Skip to content

Who actually takes Nalia?

So I know Nalia gets a lot of hate, and I was wondering who actually takes/likes her. I know a lot of people dislike her personality, which I personally don't mind. I also know most people that use her only use her until they get Imoen back.

Is there anybody like me who finds it hard to not have her in my party? Any time I am playing Good or Neutral I usually keep her around even with Imoen all the way through TOB.

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I take all the NPCs when I play, even the vapid self-absorbed ones with a child's idea of good and evil who whine about not helping peasants whilst clearing out their keep.
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    She is the only NPC in BG2 I don't like. She is annoying, and she offers nothing new. Her story is not that great and you can do it without her. I don't get it at all why they made two Imoens. What is the idea?
    Riolathel
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I've actually picked her many times , and would do that again!
    SamuelVargSCARY_WIZARD
  • LamorackLamorack Member Posts: 24
    I've had her for a bit but never kept her... I think her storyline about her father is interesting, after the Keep -- and I like the reactions she gets from other characters, especially the more evil ones. I was interested in her progression in TOB; she changes class slightly doesn't she? Or just becomes a more powerful mage, I can't remember. I remember summoning her (and then abandoning her in another dimension, oops) and she has an introduction text that suggests she has matured and isn't quite so useless now. I may be wrong though.
    DJKajurujcdenton11
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    I think the fact that Nalia and Imoen have the same class combination is due to the fact that they planned to have Imoen die in Spellhold until very late, and by then it was probably too late to change Nalia.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    To the guys that state Nalia is redundant/being Imoen2. Maybe that is true but why is that something bad. If they make all the NPCs to be too different just for the sake of being different, that would make things unreal. It is like creating areas only for the main quest and nothing else. I don't quite get that. In real life do you have friends that are redundant? I personally don't hate Nalia but nowadays I play mostly solo.
    CandleBeside
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    I think the reason behind Nalia being a lesser clone of Imoen is that she was meant to replace Imoen till Spellhold. But a the end you can also take both or neither in your party. Is it entirely up to you.
    SCARY_WIZARDTJ_Hooker
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I used to like her a lot, but she's just not as good as some other options. I've always been intrigued by that "deleted evil subplot, " though. No clue where it comes from, but I've heard it a bunch
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Since I do not take Edwin on my good playthroughs, I mostly (like other people in fact) use Nalia for the pierce magic / lower resistance spell that are available earlier than with Jan or Aerie.

it's useful against mages or dragons early on (in fact before going to spellhold), if you want to collect the best items (Carsomyr, ...).
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Nalia is OK
    Her quests are pretty good
    and if you are a fighter who get her castle
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    I traveled a lot with her in my first playthrough (half orc barbarian) after liberating her family's keep i booted her so hard that she may have landed on moon.
    She is OK as gameplay persperctive but irritating as a person. "Help him,her, them, there and etc"... she never relaized that my char is chatioc good i think.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I like her as an NPC. Her personality is of course a little enervating, but I found it to be far less of an annoyance than people make it out to be.

Nalia is an ideal primary caster for a good or neutral party, if Charname isn't one already. You get her early, she's basically single-classed and non-specialized. Edwin is evil and requires hoops to go through, Jan is multiclassed and so frail (he died on me time and again until I booted him), and Aerie... Well. She's also multiclassed, and she's a REALLY annoying character compared to Nalia.

So, in short, I like her. Imoen lags behind in levels when you get her back, Charname is a Blade in my case, so Nalia makes for a perfect main mage.
    Jaxsbudgie
  • KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    Seldom. I took her in a recent playthrough using L1npc to alter her class. I think I made her a monk. I figured the pseudo-thief abilities of monk kinda meshed with her pseudo-thief abilities she has from being level four prior to dualling, even if she sort of lacks the "Enlightenment" aspect of being a monk.

Really, I would like her more and take her more often if she was a different class. BG2 is absolutely overflowing with people who can use wizard spells.

Imoen, Aerie, Nalia, Jan, Edwin, Haer'Dalis and now Neera. Plus possibly CHARNAME and Mr. TOB.

I love mages as much as the next guy, but that's too much. She should be moved to a less-occupied niche. Straight thief with dual optional would be ok (A niche shared with only Jan, Yoshi, CHARNAME and Mr. TOB, unless BG2EE adds in total-importing, to let your BGEE npcs transfer as-is to BG2EE, then Imoen too maybe). There's a sarcastic part of me that screams "Jester".

Really, she could kind of be anything. Just have them give her the Open Lock command as a character-special (like the many character-specials in BG1) that she can't get any better in.

Cleric/Druid probably wouldn't fit. Doesn't seem like a Ranger or Paladin.
    Mage? Meeeeh. I'm not sure I buy the "I'm a scholar!!" that would be implicit in her being a mage.

Sorcerer might be a good fit for a child, raised in a secluded keep who is suddenly powerful for no real reason. Possibly Fighter/Thief multi. She's only 1 strength from being a Fighter->Thief.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    She has a nice ring and a good questline. I sometimes take her.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I usually take her during Imoen's absence. I strongly prefer good characters and parties, and lean towards warrior types for my PC, so Aerie and Imoen/Nalia typically are my mages.

I would also add that even if she's a bit annoying personally her quest lines are excellent and generate more XP than most. So I stick around Amn until her story is complete. Then I usually swap her with Yoshimo and head to Spellhold.
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I usually took both Nalia and Imoen. They are both powerful characters at end game.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    almost always pick Nalia. she's the only good single class (practically) mage and I HATE aerie. imoen + nalia are awesome together. i don't even think she's all that annoying
    elminster
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited January 2013
    1- She's a competent mage
    2- Has a consistent personality and a background that matches her dual classing option .
    3-THREE subquests and a lot of interaction.
    4-Finally, she has a ring of protection +2 that gives 50% fire protection.

Really, why is she so bad?
    elminsterJaxsbudgieQuartz
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I like Nalia. The only BG II NPC I found slightly annoying was whiny Aerie.
    Well, she can't really use Wish...
  • toshirotoshiro Member Posts: 113
    It easy to not take her, even that annoying little gnome is a better thief as far her magic both both imoen and edward are better magic users, and you yoshimo til you imoen back
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I accidentally Imoen. Is this dangerous?
    SCARY_WIZARDThe_New_RomanceQuartz
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    SCARY_WIZARDlunar
  • DreamingViksDreamingViks Member Posts: 87

I don't personally dislike her, she is just completely redundant. Inferior to Imoen in many ways, and she isnt your sister. Why they added her and not a different class combo is beyond me.

*spoiler*

maybe since Imoen was meant to die in the earlier stages of the game?

Quartz
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I took her the last play through and I guess I like her too.
    @DreamingViks Whaaaaat?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2013
    Yeah Imoen shouldn't resist when her soul is pulled and she was supposed to die in Spellhold. This changed very late in the game development.
    rdarkenQuartz
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    I don't even understand why Nalia is in the game. Maybe foreshadowing to the garbage developer Bioware has unfortunately become.