Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited February 2013
    How about placing the Archaic GUI logo to the upper left corner for instance? I think this would balance out nicely with the game version display. The "The Black Pits" button could then be placed above the "Quit Game" button and would also allow you to add the "Tutorial" button right below the Overhaul Games logo.
    Archaic
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    Yes, thanks.

The tutorial might be irrelevant for us but new players deserve your GUI too.
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited February 2013
    @Excalibur_2102 - Someone here in this thread supplied it. Its wizards of the coast art...

Not looking to move to Canada anytime soon.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited February 2013
    Is it possibile to add this border from main menu (the one with "Enhanced Edition" writting), to the skull from start screen? Would looks more complete. Baldur's Gate written above can also remain.
    http://www.gamer.ru/system/attached_images/images/000/559/427/original/candlekeep.jpg?1344942385 (or http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120601093124/forgottenrealms/images/7/7c/Candlekeep_artwork.jpg) - my choice for Start Screen background. Seems like the only one official. The skull with border could be at the right side to not cover library.
    edited February 2013
    @Etamin - The reason I only have the bhaal skull on the start screen is for a minimal clean look to feature the custom background options. I don't wish to add anything else to the start screen. This would only make it look cluttered and take away from viewable area on the background.

The candlekeep bg you suggested will be a start screen option for BETA 6. I'm not going to move around the UI element for each start screen background - that is simply way too much to ask. Thanks for the feedback.
    edited February 2013
    n/a
    Post edited by Archaic on
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    Dunno, you can make the credits button as big as you want, make it cover 75% of the screen, still not many people will push it.

Usually the people who watch the credits don't do it because they see a big button to do it, they do it because they want to, and for those people a smaller button shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Just my opinion.
    SchopenhauerArchaiclunar
    No worries - I've got new start screen design coming out that will remedy @Etamin and @Sylvus_Moonbow concerns.
    edited February 2013
    Archaic Start Screen Design Concept:
    The newly created universal menu may also be use for the main menu and options screen. I tried to find a balance with all of the feedback I got. This menu will allow for up to 6 buttons and will make for a better menu then the stock one I was touching up.
    RasekovAliard1806Erg
    Add the "Enhanced Edition" and "Baldur's gate" writting to the border and it will be perfect :).
    DerDuKe
    @Etamin - it will be added to the BG Main menu but I'm not sure about it being added to the start screen yet.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Archaic said:

Archaic Start Screen for BETA 6 (in-game screenshot)
    As before the bhaal skull is the BG button and the eyes light up red upon clicking.

I'm really impressed about this one!!
    The only problem is that you can't actually see the dragon's face :p
    geminibruniProdigy
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited February 2013
    Epic thread!
    The only thing, that is "bad" for me is Inventory screen.
    Don't get me wrong: they look awesome. But the item placement... After so many years of playing this game I just can't have differently placed icons...

This one looks awesome and I would love to use it, but the item icons are placed in different position than vanilla inventory screen:
    Archaic Custom Inventory - Naskel:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img832/7479/archaiccustominventoryn.jpg

Is it possible to make this inventory screen (Nashkel version) with item placement as in vanilla game?
    You know, Helmet above head of paper doll, boots under its feet etc.

As for the new startup screen - in my opinion it is the best one you've made!
    I would only make the borders smaller and add the "BG:EE" logo on top.

[EDIT]
    This one looks good:
    http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6045/enhancedinventory20scre.jpg

But its a little too dark (especially the place, where the paper doll is).
    ArchaicAnton
    edited February 2013
    @Kirkor - Welcome to the thread!

I'm in the process of a complete overhaul redesign for BETA 6. I will only be offering Archaic Custom Inventory at release. I may offer vanilla options at a later date if there is enough demand for it.

