Skip to content

A question about Drizzt

Well i killed him and i got 2x +3 scimitars and the armor.

In some place i read he should drop a +5 scimitar and a +3 one.

Is it a bug? or it has been changed?

ty.

Comments

• hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    I think he drops those in BG2
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013
    It's called a +5 scimitar, but it acts like a +3 one. I think the idea is that in DnD, with "defending items" (it's a "defending scimitar") you can choose to change some of the enchantment bonus over to an AC bonus. The way they did it in BG was to set that AC bonus at +2, so the enchantment bonus is +3.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    It's not a +5 Scimitar, though it is sometimes referred to as such because It is +3 attack +2 AC. Probably something to do with PnP as well, from what I've read.
  • GaNoNGaNoN Member Posts: 151
    TJ_Hooker said:

It's called a +5 scimitar, but it acts like a +3 one. I think the idea is that in DnD, with "defending items" (it's a "defending scimitar") you can choose to change some of the enchantment bonus over to an AC bonus. The way they did it in BG was to set that AC bonus at +2, so the enchantment bonus is +3.

Mathmick said:

It's not a +5 Scimitar, though it is sometimes referred to as such because It is +3 attack +2 AC. Probably something to do with PnP as well, from what I've read.

Ty alot, was very confused :)
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Am I bad at playing evil because even my Bounty Hunter party has no real interest in even attempting to kill him?

A: most people kill him only for the items
    B: My Bounty Hunter is smart enough to know the trouble that would come from this.
    C: He's almost impossible to kill without a tankerload of cheese.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416

Am I bad at playing evil because even my Bounty Hunter party has no real interest in even attempting to kill him?

B: My Bounty Hunter is smart enough to know the trouble that would come from this.

Close to the level cap, he's not too difficult to fight straight-up. His magical defenses are such that your spellcasters are basically only useful for buffs, but a few good fighters are all that is really needed. I killed him legitimately in my last run at near the level cap, tanking him with Korgan for a good long while and getting hits in with Dorn and my PC Fighter/Thief.

Of course, there are very few legitimate ways of killing him early in the game to take advantage of his powerful items...
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

You don't actually need all that much cheese (although this obviously depends on your definition of cheese). I think simply having the wand of monster summoning is enough, as long as it's sufficienly charged. Just equip all your characters with ranged weapons, use a charge on the wand, buff however you deem fit, and then attack him. The summons should keep him busy and away from your party. Just use the wand again every time he's nearly wiped out your summons.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I find it very hard to believe that someone can kill Drizzt on the first ever playthrough without massive cheese, all while not understanding basic things like party balancing or weapon proficiencies...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    *chuckles* True enough considering the number of Neutral and even 'Good' parties that find an excuse to kill him just for his gear.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252

*chuckles* True enough considering the number of Neutral and even 'Good' parties that find an excuse to kill him just for his gear.

Killing Drizzt should set you to (Something) Evil, kind of like the test later in the series. In fact, I'd like to see more of those alignment tests spread throughout the game as they are the only real thing that seems like they make alignment worth a damn in this game.

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    He's a Drow. Any party of any alignment have the perfect excuse to kill him.
    @decado the justification is strong in this one...
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    decado said:

He's a Drow. Any party of any alignment have the perfect excuse to kill him.

Maybe if you are Lawful Stupid. Like the character or not, Drizzt is a good guy. Killing him because of his race on sight when he is not aggressive is an evil act, especially for a good aligned character.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    in pnp the defensive scimitar +5 lets you choose how much you want in offensive and how much in defensive. you could choose +5 + 0 or +4 +1 or +3 +2. in bg it's fixed in +3 +2.
    Most of my characters haven't read R.A. Salvatores books and at this stage in Drizzt's life he isn't that well renowned across the sword coast. Plus why should I believe him? If he is the great Drizzt Do'Urden why would he need my help chunking a pesky pack of gnolls?

