Skip to content

A workable solution to Intel graphic chipset problems.

Comments

• albinocobraalbinocobra Member Posts: 56
    @ibitato @phonzee Old GM965 here too. Works without a glitch.

I'm running it on Lenovo R61i: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-68197 -> version with 1,5 Ghz, GM965, 3 GB of RAM and Vista Ultimate 32 bit (not that it matters for this discussion).
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64

@ibitato @phonzee Old GM965 here too. Works without a glitch.

I'm running it on Lenovo R61i: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-68197 -> version with 1,5 Ghz, GM965, 3 GB of RAM and Vista Ultimate 32 bit (not that it matters for this discussion).

mine is GM945 , that's the problem
    thanks anyways

• limalama45limalama45 Member Posts: 32
    Thank you so much! I can finally play without waiting 44 Edwin 2 cast magic missles which took like 2 mins! You're a star! :)
    Anduin
  • CMNCMN Member Posts: 9
    @anduin

It worked for me!Thank you so much! I've created this forum account just to say this! You are my hero!
    Anduin
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    *sob*

I have a tear in my eye just knowing you can watch Gorion being murdered over Christmas...

Thank you for the positive feedback @limalama45 and @CMN makes it all worthwhile!
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I should probably mention that I have got Ubuntu working now. The game is now running miles better than what it was on windows 7, though the starting movie still stutters slightly and I think there is the occasional slowdown. I've also experienced the odd slow down on Ubuntu on my system, especially when trying to change the volume through the keyboard. Still, it will do much better than working it on windows until Overhaul finish work on their solution.

Though I'm just wondering if there is a way to access my saves from windows? I can run BG:EE, but I can't access my saves from windows (and vice versa with any game started on Ubuntu).
    @redguard start in ubuntu. In the same way you accessed baldur's gate going through the host folder, find your saved games under where you have them on your windows. For me this was host/users/Anduin/documents/baldur'sgateenhancededition/saves. Copy the save you want, then take it to the home folder in Ubuntu, where the Ubuntu baldur's gate save folder is.

Yep. At first my game went slow, especially when I turned the volume up and down via the key volume specific on my laptop. An update sorted it. Also updates will be downloaded when your not playing unless you turn off your wifi.

Not sure if this will be a resolution. Click on the square button at the bottom of the row of icons (think it's under the Ubuntu 1 music button) it will have some updates (I had 22 myself today) click it and update it all. For your first time updating you may have up to 227 updates to sort out!

Hopefully this should sort it. It will also stop Ubuntu slowing down from checking for updates.

Also, you could try changing your baldur.ini. Use the OpenGL 1 trick.

Lastly, you could try repairing your install (see earlier posts) this had the desired effect for one user.

Tell me what happens and may the force be with you...
    RedGuardlimalama45
    @RedGuard Has gameplay improved?

Just got back from a holiday in Wales... There was not even a land line telephone connection at the thatched cottage we stayed in... Actually electricity was pretty intermittent...
    Yeah, I was a bit busy myself over the hols (especially getting drunk on Hogmany lol). Though sadly the situation is a bit worse for me. I'm still noticing some slight stuttering during the Black Pits video (I think the main BG:EE opening is playing better though). However, the main problem for me is after the installing of the Ubuntu updates, BG:EE's menus all flicker like you wouldn't believe.

I can still get into the game itself, but any menu, from the opening menu to the in game GUI flicker like crazy. I've tried the repair install and the OpenGL, but it doesn't make a difference sadly (to the flickering at least).
    Anduin
    edited January 2013
    @RedGuard The flickering started to happen to me. Completely goes away when windowed on mine... Darn ubuntu updates... Hopefully another update will correct it...

