Skip to content

Archer weapon proficiencies

Is there any point in giving my MC archer profs in both short and longbows (other than RP)? I was thinking of using mainly longbows and composite bows anyway. Isn't APR the same with short and long bows too?

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You're not gonna use both in BG1 , so I would choose either one and later in the game become proficient in another kind of bow.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    DJKajuru said:

You're not gonna use both in BG1 , so I would choose either one and later in the game become proficient in another kind of bow.

Yeah I'm probably better off taking some blunt weapons for melee.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Yep, otherwise skeletons are gonna eat you and your bow.
    DJKajuru said:

They are the racial enemy too so they are gonna get smashed.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    At character creation I took two in longbow and I took one in longsword (elf archer) and one in single weapons style for the ac boost when switching to longsword - using a bow inside melee range takes a pretty big penalty to hit so I do accasionally switch to melee. After that they will all go in longbow for BG1.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i made an archer and had my melees in staffs and two handed weapons, then two handed swords, spears, halberds in SoA
    @Wanderon

My ranger is an elf too and has one pip in longswords also. I think I'll take some one handed blunt profiency next. I'm gonna use dual wielding since archer (being a ranger) is naturally good at that.
    Wilbur said:

@Wanderon

My ranger is an elf too and has one pip in longswords also. I think I'll take some one handed blunt profiency next. I'm gonna use dual wielding since archer (being a ranger) is naturally good at that.

I may not put a third pip in dual weilding but am likely to use it anyway - I was thinking about a blunt proficiency but then I found Longsword of Harrowing +1, +3 vs either skeletons or undead - can't recall which but skelly is my favored enemy too so I'm thinking that will do the trick.

I think one handed weapon + style for AC boost is more useful to the archer than two handed + style myself since they are limited in armor already.

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited January 2013
    Wilbur said:

Is there any point in giving my MC archer profs in both short and longbows (other than RP)? I was thinking of using mainly longbows and composite bows anyway. Isn't APR the same with short and long bows too?

Keep also in mind that in BG2 the shortbows are much better than the longbows.
    Erg said:

Wilbur said:

That may be so but doesn't importing from BG1 to BG2 allow you to rechoose your weapon profs anyway?and if so I wouldn't expect BG:EE to change that.

• Importing from vanilla BG1 to vanilla BG2 lets you change your weapon proficiencies because the two games use different systems and categories. Currently, importing from BGEE to BG2 keeps your weapon proficiencies, because the character files are fundamentally the same. Personally, I expect to see proficiencies remain static when importing to BG2EE, but for all we know they might introduce a new Long Bow or two to BG2EE to make them more competitive. Alternately, they might fix the ammunition stacking on Gesen/Firetooth that makes them so dominant in BG2 vanilla. IMO, Heartseeker is competitive with Gesen, so long as you use the magically created ammo with Gesen instead of stacking it with real arrows.
    I
    Wanderon said:

Erg said:

Wilbur said:

That may be so but doesn't importing from BG1 to BG2 allow you to rechoose your weapon profs anyway?and if so I wouldn't expect BG:EE to change that.

Vanilla BG1 had different proficiencies than BG2, so you had to choose again. But already with BGtutu it was possible to import proficiencies as tutu, like EE, uses the BG2 engine for BG1, so it is very likely that this will be possible in BG2EE too.
    Kaigen said:

Importing from vanilla BG1 to vanilla BG2 lets you change your weapon proficiencies because the two games use different systems and categories. Currently, importing from BGEE to BG2 keeps your weapon proficiencies, because the character files are fundamentally the same. Personally, I expect to see proficiencies remain static when importing to BG2EE, but for all we know they might introduce a new Long Bow or two to BG2EE to make them more competitive. Alternately, they might fix the ammunition stacking on Gesen/Firetooth that makes them so dominant in BG2 vanilla. IMO, Heartseeker is competitive with Gesen, so long as you use the magically created ammo with Gesen instead of stacking it with real arrows.

