Skip to content

ETA?

Comments

• FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @Phyrax Do you have a firewall?

Look at it this way: You'll still be waiting, one way or the other ;)
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @FuzzyPuffin: hmmm, not at home, but I am currently at work (since they have way faster internet). That could be it! I'll try it when I get home.

Waiting one way or another: true, though I suspect waiting would feel different when the files are sitting on my computer...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    @FuzzyPuffin You're right, there were no preference files to delete. I've copied the crash details to beamdog support. This is why I'm glad there's a little while before it's actually playable; I'd be raging if it wasn't working and I *could* be playing it right now :)

@Phyrax Yeah, I will almost gurantee that is your problem. I'm pretty sure the installer uses P2P which your work likely blocks.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @Jairyanna - can you pm me the crash report?
    @Cerevant Sure, one sec...
    Did you drag the BGEE folder icon in the .dmg to the Applications folder?
    Are you using a non-english system language?
    Does your username or password contain extended characters?
  • KratosKratos Member Posts: 13
    Scooter said:

Btw, who guessed 22nd of February? Yeah that's right, I did, boo-ya!!

You win. In fact as the game is finally being released we ALL win! :)
    edited February 2013
    Cerevant said:

Did you drag the BGEE folder icon in the .dmg to the Applications folder?
    Are you using a non-english system language?
    Does your username or password contain extended characters?

Yes
    No
    Just letters and numbers. But when trying to install, it never asked for a username/password, it just crashed immediately after clicking on it.

EDIT:
    Ohhh, wait a minute - I'm such an idiot. I put the *whole* folder I downloaded into Applications, but didn't drag the specific BG:EE folder over to Applications in the little pop up screen. I've got it now. Everyone point and laugh at the stupid person :P
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @Jairyanna: When I first got my mac I got really confused over the whole 'drag in pop-up box' thing, so don't worry too much ;)
    I did wonder what the weird, brown, arrow-like thing was between the BG:EE folder and the Applications folder. Duuuuuuh -_-
    Yeah, you'd think a big arrow would be enough of a clue, but apparent it isn't! XD
    Indeed! It was obviously too blatant a clue for the subtle, nuanced workings of my mind... :P
    Well, regardless of how we got here, it is a definite usability problem - even if it isn't installed properly, it shouldn't just crash.

@jairyanna - can you clarify what you were doing? Dragging the dmg to the Applications folder? I'll submit a bug report on this so it can be handled more gracefully in the future.
    Sorry for the confusion, I think it's definitely 100% my error rather than anything to do with the files. All I did was click the link in the email which downloaded the .dmg, moved *that* file into Applications and opened it, then clicked on the BG:EE folder in the pop-up without moving it to the right into the Applications folder there. Then it would crash because it said it couldn't be opened from that location or something, I can't remember exactly what it said.

My bad, folks. I'll try to be more observant in future! *slinks into corner to the sound of slow hand claps*
  • BenNBenN Member Posts: 27
    Hooray!

Preloading now; more money for the dev peeps, less money for Apple; they have enough $$$ anyway.

The question for me is, can I finish the game on my iPad mini before the 22nd? Or should I wait, and start afresh with a new game?

Oooooh the dilemma! (one which is very nice to have indeed, BTW.)
    Again, no worries @Jairyanna - I was able to reproduce this on my end, and it just crashes. I've requested it pop up a useful message like "This application cannot be run from the disk image. To install it, drag..."

Crashing is never the right thing to do :)
    They are actually updated manuals, although the intro is from the original.
    BenN said:

Hooray!
    The question for me is, can I finish the game on my iPad mini before the 22nd? Or should I wait, and start afresh with a new game?

Finish your iPad game, and then start anew on the Mac with a new character with a different [redacted]

Or, you know, just transfer the save over if you're not done yet and carry on?
    To be fair, @jairyanna, this is really Apple's problem. The whole system of distributing software through .dmgs is terrible, user-unfriendly, and confusing. Unfortunately, I think they think they've "solved" this with the App Store.
  • SvendrynSvendryn Member Posts: 10
    Phyrax said:

@comatory: I tried deleting it with AppCleaner, it deleted the .plist file, to no avail! I still won't download.

I will have to wait until the Canadians get up and read my e-mail...

I was having this problem too. Is it possible that it will not download until the 22nd, since the file says that its the "game launcher". If not I am still confused, what would be the best way to remedy this problem?
    @svendryn the game should preload now. Do you have a firewall?
    @FuzzyPuffin How would I go about determining this?
    @FuzzyPuffin Thank you already for trying to help me through my fumbling.
    @svendryn what's your Internet? If you're at work or school they might block P2P traffic.