Skip to content

Which one of these common hobbies/activities doesn't interest you?

H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
Just a "for fun" poll, based around curiosity. I have listed a some common activities that a lot people consider "fun." I wanted to see out of these, which ones do you guys gain little to no enjoyment from - which of these "normal" functions, do you just not care for? Personally, I find don't find any of these really fun at all.
  1. Which one of these common hobby/acticity doesn't interset you?81 votes
    1. Reading
        0.00%
    2. Sports (watching or playing)
      19.75%
    3. Going to concerts
      12.35%
    4. Going to the movies
        3.70%
    5. Parties/social gatherings
        3.70%
    6. Drinking and/or drinking games
      13.58%
    7. some of these (list below)
      20.99%
    8. none of the above
      20.99%
    9. all of the above
        4.94%
Post edited by H0RSE on

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Concerts. Live music doesn't do anything for me. I prefer studio, it sounds much better and you usually won't hear the flaws in singing or playing instruments. One exception is if the singer is a female soprano and if its the right kind of concert, it'll amplify her voice to sound even better than a studio.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    I agree. I prefer my music to sound cleaned up as well. I also don't like crowds.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I hate huge crowds.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Concerts. I'm not huge into music in general, so I'm not going to spend money going to a concert. I'm also not that into going to movies at theaters. I'd rather watch it at home where I can lie down on the couch and talk as much as I want.
    DjimmyTJ_Hooker
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I first read "Which one of these common hobbit activities doesn't interest you?" lol

I mainly dislike drinking and I don't go to movies often. I prefer watching them at home.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I would have to mark more than one option actually I don't like crowds and loud music so parties and concerts were never fun to me and I avoid them whenever possible. Also I don't drink, so no drinking games for me and drunk people gets on my nerves in. Such a way that a single drunk person may be reason enough for me to leave a place.

If I want to hang out with my friends I prefer to go to a place where you don't have to shout to be heard :)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I don't see the point in drinking games. They are stupid and winning one won't prove anything good about you.

I'm not going to concerts because I don't want my ears to explode. Plus, way too many people are attending to those for my liking.

I like coming to parties, but only if there is more than few people I know. Otherwise, there is no reason for me to come.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Yeah I don't like crowds either. My anxiety would start to kick in.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    I was going to cheekily point out that "just out of curiosity" polls dont interest me, but its too close a joke to flaming to be polite. :)

On the other hand, from the list of activities, reading is about the only one I do regularly. The rest just never grab my interest.
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2012
    reading and sports. I read some when I was younger, but now its all work and video games. Also a good social gathering to get tanked on the weekend is always welcome.

It surprises me that most of you are shut-ins who hate people. I mean sure I can think of how stupid and annoying the average person is, and realize that 50% of everyone is worse than that(and they bug the shit outta me too), but you gotta get out there and interact with people anyway. Otherwise all kinds of strangeness with your personality can develop.

I couldn't imagine being happy if I sat in a dark room staring at a computer all day developing a pale radioactive glow on my face.
    booinyoureyes
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    None of the above fail to interest me.
    I'm a professional musician who's played rugby his whole life, loves reading and hasn't gone more than a week without drinking his whole adult life, bar the time spent on exercise.
    IllustairIlphalar
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Some of these. I do like parties (mainly barbeques that my wife and I host). I've just recently got back into reading. And I enjoy taking in a movie at the theater once in a while; although home theater is in some ways more enjoyable. Not interested in sports, live music, nor drinking games, though. I used to be a sports fan but it just takes too much time out of my life to follow teams.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Everything but reading and going to movies. And @thedemoninside I'm not a horrible shut-in. My job is dealing with the public on a daily basis. Given that, I'd rather not deal with them on my time off as well. Also, I feel trapped when I go out and am surrounded by huge crowds of people. Holiday shopping makes me itch to get out and get some space... Movies I can handle, because I can focus on the movie. I've been to concerts, and it's just not all that enjoyable for me- music level tends to be ear-splitting/head-splitting and I end up with a headache. I prefer classical music, anyway.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I don't like movies, parties, sports, or concerts.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited December 2012
    Now, I love a good gig, but I prefer small venues, especially independent ones. You get fantastic artists playing them, people who really know their live craft, not just an artist who happens to be filling a venue because they're the latest thing, or you can get lucky and see certain bands before they go on to bigger things. I saw Airbourne, crushed down the front in a tiny venue of about 150 capacity, it was quite possibly the most rock n roll gig I've ever been to.

