Skip to content

Game Update 1.0.2012

Comments

• beobeo Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2013
    i have to agree with gunman, old gui/art simply looks nicer and friendlier to me.

other improvements hopefully outweights it.

looking forward for next update.
    AlexM
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    TJ_Hooker said:

RE: the double-click bug: based on my experience using right-click to move eliminates this problem. It can be a little annoying because right-click doesn't work for anything else, so you have to get used to alternating between right-click and left-click for issuing orders, but it's a pretty effective work-around for now.

This is interesting, thanks for the tip, but it shouldn't be considered as a solution to the problem.
    TJ_Hooker
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    So, after looking at those pictures.

I stand firmly on the fact that if you prefer the BG1 UI you have a nostalgia issue.

Case and point: New inventory screen has more information on thac0 and damage range with detailed information on where the bonuses are coming from. More information in the UI is a good thing.

When you say the UI isn't nice do you mean the blue marble color isn't pretty? Because color is one of the last things I care about in a good UI.
    James
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    Vortaka said:

Hum... Well, I'll keep that in mind (and report it) but I don't think it ever happened to me...

This bug is very annoying

• PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46

Features:
    * Added roll total to ability screen when creating a new character

Thank you for this! I always spend a lot of time rolling and rerolling until I have decent numbers to start my character(s) with. Most of that time is spent adding up the numbers in an effort to keep from throwing away an "89" for an "86". This new feature will be very helpful. :D
    clalima
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    moopy said:

Case and point: New inventory screen has more information on thac0 and damage range with detailed information on where the bonuses are coming from. More information in the UI is a good thing.

Leaving aside the graphic aspect which is useless to argue over with people who can swallow whatever they are served and ask for second...

The only information in inventory screen that it's not in the original is THAC0, which after four patches it's still bugged and not displaying the correct value, and the damage, which again has dubious information (can someone explain how is it calculated for magical arrows?). To be sure about THAC0 you have to look in the character sheet screen, the same as in the original.

Enhanced !
    mtyler11
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    "An update to the Windows version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is now available." :D
    Thanks guys
  • BlueSorceressBlueSorceress Member Posts: 84
    gunman said:

moopy said:

Leaving aside the graphic aspect which is useless to argue over with people who can swallow whatever they are served and ask for second...

You could just as easily say it's useless to argue with people who will complain about whatever they're given regardless of actual quality. Both statements are equally presumptive - and equally unhelpful.

The only thing that I really like about the BG1 interface is the background image behind the priest/mage spell lists, but when I'm on those screens all of my attention was always on selecting the proper spells anyway so it just doesn't make a difference to me.

I can almost see my way to how people can get so bent about the size of the numbers, but I'm sure tha there are just as many people who like them bigger as preferred them smaller. Everything else is purely a matter of taste and entirely subjective.

The matter of THAC0 not registering properly in the inventory screen is a game-play issue and another thing entirely. Even if, like me, most people didn't notice it until it was brought to their attention by the forums, inaccuracies should be corrected. I would much rather the devs spend their time fixing real bugs like this and the movement bug mentioned above than trying to appeal to a every point on a varied spectrum of aesthetic tastes.

All that said, even with the problems I've run into I'm still having an absolute blast with BG:EE. Maybe I do take whatever I'm served and ask for seconds, but does that mean I'm enjoying myself any less that you would if you had a perfect game? If every bug was fixed and every menu, screen and animation, every dialogue tree, voice set, fit my exact idea of how the game should look, feel and sound would I enjoy the game anymore? Maybe, but I'm not going to get so torqued over the things that aren't just right that I can't enjoy the things that are.

-Blue
    Zanian
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I try to see all sides, but how can anyone like that unreadable font in BG1?
    Aristillius
    @Cerevant

By wearing nostalgia glasses and then crying when someone points that out, all the back handed insults gunman insists on throwing out only further prove that he has no basis other than nostalgia.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Cerevant said:

@Cerevant

As pointed out several time in this and other threads, it is not just a matter of font dimension.

