Skip to content

BGEE was just released on Steam

Comments

• CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2013
    Thank you Trent! For keeping us informed :) And I'm glad it is now on steam, though i bought a copy for my friend 2 days ago, if only i had known, i would have bought it on steam, since this is only what my friend uses..

edit: you say they make more than YOU do with those sales?? screw that, im glad i bought it from you
    Oxford_GuymlneveseTJ_Hookerdeltago
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722

This is through Atari, and I'm saddened to say we have not been able to reach an agreement around Steam keys yet. We're trying. Royalty-wise, Steam is making way more than we are per copy, so it is a bit bittersweet.

-Trent

Woah. That sucks :(
    Wish you can reach an agreement, I'd also love to only have to use one client rather than both steam and beamdog.
    TJ_Hooker
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2013
    You actually often get "free" Steam key when you buy an "indie" game from some other store such as the developers own. It costs very little for Valve to hand them out like this and ensures there will be more users on Steam.

That said, given that we've already bought the game, I'd say its highly unlikely they'll retroactively donate Steam keys.

EDIT: Trent just posted this on twitter:"We have not been able to reach an agreement with Atari regarding Steam keys for existing users. We are still trying." - Trent Oster
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    I wonder, if somebody from US or Europe asks me to buy the game for 11.99$ for him...
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234

This is through Atari, and I'm saddened to say we have not been able to reach an agreement around Steam keys yet. We're trying. Royalty-wise, Steam is making way more than we are per copy, so it is a bit bittersweet.

-Trent

That's unfortunate. I would love it if there was a way to buy it directly from you, but still receive a steam key without screwing you guys out of profits. :\
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Just in case I misunderstood, "This is through Atari," did that mean Overhaul didn't want it on Steam and Atari was able to force them to put it on Steam? Or that Atari would have to approve the keys.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @moopy
    I think it means that Atari made the decision without talking to Overhaul about it.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Is the Mac version going to be released via Steam as well as the Apple App Store, and if so will it be a "SteamPlay" release, offering both Mac and Windows licences for one purchase?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Oh crap. Is Overhaul getting any money from this Steam release then? I hope so because I really want BG2EE to happen...
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    @Aosaw

They have the ability to release the game that Overhaul modified heavily, with characters Overhaul created and added, and that Overhaul supports without Overhaul's permission?

Wow. That seems unfair.
    mlneveseDavide
    Well, I don't know. This thread was the first I'd heard about it. But it does sound a little skewed.
  • HardtargetHardtarget Member Posts: 5
    ugh, just brutal that we're not getting steam keys. I bought this through beamdog a year ago right when they were first taking pre-orders because they said 'beamdog exclusive, maybe one day somewhere else but certainly not anytime soon!'
    PeteAtoms
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

ugh, just brutal that we're not getting steam keys. I bought this through beamdog a year ago right when they were first taking pre-orders because they said 'beamdog exclusive, maybe one day somewhere else but certainly not anytime soon!'

Same for me though it wasn't a year ago. Even saw Trent himself harping on his twitter account about how Steam release was extremely unlikely anytime soon at least.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Flashburn said:

Oh crap. Is Overhaul getting any money from this Steam release then? I hope so because I really want BG2EE to happen...

I'd be surpised if the amount of money it is getting is negligable, but obviously if a bunch of people buy it on steam who would otherwise not have noticed or bought it then its a good thing, but if people were waiting to buy the game anywy, and now buy it on steam then you can kind of see why overhaul might feel a little sad about it.

It's probably a good thing that the game has already been out for 2 months already before releasing on steam, but if there is a simultaneous steam release for bg2, for example, then it could be a problem
  • HardtargetHardtarget Member Posts: 5
    Messi said:

Same for me though it wasn't a year ago. Even saw Trent himself harping on his twitter account about how Steam release was extremely unlikely anytime soon at least.
    it probably was more like 6 months ago now that I think about, whenever they first started selling it heh
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    How soon Steam updates its sales statistics? Its interesting how successful this will be, especially considering Euro Truck Simulator is at the top one day after its release.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited January 2013
    BTW its £14.99 on Steam in the UK, that's more than the $20 I paid for the Windows version of the game converted back to £s.

When the Mac version of BGEE is released, if it's available through both the Apple App Store *and* Steam, will Overhaul get more royalties through the Apple App Store? If so, I will definitely buy through that, even if the prices are comparable, or even slightly more on the Apple App Store, as want to support future development.
    ajwz
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    This sounds like a great problem to me! Who is patching the game for example? Steam version will get the same patches as the Beamdog one? :O

Atari can do such thing? I'm really lost at this point!
    TJ_Hooker
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I would have brought it for steam if I knew if was going to be released there. It wasn't a big deal buying it from beamdog none the less.
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    I dont really care if we dont get any steam keys before i get paid im buying it again on steam...i like there features(Steam offline mode).
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    USD$19.99 from China, snap :P
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Wow, people are whining about Steam keys while ignoring the fact that Overhaul just basically got bought out. Capitalism, ho!
    Avenger_teambgswnmcmlxiDavide[Deleted User]
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @Oxford_Guy Steam and Apple both take a 30% cut. But the business terms might be different...

@Zeratul I would imagine Overhaul will be able to dictate when patches are released, otherwise it would completely undermine their efforts to sync multiplayer.
    Quartz said:

Wow. You guys are whiners. Always expecting free things. Ridiculous.

So true.
    Quartzetotheo
    Steam keys would encourage more people to buy direct from Overhaul, which would be good for the developer.

At the same time, people may decide to ask for refunds so they can purchase on Steam. This, rather than being good for the developer, is bad for the developer.
    Cleaveetotheo
    I think that if people got Steam keys, they'd just forget about Overhaul's own client, thus rendering the point of staying away from monolith Steam, well, pointless.

I have been so afraid for this to happen. I hope it won't affect the community as well.

Also, loyalty is a hard good to find nowadays, it seems.
    Quartz
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    Does overhaul make enough money with Steam selling it? It sounds like they have less profit, but still make some money. Perhaps it's a good thing if overhaul already got most of the people who knew about it and wanted to buy it. Now that it's no steam more people who wouldn't have thought about buying it may buy it.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    @TrentOster

For the non steam version of the game, are you guys getting the majority of the cost from a game purchase, bearing in mind all the licensing agreement?