It's very rare that I'll pay to see an artist at an arena venue nowerdays, not least because I loathe the scramble for tickets when they go on sale & you have to fight with a million idiots who you know are just going to stick the tickets straight up on ebay to see how much money they can get. And then there's the whole presale of the presales thing, which isn't like it used to be where it was a very select group of fanclub members who've shelled out a membership fee and had to apply in writing for the tickets, it's just whoever happens to be signed up for an artists mailing list, or listens to a certain radio station. What it really is is a way for the promoter to gauge how popular their gig is likely to be and ascertain whether they need to say go ahead to that already-penciled-in extra date. I quite like stadium gigs but I'm choosy about which bands I'll see because the trouble with stadium gigs is you get some pretty unpleasant people there who think it's perfectly acceptable to pee in empty plastic pint pots and then throw them. Generally I go to be part of the atmosphere rather than to see the artist because unless you're prepared to queue from dawn, make a dash for the barrier and stay there all day you're not likely to see much.

I also love festivals but again I prefer the smaller indie ones where you can get half decent grub, relatively clean portaloos and you stand a good chance of actually being able to see the bands.
    Awong124 said:

I'm also not that into going to movies at theaters. I'd rather watch it at home where I can lie down on the couch and talk as much as I want.

Same here on the whole, although I do like going to movies in the day on a weekday during school term time when you can usually get the place almost to yourself. I also love the screens which have the leather layzeeboy recliners, there's one near us and during the day the cost isn't much more than a standard seat. It goes up slightly in the evening as they have waiter service.

EDIT: I used to watch a lot of rugby & football but I stopped going. Not sure really why I stopped going to the rugby but we stopped going to the football as it was costing a fortune for something which was inevitably hugely disappointing, ultimately it was seeming as though we were making a big investment to be there and not getting any return on the pitch. It might seem fickle but football in the UK is no longer the working person's game it once was where your entry was £10-£15 and it didn't really matter so much if your team lost because it wasn't a huge sum of money you'd shelled out for an afternoon's entertainment.
  • Key_StrokesKey_Strokes Member Posts: 36
    I enjoy everything listed, and though I've cut down pretty heavily on drinking (and thus drinking games as a consequence) I still enjoy parties/gatherings as a social experience and for the inevitable craic.
  • KankKank Member Posts: 38
    I gave up drinking when I was in my mid-twenties. A few close calls (One with death) and I decided to just not do it anymore.
    IllustairMoomintrollAnduin
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited December 2012

Now, I love a good gig, but I prefer small venues, especially independent ones. You get fantastic artists playing them, people who really know their live craft, not just an artist who happens to be filling a venue because they're the latest thing, or you can get lucky and see certain bands before they go on to bigger things. I saw Airbourne, crushed down the front in a tiny venue of about 150 capacity, it was quite possibly the most rock n roll gig I've ever been to.

I saw Dream Theater at the Tower Theater, which has a capacity of just over 3000, and it was the best show I ever saw. It was a 20th anniversary tour, so the entire crowd were their to see DT and were all like minded. The show was just them playing through songs from all their albums - two shows with an intermission with no opening acts.

As for the choices on the list - I haven't read a book since High School...I'm 31 now. I stopped doing anything associated with sports in my teens. I am an introvert and also have anxiety problems, which leaves out gatherings and crowds, although I do occasionally see a film with my wife. I am straight edge, so I don't drink (never have) same with smoking and drugs, and I don't like being around people when they do.

