Skip to content

Cleric/Mage Stats (94 pt allocation)

I just rolled a 94 a couple rolls in (woot) and think I'm going to stick with that roll.

this is what I think the allocation may go like, anythoughts?

str 12
dex 18
con 15
int 18
wis 18
cha 13

15 con since I can get the tome for 16

12 str to shoulder some shield/weaps (maybe elven chain in bg2 i dunno)

I usually like my mains charisma to be higher, but maybe not this time.

so any thoughts?

Comments

• BorttymLBorttymL Member Posts: 1
    for a cleric/mage multiclass as the title states, I forgot to put that in the actual comment
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd go gnome and pump the con to 18 for the save bonus and just take the 3 charisma with left overs in strength.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    Charisma is completely useless, make someone with high charisma your leader and he/she counts, and in BG there is a nifty ring available right at the beginning that sets your CHA to 18 anyway. (if it's that important to you)
    CON is way more important - I assume you'll play BG2 with it as well - than CHA...as mentioned above.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    Make Charisma 12, with Friends you can boost to 18 + 2 with the cloak which is enough for the shop discount. Put the point into Strength.
    On my Gnome Cleric/Illusionist I managed to roll 96 after a fair while.
    Str 15
    Dex 18
    Con 15
    Int 19
    Wis 17
    Cha 12

Haven't bothered to go 18 con as 3 ability points just to get a +1 save on spells and wands I think it was, wasn't worth it and better placed in strength to give me full plate.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    94 is a nice roll.. I hardly ever roll 90+

I would drop Charisma just enough to max your Constitution

Too bad you can't just run up the Bridge in chapter 1 and get your Quayle on
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I like your stat allocation. Of course, you could swap one point from STR to CHA or the other way round, depending on your needs, but all in all that doesn't really matter much.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I think it's just fine the way it is.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    there is no difference in charisma between 8 and 12, so I'd bring that down to 8, even 7 if you plan on getting the tome first thing. bump con up to 16-18, and if you're feeling particularly powergamer-y, bump str up to 18, so you can get 19 with the tome. why? because chances are you'll be using slings with this type of character - and slings do benefit from STR bonus damage in BGEE... and +7 damage is A LOT.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @DinsdalePiranha slings don't benefit from str. They removed it ^^
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Sed said:

@DinsdalePiranha slings don't benefit from str. They removed it ^^

Not in my version of BGEE, in fact slings are currently the only ranged weapon that *do* benefit from the strength bonus, even though I think this is wrong. Not long ago I started a controversial poll about which ranged weapons *ought* to get the strength bonus in BGEE, see:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13405/which-ranged-weapons-in-bgee-do-you-think-ought-to-add-strength-damage/p1
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    edited December 2012
    @BorttymL would have done this:

Strength 10
    Dexterity 18
    Constitution 18
    Intelligence 18
    Wisdom 18
    Charisma 12

With the higher CON you can wear the Claw of Kazaroth, which will give you -2 Con but incredible saving throw bonuses and a =1 to AC that stacks with rings of protection and the like.

I would have put a + in single weapon fighting and + into Hammer for Ashadeena +2, you'd get another -1 to AC and you'd have a weapon that can damage through stone skin with it's electrical damage. I would also use slings and constantly memorize the spell draw upon holy might which will bump your strength up to 18/50 which is more than respectable for power gaming since there is really only a few decent level 2 priest spells.

Memorize Friends and find familiar as starting spells and don't give back the scroll of identify to Firebeard at the start of Candlekeep.

When you need 18+ Charisma you'll have it with Friends. And if you want 20 (which you REALLY don't need since money is easy to get) you can always pickpocket the cloak from Fieldpost.

In this case, this is a Character who will benefit from hording the tomes for stat boosts.

So Dex, and Int should get a bump to 19...and Wisdom can go to 21. For max AC and Spell bonuses. (You will hardly ever run out of spells and will be able to always memorize every scroll)

The Con, Strength and Charisma tomes should go to party members who will benefit since they won't really do much of anything for you.

This is not a class I would normally play, but it can be incredibly strong as a spell caster, and even as a solo class. If you're are soloing just take the other tomes and use them for slight buffs.

Though 19 strength is nice for the carry weight, it's not really something I think a mage would have, and since you have the spell draw upon holy might giving yourself the claw of kazaroth without losing hit point bonuses is AMAZING...in BG2 you'll still benefit from additional saving throw bonuses from high con, and you can take the claw with you during the early game. But there's tons of Strength belts in BG2 as well as other items that increase strength...AND potions...AND a great level 2 spell...it's just...not that important.