Skip to content

Is there a best weapon?

If I were to make a beat-stick fighter, what should his weapon of choice be? I mean, what are the best weapons in the game and for what character types would they be best for? I'm only interested in what can be found in BGEE. Granted, I understand that we haven't explored enough of BGEE to know everything but we should be familiar enough with the metagame from BG:TOTSC, right?

Comments

• ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    You can't go wrong with longswords, but if you're new should consider a ranged weapon aswell. Generally I would pay attention to speed factor, and with a quick thumb on the space bar it's that which will save your life by interrupting mages.

No good having a low ac and damage output when your facing down a mage about to cast lightning bolt in a narrow corridor. I'm sure those moments were Loony Toon inspired.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Warhammer +2 Ashideena is probably the best overall. It's blunt which is the best damage type, and deals an additional +1 electrical damage that can by-pass stoneskin.

The greater wolfwere can't be hit by it, though that's it's only deficiency, and it excels vs every other enemy type.
  • If we're talking about raw damage, the Staff of Striking is still the top of the heap, though it has limited charges. Two-Handed Sword +3 comes in second. If you want one-handed weapons so you can dual-wield, Drizzt's scimitars are still tops, and there are now two +2 scimitars in the game if you don't want to take Drizzt's (or can't use both of them). Varscona (Longsword +2) is right up there, followed by the Staff-Mace and Albruin (a bastard sword with some nice secondary abilities, though you need to do Dorn's quest-line to get it). You'll notice that aside from Scimitars, each weapon type only has one really good option, which isn't very convenient for a dual-wielding Fighter who's aiming for High Mastery.
  • AgricolaAgricola Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2013
    There's a new weapon called the stupifyer, 25% chance to stun on hit for 1d4 rounds with no saving throw. It's a mace with 1d6+2 damage (crushing). The thing to remember is that plate mail and full plate mail have no extra protection against crushing but do against other attack types; this effectively makes it +4 thac0 versus swords possibly pushing it over drizzt's weapons. I think the weapon is new anyway, I don't remember it from the original BG.

IMHO this is the best weapon I have encountered in the game. Having said this, longbows are the most effective weapons early in the game bar none.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    I find an excellent choice while remaining tanky is Albruin+1. Does 2d4+3 damage, despite being only a plus one, is flagged as silver (so effective against karoug), grants immunity to poison, and can detect invisibility 1/day. So it does 5-11 damage, slightly better than a two-handed sword +2 (3-12).

It can be found at the conclusion of Dorn's questline.
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I think Spiders Bane is probably the best in BG1. It gives immunity to hold type spells which is really useful IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    Stupefier is a great weapon, especially on someone who gets multiple attacks per round. In addition, unlike warhammers or flails (unless you count Kiel's, but I'm not a fan of randomly berserking), there's more than one good mace in the game, so you can dual-wield them pretty effectively (Stupefier main hand, Mace +2 off hand).

As far as I can tell, in BGEE, crushing damage is superior to slashing against 1) Skeletons, 2) Clay Golems, and 3) enemies in (full) plate. Skeletons have crappy enough HP and AC that they'll go down fast to slashing-wielders even with the 50% damage resistance. Clay Golems are about as rare as Greater Wolfweres/Loup Garou, so rank at about the same place as to whether you should modify your proficiencies to counter them. The big thing is that extra AC plate users get against slashing. You have to weigh that lower chance to hit them vs. better average damage against everything else for slashing weapons. Using +3 weapons (Two-handed sword +3, Drizzt's Scimitars) can help compensate for the plate penalty, though you'll still be down 2 or 3 points against those heavy armored foes.

Edit: Incidentally, I'd recommend staying away from Piercing damage. Enemies that are resistant to physical damage tend to be very resistant to piercing (jellies are a prime example), and missile damage even moreso. This is why focusing on ranged combat as your primary form of combat loses its competitiveness after the early game, though it's still nice to have a strong NPC archer in your party.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Stupefier is the best weapon hands down.

25% chance to stun no save, and it is the best damage type.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Drizzt's Defender for sure.
    +3 Scimitar, +2 AC bonus

Xan's Moonblade is nearly as good ...
    +3 Long Sword*, +1 AC bonus, +50% Fire Resistance

*Yes, it's technically a dagger. But it's 1d8 and looks like a long sword. So shhh.
  • Quartz said:

*Yes, it's technically a dagger. But it's 1d8 and looks like a long sword. So shhh.

It's a great sword, shame about the 7 Con Mage it's stuck to...

• AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    edited January 2013
    If you're playing a zerker / xdual class there's a +2 flail now in BG:EE ... so ***** in flails might be worth it. You can get flail of ages early into BG2 ... if multiclass you have lots of ** so take your pick from above suggestions :D There are tons of good longswords throughout the game, ... crushing is very nice tho.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    edited January 2013
    @Dragonfolk2000

Go Grandmastery in Staves and ++ in Two-Handed Weapon Style. Crushing damage is strongest to armor bonuses and some enchanted creatures. The two highest damaging weapons in the saga are as fllows:

(For Raw Damage Output)

Two-Handed = Staff of the Ram - Mean Average Damage of 18 Damage per swing on all creatures. +1 for Two-Handed Weapon Style. (19 Total)

One Handed = Flail of the Ages +5 (Full Upgrae) - 19.5 MADMG per swing. (10 of which is various elemental, 9.5 is physical)

During the saga these are the two strongest weapons, hands down.