He's just a lying Drow (so thought my elven F/M/T on my last playthrough before backstabbing him into chunks).
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    If you are a Paladin or Cleric you can easily cast detect evil or known alignment when Drizzt is around. It's a poor excuse. :)
    Happily I never memorise such spells. Plus I wouldn't give an evil lying drow the chance to gib me by casting such pansy spells thus giving him ample opportunity to spring whatever nasties he has planned.

The git.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    A good Drow is a dead Drow...
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    What? People try to justify killing Drizzt for his armour + swords to make sure they are roleplaying their alignment?

Do what I do: Don't roleplay this encounter. Seriously, it cuts down the time you are justifying killing him and ensures you get to the killing of him.
    @Mathmick I find that a darned sight more honest then those who scramble to find justification. If you're killing him just for the gear because it's a powergame playthough yeah OK fine. But if You're RPing good and just killing him for gear.. wow... really? You're that bad at making characters that you need to kill this guy to make it through?
    My point was simply any party can find RP justification to kill him if they want to find it. The most obvious reason in being that he is a drow. Just because he says he is someone good who your character has likely never heard of doesn't mean he is who he says he is - especially with all the hired assassins dogging your steps.

Personally I'm a filthy powergamer. I need no real justification.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    decado said:

Most of my characters haven't read R.A. Salvatores books and at this stage in Drizzt's life he isn't that well renowned across the sword coast. Plus why should I believe him? If he is the great Drizzt Do'Urden why would he need my help chunking a pesky pack of gnolls?

He's just a lying Drow (so thought my elven F/M/T on my last playthrough before backstabbing him into chunks).

Baldur's Gate takes place roughly ten years after the Time of Troubles, right? Time of Troubles happens right smack in the middle of Drizzt's story. I haven't read the most recent books, but Drizzt has accomplished the majority of what make him famous by the time you run into him in the game.

I don't mind that you're killing him. It just bugs me that people use the "He's a Drow, we killed him on sight!" idea as a roleplaying justification. Even if the PC doesn't recognize him due to a sheltered upbringing, Jaheira certainly would, as would several other NPCs.
    It's as perfectly a valid a reason for killing him as many other NPCs that you end up killing along the way if one feels the need to justify such acts. I was also always surprised at exactly how quick he is to attack your party if you refuse to help a random drow you meet along the way.

Anyway, as mentioned I have no real axe to grind here. So feel free to kill him/help him as you all see fit :)
    Would be soooooo funny to slip in a -19 reputation modifier for killing Drizzt... would be interesting to see how many people found his gear 'essential' then.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @ScytheKnight

Getting from 1 to 20 reputation isn't that difficult, and it doesn't take very long either.
  • wildwild Member Posts: 43
    @UnknownQuantity doesn't his 100% resistance stop you from detecting his alignment
    @moopy uuurgh... honestly the reputation system is the most half-assed 'feature' of the entire BG saga... honestly I think they wanted some way to make NPCs leave parties outside their own alignment and a way to trigger which dreams you get.... and then the rest was just "Hey wouldn't it be a great idea if..."
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited January 2013
    Mykra said:

Maybe if you are Lawful Stupid. Like the character or not, Drizzt is a good guy. Killing him because of his race on sight when he is not aggressive is an evil act, especially for a good aligned character.

I have to agree with @decado here: how would your PC know that Drizzt is a good guy? You've been living in Candlekeep your whole life, it's unlikely you have much knowledge about the outside world...

@Madhax: That's an interesting question, though - even if Drizzt is famous at this point (which is actually supported in-game if you take Viconia with you to recruit the Larswood Party Member), how could good PCs know that he actually is who he claims to be? Unless I'm mistaken, Drizzt's magic resistance makes him immune to spells like Detect Evil, so all you can really do is take him at his word. And I'm okay with the idea that good PCs would make an honest mistake, especially in a world like D&D where race and alignment are typically tied together (in fact, isn't part of what makes Drizzt unique precisely the fact that he's a Good member of a predominantly Evil race?).