Skip to content

Chaotic Evil Aerie

What would Aerie look like if she were Chaotic Evil? I totally want Aerie to be the reverse of Viconia (who you could change to True Neutral) and make her Chaotic Evil! This was discussed in the forums, but I saw her portrait yesterday, and now I'm trying to think of how she would actually look if she were Evil. Hopefully she wouldn't have that innocent dim witted look on her face...

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I could totally see Aerie going nuts and tapping into some forbidden, unforgivable magical rituals to re-grow her wings. Give her some eye shadow and a pair of Succubus wings, and she'd look pretty evil.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Evil and annoying, don't forget annoying.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Imagining Aerie's voice as a mad chaotic evil winged wizard makes me envision a Harpy.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I've often thought about a mod that'll introduce more alignment shifts. Having Aerie embrace her hate and fear or have Imoen give into her heritage. Could be interesting stuff for an Evil PC.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'd bet there is fan fiction out there with stories based on this concept. Might be worth looking.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    my thoughts exactly @Drugar Aerie being Lawful good annoys me... I would LOVE it if she were Chaotic Evil. Same for Nalia, or even Imoen! I think some NPCs shouldn't... I think it would make some of them more dynamic
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    edited January 2013

I'd bet there is fan fiction out there with stories based on this concept. Might be worth looking.

There is. In one fanfic I read long ago, Aerie was (in secret) a priestess of Loviatar, IIRC, a real little meanie. I remember it as quite entertaining, but I don't recall the name of the author, nor whether it was in the Attic or Fanfic.net.
    EDIT: Some research indicates that it is in Cards Reshuffled by Laufey.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited January 2013
    I think she would probably... look the same, wouldn't she? Viconia and Anomen don't change their portraits, or do they?

I mean, if she were conceived as an Evil character from the get-go, she might have looked different. However, I think it'd be very hard to guess an NPC's alignment from their portrait in BG2 (provided you didn't know them before). You can't just "see" who's evil and who's not. BG1 is a little different, as there are some who look quite nasty, but even there it's far from clear. So, it wouldn't make that much sense to have a "nasty" and a "goody"-looking portrait for her.
    Post edited by The_New_Romance on
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Why doesn't she just heal her wings? Or cast fly? She's a friggin OP cleric mage after all :)
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688

Why doesn't she just heal her wings? Or cast fly? She's a friggin OP cleric mage after all :)

Regenerative spells do not work if the wound is burnt, or heals naturally, IIRC. As much as I dislike Aerie, I don't find it difficult to accept that she simply wants to be whole again. If one loses a limb no prosthesis can simply undo the injury.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Red streaks in her hair and bat wings? Priestess of Talos? :)
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Calmar said:

Regenerative spells do not work if the wound is burnt, or heals naturally, IIRC. As much as I dislike Aerie, I don't find it difficult to accept that she simply wants to be whole again. If one loses a limb no prosthesis can simply undo the injury.
    She can cast wish thi
    Well the only reason I ask if she'll look different is because of the completely dimwitted and innocent look in her eyes, and on her face. You are right that most NPCs have more of an alignment neutral look on their face, but Aerie's isn't. But granted, she probably wouldn't look much different.

And we all deserve a little pissed elf girl out to destroy the world :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2013
    Actually I don't think she would change at all. What better disguise for evil than her dimwitted, innocent face? :)
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    I mean, by the time you are an epic cleric or epic mage or have them and have the power to gain the favors of some of the most powerful creatures in the multiverse.

Don't tell me you can't find a way to fix her wings. Wouldn't a greater wish or something do the trick.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282

Calmar said:

She can cast wish thi
    My guess is something to do with the magical nature of the wings makes it impossible to restore them... or something. Doesn't matter; it's fiction and a metaphor.

Evil Aerie isn't really believable or realistic. She's shown to have too much interest and empathy for those around her to really become evil, and losing her wings obviously isn't really the only thing that makes her unhappy. I could imagine a situation where an evil bhaalspawn subdues her and forces her to do evil things, but she wouldn't thank or love them for it, and if she sees an opportunity she would try to get away or turn on them. As for how she would look; the same, but maybe even sadder. She might wear darker clothing.

• moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @Coutelier

But what, as @VittordeVitto suggests, you threw her baby into the woods. I bet that would do it.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    The portrait from the Baldur's Goth mod would probably suit her.

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/19592-mts-where-are-the-preview-pics/?p=284782
    edited January 2013
    moopy said:

@Coutelier

But what, as @VittordeVitto suggests, you threw her baby into the woods. I bet that would do it.

