance away, and the young halflings take turns throwing things at it, recording points for hits. The game is sometimes played with slings and stones (among older youths). For special tournaments and important matches, clay targets are used, with the winner determined by whoever's shot strikes hard enough to shatter the object. This common game is presumably one reason why so many halflings grow up to be so adept with missile weapons.

A Sling is a cord with a bag on the end and you HURL rocks or whatever you want with it. The harder you can throw, the more distance and power you get with it.

.. and we remember.. "Attack roll and damage modifiers for Strength are always used when an attack is made with a "hurled" weapon. BUT.. "Dexterity modifiers to the attack roll are applied when making a missile attack with a hand-held weapon. Thus, a character adds his Dexterity modifier when using a bow, crossbow, or axe but not when firing a trebuchet or other siege engine."

2nd Ed PHB
    Damage Adjustment also applies to combat. The listed number is added to or subtracted from the dice rolled to determine the damage caused by an attack (regardless of subtractions, a successful attack roll can never cause less than 1 point of damage). For example, a short sword normally causes 1d6 points of damage (a range of 1 to 6). An attacker with Strength 17 causes one extra point of damage, for a range of 2 to 7 points of damage. The damage adjustment also applies to missile weapons, although bows must be specially made to gain the bonus; crossbows never benefit from the user's Strength.

Missile combat is defined as any time a weapon is shot, thrown, hurled, kicked, or otherwise propelled. Missile and melee combat have the same basic rules, but there are special situations and modifiers that apply only to missile combat.

A positive Strength modifier can be applied to bows if the character has a special bow made for him, designed to take advantage of his high Strength. Characters with Strength penalties always suffer them when using a bow weapon. They simply are not able to draw back the bowstring far enough. Characters never have Strength modifiers when using crossbows--the power of the shot is imparted by a machine, not the player character.

Conclusion:
    By the rules, the Strength modifier to Damage should be added to Darts, Slings, Throwing Axes, Throwing Daggers and "some" (special made) Bows.
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Well.. it is kinda obvious that everything you throw depends on your strength. Crossbow is a machine, it will shoot with the same force for everyone, from a little girl to an hill giant.

Sling or a thrown weapon use your strength as the force, so a more powerful man with throw with more power, hence doing more damage.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Thorsson said:

Senash said:

Thorsson said:

Well, I did thinnk that darts used in BG as weapons are different, but you are right, I didn't know how different or bigger they are. Still I think that they are quite small and also I think that the ones used in the game are somewhere between these war darts and the small "bar darts" or "sport darts"...
    About the slings, cause people here still keep saying how you can put strenght in it:

"A sling has a small cradle or pouch in the middle of two lengths of cord. The sling stone is placed in the pouch. The index finger is placed through the loop, the other string has a tab that is placed between the thumb and forefinger. The sling is swung and with a flick of the wrist the tab is released at the precise moment. This frees the projectile to fly to the target.The sling derives its effectiveness by essentially extending the length of a human arm, thus allowing stones to be thrown several times farther than they could be by hand."
    From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_(weapon)#Combat)

From this it is quite obvious for me that this action does not require strenght. Well, ofc you need some, but I still don't think it's so relevant. "The sling is swung and with a flick of the wrist the tab is released". The speed of the bullet depends on how fast you can spin the sling, not how hard you can throw. The only muscles you use are your wrist and index finger for release. If you try to use your whole arm, you will just end up making bigger, but slower circles, therefore actually lowering the speed of the projectile, and thus the damage. It's about how quick and how small ciclres can you do with your wrist, which is more like a Dexterity thing if you ask me. And theres just a physical limit of how fast you can swing than thing.

Also, here's a video of Larry Bray (former record holder for Guinness World Record distance of an object thrown with a sling) using a sling, just so we can get a good picture of how it's used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvmpyzL4wd4

It also turns out I was a bit wrong, since you, apparently, don't spin it above yourhead, just give it a swing.
    @Senash I agree with your view that Slings are not mainly dependent on strength, but rather technique, however I think it clear that D&D Darts and Daggers are not inherently different to axes, they rely largely on the thrower's strength to import force.