Yes, of course if the devs add new weapons or tweak old ones things may change.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Wanderon said:

At character creation I took two in longbow and I took one in longsword (elf archer) and one in single weapons style for the ac boost when switching to longsword - using a bow inside melee range takes a pretty big penalty to hit so I do accasionally switch to melee. After that they will all go in longbow for BG1.

Same here.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Wilbur said:

DJKajuru said:

They are the racial enemy too so they are gonna get smashed.
    That's actually really smart ... that +4 damage sure would help ...
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    racial enemies are only +4 to hit, not damage.

Most skeletal enemies have 40% resistance to slashing, 50% resistance to piercing, and 65% resistance to missile damage. Even with a damage bonus vs them, blunt weapons are simply better since they deal full damage per strike...and almost no enemies have resistance or greater AC vs blunt, except those with resistance to all physical damage.

The only sucky part is that there are no ranged weapons or ammo that deal blunt damage (they all deal Missile (piercing) + occasionally an element or poison)...even the dwarven thrower war-hammer deals Missile (piercing), when thrown.
    Erg said:

Wilbur said:

Yes, I'm aware of that and I'm probably going to start putting points to short bows at higher levels. But are they really that much better? I know you can only get +3 to hit with a longbow (ToB +3 arrows) and Gesen bow (if I remember correctly) has unlimited ammo that is treated as +4 to hit. Does that really make that big of a difference in the end?

• moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @Wilbur

The Gesen bow is a short bow though.
  • ToofyToofy Member Posts: 36
    Who's to say BG2EE won't have good longbows added?
    moopy said:

@Wilbur

The Gesen bow is a short bow though.

I know and I meant to compare them i.e. being able to shoot +4 arrows with shortbows and only +3 arrows with longbows.
    Wilbur said:

Erg said:

Wilbur said:

Yes, I'm aware of that and I'm probably going to start putting points to shortbows at higher levels. But are they really that much better? I know you can only get +3 to hit with a longbow (ToB +3 arrows) and Gesen bow (if I remember correctly) has unlimited ammo that is treated as +4 to hit. Does that really make that big of a difference in the end?

In BG2, unless weapons are added and/or modified in the EE version, there is one bow that gives you an extra attack per round and two bows with unlimited magical ammo, and they are all shortbows.

Of course, if you have other party members that can benefit from using shortbows (e.g. Imoen, etc.) you can also stick with longbows for CHARNAME.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I find it enough to have pips only in one type of bows for an archer because you can't use both types simultaneously. And from my experience even an archer has situations where he has to use melee weapons.
    I see scimitars as an ideal choice for him. It could be one of Drizzt's scimitars for an additional AC (in BG1) or (in BG2) Belm for an additional attack. And elven bonus works well with scimitars to compensate only one available pip in this melee weapon for an archer.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited January 2013
    Erg said:

In BG2, unless weapons are added and/or modified in the EE version, there is one bow that gives you an extra attack per round and two bows with unlimited magical ammo, and they are all shortbows.

One of them is rather crap, as all it does is 1d6 damage with no bonus involved (but counts as +3 weapon). You can easily get the Quiver o' plenty right at the beginning, so every bow has unlimited ammo....that makes specially the speedy shortbow quite superior.

You'd also argue that going x-bow is a valid solution (Firetooth), as the missing extra attack is made up by the huge damage bonus and it's counted as a +6 weapon (or +7 upgraded) to determine 'what-it-can-hit'. Only if not used with additional ammunition, but that's fixed in one of the current packs anyway.

Though the to-hit stuff is only more important in ToB (+Watchers Keep), where you'll find more basic +1/+2 immunities. As a lot of player stick only to the SoA campaign Bows + quiver are fine.
    valky said:

One of them is rather crap, as all it does is 1d6 damage with no bonus involved (but counts as +3 weapon).