The font in 1.0.2012 looks like a low quality one because it has been clearly scaled at a dimension for which it wasn't originally intended. Besides, if this has been done out of concern about readability "170lbs" should be replaced with "170 lbs" as it was before.

You could just as easily say it's useless to argue with people who will complain about whatever they're given regardless of actual quality. Both statements are equally presumptive - and equally unhelpful.

Agreed, but the thing is, I was enthusiastic when BG:EE was announced and I preordered early. I have long time played BG1, BG2, BG1 with Tutu and BGT, IWD1, IWD2, PS:T and consider the series one of the best in computer game history.

But when BG:EE was launched, boy, what a disappointment! 400 fixes over original? Can someone point to a complete list or is this a marketing bait? The first thing I have noticed were new bugs, not fixes. I was fortunate enough to not have the graphic card problems like those with Intel, but I couldn't believe what I was reading on the forums, a huge bug list that was growing by the hour immediately after the launch. And please don't say BG1 was as buggy when released, that's simply not true.

So it's my opinion that this franchise deserves better. I love Baldur's Gate, but Beamdog did a sloppy job with this one and they have lost me as a customer for their further products. Of course, this is just my opinion and everyone has its own standards.

@moopy
    You keep insisting on nostalgia, that's ok. If by this you mean as opposed to "everything new is cool", "old games are ugly and boring" etc then you are right, I feel the tendency is a decrease in quality enough to satisfy the masses and to fulfill financial gains. And this does not apply to games only, but in other cultural and social aspects as well.
    mtyler11
    edited January 2013
    gunman said:

the tendency is a decrease in quality enough to satisfy the masses and to fulfill financial gains. And this does not apply to games only, but in other cultural and social aspects as well.

That's true, let's compare, for example, music of the '70 with modern music. This is not nostalgia or an old man saying "when I was young everything was better". There is even a scientific paper on a peer reviewed journal that shows how modern music has, on average, a much lower level of complexity.
    mtyler11
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Emmm....tastes differ so let us not start talking which *item* is better!

You have no right to say the quality of products decreases.

For example, Radiohead have a level of musical complexity that is unmatched by any band before (including The Beatles). Musically speaking they are the best band ever, without a doubt.

bengoshi said:

You have no right to say the quality of products decreases.

The researchers that wrote the paper beg to differ.
    bengoshi said:

For example, Radiohead have a level of musical complexity that is unmatched by any band before (including The Beatles). Musically speaking they are the best band ever, without a doubt.

This is debatable, besides
    Erg said:

on average

edited January 2013
    bengoshi said:

Emmm....tastes differ so let us not start talking which *item* is better!

Tastes differ, inherent complexity don't. If someone likes simple things, that's doesn't make them complex.
    @gunman

I was playing text only and then parser interface games before you had turned a computer on. Please cry some more. Also try to make your straw men arguments less stupid in the future. My favorite game series is Quest for Glory, and no I didn't cry when they remade QFG1 in VGA with a point and click interface over EGA with a parser interface.

Your over reaction to Beamdog's performance on this job only proves my point. Waaahhh they destroyed my childhood waaaahhhhh. Please, while it has flaws, they opened the game up to a new player base that was never going to play the older interfaces that aren't compatible with current resolutions without mods.
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    gunman said:

But when BG:EE was launched, boy, what a disappointment! 400 fixes over original? Can someone point to a complete list or is this a marketing bait?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/5239/fixed-forum-compiled-list-pt-1/p1

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3625/fixed-forum-compiled-list-pt-2
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I do not understand the negativity: the Beamdog has tried to make new additions to the already good game. This will can only be interpreted as a positive one.

And there's nothing sudden in that the new additions cause some problems. It's VERY hard to put something new into an already functioning system.

But they've tried and they are doing so right now. And I like what they've brought: new NPCs, items, a new interface.