As for things I actually enjoy - I draw, I mess around in Photoshop, I play video games, I enjoy theory-crafting in games, I like listening to music, I like creating music with software and I am a drummer, and I enjoy documentaries about "conspiracy theories."

After I created the poll, I realized I should have added watching TV to the list, since I generally don't do that either. I actually just got a TV (and cable) and couple months ago, mainly for my wife.

Post edited by H0RSE on
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited December 2012
    It's love-hate to some of those listed for me.

Drinking and/or drinking games: I dislike drinking alcohol since sometimes I get phlegm problems as a side effect or on rare occasions I get an allergy. But I enjoy the times I have one, since they are mostly when I hang out with my friends. The sessions are always fun-filled with laughs and silly jokes. Unfortunately, we no longer go out as frequently as we used to be.

Parties/social gatherings: I'm very lazy, and always ask myself when I go to one - "do I really have to go there?". I'm also very private that I hate crowds. But when I get there, most of the time I do enjoy being there. Although I have to admit, I hate it when my girlfriend brings me to events with not one person that I know of. They're fine people and I think I can get along just fine, but seems so unnecessary that I have to meet and befriend them also.

Going to concerts: almost the same story as above.

Sports: I used to love basketball when I was in high school. Now I don't anymore; I can't even bear watching a whole game...I apparently find the sport boring now. Never played for more than 30 minutes for a long long long time. But I like watching combat sports like MMA or boxing...I wish I was the type of person who doesn't mind losing; I may have had tried the said sports myself...but with those sports, one is bound to get knocked down every now and then.

Reading: I've never been a bookworm. I dislike reading to be honest, especially when it is related academically. Although at times, when start reading books I usually get hooked and read non-stop for a long time...just as long as they're not a story book (I usually couldn't get past chapter 1). But I like reading online articles, news, etc.

EDIT:
    Splod said:

None of the above fail to interest me.
    I'm a professional musician who's played rugby his whole life, loves reading and hasn't gone more than a week without drinking his whole adult life, bar the time spent on exercise.

That's a very healthy and well-spent life you got there, bud. Music, sports, books, beers, gym, computer games. Good for you! Never been into playing music, I don't know why...probably because my dad is a jack of all trades master of none with musical instruments and he likes me to be the same; probably because I hate it when something is forced into me. But I do like listening to it, and sometimes singing along.

• RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    I don't care about sports, but I practice martial arts (kendo & iaido).
    Moomintroll
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    Most concerts I've been to were meh, and so I voted that concerts are probably the only thing on the list I don't like. I love music, but more as a solitary, oniric experience.

If I want to see a crowd, sports and parties are the way to go for me !
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I dislike sports the most, but drinking is a close second. I stopped being addicted 11 years ago and my life has been all the more fulfilling for it, or at least, it isn't handicapped by being hung-over and absent-minded all the time, besides my depressions. And to those who think sports are good for your mental health: I don't dislike physical exercise, but the only exercise I like is biking and cycling. Going somewhere and seeing something is much more enjoyable than trying to score points in some stupid game on the same field over and over again.
    mlnevese
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2013
    I dislike the movies my 50 bucks can be spent better places. I would have been happy when the shooter showed up, most of the time I just fall asleep anyway. Love concerts, lovvve a good book, love sports, (have a 2-0 mma record) and I like parties but don't really drink. I like long walks on the beach, candycorn, and chubby girls that are into D&D ;).

Any great warrior is also a scholar, and a poet, and an artist. - Steven Seagal

Edit: These are for the comments above
    Zel I think they always say everyone wins in a drinking game :)
    My styles: juijitsu, bando, muay thai, catch wreastling, and sambo
    Illustair
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I said sports. There are some genres I enjoy watching/playing, but as a general whole, I find sports highly overrated. (*cough*football*cough*)
    All the other stuff I enjoy very much. ^^

I was at a party yesterday (duh, new year's), where there were drinking games. Over the past week I have been rereading a lot of books in the Forgotten Realms setting. Last week I went to a play/concert, and just 3 days ago I watched Finding Nemo 3D in the cinema. So yeah. ^^
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    edited January 2013
    I don't care about sports, concerts (though I listen music otherwise), social gatherings, or drinking. I go to movies rarely, but it happens.

