Skip to content

Player how-to: Getting mods to work on BGEE

Comments

• KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    edited December 2012
    So, is there any way of making a safe clean backup before i get on with installing mods?
    Since WeiDu still isn't compatible yet and most of the mods still need some tweakfiling for EE i'd like to have the option to get back to a vanilla install if needed.

Anybody here know which files need backing up etc?
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    @KingGhidorah Actually WeiDU works great, you just have to tweak a few things to make it compatible. Just hardlink the dialogue file into ../data/00766/ and extract the files from TUTORIAL.BIF into your override folder. It should be able to handle the rest. I've been using WeiDU for my kit modding over the past couple days with no problems (from it, anyway).

As for backups, I think just backing up your DIALOG.TLK and BALDUR.INI (or whatever it's called) files are the only critical issues. I'd also back up your saves from time to time, especially if you are using Shadowkeeper or anything like it (some innocuous changes can critically break a save after editing).
  • RagingOrcRagingOrc Member Posts: 63
    Hmm, they reverted back... How annoying. Will try again..
  • faceless1963faceless1963 Member Posts: 143
    maybe the programmer of weidu is a little bit fucked up because of the fact that he was ignored for about three years. it had been easy for overhaul in the past to ask nicely how to make bgee compatible to existing mods. on the otherside: who would buy bgee if it where compabtible with the excisting mods. for now bgee is a less stable running bigworldexpansion for an amount of 20 dollar.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited December 2012

for now bgee is a less stable running bigworldexpansion for an amount of 20 dollar.

You are correct, at this time. But it's only been three weeks since release, whereas the original games were worked on for more than a decade. Give it time, there's potential in the EE to allow for modding that previously wasn't possible.
    GuarocuyaermoDemonNeclord
  • revanbhrevanbh Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2012
    Hmm. Can't extract Tutorial.bif files with Near Infinity after updating my game with the latest patch. I shift all the files to the right, click Save, and then NI reports error during extraction. Any thoughts?

Never mind. Got it working. For those having similar issues, try using latest beta version of NI. I got mine from Sorcerer's Place.
    Post edited by revanbh on
  • MirenheartMirenheart Member Posts: 41
    Near Infinity is also giving me an error upon extraction. Only, downloading the latest beta of it did not work.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Mirenheart
    Specifics? What is the error message? Make sure you have permission to write to the folder (if you haven't, nothing will work).
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Also make sure an override folder exists before extraction.
  • horredtheplaguehorredtheplague Member, Developer Posts: 186
    I never extracted Tutorial.bif, and I've been running fine (and modding fine) for nearly two weeks. WeiDu, NI, DLTCEP w/o a hitch. Merely an override folder, and a copy of lang/en_us/dialog.tlk next to chitin.key--so it loosely resembles BG2 in the 00766 folder. I manually copy/paste dialog.tlk to the lang/en_us folder when done installing ( and backed up original files just in case). I've given the same advice to users of the BP Series mod and they've also reported success. So I'm forced to ask---are all these steps really necessary? They have not been from my experience.
    mlnevese
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    @horredtheplague Probably not, now that you mention it. Though hardlinking the dialog.tlk file does work a lot better (no need to copy and paste back and forth that way). Can anyone else confirm whether or not the tutorial files are needed for mods on their installation.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    If the latest tutorial.bif is now understandable by WeiDU that makes this way, way easier. I'll check this when I pull down the latest update.
  • MirenheartMirenheart Member Posts: 41
    @Wisp
    Just says there was an error while trying to extract. I'm pretty sure I've given myself permission, though this is a new computer I'm using, so I may have missed something somewhere.

Though, it doesn't matter now, I just copied the needed files from my Laptop (where it did work) to my new desktop and the game works fine.
  • TivaanTivaan Member Posts: 15
    I have been copying and pasting the dialog.tlk since the very first mod with no issues whatsoever.
  • mormor Member Posts: 16
    Ifollowed the steps in this guide but, I can't install any mods, here is the steps
    mor said:

'override' folder exists

Infinity->Select Data/Tutorial.bif
    Ctrl+A on the left move to right ok.
    Win7 hardlink check game load, I can play.

I tried to install several mods, game crash after I create a char or just pick random to play. I tried isolation the problem so I installed:
    BG2 Tweaks - crush
    BP Series - crush.

Anyone experienced anything like it or have any idea what is the problem?

• EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    edited January 2013
    Does anyone foresee a BWP type solution for mega-modding this version in the near future?
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Edwin said:

Does anyone foresee a BWP type solution for mega-modding this version in the near future?

