Skip to content

Non-Combat use of Charm Person

So, this is always something that I have wondered about but never gotten the hang of doing. Has anyone out there used Charm Person to any effect other than to turn an enemy combatant into a temporary ally?

For me, I just think that this spell could be useful in loads of ways. I would "Think" that it could be used to get a more favorable rate in stores. I think it should be useful in disarming situations where a thief got caught pick-pocketing. I would imagine it would be useful in dealing with potentially aggressive (but not hostile) NPCs?

I suppose that it could be used to turn a Combat monster green SO that you could pick his/her pocket, but that seems so very situational.

Also, if used on an NPC that for some reason turns hostile, if you charm them and then leave, do they remain hostile when you come back? I would imagine so, but should it really be that way?

Anyone else have ideas? Or done any of the above?

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I charmed the stargazer person on the lighthouse map, but that was combat because it was to have a sirine decoy... Charm-before-pickpocket on several occassions, sure, but sleep or command is more effective. And turning hostile creature green to use them in combat, did that too, but that is also a combat use.
  • NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    Classical uses include charming people before robbing their houses and charming the hostile guards in chapter 7.

Charming Centeol ("spider fatty" in Cloakwoods) gives extra "secret" dialog.

Jared (polar bear dude) holds the Boots of the North but he would only give them to me when I charmed him.

That's all I can remember but I'm sure there is more.
  • Neonfisk said:

Jared (polar bear dude) holds the Boots of the North but he would only give them to me when I charmed him.

Oooh, that's an interesting one. That implies that you can use Charm to get rewards that you would normally need a high CHA for. Maybe that was what the bug fix referencing Charmed people giving gifts in the latest patch notes was about.

• NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    edited January 2013
    @Kaigen that's how I remembered to do it.
    I think I read in a guide/FAQ somewhere that "charm person" is the new "hello" in BG1
    [Deleted User]
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Polar Bear Dude seems to calculate reputation, not charisma. He didn't give the boots to my evil jester and only 50 gold, and as a bard, I have good charisma. My reputation was 8 or 9, so I killed him and got 200 gold and the boots from the corpse. As cleric, I have way lower charisma, but had 13 reputation and he gave me the full reward.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @ZanathKariashi Resting does work there if you use a very special charm. The nymph cloak is the only thing in the game that has a non agro charm effect. IIRC using that thing to charm him and resting works.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Also... apparently... charm person on Dynaheir before you rescue her will also give a secret dialog. I've only heard this though, never actually tried it...
    Neonfisk
    @Xavioria I just tried it. She does say something interesting...
    XavioriaNeonfiskReadingRamboPandaPounce
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Sometimes I like to charm house-owners or servants and sent them somewhere else so I can plunder their homes undisturbed without them calling the guards.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Charmed people often give you unique dialogs.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Thanks for all of the ideas guys. Much appreciated. I might just try loading up a few charms and try these myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I might have to do a "Charmer" playthrough just to see what all I can dig up. Maybe on the Cleric/Illusionist I've been meaning to play. Charm + Dire Charm + Mental Domination (from the cleric list) gives me the option of preparing lots and lots of charm spells.

Edit: Question, do NPCs always turn hostile after being Charmed?
    Kaigen said:

@Kaigen In BG2 charm spells make characters hostile once the charm wears off. In BG1 however the charm spells do not cause agro so charm things as much as you want.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    [Deleted User]
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Bhaaldog said:

Tresset said:

Kaigen said:

@Kaigen In BG2 charm spells make characters hostile once the charm wears off. In BG1 however the charm spells do not cause agro so charm things as much as you want.
    How does it work in BG EE?
    Nope. Which should be fixed, kthx?
    [Deleted User]
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    The problem with charm spell, is that it makes the target hostile after the effect wears off :(
    Avenger_teambg[Deleted User]
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Charm gives a lot of special options (just fixed a big heap of content for that).
    Sadly @Severon is right that the bg2 charm leaves people hostile.
    There needs to be a difference between dire charm/domination - which is mainly combat use and basic charm person which is to get favorable dialog options.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    i wuld agree with anton
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    Well technically, charm spells don't grant control (that's what separates a charm from a domination), Charm person just alter peoples perception of their relation to you, thinking of you as a good friend, with no negative consequence as long as you don't do anything hostile to their actual friends or family, but is easier to save against due to the bonus since you're only slightly tweaking their mind, but on the other hand you can't ask them to do anything they wouldn't do for a good friend.

Dire Charm on the other hand, causes them to develop almost fanatical devotion to you, willing to do much more then they normally would, but still no direct control. And since they remember everything when the spell tends, they'd realize you used a spell on them and will react accordingly (would be nice to add the 2nd level Forget spell....to help with these issues..aka, resets them to their original standing if they fail the save). On the other hand, the greater degree of mental adjustment makes it easier for the spell to work, and thus no bonus to save.

Domination type spells on the other hand grant direct control over the subject, and you can direct them to do things against their will, but self-destructive or hostile actions towards them breaks the effect.
    Djimmy
  • Charm gives a lot of special options (just fixed a big heap of content for that).
    Sadly Severon is right that the bg2 charm leaves people hostile.
    There needs to be a difference between dire charm/domination - which is mainly combat use and basic charm person which is to get favorable dialog options.

That's what I thought. I was pretty sure that Oublek went hostile on me after the Charm I used to lure him away from the guards wore off.
    [Deleted User]
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Actually, the friends spell has lots of use. But in different places. It modifies reaction, and there are quite many places where reaction counts.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]