Skip to content

****** SPOILERS ********* "The Stuff"

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

Thanks!!

Did this guy just make Edwin redundant?

What can I say...? "Edwin...! I never loved you."

Baeloth has 19 INT and a good spell selection. Not exactly what I would have wanted, but most of the important stuff is there. Important, in my case, means - he can cast way more Invisibility for my jester than Edwin and it doesn't cost him any other spells. (Also Fireball, Chromatic Orb, ugh, I didn't make a list and only played an hour with him in the party, but it's a decent selection). Plus, of course, his natural magic resistance AND he comes with a robe of evil arch magus. For me, that's almost 1.5 chapters before I can get the one for Edwin (or Xzar).

Also a big plus: His soundset is nice and not annoying. He doesn't talk like Viconia Weeaboo and every giving-orders-round turns into a snarking duel between the mages now. I like it. And yeah, naturally, I kept Edwin, too.

The downside... He's a lowly Drow male with a big ego. Went to get Shar-Teel to make sure he remembers his place. He may be Baeloth The ENTERTAINER... but I'm still the jester of the group, so he better not turns out to be TOO entertaining. :)

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Thanks!!

Not necessarily - Edwin has more versatility in that he can reconfigure his spellbook, whereas picking up Baeloth at level 5 means he'll already have most of his spells chosen for you...
  • tobajastobajas Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2013
    whaaat?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    shawne said:

Thanks!!

Not necessarily - Edwin has more versatility in that he can reconfigure his spellbook, whereas picking up Baeloth at level 5 means he'll already have most of his spells chosen for you...
    I suspected that might be the case. That's good. I also glad that they seem to compliment each other well. Also it's nice have another evil Mage option, regardless.

This was a most unexpected and welcome surprise. Certainly not one I would have foreseen.
    I have always wished for a banter mod with an evil mage rivalry between Xzar and Edwin. Stuff like whose school is better/more useful and such; or simply (percieved) intellectual superiority vs. batshit insanity. The first encounter of Baeloth and Edwin sounds extremly promising for a mage rivalry, and it is very much in character that Edwin feels threatened by a guy with 19 INT and instantly sees him as an enemy.

I got Baeloth in a run that I started with the intent to do not the usual (besides sticking to a neutral-evil party) - getting NPCs I usually dismiss in favor of more obvious choices (the late game folks; not dualing Shar-Teel and use her as a fighter/front liner instead...), play a class I'm usually not comfortable with (and turned out to be my fave so far), come up with new strategies. Getting a new NPC for that experiment was the best thing that could happen, and him being another evil caster gave my somewhat disorganized party a clear direction. Now, if Baeloth and Edwin follow through with the rivalry, I'm a happy jester.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    I know this patch only came out yesterday but does anyone know if this guy a personal quest like the other new NPCs?
    I sure hope so. Will find out in the next hours. :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Hell nah. You don't run around with only a Sorceror. A Sorceror and another Mage, though, that works wonders.
  • ToofyToofy Member Posts: 36
    I'm glad I didn't get enough sleep for work and decided to keep playing, he was worth the rough morning at work today
  • ToofyToofy Member Posts: 36
    Aosaw said:

Messi said:

I know this patch only came out yesterday but does anyone know if this guy a personal quest like the other new NPCs?

Well, there's a whole story where he captures this group of six unsuspecting adventurers and tries to murder them under the guise of an entertainment arena... ;)
    Seems like a stand up guy to me
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    I want my adventure YYYYYY! WHY!?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Now I really wish the Black Pits could somehow be integrated into the main campaign - it would be so interesting to play through the Pits with my PC and his party, and then go back up to the surface and bump into Baeloth again... :)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Maybe the plan is to segue from Bg1 end to Baeloth taking you in the black pits as the interlude between Bg1 and Bg2.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    Definitely unexpected ...xD
    I really appreciated!!!
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

Thanks!!

No, considering that sorcerers can only cast level 5 spells from scrolls given the XP cap in BGEE.

Cloudkill, ftw!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Thanks!!

What can I say...? "Edwin...! I never loved you."

Baeloth has 19 INT and a good spell selection. Not exactly what I would have wanted, but most of the important stuff is there. Important, in my case, means - he can cast way more Invisibility for my jester than Edwin and it doesn't cost him any other spells. (Also Fireball, Chromatic Orb, ugh, I didn't make a list and only played an hour with him in the party, but it's a decent selection). Plus, of course, his natural magic resistance AND he comes with a robe of evil arch magus. For me, that's almost 1.5 chapters before I can get the one for Edwin (or Xzar).

Also a big plus: His soundset is nice and not annoying. He doesn't talk like Viconia Weeaboo and every giving-orders-round turns into a snarking duel between the mages now. I like it. And yeah, naturally, I kept Edwin, too.

The downside... He's a lowly Drow male with a big ego. Went to get Shar-Teel to make sure he remembers his place. He may be Baeloth The ENTERTAINER... but I'm still the jester of the group, so he better not turns out to be TOO entertaining. :)

I think I've found my replacement in my NE Jester party after I've done Neera's quest :-)
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Here I thought, Rasaad was my favourite new joinable NPC. But now Baeloth took his place, and his alliterations are hillarious. Only downside he is drow, but who cares his personality wins on all accounts.
    Well I found another downside: He should shout "Get out of my sight before I burn your eyes from their socket" when charging for an attack. Other than that:

Well played Beamdog, well played.
  • wildwild Member Posts: 43
    My pc is level 5 and had never been to larswood before all i can find is 100s of gibberlings any specific way i have to go to trigger it or is it new games only?
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    @ajwz

Janus > Baeloth

Yes I R Fanboy

Edit:
    Ok I just saw his in game portrait. That did remind me of Magus. Nice.
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    edited January 2013
    wild said:

My pc is level 5 and had never been to larswood before all i can find is 100s of gibberlings any specific way i have to go to trigger it or is it new games only?

Same here. Level 5th, ive never been in larswood, chapter 4th...

I'm going off topic here sorry.

What is an "Adventure Y" suppose to be.
    I was in an old game and hadn't been to Larswood by chance. It's not only new games. Kill all the gibberlings and walk around the tower, then a lightning should hit the ground and drop Baeloth. It took a bit until he appeared; he's not just standing around like other NPCs. He appeared in my game when I was almost done picking the gold from the second gibberling batch.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    Aramintai said:

Can anyone post a screenshot of his in-game portrait?

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/548/85329505.jpg
    That reminds me of a Brom painting I saw before. I can't remember who it was of - Gromph Baenre? - but (other than not having that same Brom-ish style) it looks incredibly similar.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    <.< I just have one question...

Does int do anything for sorcerers now, or is that 19 like a total waste? >.>
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252

<.< I just have one question...

Does int do anything for sorcerers now, or is that 19 like a total waste? >.>

Wish spells, Mind Flayer padding, and... that's about it.

And yet I keep putting an 18 in it.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    The only thing that disappoints me is that there is no alliteration in his base soundset (Selection/command/attack/etc.). Especially since Neera was commenting on it in the background of his introduction.

Otherwise: "Hahaahahhahaha this is awesome!"
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    From his portrait it looks as if his attack sound would be "Heeeere's Johnny!!!" (thinking Nicholson, not McMahon).
    swnmcmlxi said:

From his portrait it looks as if his attack sound would be "Heeeere's Johnny!!!" (thinking Nicholson, not McMahon).

And I'm now thinking Homer Simpson.