Skip to content

BG:EE not working from Steam

I recently bought BG:EE from Steam and regardless of compatibility settings and suggested fixes from both here and steam I can't get the game to work. Every time I try to open the game I get An error has occurred and crash report has been saved to...

Here are my current specs

ASUS RoG G73jh
Win 7 64
Core i7 1.6
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Check your Add/Remove programs to see if OpenAL was installed.
  • vanross369vanross369 Member Posts: 12
    Yes it is, that was one of the suggested fixes from Steam.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Your best bet would be to send the crash report to Beamdog via e-mail (though, since it's a Steam version, there's no guarantee that they'll be able to help).
    I did this as well, sent it last night. One of the links that Steam has is to e-mail support which I attached the .DMP file and sent in, no word from them yet.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I forwarded the files you sent this morning; there are a few things we can try to get it working, but I'm not at the computer; I'll send you over something when I get home this afternoon.
    Thank you Aosaw looking forward to it
    Still looking for any tips or advice from others until Aosaw is able to get back to me if anyone can help
    edited February 2013
    Is it possible that you set some global video card settings in your CCC? AA, etc?
    I double checked and no I did not. I have had nothing but problems with a lot of games with the ROG laptop because of the ATI card -.- thank you though.
    edited February 2013
    Have you tried running the game in Windows 95 compatibility mode?

Go into your steam folder and look for baldur.exe. Right click->Properties->Compatibility-> check Run in Compatibility mode -> Windows 95.
    edited February 2013
    I did that already as well, but then I got a different message telling me to turn off the compatibility settings, which I have never seen before

EDIT: I recreated the message and it is a message from Steam telling me to turn of compatibility mode and tells me how to do it. It seems to think that the compatibility setting is on the Steam.exe instead of the BGEE.exe

I used the actual BGEE.exe to launch the game for this, clicking Play in steam still gives the "An error has occurred..."
    edited February 2013
    Lets just leave Steam out of the question for now.

I'm a little confused by what you just said. Navigate to your Steam folder and looking for baldur.exe. Set that to Win95 mode, then double click baldur.exe. Don't launch it through Steam. Also, do not set BGEE.exe to 95 mode.

baldur.exe = the game executable -> Windows 95 mode
    bgee.exe = the launcher -> Does not need Windows 95 compatibility mode & is irrelevant to our conversation
    Steam renames the file BGEE.exe.
    @Aosaw

Ahh, didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It is always a good idea to use a driver cleaner before updating any driver. Wierd thinks have a tendency to happen if you don't.
    I will have to try the driver cleaner, did it without it they other day and it blue screened me untill I rolled back
    @vanross369
    I would follow @Fiach's advice. A lot of the issues people have stem from driver updates not "taking"; a clean install usually fixes them, although it's never fun when someone tells you, "Hey, uninstall your drivers and then reinstall them."
    Well besides the non game graphic issues thegame wwent black and locked up my computer before even leaving Candlekeep
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @vanross369 If you can't turn on Aero you had some problem in your driver installation. Check that you have the right version for your OS and card and try installing once more.
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    One thing to note with gfx cards is your power supply, if its not strong enough it can inhibit certain facets of the card from working, it may be worth your while to google your card and see if you have enough power for it with your PSU.
    edited February 2013
    Go back to the Steam\Baldur's Gate EE folder and find the BGEE.exe (as Aosaw points out, baldur.exe = bgee.exe in Steam, but BGEE.exe = launcher on the stand alone).

On the BGEE, go into compatibility mode tab, and disable desktop composition and visual themes.
    Minevese -
    I guess I will retry the install from the drivers, I know its the correct one so Ill try once more.

Fiach -
    I know that Im getting sufficient power to support the whole system at max performance.

bigdogchris-
    I had Disable desktop composition checked from previous testing, and didn't dare un-check it when I get the game working. I'll follow it up with the visual themes if I still have problems after redoing the drivers.

All you guys are awesome, great community support here :)
    edited February 2013
    Just finished redoing the video drivers, it worked perfectly this time. I have Aero effects and what not are working fine, better then it ever has actually. I have my computer connected to a 26'' TV via HDMI but couldn't do 1080 resolution, it would be stretched off screen, but now I can. ANYWAYS I'm going to be testing the game again tonight, and trying some of the other things if I run into issues. Thanks again to all of you.

UPDATE: Well it has gotten better but not quite there, I was able to play a lot longer this time, I made it to the first encounter with Xzar doing all the side stuff along the way. The game locked up and froze my computer forcing a hard shutdown. Great progress though.
    Post edited by vanross369 on
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    Glad to hear you are getting to play, if you got as far as Xzar, thats pretty good I think, hopefully tou can pinpoint whats going wrong soon, Save often I guess until you get sorted :)
    Exactly what I have been doing, saving as often as I remember to hit quick save. This time when it crashed to blue screen -.- I will be getting me a new rig in a few weeks so Im just going to have to deal with it until then.