Skip to content

Deity for my human Assassin (Female)

So I am rolling a chaotic evil assassin I am new to D&D in general I like developing a background for my character. I am having trouble picking a deity for my assassin.

I was thinking of lolth (not too sure since she is a drow patron but it seems others can worship her) I picked her because her portfolio she has evil, spiders (I like spiders), darkness, chaos and assassins (chaos and assassins is the main two I am looking at hence why I picked her).

Plus she is chaotic evil(same alignment as my character) I am posting this topic to run it by people who know a lot more about D&D since I am a newb.

Oh to get it to work in the framework of the baldur gate story she does not worship her outside of the gate it happens a long the way.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    An obvious choice for a human assassin would be Bhaal himself or Cyric.
  • shinrosshinros Member Posts: 8
    But bhaal is kinda of well dead isn't he? Plus cyric is kinda my enemy since I am a bhaal spawn no?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You can still worship a dead deity. You just won't get anything for it.

You might try Mask, or even Tymmora.
    Er mask is kinda dead I swear (not too sure) Plus tymmora won't fit because she is chaotic evil. One deity I forgot about was shar and she fits the bill for assassins.

How about her?
    Sry for the double post I mean my character is chaotic evil so Tymmora won't fit.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Mask is dead-ish now, but if memory serves he doesn't kick the bucket until several years after the BG saga, so he's a legit choice. Shar can work too.

Lloth is heavily drow-centric, and I can't imagine any non-drow worshipping her.
    Yeah I agree unless I was rolling an elf/half elf choosing lolth would not make much sense reading up on shar I think she will fit the bill for my character.
    Actually other races do worship lolth I found this line in the wiki.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Lolth

"Lolth was worshiped almost exclusively by drow, though other sentient races venerated the Lady of Spiders as well."
  • LilacorLilacor Member Posts: 8
    Beshaba, maybe?
    Lilacor if my character was a dude that would of been my first choice. XD

The reason why I picked lolth since she meshes well with my chaotic evil assassin her personality. Maybe I should just switch her race to a half elf/elf. *Shrug*
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    shinros said:

But bhaal is kinda of well dead isn't he? Plus cyric is kinda my enemy since I am a bhaal spawn no?

You don't discover you're a Bhaalspawn until about halfway through the first game, so you can definitely start out worshipping Cyric.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited February 2013
    You can pick Loth, but Drow where somewhat kill on sight material in 13xxDR. An other choise is
    Beshaba.

Her portfolio is Chaos, Evil, (bad)luck (in 2e) and her worshipers are assassins, gamblers, rogues, sadists.
    She is the enemy of Tymora, so you have 1 temple to clean in the city :P

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Beshaba
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Also, don't forget Talona, the lady of disease and poison, which may work well for an assassin.

Mask is also a perfectly viable alternative (the god of deception is dead? Uh-huh, suuuure, no true believer would be fooled). Beshaba, as mentioned is a good one and so is Cyric. A less subtle assassin might also venerate Talos for the destruction he promotes.

Lloth might be appropriate, but you do have to think of 'where did my character learn about this deity and why does she venerate it?'
    Lloth is pretty obscure to most of the surface world, it'd make more sense for your human assassin to go for a human deity since, unless she has a distinct fascination with Spiders (the only true relation with Lloth, since Cyric fills the Chaos and Murder aspects quite nicely).
  • I considered Talona but pain and suffering is not mutch assassin for me. I should go for the quick kill.

Cyric is a relative new deity, he ascended after ToT.

I considered Talona but pain and suffering is not mutch assassin for me. I should go for the quick kill.

Aren't you thinking of Loviatar, goddess of pain and torture?
  • you are right @Druger
  • ToffeeToffee Member Posts: 55
    Either Mask or Talona is a great choice. Cyric, Talos Bershaba & Lloth all have flavour that is a bit iffy for assasins. Madness, wanton destruction, 'luck' & drow centralism.

It's worth pointing however, that perhaps the most famous Lloth worshipper is a human. (But then the most famous drow character is...)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    mlnevese said:

Not Cyric or Mask(story-wise), because Cyric killed Bhaal using the avatar of Mask. Try Talona for her affinity to poison.

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Djimmy said:

mlnevese said:

Not Cyric or Mask(story-wise), because Cyric killed Bhaal using the avatar of Mask. Try Talona for her affinity to poison.

I don't see how that disqualifies Cyric. The PC isn't aware of his/her heritage until well into BG1, and even then, it's not like they're loyal to Bhaal.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    A true believer in Bhaal would surely say that his physical form may be dead but his essence still exists and might yet be reincarnated ... and as the BG storyline develops through the whole series, this turns out to be true. So Bhaal is still a natural choice for a professional murderer.

A true believer in Bhaal would surely say that his physical form may be dead but his essence still exists and might yet be reincarnated ... and as the BG storyline develops through the whole series, this turns out to be true. So Bhaal is still a natural choice for a professional murderer.

This takes 'believing in yourself' to a whole new level.
  • PhototoxinPhototoxin Member Posts: 23
    Sseth - poison and snakes? He's under Shar (darkness, underground and secrets)
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    Shar makes a lot of sense IMO. More so then lolth. Even my neutral good fighter thief offers a prayer to Shar before sneaking off into the night
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    "Shar be praised."
  • NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123
    Your PC will be best friends with Viconia ^^
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    edited February 2013

Sseth - poison and snakes? He's under Shar (darkness, underground and secrets)

Why would Sseth be under Shar, he is bound in the Abyss by Set as far as I know (although he does share many qualities with Shar). He is also the main deity of the Yuan-ti in Chult normally not worshipped by humans in Faerûn I think. Now if someone would make a Yuan-ti race mod, his one would definately my choice for a god. ^^

Set would be a valid option for a mulhorand character with his portfolios of The Desert, Destruction, Drought, Night, Rot, Snakes, Hate, Betrayal, Evil Magic, Ambition, Poison and Murder, but he is Lawful Evil.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i was thinking Talona too, as another poster has put
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    edited February 2013
    I dont know my gods that well, but from what I remember, Mask is the best god for any would be-thieves, assassins, and generally any stealthy classes in game. Mask also has abilities in Icewind Dale 2 that are mostly useful to thieves in general. He's not as sneaky as cyric, but is much more for your class in general. Just an idea.

If I was to pick a god other than Mask, I would choose cyric as he's responsible for a number of dead gods/godesses if I can recall.

Shar, Lolth, might sound nice but they are mostly useful for a certain race. If drizzt saw that your a human worshipping lolth and or shar, he's gonna look at you and say-"Where'd you come from".
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @DKnight -
    Shar is very much both a human/Faerunian and surface deity.
  • DrusycDrusyc Member Posts: 44
    Give her some history with a half-orc thief and have him/her die so that your assassin can worship Shargaas in his/her honour. :D