Skip to content

Not being able to get belt of antipode

Comments

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    edited January 2013
    I rather like the fact that BG doesn't hold your hand all the time and tell you exactly how you should play and what you should do. The game world is rich enough that you can miss quests and items and still have a full gaming experience.

I'd suggest chalking it up to the learning process and pick up the item on your next playthrough. If you don't want to play again then that's fine too - hopefully you will enjoy the game as a whole even while missing a few items/quests. If not then this probably isn't the game for you.

Unfortunately modern games seem to want to hold your hand to make sure you can't miss even the tiniest bit of the game. Taking Dragon Age 2 for example, it will highlight a random bottle of wine for you to pick up and then show you on your map exactly who you should turn this into. However realistically you would have no way to know that someone in Kirkwall wants this particular bottle of wine.

PS: That particular belt is terrible anyway and no sensible person would want to wear it.
    SirK8Darksheer
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    reposter said:

To play through all 7 chapters over and over again takes a lot of time and energy, so no if this can be fixed without editing I would rather that happen.

@reposter

If you want that belt so badly and you don't want to play the game more than once or start over again, I really don't understand why you can't just use the console to get it. I mean no disrespect, just trying to understand.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Because he obviously doesn't.want to use the console, @Erg. I'm nor sure what else there is for you to get.
    scriver said:

Because he obviously doesn't.want to use the console, @Erg. I'm nor sure what else there is for you to get.

Just trying to understand his motivations. Doesn't want to use the console because

1) it would feel like cheating
    2) he is afraid it would mess the game (if this is the case there is nothing to be afraid as it isn't like messing with the savegames)
    3) something else
    4) ???
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    It's not even a good belt. I held onto it the entire game to see if it would ever be useful... it never was.

You aren't going to reach 100% completion of this game in one playthrough. Probably not in several playthroughs.

Also, Imoen totally tells you to loot his body when you first pick her up.
    TJ_Hookermjs
  • reposterreposter Member Posts: 36
    Well if there's no fix most likely I will not continue playing. Quite pointless really, too bad it did not work out.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013
    reposter said:

Well if there's no fix most likely I will not continue playing. Quite pointless really, too bad it did not work out.

Seriously? You're going to stop playing purely because you can't get the belt of anitipode? It's probably the most useless belt in the game. Even wearing no belt is better 99% of the time, because fire damage is way more common than ice. And you can only sell it for 1 gold, so you're not missing out on anything there.

Hell, even if it was the best item in game, not being able to have it wouldn't make playing the game "pointless".
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    ErgNecdilzor
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    LMFAO! Why do I get the feeling we have all just been trolled.... I am having a hard time believing this is a serious post.
    reposter said:

TJ_HookerlansounetElectricMonk
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    reposter said:

Items left unguarded on the ground disappear if too much time passes, except for crucial plot-related items that are needed to progress in the game. This holds true for just about every game I can think of that doesn't automatically loot enemies for you, and you picked just about the worst possible item to take a stand on.
    TJ_HookerSirK8
    SirK8 said:

LMFAO! Why do I get the feeling we have all just been trolled.... I am having a hard time believing this is a serious post.

reposter said:

You are not being trolled, I like collecting all items where accessible, so if its not possible like I said its unlikely I will find the game fun and thats all.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    You can collect all the items in the game... you aren't going to be able to have them all at one time due to inventory limits.

There are very few items that start on the ground. I don't understand how this is a game breaker.

You can't be very far along in the game. Start over. Or console it in. (There is absolutely no downside to you consoling it in.)

Edit:
    You also say "where accessible"

If you don't have someone that can break or pick a lock there are some items you won't be able to get out of chests. If you leave items in the ground someone else will come pick them up. It is the same sort of thing.

I understand WANTING the belt, it is awesome against winter wolves, but again. Just console it in.
    TJ_HookerSirK8
    @reposter - I have to say, if missing one item that you didn't know about until reading about it, that you left on the ground, that is mostly a worthless item (very very limited application) on your very first play through is going to ruin your entire experience with the game, then this game is not for you. Baldur's Gate is an RPG and there are choices to be made, and sometimes those choices mean you don't get an item, or you die and have to reload, or a party member dies, or an NPC dies, or you miss out on an experience reward, or your reputation is altered, or you have to fight someone, or you miss out on a fight with someone. That is the nature of the game.