I've read practically the entire fantasy section of the library around here.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    @Chaotic_Good
    50 bucks?? That's how expensive the movies are there? Heck, if converted, ours here would only cost 3-5 dollars.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2013
    It is like 20-25$ per ticket I was thinking two 20$ tickets + snacks. 3D cost even more the cost is just to much for nothing.

If you interested in mma, you should go into a grappling gym. I say grappling cause no one likes getting punched in the face :). No matter what kind of gym you would choose, remember you get to set your own pace If you don't feel ready for something tell them they may rib you a lil bit but they understand.

It is understandable, people that don't fight equate fighting with death, or at least I did a one point in my life. It is the reason people call the police, bring knifes, and guns to fights on occasion. When I embraced combat it all changed, a fight is something festive that awakens us in a primal manner; but since I now have the power to kill maybe it was not the combat, but death that I embraced. - Shawn Farthing
    Post edited by Chaotic_Good on
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    In my case, I'd say parties/social gatherings. I just don't see the point. Being in a large group only makes me feel awkward and my family isn't really that close to me. They usually chat over my head anyway...or in the case of my aunts, behind my back. *wry smile* I prefer to be on my own or together with either my best childhood friend or my boyfriend. These are two people I trust with all my heart, even more so than my immediate family. I tell them about everything.

I also just don't like overly noisy environments. I'm best left on my own, at peace. Give me some space to order my thoughts and to relax. Unfortunately, I live in a fully capitalist country, where rest and peace are quite a rarity. I sometimes dream of living somewhere in an Eastern country, in a beautiful natural environment where I can see the sun rise from my window and where the climate is nice and soft as well. A bit like China, maybe. It would mean ultimate happiness for me.

There's also the drinking game thing. I never liked alcohol and have thus never drunk something alcoholic. I don't see the point either in getting drunk together with some friends. It only undermines your health and you aren't aware of what you're doing while being drunk. You might end up in a bed somewhere and get pregnant or become a dad from a total stranger, without no memories at all. Of course this is a bit extreme. But still. I just don't see the appeal in alcohol. Call me a loser, it is what it is. I prefer to keep in control of what I'm doing and saying.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Kank said:

I gave up drinking when I was in my mid-twenties. A few close calls (One with death) and I decided to just not do it anymore.

You sound like the kinda guy I need to take back out with me for a night on the tiles!

Worst drinking disaster for me was drinking to much, falling asleep on a park bench, then waking with my head jammed between the slats.

A kind mate returned with some butter and washing up liquid to apply to my ears...

*with tear in eye* Them were the days *sniff*

All good to me on this list... Although if we could include more swords it would be better.

Reading... WITH SWORDS!

Going to a concert... WITH SWORDS!

Drinking and drinking games... WITH SWORDS!

None of the above just SWORDS!

Plastic swords mostly... The health and safety brigade wont let you into the pub with a real sword... or even with trainers on! (But if you dress as little horny devil, it is suddenly okay to take a pointy trident! *angry fume*)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

I also just don't like overly noisy environments. I'm best left on my own, at peace. Give me some space to order my thoughts and to relax. Unfortunately, I live in a fully capitalist country, where rest and peace are quite a rarity. I sometimes dream of living somewhere in an Eastern country, in a beautiful natural environment where I can see the sun rise from my window and where the climate is nice and soft as well. A bit like China, maybe. It would mean ultimate happiness for me.

What does capitalism have to do with alone time? And when you think of blissful, natural environments, China is what springs to mind?
    booinyoureyes