Skip to content

what is the dumbest thing you've ever done in baldurs gate?

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Pretty much anything I did in my first playthrough of BG. I think I was like 12 years old, had never heard of DnD, and wasn't aware that there was an instruction manual available in pdf form on the CD. I don't remember much of it, but one thing I sort of remember was when I first bought some armour for my fighter.

I started off buying splint, as it was the most expensive kind I could afford, and I figure more expensive meant better. But when I equipped it, my AC went down, which made me think it was bad armour. So I sold it and bought the next expensive armour. Same thing happened. I think I got all the way to buying studded leather or just leather before I realized that lower AC must be better. At least I think I realized this, it's possible I just spent the rest of the game rocking studded leather on my fighter. Apparently I was pretty dumb when I was 12.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @TJ_Hooker: In all fairness, I think that's a reasonable mistake to make at first if you have no background in D&D and don't have anyone to explain the rules 9and don't read the manual - who read game manuals at 12 anyway?)

Of course the fact you did it several times with different armours is rather funny.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Over the years ive made more than i care to admit one that comes to mind right now though was trying to kill Renal Bloodscalp for over 2 hours at which point i finally realized the assassins that came out of nowere were going to 1 shot me every time.
  • GSMGSM Member Posts: 34
    Die to a Gibberling
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    GSM said:

Die to a Gibberling

I think at some point or another most of done this, you get props for admitting it though lol.
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    Dual classed yoshimo to fighter on my first playthrough at about lvl 11. Then he never got his abilities back
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Left a quest sensitive item on Keldorn before he left my party. When I got him back, he no longer had it....
  • BlueSorceressBlueSorceress Member Posts: 84
    Played through BGII with Haer'Dalis as my only long-term arcane spellcaster and a kensai PC with 11/14/13/15/12/14 for stats. My friend came over one day and looked at my character sheet and said "Well, those are great stats ... for a mage," showed me how to level up my characters (halfway through the De'Arnise keep quest - those darn umberhulks kept trashing me) and then walked out laughing to go get himself a coke and some doritos.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    First play through of BG2

Windspear hills. Got to the end with a very large empty room. I was cheesily pulling enemies out of the fog of war one at a time the entire map. Saw a mage who was still neutral. Perfect! Party with epic gear ahead. Throw out a web or two, followed by a fireball spam.

Huge red dragon walks out of fog... #$*@!
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    First time I ever used a Fireball wand, I didn't read any of the details and used it on an enemy at point blank, while everyone was clustered in a narrow hallway together :D
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Quicksaving over my brother's latest savegame.

Every time he would beat the crap out of me.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Sylph said:

First time I ever used a Fireball wand, I didn't read any of the details and used it on an enemy at point blank, while everyone was clustered in a narrow hallway together :D

I actually saw something like this happen in a PnP game once. The mage decided to cast a fireball in a room 30' square. He nearly killed himself and the monster attacking him.

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

Played through BGII with Haer'Dalis as my only long-term arcane spellcaster and a kensai PC with 11/14/13/15/12/14 for stats. My friend came over one day and looked at my character sheet and said "Well, those are great stats ... for a mage," showed me how to level up my characters (halfway through the De'Arnise keep quest - those darn umberhulks kept trashing me) and then walked out laughing to go get himself a coke and some doritos.

That reminds me, the first time I played, I didn't know how to level up (I assumed it was automatic) and made it to the bandit camp with only level 1 people (All with a little + on their portrait that wouldn't go away, was really curious what it meant).
    And no, the Nashkel Mines were not fun with only level 1 characters.
  • ToffeeToffee Member Posts: 55
    IkMarc said:

Quicksaving over my brother's latest savegame.

Every time he would beat the crap out of me.

You mess with me; you mess with YOU!

I have done many foolish things: from funny, catastrophic things such as the aforementioned 'wands of lighting', to buffing my party for a fight, only to forget to BERSERK and watch slay his friends with reckless abandon.

