Skip to content

The fantasy author/story teller you currenly like the most?

DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
edited January 2013 in Off-Topic
And the winner is...

Edit: Changed topic title from "The best fantasy author/story teller?" to
"The fantasy author/story teller you currenly like the most?".

Reason: The old title was potentially offensive. Sorry for that.
  1. The best fantasy author/story teller?59 votes
    1. J. R. R. Tolkien
      22.03%
    2. H. P. Lovecraft
        5.08%
    3. R. A. Salvatore
        8.47%
    4. J. K. Rowling
        0.00%
    5. G. R. R. Martin
      10.17%
    6. Terry Pratchett
        8.47%
    7. Tracy Raye Hickman
        0.00%
    8. Michael John Moorcock
        0.00%
    9. C. S. Lewis
        3.39%
    10. Other(specify in comments)
      42.37%
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62
    Andrzej Sapkowski
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Robert Jordan
    how can he not be in that list!
    mjs
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Neil Gaiman
    FuzzyPuffin
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    While I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett, I think his books/stories are more comic-fantasy, and they tend to be less about the fantasy and more about an idea or concept which is explored in a fantasy setting.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Andrzej Sapkowski

He's not amused of not being on this list... Your punishmed will be most severe...
    Talarasha
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Phillip Pullman.
    TJ_Hooker
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Robin Hobb
    mjsEudaemonium
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Fritz Leiber
    rexreg
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    J. R. R. Tolkien - absolutely!

Without him we couldn't now have all the fantasy books, films, computer-games.

Even... even BG wouldn't be the same if it would be at all.

I sincerely think The Lord of the Rings is the best fiction book ever written.

And in the BBC think the same: http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml
    LindeblomSirK8lolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Whilst being a Brummie and growing up next to Tolkiens house... I have put down Terry Prattchet as he just makes you laugh out loud. Tolkien was too serious... morose even... Living through two world wars and wanting to live forever would do that too you.

Terry Pratchett has a form of Alzheimers so is going mad... This in an author helps... Bless him. Love his work AND his charity work.
    Edwinlolien
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited January 2013
    I honestly find Tolkien a bit overrated. I mean, yes, he founds modern fantasy in the way that Lovecraft founds much of modern horror, but original doesn't necessarily mean best.

@decado: I have to admit, I preferred Hobb before she made everything about dragons. All the non-dragon parts of her books are great, but I kinda gave up after Fool's Fate (which is amazing in spite of the dragons). The Fool will always be one of my favourite fictional characters ever.
    mjsTalarasha
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    There are more missing:
    Brandon Sanderson
    Jim Butcher
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i have to go with @freche he might not be the technically best writer, but the wheel of time series blows everything else out of the water in terms of scope, story and epicness

robin hobb on the other hand is a technically better writer, with better character development. moorcock is great too.

in short there is no "best"

and if there was salvatore and hickman would not be anywhere near it.

actually i have my best/favourite...gene wolfe
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    Tolkien.
    He was the person who got me into this world of makebelief ;P
    Back in my days this was pretty much the only fantasy you could find in Swedish, and I still read LOTR again every second year or so.

Go JRR
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Patrick Rothfuss - http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/

I also have alot of time for Joe Abercrombie: http://www.joeabercrombie.com/

Katherine Kerr is also very good: http://www.deverry.com/

Also Robin Hobb: http://robinhobb.com/
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Toss up between Robert Jordan (RIP) and Andrzej Sapkowski.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    How does this poll not have Robert Jordan.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2013
    Wendi and Richard Pini-
    Not my favorite of all time, but I was moving some boxes today and came across an old Elfquest book. Man I loved those as a kid! I hadn't thought about them in years, I spent most my night after work researching what had happened since I last read an elfquest comic. They had such beautiful and colorful art and emotionally engaging story lines.

i loved so many of the characters and built quite an emotional attachment to the stories. I've literally teared up reading them. Kahvi burying Vaya, Venka and Winnowil showdown, Leetah and Cutter reuniting, awesome stuff. Quite the coincedence u started a topic like this :)

Edit: if u haven't read the stories, all the comics and books are now posted online for free at their website. Highly recommend reading them, very unique elven culture, very Native American inspired
    rexreg
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    My all time favourite is Steven Erikson (Malazan Tale of the Fallen), Terry Pratchett and Tolkien are constantly reread though - of course.

Gah, not wanting to spoil you fun here, but Ive always felt that Robin Hobb's heroes are tragical unto a point where it just isnt believable anymore? I have only read two books, so I may be wrong?

• HugoRuneHugoRune Member Posts: 47
    Currently? Joe Abercrombie.
    Oxford_Guyajwz

My all time favourite is Steven Erikson (Malazan Tale of the Fallen), Terry Pratchett and Tolkien are constantly reread though - of course.

Gah, not wanting to spoil you fun here, but Ive always felt that Robin Hobb's heroes are tragical unto a point where it just isnt believable anymore? I have only read two books, so I may be wrong?

I didn't like her "Soldier Son Trilogy" series *at all*, partly for this reason, but the The Farseer Trilogy is great, and the Liveship Traders Trilogy too (and has less of the "tragic" quality about it), and is very inventive.
    Aristillius
    HugoRune said:

Currently? Joe Abercrombie.

His writing style is great (and with dark humour), more "low fantasy" then "high fantasy", though
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    J.R.R. Tolkien has always been and probably always will be my favorite.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I love these discussions. :)

It does belong in Off Topic, though, so I'll move it there now. Carry on!
    Aristillius
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2013
    I am not much for fiction books, but I often pic up Shakespeare. I love A Midsummer Night's Dream the most by far, but no matter what I choose to read among his works I always find spine tingling beauty. Frank Herbert
    Post edited by Chaotic_Good on
    rexreg
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Really not getting the robert jordan love. Read the first 2 and 1/2 books of the wheel of time series and thought it was pretty awful
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013
    Branislav Notaros, the author of my electromagnetics textbook. Because that guy is clearly making it all up.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    edited January 2013
    Wow really ... no Robert Jordan? Tolkien would get my best overall vote, but right now Robert Jordan, cause I've just finished the 2nd to last book :) Now I just need to get a copy of his latest here in the PI.

Edit: Yeah, I'll agree on Brandon Sanderson, since of course he continued on the series after Jordan's death based on Jordan's outline and notes
    Darkersun said:

There are more missing:
    Brandon Sanderson
    Jim Butcher

@ajwz - that's cool if you didn't like the books, personally I really loved the story and how it progressed, it really evolves as the books go on, and these last few with Brandon Sanderson are really amazing IMO. But everyone has their own preferences. I'm still surprised Jordan didn't make the list though even if not everyone likes his books :)
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I would vote for either of the authors with R.R. in their names... but that wasnt an option :P
    Aristillius
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I really liked the Wheel of Time books back when I read them (I think I started when I was 13 or so), but man do they drag on after a while. I haven't read any of the ones published after Jordan died, but I remember that by the time I got to reading the 9th or so book I was reading them more out of habit/a desire to finish the series than anything, and almost it felt like a chore at some points.