It would make her very, and justifiably, angry, but I wouldn't say it would make her evil. Besides, the only way she could have a baby is with the bhaalspawn romancing her, so you'd be throwing your own baby into the woods.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Aribeth changed for even less...

Aerie just doesn't have the ambition or lust for power; she's only interested in exploring the world, and kicking slavers butts when she can. Now, Nalia OTOH, is highly ambitious; that's an alignment shift I think could really be made to work.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Miloch said:

The portrait from the Baldur's Goth mod would probably suit her.

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/19592-mts-where-are-the-preview-pics/?p=284782

I imagine evil Aerie to look like Goth Haer'Dalis.

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited January 2013
    Well, Aerie could roam the multiverse and see terrible things, and then go chaotic evil! Wait, that was Sargeras. I can see Aerie as being very hard to "break".
    Coutelier said:

Aerie just doesn't have the ambition or lust for power; she's only interested in exploring the world, and kicking slavers butts when she can. Now, Nalia OTOH, is highly ambitious; that's an alignment shift I think could really be made to work.
    Man, I want to see the NPCs with switched alignments, now. Nalia would be more badass than she already is, and Minsc would be pants-soilingly scary. ...not sure I'd like a lawful good Shar-Teel, though. Or Edwin. Man, imagine a neutral good Edwin...
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Coutelier said:

Calmar said:

She can cast wish thi
    My guess is something to do with the magical nature of the wings makes it impossible to restore them... or something. Doesn't matter; it's fiction and a metaphor.

Evil Aerie isn't really believable or realistic. She's shown to have too much interest and empathy for those around her to really become evil, and losing her wings obviously isn't really the only thing that makes her unhappy. I could imagine a situation where an evil bhaalspawn subdues her and forces her to do evil things, but she wouldn't thank or love them for it, and if she sees an opportunity she would try to get away or turn on them. As for how she would look; the same, but maybe even sadder. She might wear darker clothing.

Sorry to get off-topic, but I, too, was bothered by the fact that Aerie can't figure out how to get her wings back by the end of ToB. Maybe her original wings can't be re-grown due to some magical rule, but does that mean she can't find another way to get wings? By the end of ToB she's got to be one of the most powerful spellcasters in the Realms, with access to both arcane and divine magic, and she's an Elf with hundreds of years to study and experiment. I don't buy it.

Maybe we'll see a wiser, less-annoying, fully-winged Aerie in BG3?
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

You can't just "see" who's evil and who's not.

Paladins can (once per day per level).

So can most other spellcasters, I think... but nobody ever prepares those spells.
    Madhax said:

Sorry to get off-topic, but I, too, was bothered by the fact that Aerie can't figure out how to get her wings back by the end of ToB. Maybe her original wings can't be re-grown due to some magical rule, but does that mean she can't find another way to get wings? By the end of ToB she's got to be one of the most powerful spellcasters in the Realms, with access to both arcane and divine magic, and she's an Elf with hundreds of years to study and experiment. I don't buy it.

IIRC, the bhaalspawn can offer to restore her wings upon ascending to godhood, but I think the truth is that deep down she realizes that even with her wings back she isn't going to go back to Faenya Dail. She's too aware of all the things that are going in the world now, like slavery, that she has the power to help stop now. And her personal beliefs just aren't in line with other elves (she eventually does settle, or at least make a home, in a gnomish village).
    Madhax said:

Maybe we'll see a wiser, less-annoying, fully-winged Aerie in BG3?

I imagine a more mature Aerie would be like a cross between Jackson and Carter from Stargate; Jackson's personality and passion, combined with Carter's genius. But probably still wingless, for the reasons above. But she'll have accepted that she is the wingless winged elf, and no longer care.

Although I never really found her annoying to begin with. She doesn't whine all the time; she only talks about her feelings in the romance... I don't see the sin in confiding in someone you're involved with. And she doesn't have a high pitched or squeaky voice; or at least a lot of other characters have voices that are higher and/or squeakier.
    I definitely see Nalia as Lawful Evil for sure! I can't see Minsc changing alignment for anything, he's too brain addled and good natured for that IMHO. And Aerie doesn't need to be powerhungry to be evil. Edwin is powerhungry, yes. Viconia isn't though. Chasing vengeance has made plenty of characters evil, just look at any contemporary literature or movies (star wars) and you'll find that :)
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Aerie is a cleric. She can cast armor of faith. Voila, wings.