The gameplay decision that caused me the most frustration, however, was my first BG playthrough with a mage (an invoker - why Lord, why?). That bastard Minsc kept chunking her on the Gnoll stronghold area because we took too long clearing the mine - I needed to rest for my spells damnit!
  • DreyyDreyy Member Posts: 118
    One of the first times playing Baldurs Gate and giving Minsc the Cursed Berserker Sword +3, him being primary tank and me playing a mage, not relising it sends its weilders loopy and he ended up killing off my entire party while i shouted at the screen "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? STOP KILLING YOUR TEAM!!"
    One of the first times playing Baldurs Gate and giving Minsc the Cursed Berserker Sword +3, him being primary tank and me playing a mage, not relising it sends its weilders loopy and he ended up killing off my entire party while i shouted at the screen "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? STOP KILLING YOUR TEAM!!"
    Sorry screen froze, *cough* awkward.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I gave Khalid the Cursed Berserking Sword +3 on my first playthrough. He would Berserk-charge towards a group of enemies, then lose his nerve and flee. It was rather hilarious to see.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    On one of my early play throughs, I thought dual class looked fun.. I mean who doesn't want another class right? No need to read any details. I was severely disappointed with the result.

@Drugar - took me forever too my first time to figure out that + meant level up. I don't think I made it as far as you though haha!
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    edited January 2013
    Edit: That was a very strangely delayed double post...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    When I was a noob, I thought I could triple class - what a disappointment when my fighter dualed to thief couldn't become a mage...
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Side-topic:
    I always found it illogical that humans could dual-class but demi-humans couldn't.
    It would make more sense to me that after 300 years, an elf gets tired of levelling as a Fighter and takes up Wizardly studies, while a human (with his tiny lifespan) would want to do everything at once (hence, Multiclass). Instead, it's the other way around.

@SirK8
    It wasn't easy! Every arrow in the Nashkel Mines basicly insta-killed my lvl1 Mage with 4hp, I barely understood trapfinding, so most traps were found face-first, as it were, being waylaid by enemies (especially bandits with bows) meant immediate reloading and everyone was out of spells after 2 casts.
    It was around the Bandit Camp (and the hours of constantly getting slaughtered there) that I figured out that there was something wrong with my levels.
    D'oh.
  • EstarriolEstarriol Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2013
    @Drugar made my day! Best dumbest BG story!

In my first bg run i was proud of my mage that could use Level 3 spells. Learned lightning in the School of ulcaster and casted lightning in the school of ulcaster....only did that once...

And in BG 2 i decided to kill the Dragon in the underdark after i've nearly finished it's quest. i don't remember exactly the circumstances but i know, that my party was stuck in the underdark for ever....
  • BlueSorceressBlueSorceress Member Posts: 84
    Drugar said:

That reminds me, the first time I played, I didn't know how to level up (I assumed it was automatic) and made it to the bandit camp with only level 1 people (All with a little + on their portrait that wouldn't go away, was really curious what it meant).
    And no, the Nashkel Mines were not fun with only level 1 characters.
    Oh man, that little + ! I had no friggin' clue what it meant.

I thought, "Oh, my characters have leveled up! How exciting la-dee-da - isn't adventuring grand? Tra-la-la!"

Then I was like, "WHY AM I DEAD! I WASN'T DYING THIS MUCH BEFORE! WHY AREN'T I GETTING ANY BETTER, YOU &*%$#@?!?"

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who made that mistake.

-Blue
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Agricola said:

I rolled and rolled for an embarrassing amount of time, finally got a massive roll that let me have over 7 charisma and 18x5 stats; hit reroll instead of continue :(

First time playing through I entered the planar sphere as soon as I was out of irenicus dungeon. I had to restart the game.

I also have a penchant for casting lightning bolt in hallways.

yeah, my first attempt at bg2 was cut short by the planar sphere. then with bgee announced, i waited for that and would do a full playthrough. finally beat the game early this month.