Skip to content

[mod] giving NPCs classkits [tool version: alpha 6 | MOD version: 1.7]

Comments

• tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    only to make sure, you understand it right:
    Most NPCs exist on many Levels (on example imoen can come at Level 1,2,4 or 6), this Level is dependent from your own Level.
    Now my idea is to get the NPCs always at Level ,1 but with enought Exp to reach the Level which the NPC would normaly have.

currently i have a "Meet NPCs at Level 1" mod where you meet the NPC at Level 1 with no exp for Level up. This option will be still there.
    edited December 2012
    I have a nother Question, Minsc with the Bererker fight Kit has now 2 Versions of "rage" (his normal one and the one througth the Kit), can someone tell me the difference between the two?
    Post edited by tommy on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    from: http://www.gamespot.com/baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/forum/anyone-know-the-stats-for-minscs-rage-61572470/

120sec Duration
    Berserking (the effect that causes the attack anything loss of control)
    Maximum HP Bonus (+15)
    Display Special Effects Icon (Berserk)
    Fixed/Random Damage (15 piercing delayed 119s)
    Display String (When the berserk state ends, the character will take 15 damage.)
    Display String (Delayed 120s (The berserk state has ended. The character now loses the extra 15 hit points previously gained. If the character is below 15 hit points, he or she will be killed.)
    Strength Bonus (+2)
    Dexterity Bonus (+2)

Immunities:
    Stun
    Charm Specific Creature
    Horror
    Unconsciousness (wing buffet etc causes this)
    Fail Morale
    Confusion/Rigid Thinking/Fear
    Maze
    Level Drain
    Unconsciousness 20HP (power word sleep)
    Hold Creature Type
    Hold
    Feeblemindedness
    tommy
    thanks a lot @smeagolheart

"It's similar to the Berserker's. The main difference is Minsc becomes uncontrollable during his berserk when in combat."

then it would be no problem if i delete his original rage skill

@tommy if you want one less rage per day go for it. The uncontrollable part isn't a problem for the hulk and if you keep people away from him to give him a chance to get out of combat, it isn't a problem for minsc
    edited December 2012
    its only because that minsc has with the berserk MOD two different rage abilitys with the same symbol and name and this is very confusing. And i have thought if his originally berserk spell wasnt that different, i can delete it.
    Post edited by tommy on
    edited January 2013
    here comes mod version 1.2:
    -minsc-berserker mod: delete minsc default rage spell
    -all mods now come at Level 1 only with different xp, so that you can Level Up them by yourself (Level 1 mods for other NPCs and default classes will follow, but maybe not in this year )
    Post edited by tommy on
  • Emily_FrostEmily_Frost Member Posts: 1
    Imoen should not be a thief at all. She is a Stalker (which is a ranger kit) the equivalent to a spy.

*SPOILERS* (although they are right at the begining of the game lol)
    When first encountered she is aware of the player's situation even before the player, having intercepted and read a note intended for someone else. She then tracks and follows the player out of town without being seen or noticed.
    edited December 2012
    i will add this kit for her (maybe today)

i currently work on the beta version of the tool which will allow the NPC mods to work with other mods. But it will still take some days

Imoen should not be a thief at all. She is a Stalker (which is a ranger kit) the equivalent to a spy.

*SPOILERS* (although they are right at the begining of the game lol)
    When first encountered she is aware of the player's situation even before the player, having intercepted and read a note intended for someone else. She then tracks and follows the player out of town without being seen or noticed.

those actions are not out of character for a vanilla thief and she never has any afinity for animals, a famous ranger thing, and she does eventually show interest in arcane arts which is impossible again for a ranget but not a dual classed thief

tommykamuizin
    @smeagolheart
    you are right, making her to a ranger will destroy the gameplay
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    edited January 2013
    Alora being a burglar was from G3's Song and Silence, and I did the same thing with her :) it made her a bit OP too though... being able to secialize in slings and daggers and already being a halfling? lmao

And Safana was a PIRATE for god knows how long, I figure that Swashbuckler for her is pretty self explanatory, not to mention that Dualing her to mage (which I believe is possible in this game) would make her fundamentally Fighter/thief/mage which I'm sure many people would enjoy.