In my opinion, this will never happen. That would require porting BG II to BGEE, porting all the mods to BGEE, etc. This would take years and would be a complete waste of time, given that BG + BG II already exist and BG2EE is coming.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Edwin said:

In the near future? No way. Let's say some 2 to 3 years after BG2EE is out. That's the minimum time I'd expect enough mods to be fully converted/created to make a BWP-like project even possible. After all even mecessary tools, like Weidu, are still not fully compatible.

• TheBlackThroneTheBlackThrone Member Posts: 42
    mlnevese said:

Edwin said:

In the near future? No way. Let's say some 2 to 3 years after BG2EE is out. That's the minimum time I'd expect enough mods to be fully converted/created to make a BWP-like project even possible. After all even mecessary tools, like Weidu, are still not fully compatible.

Maybe BG2EE will come with that functionality built-in. I'm assuming it wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but I don't know if their licence covers the possibility.

• ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I can't get this to work.

The command window just says to me "the system can not find the path specified" any time I attempt step three...

:(
    The first post was updated and the second post was updated with "should no longer be a problem", no longer? since when?
  • BeastmanBeastman Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2013

The command window just says to me "the system can not find the path specified" any time I attempt step three...

Had this prob, too. You are executing the command from the wrong folder. I had to do the command in my data/7066 subfolder of BGEE-Installdir. This would be my path: D:\Spiele\Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766. If I then unpack the mods into this very same dir and execute the mod-bat/exe files all works fine. If it does matter, I have Win7 64-bit.

mklink /H dialog.tlk

this part of the command makes the hardlink in the current dir you are in

.\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk

this command-part looks for the file to be hardlinked in a subfoler of the directory you are currently in.

If unsure, you can enter the fulll-name, so for example:

mklink /H dialog.tlk D:\Spiele\Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk

if there are spaces in your path name, you have to put the pathname in "".
    Post edited by Beastman on
    edited January 2013
    Beastman said:

Had this prob, too. You are executing the command from the wrong folder. I had to do the command in my data/7066 subfolder of BGEE-Installdir. This would be my path: D:\Spiele\Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766. If I then unpack the mods into this very same dir and execute the mod-bat/exe files all works fine. If it does matter, I have Win7 64-bit.

mklink /H dialog.tlk

this part of the command makes the hardlink in the current dir you are in

.\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk

this command-part looks for the file to be hardlinked in a subfoler of the directory you are currently in.

If unsure, you can enter the fulll-name, so for example:

mklink /H dialog.tlk D:\Spiele\Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk

if there are spaces in your path name, you have to put the pathname in "".

Okay so did that.
    And it says:- "Cannot create a file when that file already exists"... yeh.

And putting in the full path says "The syntax of the command is incorrect".
  • AntignitionAntignition Member Posts: 23
    After getting Weidu set up for the EE installation, is it safe to try and see if the "Send Bioware NPC's to Inns" component of SCS will work? I'd rather not leave Xan at the bottom of the mines or leave yeslick in the cloakwood if I can help it.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited January 2013
    @Antignition I'm relatively sure SCS hasn't been updated to support BG:EE yet, so that component won't work as it will refer to the wrong areas.
    @Antiginition @Kaeloree Doesn't BG2 tweaks have a similar component?
  • AntignitionAntignition Member Posts: 23
    BG2 tweaks only has improved multiplayer kick out dialogue. BG1tweaks has it, as well as the NPC project.
    *Sighs* I understand that you are all computer geniuses and frequent those boards on daily basis. However I guess I am dummy in this regard and who would appreciate "obvious" things explained.

For example statement like "should no longer be a problem," (or mod X is now supported) should come with reference to a version/date. Since not all of us have time to play games or check if there have been new updates and if our mods are compatible with the new version when we do.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    edited January 2013
    Edit: OKAY so I'm in the command prompt in the 00766 direcotry and I type the hardlink code, but the thing says Error: cannot find the file specified. *sigh* this is getting really difficult and I'm not the most computer savvy person out there. the ln -s thing isn't working, so I'm using fsutil create hardlink command instead. I feel like I'm really close to figuring this out... I just want that NPC kit mod tool to work >.<

Edit 2: OKAY so I'm looking this up, and it says that the command would be "fsutil hardlink create NewFilename ExistingFilename"

Can someone rewrite this in terms of the dialog.tlk file so I can get this properly hardlinked? I don't quite understand what this command is telling me to do
    Post edited by Xavioria on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Xavioria Try to do the following:

1) copy dialog.tlk from the 0766\lang\your language folder to the 0766 folder.
    2) Install your mod
    3) Copy dialog.tlk from 0766 folder back to your language folder.

It works with most mods and is quite simpler for those who are not tech inclined :)
    CoM_Solaufeincbones9889