Considering that there are foes in BG2 that require +3 weapons to hit, I don't think it is so crappy after all, at least not in SoA. But I agree with you that it is not as good as the other two shortbows.
    valky said:

You can easily get the Quiver o' plenty right at the beginning, so every bow has unlimited ammo....that makes specially the speedy shortbow quite superior.

I agree with you that the Quiver of Plenty makes longbows and crossbows more appealing.

However, I personally don't like getting stuff from Watcher's Keep too early, because I believe it unbalances the game making it less challenging, but that's just me.
  • @Erg I agree with you on Watcher's Keep for the most part, but I do like to go to the first floor early to pick up the Quiver/Case of Plenty, the Ammo Belt, and the +3 returning dart if I have a dart user. I consider all of that more convenience than power. Late in SoA it can also be nice to pick up some +3 arrows/bolts/bullets to help with the monster immunity problem you point out.

The speedy shortbow is really good at the very beginning, but assuming they keep the extra attack for Grandmastery in BG2EE, you'll pass the 5 attack per round cap by level 13 and be missing out on your full potential with an Archer (it's great for any thieves or thief/mages in the group though). The 5 attack per round cap is actually what gives crossbows (and slings) an opportunity to close the gap with bow users. 2 APR weapons will get up to 4.5 APR for a level 13+ grandmaster, meaning they only get half the benefit of a haste spell before hitting the cap, whereas 1 APR crossbows get up to 3.5 APR and can then be hasted for 4.5 APR. When the attack gap is that small, the damage bonuses that high end crossbows (such as Giant's Hair or Firetooth) get really start to shine.

I'm just glad they boosted the quiver size in BGEE, as that really helps with ammo management.
    Kaigen said:

The speedy shortbow is really good at the very beginning, but assuming they keep the extra attack for Grandmastery in BG2EE, you'll pass the 5 attack per round cap by level 13 and be missing out on your full potential with an Archer (it's great for any thieves or thief/mages in the group though). The 5 attack per round cap is actually what gives crossbows (and slings) an opportunity to close the gap with bow users. 2 APR weapons will get up to 4.5 APR for a level 13+ grandmaster, meaning they only get half the benefit of a haste spell before hitting the cap, whereas 1 APR crossbows get up to 3.5 APR and can then be hasted for 4.5 APR. When the attack gap is that small, the damage bonuses that high end crossbows (such as Giant's Hair or Firetooth) get really start to shine

I didn't even remember the 5 apr cap. Do you currently get 3/2 extra attacks from grand mastery?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    Wilbur said:

I didn't even remember the 5 apr cap. Do you currently get 3/2 extra attacks from grand mastery?

If I remember correctly from my last Black Pits run, yes.

Edit: Level 9 Fighter with 5 pips in Bastard Swords gets 5/2 attacks. That's 1 + .5 (level 7) + .5 (specialization) = 2, so grand mastery is giving 1, not 1.5. Which means a grand total of +2 attacks for an experienced Fighter/Archer with Grandmastery. So the Tuigan still has to worry about the cap if you haste your archer from time to time, but the normal longbows/shortbows won't be clipping the cap, which changes the equation a bit. At that point, it becomes a comparison of 5 attacks with the bow vs. 4 attacks with the crossbow.

Gesen: 1d8+2+5 = 11.5 average damage per shot
    Heartseeker: 1d6+2+5 = 10.5 average damage per shot (same for light crossbow of speed)
    Giant Hair Crossbow (picked for an easy to get SoA xbow): 1d8+5+5 = 14.5 damage per shot
    Firetooth +5: 1d8+7+5 = 16.5 per shot

Let's assume bonuses for a level 18 Archer (i.e. +6 damage)

Gesen = 87.5 per round
    Heartseeker = 82.5
    Giant Hair = 82
    Firetooth = 90

Archer bonuses cap out at +9 at level 33, which gives:

Gesen = 102.5
    Heartseeker = 97.5
    Giant Hair = 94
    Firetooth = 102

So as your number of attacks increases, crossbows get better and better, but the damage bonus from the Archer kit eventually evens that out in slight favor of Gesen. Note that this is while hasted. At cap without haste, Gesen is avg. 82 damage to Firetooth's 76.5, and Improved Haste keeps Gesen in the lead (though Greater Whirlwind, of course, favors Firetooth). Heartseeker actually keeps up well with Firetooth either unhasted or with Improved Haste, but doesn't have the damage bonus to keep up with Gesen, and unfortunately damage bonuses on longbows all but disappear in ToB.