I think It would just be better to allow everyone all kit choices in their classes... that way people can personalize it much better.

The tool is awesome btw
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, posted too soon, I figured it out, there's a folder in the upper left hand corner that gives it all away, just in case if anyone is as blind as I am XD

Edit: Sorry for Editing AGAIN, I didn't want to make another post; after starting a new game to enjoy my Fighter/Mage Khalid, I found that the mod has not quite installed correctly. I figured I did something wrong but I have no idea what. Perhaps you can help me out here @tommy because I'm trying things I know how to do, but my modding knowhow is very limited. I had moved dialog.tlk from En_US so I could use Shadowkeeper, but after altering the copied version, I wuold just recopy and paste BACK to en_US, so I don't understand the issue there. I have other mods installed such as the new Kitpack that was made aas well as the Isra NPC, don't know if that's canceling out the install.

After installing it says everything was successful but when i go to play the changes don't take place. Please help :*(
    Post edited by Xavioria on
    i was ill the last weeks, so i havent the time to work on this mod, but i will continue soon.

@Xavioria
    where exactly is the problem? Didnt my mod work or have you tried to make a mod which doesent work?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Xavioria You don't say what was your problem with the mod but if you already had him as pure fighter in your party he won't change into a F/M because the data being used is recorded in your savegame not the game database about him.

The best way, in this case, would be to edit your savegame in Shadowkeeper and change him manually.
    edited January 2013
    LMAO I just reread what I wrote and I can see how I wasn't making much sense. Very sorry @tommy and @mlnevese, please forgive me for being frustrated XD

I'll drive you guys through my experience:
    I download the mod, and put into my BG:EE program files Directory. I run the program, and then the tool opens, so i click the folder in the upper left hand corner so the program can find what it needs to load the npcs. I go through the list and change the NPC classes/Portraits, and then press the button "install selected mods". It will then say that the mods have been installed correctly, so I close the program and enter the game.

At first I tried to talk to NPCs for the FIRST TIME in that save game and their classes weren't changed. So I figured I needed to start a new game, so I did, and their classes still weren't different.

KK SO there's the issue, as plainly as I can put it (I hope lol) and very sorry for sounding so confusing, I was just frustrated, and I'm also just terrible at explaining things XD

EDIT: WOW I feel really stupid... it was because my computer wasn't letting me alter any of the files or folders... the only reason I didn't know it was doing that was because there was no error message when it said that the mods were successfully installed.

Sorry for wasting your guys' time...
    Ok. At least now you know what was wrong :)
    edited January 2013
    Xavioria said:

At first I tried to talk to NPCs for the FIRST TIME in that save game and their classes weren't changed. So I figured I needed to start a new game, so I did, and their classes still weren't different.

if you have NOT talked to the NPC yet and if you are in the same area as the NPC its enough to leave the current area (enter a house or something else) and reenter the area with the NPC.
    Xavioria said:

Sorry for wasting your guys' time...

dont worry i will always try to help if there is any Problem whith using this tool and this mod

Edit: i will try to catch the error and show an error message in the next version
    Post edited by tommy on
  • OgaburanOgaburan Member Posts: 83
    First of all kudos for this very cool tool you have created.

Alas, it seems the option "meet npc at lvl 1" docent seem to work as you described it.

What i did;
    - I installed imoens swashbuckler kit with the meet npc at lvl 1.
    - Started a new game.
    - Cheated myself to 8k XP.
    - Met imonen.
    She was indeed a swashbuckler, but at lvl 1 with 9 xp points.

Isn't she supposed to have the same amount of XP as i do?
    If not, and its working as intended, why not add this feature.
    It always bothered me, doing things while i dont have the NPC's i actually wanted with me... the feeling of "their missing all this yummy xp" was/is a constant shadow for me.
    edited January 2013
    @Ogaburan
    i have to change the descriptions a litte bit...currently all mods come at Level 1 with the XP the NPC would normaly have, if you select "meet npc at lvl 1" the NPC will come with nearly no XP.