@Kurumi I'm sorry but your logic fails to convince. Slings are not hurled, but otherwise propelled. It's a good story about the Halflings, but there's not anything to say it's other than the simple mechanics of normal damage. Maybe it takes a critical hit to smash them. Equally the argument about 3rd Edition, well frankly that doesn't wash. So many things have changed over the years that you cannot take a rule from one edition and assume it is the same in all.
    edited December 2012
    OK I've looked further and found two references that pretty much confirm that Slings are not hurled weapons. In the Complete Bard's Handbook it says the following, "Jongleurs can use all hurled weapons. A hurled weapon is any weapon that can be thrown (this does not include bows, blowguns or other missile weapons that are fired or shot). Otherwise Jongleurs are restricted to the following weapons: polearms, quarterstaff, sling, staff sling, and whip."

Clearly sling was not included in the hurled weapon category.

Then in the Player's Option Skill & Powers Book it says the following in relation to creating your own customized halfling character: "Attack Bonus (5): +1 bonus with hurled weapons and slings."

Seems pretty clear then that slings are not hurled weapons.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited December 2012
    Thorsson said:

@Kurumi I'm sorry but your logic fails to convince. Slings are not hurled, but otherwise propelled. It's a good story about the Halflings, but there's not anything to say it's other than the simple mechanics of normal damage. Maybe it takes a critical hit to smash them. Equally the argument about 3rd Edition, well frankly that doesn't wash. So many things have changed over the years that you cannot take a rule from one edition and assume it is the same in all.

So does yours.. if you say they are "otherwise propelled", then you automatically agree with what I just said nevertheless, because "otherwise propelled" is still in the same category as "hurled" weapons are (both are mentioned under "Missile combat") and as you can also read in the 2nd Ed PHP (Chapter 1: Player Character Ability Scores - Damage Adjustment) the damage adjustment also applies to missile weapons.

And that so many things have changed from edition to edition is really the best answer you can give?
    Have to disappoint you here, too, because as I already mentioned the way the bonus applies is also the same in 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, .. even Pathfinder and d20 SRD.. all those systems use this adjustment.. don't say you don't see continuity here.. because it is obviously there.

2.0 Ed DMG
    Missile combat is defined as any time a weapon is shot, thrown, hurled, kicked, or otherwise propelled. Missile and melee combat have the same basic rules, but there are special situations and modifiers that apply only to missile combat.
    Thorsson said:

They ought to weigh something I agree, because a bar dart would do very little damage at all, whoever hurled it - the point is too short and too thin.

And no a dart would not hit as hard as an arrow, but it would be close over a short distance. That is already covered by doing less base damage and having a shorter range.
    There really isn't much difference between the range of a dart and even a composite bow in BGEE, though, as max range is the 30' sight range limit in BGEE and unfortunately you can't even use another character as a "spotter" to increase range.

There really isn't much difference between the range of a dart and even a composite bow in BGEE, though, as max range is the 30' sight range limit in BGEE and unfortunately you can't even use another character as a "spotter" to increase range.

They should be quite different, but I assume the 30' is an engine limitation. Perhaps there should be an adjustment to bows to make up for this effective "nerf".
    @Kurumi, I already gave two quotes from source material, pretty much proving that slings are not hurled weapons. What more do you need to see? Well I have a clincher...

All the editions you quote are after AD&D. The one based on the predecessor for this game is OSRIC. Here's what that says:

"Some specially-made bows (sold at special cost if at all—GM’s discretion) permit the user to add his or her strength bonus to damage inflicted with the weapon. Otherwise the strength damage bonus with missile weapons is restricted to hurled weapons (axes, hammers, clubs, darts, javelins and spears)."

That seems pretty damn clear; notice the lack of sling in there? Notice how close the wording is to AD&D 2? That's because 2 came out of AD&D whereas 3 was a revised system. Time for you to man up and admit that you're wrong.
    Thorsson said:

They should be quite different, but I assume the 30' is an engine limitation. Perhaps there should be an adjustment to bows to make up for this effective "nerf".
    Also, raising their range would make them quite OP......
  • HoratioHoratio Member Posts: 18
    It's not really a big deal, you can use Nearinfinity to fix thrown weapons to add STR to damage to bring it in line with the official rules. If anyone needs help with this I am more than happy to be of assistance.
    Senash said:

That is true, I was thinking of suggesting a speed improvement, but that would be similar...
    Senash said:

Thorsson said:

I agree, but was just pointing this out to show that darts don't lose out much on bows in terms of range (another reason IMHO *not* to add strength damage to darts, as they're already quite powerful with 3 APR...)