Skip to content

Most powerful Beings in the Forgotten Realms?

Comments

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    This thread is for the entire FR and not just Faerun, right? I'd throw my vote to Lady of Pain, she's not a god and she's not being worshiped, so she's a legit candidate. Not even the uber Vecna (that I believe is more powerful than the uber Larloch) could beat her. If anyone knows the entire story, would you mind sharing it to us? All I know is that the wiki says that "The closest the Lady of Pain ever came to being overthrown was by Vecna".
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Hmmm The Lady of Pain lives in another plane, I don't think she qualifies....
    CrevsDaak
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    If one of these powerful NPC's were more powerful than the others, they would have already eaten each other.
    edited January 2013
    @mlnevese
    But I thought the OP said Forgotten Realms, doesn't that cover Sigil? Then again, even if she qualifies...it feels like cheating bringing her to the table. She's within the league of the gods, perhaps even beyond than most. Who knows.

@DJKajuru
    That makes sense also. But remember each of these powerful individuals have connections; not to mention other powerful individuals that might feel threatened too and may react. Take Elminster for instance, he has the Harpers behind him. It would hardly be ever a 1 vs. 1, it would almost always be a world war (okay, I'm a bit exaggerating but you know what I mean). As if 1 vs. 1 is not risky enough (e.g. even if I were in Larloch's shoes, I still wouldn't take Halaster Blackcloak lightly even though he greatly outlevels the mad mage).
    edited January 2013
    I felt dizzy reading its description.:D How does it match up against a Tarrasque? ...and use [ spoiler ] without spaces
  • NaastriilNaastriil Member Posts: 60
    Wilbur said:

Oh man I would love to see Tarrasque in BG:EE.

I don't think it would fit the screen :D
    meaglothCrevsDaak
  • NaastriilNaastriil Member Posts: 60
    Karsus
    He killed the goddes of magic. and himself but I guess he still qualifies :D
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Illustair said:

@DJKajuru
    That makes sense also. But remember each of these powerful individuals have connections; not to mention other powerful individuals that might feel threatened too and may react. Take Elminster for instance, he has the Harpers behind him. It would hardly be ever a 1 vs. 1, it would almost always be a world war (okay, I'm a bit exaggerating but you know what I mean). As if 1 vs. 1 is not risky enough (e.g. even if I were in Larloch's shoes, I still wouldn't take Halaster Blackcloak lightly even though he greatly outlevels the mad mage).

Not only their connections, but also each one's intelligence . Even a guy 10 levels weaker than you might have an extra card in his sleeve, something to be used in emergencies.

Illustair
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Orcus, the Demon Prince of Undead?
    And what about the Seven Sisters? Anastra Syluné Silverhand, Alustriel Silverhand, Dove Falconhand, Laeral Silverhand Arunsun, Alassra Silverhand (The Simbul), and Qilué Veladorn? The Simbul is the most powerful sorceress in all of the Forgotten Realms! I think she designed a couple of spells, like the spell sequencers, if I'm not mistaken?
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited January 2013
    Naastriil said:

Wilbur said:

Oh man I would love to see Tarrasque in BG:EE.

I don't think it would fit the screen :D
    It's "only" 50 feet tall so it should fit the screen. And BG:EE has native support for high res so you just need a big enough display :)
    Post edited by Wilbur on
    SCARY_WIZARD
    Illustair said:

@mlnevese
    But I thought the OP said Forgotten Realms, doesn't that cover Sigil? Then again, even if she qualifies...it feels like cheating bringing her to the table. She's within the league of the gods, perhaps even beyond than most. Who knows.

Nope. Sigil is located at the plane of Concordant Opposition...
    IllustairrexregCrevsDaak
    edited February 2013
    mlnevese said:

Illustair said:

@mlnevese

Nope. Sigil is located at the plane of Concordant Opposition...
    Oh I see. I had the impression that Forgotten Realms cover all planes. It appears Planescape is another campaign on its own. I suppose Concordant Opposition is part of Planescape campaign setting?
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    @Illustair the Forgotten Realms exist in a single planet of the Prime Material Plane called Abeir-Toril. From a certain point of view you can say that Forgotten Realms and all other campaigns released by TSR/Wizards are part of the Planescape campaign Setting.
    SCARY_WIZARDrexregCrevsDaak
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I would say Liches. Larloch in particular comes to mind.
    SCARY_WIZARD
    By "exist", you mean anything within Toril is an FR campaign right? That's how I understand it now. Before, I thought FR represents the unified cosmology...I know now that it's called Great Wheel, not FR. In simpler terms, Toril = FR campaign?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Moopy