EDIT: Put baldur's gate into windows mode, rather than full screen mode, (Not running it in windows or throwing the computer out the window for clarity...)
    RedGuard
    Yeah, that seems to have have done the trick. I'm still getting the same issue with the Black Pits intro, but it's negligible (just some odd sound issues). Other than that it seems to be working fine enough. Thanks @Anduin
  • CirroseCirrose Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Step 4 = My operating system is 64 bits (Windows 7 Home Premium), does it mean that this solution won't work for me?
    @Cirrose My system is 64 bit and the solution works for me... You just need to use the 32 bit architecture... (i.e. Just follow the step 4 as given) However, it is April now... They could have fixed it (Ubuntu)... Although they may have not...
    Cirrose
  • CirroseCirrose Member Posts: 2
    God bless you Anduin, works great, thank you.
    Anduin
  • Aero45308Aero45308 Member Posts: 7
    I think I am going to have to give up. I have Windows 7 Starter on my Laptop. I did everything from updating the .ini file to comparability mode both of which did not work. I then installed Ubuntu and it started with no problems at all, but I am getting worse lag with Ubuntu than I was with Windows 7. @Anduin I really appreciate the thinking outside of the box. It did give me a lot of hope; however, still no luck. Is there anything else that could be fixed or am I just sh** out of luck?
    edited April 2013
    Have you played in windows mode? Full screen causes lag for some reason.

Try that first. Then think about spending money on an ipad...

It just occurred to me you may have also edited the .ini file accidently. This was a major headache to another user. Please look at the pictures below the main post.
    Aero45308
    Anduin said:

Have you played in windows mode? Full screen causes lag for some reason.

Try that first. Then think about spending money on an ipad...

It just occurred to me you may have also edited the .ini file accidently. This was a major headache to another user. Please look at the pictures below the main post.

Should I edit the .ini file in Ubuntu at all? I haven't made any changes to it since I made the changes in Windows 7. I'm very limited in my computer knowledge, is there any chance my laptop is not powerful enough to run it. I am using an HP Mini Netbook with only 1 gig ram. The chipset when I last checked was Intel 3150 (If that means anything to you)
    @Anduin I love you man!!! I found out what my issue was. I needed to add OpenGL Version line into my .ini file located within Ubuntu. The game is now sizzling through with Wine on Ubuntu. You, my friend, have just brought back one of the greatest games of all times for me. Much appreciation!!!
    Anduin
    @Aero45308 Yay! missed your earlier post. I am glad it all worked out. For future reference, the .ini file can be dangerous to edit. If it goes wrong, click the repair button to solve. :)

*sobs in happiness as another child of murder is let loose onto the planet*
    Aero45308lolien
    @Anduin So because of your very insightful post I was able to get Baldur's Gate to work with no problems at all. Now Ubuntu did some update and now when I go to Baldur's Gate it gives a most annoying flickering. It worked fine prior to the Ubuntu Update. Any ideas what could be wrong?
    Never mind. I just had to read above. I guess I should not have updated Ubuntu :( Got it working in window mode though.
    RedGuard
    @Aero45308 Yeah, one of the updates made it so the menus flickered. Still at least it works at all, even if you have to be in window mode. Hopefully Beamdog are still working on a solution to this problem.
    @aero45308 and @redguard .

All the tweets and announcements seem to suggest they are working on a solution through directx.

But in the meantime... ... ... ;)
    RedGuardAero45308
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Anduin said:

@aero45308 and @redguard .
    All the tweets and announcements seem to suggest they are working on a solution through directx

FTFY
    AnduinAero45308
    @Cerevant Thank you for the info. How are they fixing it then?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I don't know the technical details, but they are still using OpenGL
    Anduin
    @Anduin and @RedGuard I was just asked if I wanted to update to Ubuntu 13.04. Have either of you tried it? If so any change to the workability of Baldur's Gate?
    I have changed... Yet just woke up in ol' blighty. Will let you know of any repercussions. I expect none.
    Just been playing without a hitch... Can't see what has changed with the update to be honest...
    Same I just made the change and no issues at all. Still can't play in full screen mode, but windowed is going off without a hitch.
    Anduin