Skip to content

Your favorite TV show that nobody else watches

MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
It seems like everybody and their mother watches Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones these days. Hell, my grandparents are Thrones fans now. So, no sense in making a thread about people's favorite shows.

Instead, what shows do you enjoy, that nobody else seems to watch? They could be old and finished, brand new and unknown, or simply obscure with a small fan base.

I've got two:

A fairly obscure show I got into is The Booth at the End. Both five-episode seasons are available on Hulu for free, if you don't mind the ads. It's an exceptionally well-written and well-acted show taking place solely in a single booth in a diner, but the dialogue and atmosphere are riveting to the point where you won't care. I can't find any information on the show since so few people watch it (The homepage link on its Wikipedia page simply links to Hulu), but I'm holding out hope for a season 3. Check it out if you like Twilight Zone-type stories.

Another show I'm a huge fan of is House of Lies. Much less obscure than Booth, but I've still never met somebody who's seen it. It's about a group of high-power management consultants who make the big bucks bullshitting their way through various corporations. I'm constantly impressed by the combination of comedy and drama, and the main cast (starring Don Cheadle) is on a whole other level from most lesser shows out there.

I'm eager to see if anyone else watches these shows, or if someone has their own recommendations that people might not be aware of.
Djimmy

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Archer. It may actually be pretty popular, but no one I know seems to watch it. It's probably one of my favourite shows right now. And in the process of typing this post, I remembered that the new season has started. Awesome.
    DinsdalePiranhaMykra
  • WendschlagWendschlag Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2013
    Fox of the nineties before reality TV, and the cute women on the channel to scrape for ratings (MWC,ILC, etc). Dare I say MTV when they actually played music, and had innovative show writers (B&B, Buzzkill, The State)?

You can still watch Twilight zone on JTV, but not much in the genre left. This zombie nonsense is just like the vampire movies it will fade, and if Hollywood has it's way it will be quick.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I love Archer! My brother and I always watch that show, and we always suggest "guest" when someone can't remember their password before falling over laughing.
    TJ_Hooker
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    I won't say that nobody watches it, but the audience for The Golden Girls consists primarily of middle aged women, a group to which I do not claim membership.
    TJ_Hooker
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I can watch The Universe almost... universally. I don't know anyone else who watches it.

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    The Inbetweeners, Grimm maybe...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Canadian Pickers/American Pickers. Guys that go to hoarders places and buy stuff from them.
    Boardwalk Empires is HBO but doesn't get as much love as other series so I think it fits as well as
    Rome, 2 season of HBO very similar to GoT in characters manipulating others for personal gain.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Rome is awesome. So is Spartacus, which only few people seem to watch. There is a lot plotting and political scheming. Sadly, many people overlook that because "OMG SO VIOLENT, THIS SUCKS".
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    I liked Spartacus, but I've only seen the first season. Shame about the actor playing Spartacus passing away (from cancer), if memory serves. I've also seen a few episodes of Rome but I don't remember much of that.

My favorite show would have to be South Park. You can watch almost all the episodes for free on their website, which is pretty awesome.

As for shows nobody else watches, I'd say Penn & Teller Bullshit! and Nova Science Now (also available on their website) are pretty sweet.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    I absolutely love The Wire. Don't know many people who have also (completely) seen it.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'm probably the only person I know that still watches American Idol, lol. It's like a ritualized thing by now. I don't seem to tire of it. (There's a shock from someone posting on a forum for a 14 year old CRPG.)
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    The original spartacus on HBO is the lead in http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0857376/ It got meh reviews, but I enjoyed it.

I don't watch a lot of tv I saw burned with jeff ross the other day it was pretty funny. I am watching Farscape right now. I watched the showgun marathon a few month ago it was amazing.
    Erg
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Lexx.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

I am watching Farscape right now.

Best sci fi show ever (imho). Not as popular as it deserves to be.
    Chaotic_Good
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    Justified. It's simply awesome.

That and Psych. It's simple, it's stupid and FULL of bad jokes...and I love it :-)
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I don't think my friends watch The Bachelor or The Bachelorette. I wonder why.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    From the previous ones, I watch The Universe and Grimm. Is anyone watching Elementary out there or am I alone? :)
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I watch alot of Archer, Wilfred, Futurama, and It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia, but I think alot of people watch those shows now. Recently the old shows I've been watching are Trigun and Whose Line is it Anyways (with Drew Carrey).