Magical ammunition's damage bonuses would pitch this further in favor of bows, but then we get into the wonky ammunition stacking of Gesen and Firetooth and there's no point in even comparing to other weapons. The Quiver of Plenty +2 is enough to put Heartseeker ahead of Gesen using its magical ammunition, though, so if you feel that ammunition stacking is cheesy and want the most Archer damage possible, Heartseeker is the way to go.

Edit2: Silly me, I forgot the damage bonus for Grandmastery, numbers and conclusions adjusted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited January 2013
    Kaigen said:

Wilbur said:

If I remember correctly from my last Black Pits run, yes.

Edit: Level 9 Fighter with 5 pips in Bastard Swords gets 5/2 attacks. That's 1 + .5 (level 7) + .5 (specialization) = 2, so grand mastery is giving 1, not 1.5. Which means a grand total of +2 attacks for an experienced Fighter/Archer with Grandmastery. So the Tuigan still has to worry about the cap if you haste your archer from time to time, but the normal longbows/shortbows won't be clipping the cap, which changes the equation a bit. At that point, it becomes a comparison of 5 attacks with the bow vs. 4 attacks with the crossbow.
    That's true for BGEE and even worse in vanilla BG2 (1/2 for even 5 pips). BGEE uses possibly the old manual table, while ingame it was 3/2. Recently made a screenshot from vanilla IWD1, where the same old table is used.
    (http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/valky667/apr_zpse302f30c.jpg - oh and add 1 ApR, cause it was from another discussion involving melee weapons, so she is wielding a Longsword)

Further crossbows base ApR is set to 1, so the user should get 3 (using BGEE rules) or 7/2 (using the old GM rules) - that's the same as wielding a 1/2-handed weapon at lvl 13 with 5 pips, see pic ^^

Dunno, where you get your 4 ApR with an x-bow from?!
  • @Valky As noted in the paragraph after the numbers, I'm comparing the weapons while hasted (you'll notice I give bows 5 APR), since I assume that by mid-to-late SoA you can have haste going for any significant battle and because haste proportionally reduces the starting APR advantage that bows have over crossbows.

That said, I just went in and adjusted the numbers, because I failed my INT roll and didn't include the damage bonuses for grandmastery.

If you elect to put the gauntlets of extraordinary specialization (and/or you use the old GM rules) on your Archer, then things skew slightly in favor of crossbows, both due to the APR cap and due to the fact that additive APR bonuses reduce the proportional advantage of bows (as opposed to Improved Haste, which preserves the proportion of attacks). If you use the gauntlets of weapon expertise, the damage bonus favors bows. Are there any other applicable damage or APR bonuses usable by bows/crossbows that I'm forgetting?
    ack, I c...I use haste primarily to speed up things in minor battles and don't really bother with the additional ApR. In major/harder fights Imp. Haste kicks in for me, that usually lasts long enough by the time you can cast it on everyone and still have spell-slots left or have items, that can do so as well.

Imp. haste doubles all attacks and ignores the 5ApR hardcoded limit, so in late SoA it's arguable preferable over haste ^^
    My current haste also only rounds up if I have 3/2..5/2 and so on, might be from a mod or I never really paid attention to that spell.

[Or you are referring to the buggy boots of speed ^^ then it would make sense, cause the haste effect was not intended that way and they should only provide 2x movement rate. Else I'd love to see the PnP boots instead..but some of my mods changed them anyway, so am fine with]