I will never sleep again. Holy crap.
    Illustair
    @Illustair The FR Campaign Setting comprises one of the continents of Toril. Maztica, for instance, is in another continent.
    Is there any chance you mean to say Faerun instead of Forgotten Realms?
    @Illustair Actually yes... sigh... I will someday learn not to post when nearly asleep on the keyboard :)
    Illustair
    edited January 2013
    Haha moderator at work. At least I learned something from the discussion. I really thought FR covers all planes. So it means Hecatoncheires as @moopy mentioned don't count also? I know for a fact that it's from Greek Mythology...and I believe that's from another plane. Or does FR also have one of those abominations? I tried to look it up just now; there are hardly any information regarding the creature.
    edited January 2013
    @Illustair Those come from the Epic Level handbook and are extraplanar as well.

BTW if you think those are bad you don't want to see the aborted undead god fetuses... THOSE give me nightmares...

ATROPAL

Large Undead (Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful)
    Hit Dice: 66d12 (792 hp)
    Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
    Speed: 5 ft., fly 240 ft. (perfect)
    AC: 51 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +40 natural)
    Base Attack /Grapple: +33/+53
    Attack: Touch +49 (2d6 Con drain/19-20) melee touch
    Full Attack: 2 touches +49 (2d6 Con drain/19-20) melee touch, eye ray +30 (negative level damage/19-20) ranged touch
    Space/Reach: 10 ft/10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Constitution drain, energy drain (2d4 negative levels, Fort DC 59), spell-like abilities, summon nightcrawler
    Special Qualities: Abomination traits, undead traits, rebuke/command undead, regeneration 20, SR 42, DR 15/good and epic and silver, negative energy aura
    Saves: Fort +22, Ref +26, Will +43
    Abilities: Str 43, Dex 15, Con -, Int 28, Wis 22, Cha 42
    Skills: Bluff +85, Concentration +85, Diplomacy +97, Hide -2, Jump +1, Intimidate +91, Knowledge (arcana, history, religion, the planes) +78, Listen +77, Search +78, Sense Motive +75, Spellcraft +84, Spot +77
    Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Dodge, Expertise, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (touch), Improved Critical (eye ray), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability, Run, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (touch), Weapon Focus (eye ray), Whirlwind Attack
    Epic Feats: Devastating Critical (touch), Overwhelming Critical (touch), Undead Mastery, Zone of Animation
    Climate/Terrain: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 30
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Always lawful evil
    Advancement: 67-80 HD (Large); 81-100 HD (Huge)
    An atropal’s natural weapons are treated as epic, evil, and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    COMBAT
    Spell-Like Abilities: Caster level 30th; save DC 26 + spell level. The save DCs are Charisma-based
    At will - animate dead, blasphemy, create greater undead, create undead, cone of cold, desecrate, greater dispel magic, finger of death, greater invisibility, plane shift, slay living, speak with dead, spectral hand, greater teleport, unholy aura;
    5/day - haste, project image, weird.
    Rebuke/Command Undead (Su): Atropals can rebuke or command undead as a cleric with a level equal to the atropal’s HD + 6.
    Negative Energy Aura (Su): A 30-foot-radius spread negative energy aura spreads from each atropal. All undead in the field (including the atropal) are treated as if having turn resistance +20 and a negative energy version of fast healing 20. Living creatures in the aura are treated as having ten negative levels unless they have some sort of negative energy protection or protection from evil. Creatures with 10 or fewer HD or levels perish (and, at the atropal’s option, rise as spectres under the atropal’s command 1 minute later).
    Constitution Drain (Su): When the atropal hits a living opponent with a touch attack, the opponent takes 5 points of permanent Constitution drain, or 10 points on a critical hit. The atropal heals 20 points of damage, or 40 points on a critical hit, whenever it drains Constitution, gaining any excess as temporary hit points. These temporary hit points last a maximum of 1 hour. The attack allows a Fortitude save (DC 59). The DC is Charisma-based.
    Energy Drain (Su): When the atropal hits with a ranged touch attack (a ray of darkness that it shoots from one eye to a range of 400 feet), the resultant energy drain bestows four negative levels, or eight negative levels on a critical hit. For each negative level bestowed on an opponent, the atropal heals 10 points of damage, or 20 on a critical hit, gaining any excess as temporary hit points. These temporary hit points last a maximum of 1 hour. After 24 hours have passed, the afflicted opponent must attempt a Fortitude save (DC 59) for each negative level. If successful, the negative level goes away with no harm to the creature; otherwise, the creature’s level decreases by one. The DC is Charisma-based.
    Regeneration (Ex): Atropals take normal damage from good weapons or sentient weapons (or otherwise living weapons).
    Summon Nightcrawler (Sp): Five times per day an atropal can summon a nightcrawler.
    Abomination Traits: Immune to polymorphing, petrification, and other form-altering attacks; not subject to energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage, or death from massive damage; immune to mind-affecting effects; fire resistance 20; cold resistance 20; nondetection; true seeing at will; blindsight 500 ft.; telepathy out to 1,000 ft.
    Undead Traits: Immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death, effects, necromantic effects, mind-affecting effects, and any effect requiring a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Negative energy heals. Not at risk of death from massive damage, but destroyed at 0 hit points or less. Darkvision 60 ft. Cannot be raised; resurrection works only if creature is willing.
    IllustairThacoBell
    edited January 2013
    By the way, how come the last few posts from this thread seem messed up with bullets? The text area for new comments is misaligned also. Is it the same there?