Haven't watched a single episode (all the way through anyways) of Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and A Game of Thrones. (insert hipster and 'haters gonna hate joke here :D )

23yr old male here too if that doesn't fit the stereotype. :P
    TJ_Hooker
    Wiggles said:

I watch alot of Archer, Wilfred, Futurama, and It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia, but I think alot of people watch those shows now. Recently the old shows I've been watching are Trigun and Whose Line is it Anyways (with Drew Carrey).

Haven't watched a single episode (all the way through anyways) of Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and A Game of Thrones. (insert hipster and 'haters gonna hate joke here :D )

23yr old male here too if that doesn't fit the stereotype. :P

To be honest, I think most of the shows in your first paragraph aren't too surprising for a 23 year old guy (although I don't know anything about Wilfred or Trigun).

But yeah I'm with you on the rest. I'm a 21 year old guy and have never watched the Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. I watched some Breaking Bad, but lost interest after a couple seasons and haven't looked back.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I usually hate shows that are hyped even months before they begin airing, but I have to say that Game of Thrones is an exception. I really liked it and can't wait for new episodes.
    KidCarnival
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    After all those years, I'm still addicted to "The Nanny", starring Fran Drescher.

I also enjoy a british sitcom called "Miranda" , starring Miranda Hart =D
  • LeronisLeronis Member Posts: 112
    @Chaotic_Good "burned with jeff ross" is hirrarious.

"Ted Talks" is worthy if you are the thinker type.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited February 2013
    I'm the only one of my friends who gave Heroes a shot after season 1 and 2, and I thought it was great (season 2 and 4 were awful but I enjoyed them nonetheless). The show Touch with Kiefer Sutherland is not that well known among my friends, and my friends all despise Smallville (I like it in part to make fun of it, but I also like that it is different than Superman comics and isn't the same story).

Just curious, anyone else watch Dexter? I've watched 5 and a half seasons in the last month and am going to watch 1 and a half seasons this weekend...
    TJ_Hooker
    toanwrath said:

ust curious, anyone else watch Dexter? I've watched 5 and a half seasons in the last month and am going to watch 1 and a half seasons this weekend...

Yup, been watching it regularly for the last few years. The quality started to vary a bit around season 5, but I think they got back on track more or less this last season. As much as I like the show, I'm kinda glad that the next season is going to be the last. It would be a shame for it to turn into one of the shows that gets dragged on long past its best before date, only to end unceremoniously with getting cancelled.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    @Wilbur: I often don't notice new, pre-hyped shows begin airing (not in the US, so always behind) and the first I see of it is hype. And hate them for that, or at least lose interest in watching it, even if it might interest me otherwise. Game of Thrones is an exception - though, in that case, I hadn't heard a thing and my brother just showed me the first episode. Saved me from the usual prejudice.
    I still watch Walking Dead, but I think it's horribly overhyped. The 3rd season did get better than the 2nd... but that's really not hard. Any Golden Girls season (which I watched almost religiously some years ago) was more entertaining than TWD season 2.

Also absolutely guilty with reality TV and audition shows. Bachelor, though I don't always watch the entire show (quit when prettiest girl leaves), Idol/Voice/X-Factor and the ultimate trash sin, I'm a celebrity, get me out of here.
    Wilbur
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Antiques Roadshow
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Huge Chuck fan. Favorite show ever.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    TJ_Hooker said:

toanwrath said:

ust curious, anyone else watch Dexter? I've watched 5 and a half seasons in the last month and am going to watch 1 and a half seasons this weekend...

Yup, been watching it regularly for the last few years. The quality started to vary a bit around season 5, but I think they got back on track more or less this last season. As much as I like the show, I'm kinda glad that the next season is going to be the last. It would be a shame for it to turn into one of the shows that gets dragged on long past its best before date, only to end unceremoniously with getting cancelled.
    Well I couldn't get season 7 on Amazon instant video since it isn't available yet (though it is on DVD/bluray), so now I'm stuck with the season 6 cliffhanger!!! GAAH!!!

Shame that 8 will be the last season, I haven't been disappointed with the series yet. I definitely think that there are weaker moments in seasons 5 and 6 but I still thoroughly enjoy it all.

And now to avoid this thread just in case spoilers happen...
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    I've become addicted to the Australian TV show 'Underbelly'. It's a premise like the Wire (but nowhere near as good) of based on real life events and people and splitting time between the task force and the criminals, but I've found the first two seasons so far to be well acted, good production values, and really informative as being in the States I've never heard of these major crimes. I kind of want to skip straight to the newest season as I heard it was really good, and the criminal was one of the major inspirations of Jeff Lindsay's DEXTER.