If you will discount the entire game over not obtaining a single worthless item (just for fun console it in and then see how much it sells for in the store), then I wonder why you even are playing at all. Baldur's Gate is a wonderful game, full of mystery, excitement, adventure, new things to discover each time you play. YOU WILL MISS OUT ON SOMETHING EVERY TIME. Either get over it, or play a different game.

I hope that you can get past this single item in an entire saga and play through the game regardless. You are sure to find it a rewarding and fun experience. If not, then no need to waste any further time, but if so, no doubt you will spend countless hours playing it again, trying new things, new classes, new ways of playing the game.
    ErgTJ_Hooker
    @moopy - I have only equipped the item on a character once, the first time I saw it, I thought for sure it must be a cursed item and equipped it to see if it was. Since then I have never used it, the vulnerability to fire makes the belt too situational for my taste and as you said, pretty much only useful against winter wolves, which I never have problems with anyway. I never sell it because it's worthless, so I usually just stow it in a chest at the Jovial Juggler, since it did belong to Gorion.
    moopy said:

I understand WANTING the belt, it is awesome against winter wolves, but again. Just console it in.

ErgCuv
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    The only other use for the belt I can think of is against Black Talon Elites, with their Ice Arrows. Even then it's a toss up, as I usually try to have get them to focus their fire onto one specially prepared character, and in that case you may be better equipping them with the girdle of piercing instead, unless your AC is already super low.
    SirK8
    reposter said:

SirK8 said:

reposter said:

You are not being trolled, I like collecting all items where accessible, so if its not possible like I said its unlikely I will find the game fun and thats all.
    All items will never be available to you in a game like this. The game is a series of decisions and consequences, and for every quest with multiple ways to complete it, you'll be missing out on potential rewards.

While Gorion's body wasn't part of a quest in your journal, it did represent a decision on your part: Loot his body like Imoen suggested and risk being attacked by enemies hanging around that area, or decide it isn't worth the danger and heading straight to the Friendly Arm. You chose the latter, and have suffered virtually zero setbacks because of it.

You've approached this game with entirely the wrong mindset, and are making a huge issue over an insignificant occurrence. If this is truly such a problem for you, well, I hope for your sake you choose video game purchases more wisely next time.
    mlneveseTJ_HookerSirK8Erg
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    TJ_Hooker said:

The only other use for the belt I can think of is against Black Talon Elites, with their Ice Arrows. Even then it's a toss up, as I usually try to have get them to focus their fire onto one specially prepared character, and in that case you may be better equipping them with the girdle of piercing instead, unless your AC is already super low.

What about Greywolf, his sword deals cold damage IIRC, so probably of some use there.

Selaboc said:

TJ_Hooker said:

What about Greywolf, his sword deals cold damage IIRC, so probably of some use there.

It's one additional point of damage per hit. Hardly noteworthy.
    TJ_HookerSirK8
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    reposter said:

You've already been told the fix: use the console.
    You can't be too worried about cheating as you only know about it by cheating (looking up spoilers online) in the first place, so using the console to "cheat in" an item that you missed because your cheat sheet (online walkthru) didn't tell you about it soon enough, shouldn't be a big deal.
    Selaboc said:

reposter said:

You can't be too worried about cheating as you only know about it by cheating (looking up spoilers online) in the first place, so using the console to "cheat in" an item that you missed because your cheat sheet (online walkthru) didn't tell you about it soon enough, shouldn't be a big deal.
    How is using a FAQ a cheat? Its just a walkthrough not an invulnerable cheat or adding in things that are not suppose to be there to be there. I do not mind spoilers but to use a console to do a developers job is just not right in my point of view. I fight fairly when I play, so using a walkthrough is just a guide not a "cheat". If you do not want to help or just want to teach people to cheat by using console, like I said it will not work out, there is not much to talk about.
    reposter said:

Selaboc said:

reposter said:

How is using a FAQ a cheat? Its just a walkthrough not an invulnerable cheat or adding in things that are not suppose to be there to be there. I do not mind spoilers but to use a console to do a developers job is just not right in my point of view. I fight fairly when I play, so using a walkthrough is just a guide not a "cheat". If you do not want to help or just want to teach people to cheat by using console, like I said it will not work out, there is not much to talk about.
    It's your own mistake. It isn't the developer's choice to cover for your decision.