Carsomyr, Gram the Sword of Grief, Ravager, Crom Faeyr, Axe of Unyielding, Foebane...Angurduval, spectral brand, etc...there are a ton of great weapons with great abilities that do fantastic damage in BG2SoA-ToB, and I'm only touching the tip of the iceberg. But the two up top on my list do the most consistent damage.

In BG1EE There is a +3 staff you can buy fairly early....and the staff of striking which is a killer for bosses.

In BG2SoA You can buy a +4 staff early...and there's a ton of staves to go around so you're not cutting into wizard weapons.

Go Berserker or Kensai they do the most damage / have the best abilities. (I much prefer Berserker)

If you're going defensive using dualwielding maybe take flails and/or Scimitars. Or Hammers!

There's a +2 Hammer that's easy to obtain early in BG1 that's one of the best weapons in the game.

In BG1EE there's a plus two Flail you can buy and there's a ton of +2 Scimitars available...as well as Drizzt's gear.

But in BG2 there's a lot of great weapons in all classes. Though grandmastery in one weapon class is easier to obtain if you are going to dual class ever.

My recent berserker has grandmastery in two handed swords...and he's a beast. Though I knew he'd be weaker than if he used staves.
    Post edited by Debaser on
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Spiderbane is a pretty nice two handed sword and well worth it if only for the Free movement abilities.

There is an axe in the Cloakwood mines (I think???) that is great against mages.

Greywolf's longsword is excellent early on.

As far as Xan's weapon, I agree it is excellent. Unfortunately it is only usable by Xan, which effectively neuters it completely.
  • Sick_BoySick_Boy Member Posts: 20
    Stupefier, no doubt
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Aye, Stupefier is actually getting Viconia out of the back lines in my evil party.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    Dagger of Venom.
  • KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
    best weapon is Lilarcor without a doubt :D
    If you want some real fun dual wield the Stupefier in one hand and the Dagger of Venom in the other.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Cant go wrong with warhammers. There is a powerful one in bg1 and in bg2, pre spell hold and post spellhold.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'd probably go with a Berserker dual-wielding maces

Mace+++
    Two-Weapon Style +++

using the Stupifier and first a Mace+1, then later Mace +2.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited January 2013
    Kaigen said:

Quartz said:

It's a great sword, shame about the 7 Con Mage it's stuck to...

Shame about your inability to adapt to Xan's playstyle. :\

As far as Xan's weapon, I agree it is excellent. Unfortunately it is only usable by Xan, which effectively neuters it completely.

...Yeah, and you, too.

Guys, go search for the thread on playing Xan ... seriously I thought he was terrible too, then I learned how to play him properly.

EDIT: Okay I can't find said thread. So ...

Basically you take Xan and load him up on disabling/crippling spells, and a few Mirror Images, eventually Stone Skin and a Fire Shield as well. Basically just throw around Sleep, Hold Person, Emotion, etc. and have him wack the shit out disabled opponents while the rest of your party deals with those who succeeded their saving throws. He does 4-11 damage per hit, so ummm ... he kills stuff pretty fast when they can't dodge.

Also he can still use Wands of Fire if you need him to. His biggest loss ends up being Stinking Cloud and Web really. Keep Potions of Fortitude on him in case you have to use one in a pinch. 18 Con basically solves his only issue.
    Lemernis said:

I'd probably go with a Berserker dual-wielding maces

Mace+++
    Two-Weapon Style +++

using the Stupifier and first a Mace+1, then later Mace +2.

Aye. Maces are actually very powerful, I've found recently.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    BG:EE fixes one of my main annoyances with BG:1, the lack of decent weapons of some types. Ultimately just about any weapon now has at least one +2 variant.

The differences in opinion in this thread just show that there are now a lot of different and entirely viable ways to go in weapon choice and there previously weren't. I would say that on balance the "best" weapon depends on your Charname class and weapon restrictions and the NPCs you have in your party.

As an example the Chelsey Crusher is now the best melee weapon for non-Blade Bards but sucks for anyone else due to having only one attack.

Variety is the spice of life, if only we had more proficiency points to spread around.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2013
    A cavalier is fantastic with spiders bane, helm of peace, ring of fire resist and boots of grounding and cloak of balduran. This gives them amazing resistances and immunities. The only elemental damage to worry about would be cold, and u are still resistant to it. And u can swap boots if u want more frost instead of electrical resist. The others are drastically reduced

In addition carsomyr is among the best in bg 2
    @Quartz

You plan on using Xan?

Your quest is in vain!

(Just kidding Xan is my favorite BG1 mage)
  • @Quartz Don't get me wrong, Xan is great, it's just that once you cripple the enemy team so that he can safely engage, you're in cleanup mode and it doesn't matter that his damage is better than a mage flailing around with a quarterstaff.

As a spellcaster, he's fantastic. The defensive bonuses the Moonblade gives him are great. The fact that it's effectively a +3 Longsword is a "win more" effect. If it's in play, you've already got the upper hand.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited January 2013
    Moonblade, and you can also wield it with your mage if you know how.
  • SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    Lilarcor's brother. I mean... it's a +12 Hackmaster!