Skip to content

Why does damage seem to only sometimes disrupt spellcasting?

The computer cheats?

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    In PNP the caster is supposed get a dexterity check (dexterity or less rolled on a d20) every time they are struck to avoid loosing the spell. It seems to me they fail a little more often than they ought to, although my perception may be in error.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited February 2013
    PugPug said:

The computer cheats?

Sometimes, yeah. Shandalar, for example, has nothing in his spell book and casts everything through his script. That's why he can't be interrupted by damage (although paralysis works). Some NPCs are also scripted to teleport away at some point, and the only way to stop them is to either paralyze them or kill them really fast.
    SCARY_WIZARDJuliusBorisov
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @Jalily is right: you can script your own character to do this, the keyword is 'ForceSpellMyself()'. I have seen scripts able to spells the character couldn't possibly access with the click of a button (but this of course removes all the fun: a level 1 barbarian casting Abi Dazim's Horrid Wilting????).
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Even your characters don't get systematically interrupted when damaged, and it's quite the pleasure to see your caster successfully cast a critical spell while being hit.
    AntonSCARY_WIZARD
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited February 2013
    Noon said:

Even your characters don't get systematically interrupted when damaged, and it's quite the pleasure to see your caster successfully cast a critical spell while being hit.

It's like the Tale of Jerrod's Stone, minus the petrification! I LOVE seeing a caster grit its teeth and cast the spell through the pain, and then for the effects to come about. Especially beautiful when the spell is a dispeller.
    lunarbooinyoureyes
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Wait, wait, wait... I thought any little bit of damage interrupts spells. That's certainly how it was in vanilla BG2 (and it was terrible). Has EE implemented some kind of check to sometimes let spells be cast??

I don't know the formula used, but yes, you definitely have a chance of still completing the spell. Part of why MM is so awesome is it requires a dex check (or whatever mechanism BG is using?) for each hit!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The manual p.25
    Spell Disruption

If the spellcaster is struck by a weapon or fails to make a saving throw before the spell is cast, the caster’s concentration is disrupted. The spell is lost in a fizzle of useless energy and is wiped clean from the memory of the caster until it can be re-memorized. Spellcasters are well advised not to stand at the front of any battle, at least if they want to be able to cast any spells!
    So is it sometimes saving--or not--versus spell effects that we're talking about here, such as fire, poison, acid etc.?
    Lemernis said:

The manual p.25

Spell Disruption

If the spellcaster is struck by a weapon or fails to make a saving throw before the spell is cast, the caster’s concentration is disrupted. The spell is lost in a fizzle of useless energy and is wiped clean from the memory of the caster until it can be re-memorized. Spellcasters are well advised not to stand at the front of any battle, at least if they want to be able to cast any spells!
    So is it sometimes saving--or not--versus spell effects that we're talking about here, such as fire, poison, acid etc.?

I just checked the 2E Player's Handbook, and that would seem to be taken directly from page 111. The provision for a dexterity check or save vs something-or-other may be in one of the supplements, or it may be a common house rule I've played with.
    But whatever it is, some provision is clearly in place in BG, because I have absolutely had spells sometimes go off successfully even after being struck.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    atcDave said:

In PNP the caster is supposed get a dexterity check (dexterity or less rolled on a d20) every time they are struck to avoid loosing the spell. It seems to me they fail a little more often than they ought to, although my perception may be in error.

WHOA! Everyone who I ever talked about 2e vs 3e lied to me!
    They all said 2e magic was more hardcore because you automatically lost the spell with no check and only 3e added concentration checks!
    taltamir said:

atcDave said:

They all said 2e magic was more hardcore because you automatically lost the spell with no check and only 3e added concentration checks!
    The dex check may be an optional rule. I don't have the books handy right now. But I know the games I've played in used some form the dex check since 2E came out in the late 80s.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited September 2013
    atcDave said:

taltamir said:

atcDave said:

The dex check may be an optional rule. I don't have the books handy right now. But I know the games I've played in used some form the dex check since 2E came out in the late 80s.
    The DEX check is an optional rule. Here's the full text from the PHB (notice the first two sentences):

"During the round in which the spell is cast, the caster cannot move to dodge attacks.
    Therefore, no AC benefit from Dexterity is gained by spellcasters while casting spells.
    Furthermore, if the spellcaster is struck by a weapon or fails to make a saving throw
    before the spell is cast, the caster's concentration is disrupted. The spell is lost in a fizzle
    of useless energy and is wiped clean from the memory of the caster until it can be
    rememorized."

So, no DEX check to save the spell and no DEX bonus to AC for that round either.

@taltamir - no one lied to you. ;-)
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    Alright, thanks

@OP: Assuming you verified actual damage was taken in the console (and that it wasn't a miss or blocked by spells of protection)...

The damage has to be taken DURING the act of spell casting, a mage without alacrity can only cast 1 spell per round, but the duration of the casting varies by spell. Some have low duration and certain items like the robe of vecna can further lower it

There are also sometimes mismatches between the casting animation and actual casting time, especially if you are using such items. On occasion I kill an enemy mage and the casting animation finishes by itself in mid air... then does nothing because he is dead. (had I only injured him the casting animation would have been disrupted)
    elminster
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366

Wait, wait, wait... I thought any little bit of damage interrupts spells. That's certainly how it was in vanilla BG2 (and it was terrible). Has EE implemented some kind of check to sometimes let spells be cast??

it was in vanilla i think
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Regular clerics and druids can sometimes pull spells off if they take some small damage. There is a hidden 'concentration' check feature for them in game, whether it is intentional or not.

Some enemies cast spells by their scripts and can not be disrupted at all, though they are rare.
    JuliusBorisov