Skip to content

Internal mod manager

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
For years Weidu has been an invaluable tool in modding... Actually I don`t think the modding scene would have been so sophisticated or even exist without it.

But now that EE is coming out isn`t it time for an internal tool to manage mods in general? Something less intimidating for a newbie?

If anyone thinks Weidu mods are simple to install, actually I do think they are quite simple, remember that there are those less technically minded who do not know how to use a command line tool. Visit the forums in Spellhold Studios or The Gibberlings Three and see for yourselves.

An internal mod manager should deal with all the file modifications and keep a list of installed mods as well as deal with automatic backup of critical files when installing or uninstalling a mod.

It should be completely GUI controlled with no command line required, maybe we could have an optional command line control.
Post edited by mlnevese on
Illustair

Comments

• AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    The problem is that with other games that have an internal manager, actual modules are like additional packages of stuff are loaded separately - this makes it easy to handle modding, all you need to do to resolve conflicts is change the load order. In IE games mods actually have to be appended to existing game files. Every time you make a change in your mod installs, if you want to handle it safely and securely, you have to uninstall and reinstall everything you've done from that point on (and in the case of certain modifications this still has the potential to break your game). Having a graphical GUI isn't going to make the process simpler.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2012
    I agree, but it would make it friendlier to the users. As I said I have no difficulty using Weidu, others would never install a mod because it requires the use of a command line.
    Dazzu
    Another reason for an internal mod manager would be IOs, Android and Mac releases. A mod maker would have to write the mod only once and be sure it would work on all versions of the game. No worries about a Mac version of Weidu and easy mod install on tablets.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    mlnevese said:

Another reason for an internal mod manager would be IOs, Android and Mac releases. A mod maker would have to write the mod only once and be sure it would work on all versions of the game. No worries about a Mac version of Weidu and easy mod install on tablets.

Is that how it works? My understanding is that occurs because these games have, once again, modular code. Not because of the existence of a mod manager itself.

edited December 2012
    Of course if the game had a modular design everything would be much simpler :)

My idea is that an internal mod manager would deal with all the work that Weidu currently does, such as appending/editing tlk files, editing/creating 2da files, copying files to override, etc.

If we do not have an internal tool, one will have to be developed for every platform.

I can`t really see mods being installed on iOS without an internal tool in the game or jailbreaking the device for direct filesystem access. To the other OS's, it would be a matter of developing a system specific weidu-like application.

All this could be simplified if the game had an internal tool to do all the changes the mod require.

Actually I have doubts if the IPad version would be able to modify itself, as I don`t know if an iOs application can receive permission to modify files of its own package. The existence of NPC in app purchase seens to tincate it`s possible though.

So what I'm proposing is a GUI-driven internal mod manager compatible with Weidu, to keep mod compatibility.
    Post edited by mlnevese on