Skip to content

what is the dumbest thing you've ever done in baldurs gate?

KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
dunno if such a thread exists already but i am curious about your failures :)
mine was attacking sarevok with 3 mages who didnt rest to restore their spells :P

Comments

• ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Mine was playing with a BGII conversion that wouldn't load the Saravok battle... closest I've ever come to finishing it (so far!)
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    To be fair, he wasn't a *great* cleric... but still lol worthy.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    The one that comes to mind from BG1 was using wand of frost on Greywolf and then chunking him to icy bits. I only realized a lot later that I had destroyed the best long sword in the game. It took all my will power to not restart the game.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited January 2013
    Back in BG1, the dumbest thing ever was to tell myself that the scratch on CD 5 wouldn't be so bad. I had gotten the game from a friend, not new, and he said the CD "may jump a bit when installing". So I happily played away and realized much, much later that the scratch made it impossible to enter some areas in Baldur's Gate. Including one that was neccessary to solve the poison quest. :|
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    edited January 2013
    Oh lots and lots of dumb things, can't say which one was worst. But I can say which one was the last: in my current playthrough, the Ducal Palace fight: I had Quayle and Tiax stand at the back and simulatenously cast 2 spells in the very first round. Quayle was casting Greater Malsion, Tiax Dispel Magic. I forgot to check the casting time; the former's is 4 while the latter's is 6, meaning that Tiax actually dispelled the greater malison which had just landed on the greater dopplegangers.

This ruined my battle plan and almost had me lose both dukes. Very dumb.

Full details here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12581/the-no-reload-challenge-spoiler-warning/p6
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    ajwz said:

First time I played bg2 I remember not registering that Anomen was a cleric, so I went through the whole game just using him as a fighter.

OMG that's epic :D

He does look like a fighter though :)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Haer D'Alis : We're gonna use this gem to open a portal, care to join us?

(it was my first playthrough, and I thought "but If I don't return I'll never be able to save Imoen!)

Me: I'm not interested in fighting extraplanar creatures. Bye.

Pretty stupid!
  • AldericAlderic Member Posts: 37
    My most memorable fail was recently, on a solo play-through with a human berserker. I headed to Ulgoth's Beard early in the game (I was level 2-3). So at the northern edge of that map with the closed bridge to BG (behind the house of the priestess' daughter) I valiantly fought and killed an ankheg. After I killed it I hit quick save by habit and had my warrior venture forth to Ulgoth's Beard...

Little had I noticed that I drank my very last healing potion in that battle, leaving my warrior in berserk state, all alone in the wilderness, with 14 hitpoints remaining and no ability to heal. Soon enough he became fatigued, lost 15 health and died. Moreover, I took care to have him in this state in both the quick- and the auto- saves.

It was a short career as an adventurer for this guy... It felt really dumb but I couldn't stop laughing :))) (this also was one of my very first attempts to play solo)
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Saving Dynaheir. :/
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    A one more serious than that Aerie thing: skipping the sahuagin city (or siding with the resistance) with a monk PC... yes, I did it... I really thought the rebel prince was the one who gave you the bracers of crushing. I SK'd them in after realizing my mistake.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mortalitymortality Member Posts: 8
    Hardcore run, accidentally clicked on Minsc instead of me (I was real tired) and beserked him rather than lay on hands myself (which I desperately needed).

And so ended my foray into hardcore runs.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    When I first started the game, I was...15 I think, when it was just released. Started a Mage (because magic is cool), chose True Neutral (since I didn't want to piss off Evil by choosing Good and vice versa) and since I had no idea what all the stats did (it was my first real RPG) I put 12-13's in everything.
    Since reading the manual was for chumps (as in, I only read the fluff information, not the actual game information), I didn't know you could learn spells from scrolls so I ended up in Baldur's Gate with still only Magic Missle and Larloch's Minor Drain as my spells.
    And I was wondering, why do mages suck so much?

Restarted as a dwarven fighter, read the manual, kicked all kinds of ass thereafter.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I accidently screwed up the egg swapping thing in the underdark by leaving the real eggs in the golem room.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2013
    ajwz said:

I accidently screwed up the egg swapping thing in the underdark by leaving the real eggs in the golem room.

I've done that more than once... :)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Oh, on my first trip to the Underdark I first entered the kuo toa base, thus opening the gate to surface and skipping all the chapter...
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Once I tried to romance one of the females that wasn't Viconia.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Has no one dropped there best weapon due to being scared? Then gone back and wasted hours looking for it?

Or is that just me?
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @Anduin

Khalid... is that you?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    moopy said:

@Anduin

Khalid... is that you?

Not sure if this was a worst mistake... I used to put Khalid up front as leader as he had the highest AC.

Look makes sense. He can't be hurt cause of his AC... You can guess what happened...

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Cast Web on a group of Ogre Berserkers, then I got to watch them beat the **** out of my helpless PC and a couple other party members while the mages and thieves stood by and watched.

Used a Scroll of Incendiary Cloud I had found against Aran Linvail in BG2, after forgetting to cast Protection from Fear on my own party. One of his clerics then cast Horror, causing my PC to panic and run into the cloud, thus committing suicide.

I'm not getting into all the self-inflicted burns over time caused by fireballs going off too close for comfort.

Ah, the memories... LOL!
  • AgricolaAgricola Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2013
    I rolled and rolled for an embarrassing amount of time, finally got a massive roll that let me have over 7 charisma and 18x5 stats; hit reroll instead of continue :(

First time playing through I entered the planar sphere as soon as I was out of irenicus dungeon. I had to restart the game.

I also have a penchant for casting lightning bolt in hallways.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    Probably playing a bunch of NPC mods. I kid, I kid. I'd say the dumbest thing I've done is not saving for quite a long time and waltzing into the illithid base in BG2, trapping myself there if I didn't want to replay a bunch. This is when I learned the value of the intelligence stat for fighters.