The bugs, especially those that are being fixed permanently, will all be patched with time. Just have patience and give credit where it's due!
    @moopy
    Wow, who was talking about insults earlier. Very clever and mature of you to make assumptions of someone you don't know. Just FYI, I started on ZX Spectrum, now carry on.
    @GodKaiserHell
    I have counted 333 fixes in those topics, the overwhelming majority coming from already existing fixpacks.
    But how many fixes are Beamdog's own?
    mtyler11
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Erg said:

Cerevant said:

The font in 1.0.2012 looks like a low quality one because it has been clearly scaled at a dimension for which it wasn't originally intended.
    I agree on this point, and I'd like to see them use a high res font for the stack numbers. Ugly? Yes. Readable? Yes.

Now take a look at the font used for Hit points in the BG1 UI. Not a teeny tiny number there, but WTF is that ... oh, those are supposed to be 8's! And that chunky grey background just ruins the readability of the whole UI. I'm so used to playing Tutu, I completely forgot how bad BG1 was.
    Cerevant said:

Erg said:

Cerevant said:

The font in 1.0.2012 looks like a low quality one because it has been clearly scaled at a dimension for which it wasn't originally intended.
    I agree on this point, and I'd like to see them use a high res font for the stack numbers. Ugly? Yes. Readable? Yes.

Now take a look at the font used for Hit points in the BG1 UI. Not a teeny tiny number there, but WTF is that ... oh, those are supposed to be 8's! And that chunky grey background just ruins the readability of the whole UI. I'm so used to playing Tutu, I completely forgot how bad BG1 was.
    I also prefer the BG2 or BGtutu UI to the original vanilla BG1, even if the original UI wasn't so bad on a 800x600 monitor.

I fully understand the need to change the UI so that it can be properly displayed on screen with modern resolutions, but it could have been done better.
    Cerevant said:

I'd like to see them use a high res font for the stack numbers. Ugly? Yes. Readable? Yes.

Also I must insist that "170lbs" is not more readable than "170 lbs" no matter what font is used.
  • mtyler11mtyler11 Member Posts: 20
    MrGoodkat said:

Does this include a fix for Kagain's journal entry? Does his quest actually finish now when he decides to abandon it?

sorry, no dice. kaigan still broke.
    Oxford_Guy
    gunman said:

moopy said:

Or the majority might not be wearing nostalgia glasses.

Because I just loaded up BG1 the other day to test some things and Lol.

Parcer interface games had the best UI of all you are totally right.

Yes, this is the "enhanced" edition. Enhanced to the bone. The new art direction is amazing, how can I be so blinded by nostalgia?

I wonder what comedy they will make out of BG 2.

For now I return to playing the original, and I hope that in several months and after couple dozens other patches, this version will be worth playing. For the moment it isn't.

I'm with you gun, I prefer the old interface. If I wanted BGT then I would have just installed my copies of BG-BG2 with BGT and the rest of the fixpacks.
    TJ_Hooker said:

RE: the double-click bug: based on my experience using right-click to move eliminates this problem. It can be a little annoying because right-click doesn't work for anything else, so you have to get used to alternating between right-click and left-click for issuing orders, but it's a pretty effective work-around for now.

R-click also allows you to orient the direction of the party when they line up if you click and hold and then move your mouse. Helps when you are navigating tight passageways.
    Oxford_GuyTJ_Hooker
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2013
    /deleted
    Post edited by DarkDogg on
  • JamvenJamven Member Posts: 2
    I seem to have ran into a problem with playing the game with a friend of mine (we have different versions of the game, he has 1.0.2010 and I have the latest 1.0.2012 patch). The solution seems simple just start up the launcher and download the latest patch. The problem however is that my friend purchased his copy of the game from Steam and it has not updated since it's purchase and he cannot find a way to update to the latest patch himself since there seems to be no launcher included with the Steam version of the game he could use to patch his game to the latest version. Could you maybe post a link to the latest patch?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Jamven Steam release is Atari´s responsibility. There's no download link for the patches as they are automatic.

Current Steam release is 2011 not 2010 and Overhaul is already in contact with Atari so that they can update the Steam version.
This discussion has been closed.