I will change that description in the next version

Edit: if i'm ready with the beta version of the tool, i will adapt the weapon skills for Level 1 too (currently i didnt now any tool which can change the wapons skills)
    HI, it's me again...

ANYWAYS, so I just wanted to let you know that for some reason when installing the mod, it creates an extra override folder where the dialog.tlk file is. Not sure what that's about or if it messes with any of the mod, but just wanted to let you know... or maybe it only does that for Windows XP?
    edited January 2013
    thanks, for the info, i will check this

...i have checked it and i can NOT confirm that, has anybody the same problem?

@Xavioria
    or maybe you are mistaken? the override folder should be located where the chitin.key and the baldur.exe is located
  • OgaburanOgaburan Member Posts: 83
    I installed it on pc & 2 laptops, didn't get 2 override directories on any.
    edited January 2013
    It might be just me for some insane reason. I think I'm one of the few still using XP for some reason? I don't know, but i PROMISE that it has been making an extra override folder. It's also weird, I got it to work for one day, but then the mod stopped working for me... which is after i started using shadowkeeper...

Hmmmm... I really think it's something stupid I'm doing, because I can't figure out why it just refuses to work for me. If there's any information I haven't thought of that you might need from me, I don't mind sending it to you. I will say, however, that I think maybe because this computer was reformatted somewhat incorrectly, it has some quirky behavior. I think I'm going to try to reinstall the game again and not use shadowkeeper. Perhaps that will work?

Edit: It's not your mod, it's my computer recreating an override folder there. I think it has something to do with the permissions on here. Sorry for adding another convoluted issue to your plate LMAO... Maybe I should just get a new computer......
    @Xavioria Are you using links to your files or just copying dialog.tlk to the data folder? You may have some wrong link association, causing the Override to be created in the wrong place.
    @mlnevese which is a total possibility. I am, however, a bit dense, as I am not quite sure what you mean by "link" and even more clueless as how to go about changing a link. If perhaps you could explain in more detail? I think I remember a thread here talking about it and making something link to... something, but in all honesty, I didn't understand any of it... unfortunately
    i think you have used the tutorial "Getting Shadowkeeper to work with BGEE" which create only a File link of the dialog.tlk (a link is a kind of sign, which show the way to the real location of the dialog.tlk)

im not sure how to avoid this, but i think it can help if you copy your dialog.tlk ("00766\lang" and then look in the folder of your favorite language) and paste in the directory where the chitin.key and the baldur.exe atre located("00766")
    @Xavioria if you followed the Shadowkeeper or the how to make mods work tutorials, both teach how to create links to your files and folders. If you got any of those steps wrong, you may have a link pointing to the wrong folder.
    edited January 2013
    @tommy I actually did try that, i even tried cutting it from the directory, and just leaving it in with the the chitin.key. It's all good though, because if it really is just because of Shadowkeeper, I have no problem reinstalling the entire game just so that I can get this mod to work!

Thanks guys for explaining what i'm doing wrong, I really think it is the link thingie.

Edit: OKAY so I just tried the mklink command that was explained in the stickie, and it then says "cannot find mklink" I don't know what this means, so I'll go ahead an peruse that particular thread again to see if anyone has had the same issue.
    Post edited by Xavioria on
    Sorry AGAIN for double post, but I figure out the issue with me personally installing this mod.

So I decided so badly that I wanted this mod to work and after perusing the forums, people kept mentioning near inifinity, so I downloaded it and peered inside for the figurative genie.

Here's what I found that I personally did not know: There is apparently more than one .cre file for all the NPCs, I'm guessing just in case if you meet them at different experience levels, but I honestly can't be sure. Turns out that your Mod IS in fact installed, it's just that the .cre files being patched are the ones for NPCs if they are at further Experience levels. The ones at lower levels (like montaron for instance) isn't being patched.

I'm absolutely sure that this is the issue because I've tested it, and I'm so happy I could figure out the issue for myself :) I'm not sure if it's ME causing the problem, or if it's windows XP or what. BUT I believe that this is what is going on.

*sigh* frustration OVER YAY