I would recommend trying out the new ACI for BETA 6 first and see if you like it better. I've also been playing BG since its first release many years ago and its refreshing to have a new design concept. Embrace change don't push it away. ;) If you still don't like it you can always uninstall the inventory screen while keeping the rest of the mod in place. Stop by more often and thanks for the feedback.
    Kirkor
    edited February 2013
    @SpaceInvader - Thanks. The start screen and main menu screens are going to change drastically and the background images will no longer be an issue. I will have more details and screenshots coming soon. I'm going to bring a much better BG fantasy d&d feel to the designs.
    SpaceInvaderMetallomanKirkor
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited February 2013
    @Archaic
    Well, I will stick with the "Enhanced Inventory Screen". It looks much better in the game than on screenshot. It's great!

I will make a feedback for your new Version:

Archaic Custom Inventory
    http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3703/inventoryredesign.jpg

It's ok I think. The only thing I would change is the "maximum capacity" numbers.
    Now its 107-220.
    I would make it look 107/220.

Mage book and priest scroll:
    http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/9315/magebookbeta6.jpg
    - There is too much background stuff on pages of those books. They interfere with usable icons and stuff. Make it less visible. At the same time make the text "Known" and "Memorized" slightly MORE visible.
    - Optional: It would look awesome if each spell level page had different background runes/sketches (I'm talking about that thing above memorized spells). The higher level spells, the more awesome drawing/picture.

BG Main Menu:
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9350/bgmainmenubeta6.jpg
    - I would add some color to BG:EE logo (maybe golden glow?)

Options Screen
    http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9356/archaicoptionsscreenbet.jpg
    - I would add some color to BG:EE logo.

The rest of the stuff looks very good and I wouldn't change much.
    This is ofcourse only my opinion and feedback (and I have bad taste in colors etc. :D )

Cheers!
    ArchaicSchopenhauerAnton
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Archaic said:

As before the bhaal skull is the BG button and the eyes light up red upon clicking.

My first thought looking at that screenshot was "where's the default new game button"? That you yourself feel the need to explain what it does should be a good indication that this is not an intuitive design. It's certainly a nice reference to the autostart prompt of BG2, but that had a "start" button to complement the large central text-less button.

Also it's a bit strange that the GUI elements mask the dragon's face, basically the most important element of that background picture.

Otherwise it looks fantastic IMO :)

Anton
    edited February 2013
    @Zeckul - I can understand your perspective when you're unable to interact with the UI/button yourself hence the reason I felt the need to explain its function. I will look into an alternate way to emphasis the buttons function via a label or something similar to make it more clear. Earlier screenshots of the button did include text but I'm still in the early stages of the design process. The backgrounds are not going to be an issue in the next design. Thanks for the feedback!
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Kirkor said:

Mage book and priest scroll:
    http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/9315/magebookbeta6.jpg
    - There is too much background stuff on pages of those books. They interfere with usable icons and stuff. Make it less visible. At the same time make the text "Known" and "Memorized" slightly MORE visible.

Same thoughts
    Zeckul said:

My first thought looking at that screenshot was "where's the default new game button"? That you yourself feel the need to explain what it does should be a good indication that this is not an intuitive design.

+1

Keep up the good work!
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    That's truly formidable, I'm speechless.
    Archaicgeminibruni
  • jdemastjdemast Member Posts: 35
    I love that design, you've truly outdone yourself with the amount of work put into this project
    ArchaicMetalloman
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Just wow.
    Archaic
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Awesome stuff!

My only concern is that, at least for me, the tutorial button looks as if it is only related to Baldur's Gate and the credits button is related to Black Pits. But maybe that is just me.
    AntonSpaceInvader
  • Aliard1806Aliard1806 Member Posts: 144
    Omg you are simply the best!!!
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    Archaic said:

Archaic Start Screen for BETA 6 (in-game):
    This is going to be the start screen and the previous screenshot will be the BG main menu. Both eyes light up red upon clicking. I'm working on the BG main menu and I'll have updated screenshots soon.

@archaic. I simply can't wait to run that on my iPad. Just... Wow.

Archaiclunar
    edited February 2013
    I have to learn to not drink or eat anything while browsing this topic...

1342391856cereal guy cereal guy spitting l
    ArchaicRasekovMetalloman
This discussion has been closed.