You've taken a stance in this thread that is wildly unpopular, and will find no support by continuing to post in it. You insisted earlier in the thread that you aren't a troll, but continually and caustically insisting that your indefensible point is valid is the very definition of trolling.

Since you've already stated that you won't continue to play this game due to the deficiencies you've perceived in it, I suggest you stop posting on the game's forums.

If I feel the need to post I will post. Just because I have a different point of view with the majority of posters does not make me a troll. If you just want to be so serious over a computer game, I suggest you yourself stop posting. After all you are just flaming me when you say I should stop posting just because I want to stop playing a game due to differences in game development.

I bought this game legitimately and have an account to post, so I will post if I feel there is a need to communicate. If you insist its my mistake for not getting an item which I feel ought to be there throughout the whole game as it is an unique item, then like I said your point of view differs from mine and thats understood.

Like I said, if the developers do not want to help there is not much to talk about on this topic, I am not trolling and neither should you flame me for expressing my honest point of view.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    It's very clear to me now. Reposter is the magical-belt hoarding ogre!

He's managed to break out of the game and is now actually playing it. But he has retained his obsession for magical belts. It therefore makes perfect sense that he is inconsolable about missing out on a magical belt.
    SirK8
    karnor00 said:

It's very clear to me now. Reposter is the magical-belt hoarding ogre!

He's managed to break out of the game and is now actually playing it. But he has retained his obsession for magical belts. It therefore makes perfect sense that he is inconsolable about missing out on a magical belt.

Hi Karnor, ok thanks for making fun of the situation, but no I am not a magical-belt hoarding ogre. In fact I am currently using a human paladin and I stopped after completing chapter 2. The old D&D rpgs I played usually do not have magical items that are out in the open and disappear if I do not go get them within a certain time period. Its quite disappointing to me that this game has such a system even for unique items that cannot be replaced and are out in the open due to creature deaths.

Now I am not here to argue with everyone who disagress that this feature should be included in the next patch, but like I said its no fun to miss out on items that could have been reasonably acquired by using my thief and stealth mode (like I said its my first time playing, I did not know). I only found out about the item when I started the third chapter. Now I am not saying I am going to get more character deaths or not with the item, but hey like I said if they could add in the feature to make unique items persist in the game world irregardless of item container, I would be content to try and finish the game, that is all.

• pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    The developers HAVE done their job by designing the game you play. One of those design decisions is that things disappear. If you disagree with what is actually a feature of the game world, then you have 2 options: change it yourself (AKA: USE THE CONSOLE) or learn to live with it and just play the game.
    lolien
    pacek said:

The developers HAVE done their job by designing the game you play. One of those design decisions is that things disappear. If you disagree with what is actually a feature of the game world, then you have 2 options: change it yourself (AKA: USE THE CONSOLE) or learn to live with it and just play the game.

Hi Pacek, like I said I am not here to argue with people who disagree about this feature I am proposing. So I told you I am not playing if things do not change, that is all.
    SirK8lolien
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i played BG:EE for the first time after playing BGV (Baldurs Gate Vanilla, can we use this acronym?) and i never went up to gorion's body cos in BGV all you got was a note. anyway when i found out i made a second playthrough to find it and thought

wow this is crap

so i got over it. you will miss out on items. that's the way it is.

have you played RPGs before? usually when i play a new one i'll do one play through without any aids at all and then a second completely opposite using the internet to help me find the most from the game. if you hadn't come to this forum you wouldn't have known about it anyway
    TJ_Hooker
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    paceklolien
This discussion has been closed.