EDIT: I'm about to go to sleep. Er. I knew it! But I just couldn't resist opening the link...that image might just give me a nightmare!:D

EDIT2: Crap, now it's displayed as an image. Now I can no longer use the scroll-up.haha
    edited January 2013
    @Illustair I've seem it happen in one other thread. It's a bug in the forum. I´ll probably have to close this thread at page 3 and if anyone is interested it can be continued in a new thread.

Unless the bug suddenly disappear in the next page...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Szass Tam - Zulkir Lich of Necromancy
    Halastar Blackcloak insane mage of Undermountain.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I believe neither the Hecadoncheires nor the Atropal excist in Faerûn/The Forgotten Realms. They are monsters from the Epic Level Handbook and excist as a possible threat to high level characters, but do not have a documented presence in Faerun. If you want creatures for that, you should probably look into the Sharn and Malaugrym, which are from the Forgotten Realms guides that deal specificly with that setting.

On another note;
    The Forgotten Realms basicly encompasses the world of Toril plus its cosmology, which are several planes and the Prime Material, which is Toril itself. Technicly speaking, you can get to Sigil from the Forgotten Realms, but this is mostly because the Planescape Setting said it connects all the worlds/settings, not because the Forgotten Realms has an entry on Sigil and the Planes.
    In the Forgotten Realms setting, Toril (specificly Faerun) is the centrepoint of attention, the rest is not-that-detailed fluff. In Planescape, Sigil and the Planes are the centrepoint of attention, while there's only casual mention of the other settings as possible worlds to go to.
    AntonSCARY_WIZARD
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Qysar Amahl Shoon VII.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Illustair said:

By the way, how come the last few posts from this thread seem messed up with bullets? The text area for new comments is misaligned also. Is it the same there?

Fixed your spoiler tag. :)

• rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    edited February 2013
    D&D Primes--Toril (Forgotten Realms), Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Krynn, Eberron, Mystara, Earth (our planet)
    the Outer Planes (Hell, the Abyss, Pandemonium, Mount Celestia, etc.)...plz see attached pic...each of the Outer Planes reflects a D&D alignment (Abyss=CE, Mount Celestia=LG, The Nine Hells (Baator)=LE)
    the Inner Planes (the 4 Elemental Planes & their admixtures), i believe the Negative & Positive Material Planes are considered part of the Inner Planes
    what i will call the 'between planes' -- Ethereal & Astral
    Sigil sits atop The Spire on the Outlands (also called the Plane of Concordant Opposition in earlier books), the Outlands sits in the center of the Great Wheel
    there are also many pocket planes...Ravenloft is a good example of this...it is technically part of the Ethereal Plane, but separate from it in many ways

one of my biggest 4th ed. gripes was the changing of this cosmology...Sigil is now a pocket plane & the Great Ring no longer exists...nor do the Upper & Lower Planes exist as they did before...

several of the monsters listed earlier as being from the FR setting are from the Outer Planes -- Pit Fiends, Balors, & Succubi are native to the Lower Planes & Archons are native to Mount Celestia

• rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    as far as the Lady of Pain goes...remember the Rule of Threes?
    in one of the last paper Dragon Magazines, Monte Cook said that at the time Law & Chaos fought it out, you had a primordial LG being called Jazirian (sp?)
    & a LE being called Asmodeus (who now rules the 9 Hells...or did as of D&D 3.5)
    the Rule of Threes says there has to be a LN primordial being, as well
    Mr. Cook followed that up by saying he wasn't officially saying the Lady of Pain was the 3rd being, he was just saying...
    CrevsDaak