Skip to content

Override folder

lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
I use ifunbox for custom portraits/transferring save files. But I also want to do some extra mini customisations in the game. As I understand it, we need to create an override folder under Baldur.app folder first. But it is not permitted unless your device is jailbroken first.

This I don't understand, because I was able to create portraits folder under library, transfer custom portraits there, and transfer save files back and forth with my PC BG:EE version. So I can edit the files under library just fine. If I create an override folder under there it just does not work.

I want to be able to do the most basic modding like swapping a few edited monster and item files into override folder, is all. But I guess there is no way to do it without a jailbreak?

I wish game developers had an existing override folder we could dump files into, for our own modding purposes. Or we could create a working override folder ourselves within library folder and the game would detect it correctly. As it is, I think override folder HAS to be under the main application folder or it won't have any effect at all. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comments

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    I've been advocating a replacement for the simple "override" folder, which would work on iPad and other platforms, allowing you to move your saved games around freely:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15937/single-file-mod-format-benefits-ipad-android-and-everyone-else
    lunar
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Interesting read, though I am a total newbie when it comes to actual modding scripts and executables and such. I am still unable to create an override folder on an Ipad without jailbreaking, it seems.
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    @lunar. Until Beamdog implement an iTunes accessible override folder and a built-in mechanism to install mods jailbreaking is your only option to play modded BGEE on the iPad. That being said, you are free to get the PC version and mod it without any concerns coming to pass on your iPad.
    @mars0124 I see. Thanks. Any idea if Beamdog will actually implement those ideas? That would be neat to be able to use iTunes for mods. Although, I hate that program, it is very whimsical, very randomly decides to work and sometimes not to work, maybe that's just mine. -.-'

I have BG:EE PC version ofcourse, and a fully moded mega-game installation that has been further customised by me, I've edited nearly every major enemy/store/spell/item to my tastes, heh. Just playing vanilla BG on Ipad is great, but it sure lacks that 'personal touch' from my heavily modded game. Oh well...can't have everything :-)
    @mars0124 Unfortunately that will break save-game sharing. You won't be able to start a game on your (modded) PC or Mac and transfer it over to your tablet.
    @nifft then if its a concern don't jailbreak and don't mod. Things will work as designed.

If you want to start modding, then jailbreak and install the same mods on the iPad and you will have no issues with save sharing.
    "Jailbreak", ah, therein lies the rub.
    mars0124
    mars0124 said:

@lunar. Until Beamdog implement an iTunes accessible override folder and a built-in mechanism to install mods jailbreaking is your only option to play modded BGEE on the iPad. That being said, you are free to get the PC version and mod it without any concerns coming to pass on your iPad.

I mentioned the jailbreak already :P

And you're absolutely right. People are going to have to pick their poison one way or another. Mine was the jailbreak :D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    I wonder how far down the priority list the override folder for iPad is. I am fine with jailbreaking, but some people may not be. And there are 2 things to consider:
    a) the patch cycle for iPad can be slower due to the app store review process. Recent patches have managed to break something. On a PC version there are hotfixes (mods) that can help until the next patch, but this doesn't work for the iPad
    b) the jailbreak just works for the current OS version/current hardware. If an updated OS or new hardware models are released, it may not work.

So based on this, I'm wondering if it seems reasonable that we request the non-jailbreak override folder be implemented before October (when Apple may release something new)?
    mars0124lunar
  • InvalidInvalid Member Posts: 10
    'Custom Portraits' should also be enabled after buying the custom portraits. Consider the total money spent is the same after buying all in-apps contents. I do not see a point that why ipad users cannot use this function. Not to mention the longer wait time for the patch. Thus, I would appreciate if there is discount to whom also bought Ipad version.
    There absolutely should be the enabling of an override folder.

The issue still comes down to WeiDU though. If we can't run a WeiDU to install override mods AND patch dialog.tlk then the really great mods won't be available to us.

But still, at least giving us override is better than nothing...
    lunar
    Yes that's what I was talking about :-) I would love to see an unjailbreak override folder that works.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    FWIW, I can see why the devs would not want to make a no-jailbreak override folder: it would make bypassing the DRM on the DLC trivially easy. So I wouldn't expect this situation to change any time soon...

Nifft said:

"Jailbreak", ah, therein lies the rub.

Ya. But to be fair, the new 6.1 Evasi0n jailbreak is dead simple. I never jailbroke anything until now, and it went great. Now, this weekend, to get into some BG mods!
    I hear ya... it's just that I don't really need anything else that a Jailbreak would give me, so it would be just for this one game, and that's just not worth it to me.

A cleaner mod system will benefit all platforms, so I'd rather keep on the developers to do that.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    iOS 6.1.3 fixes the exploit Evasi0n uses, so anyone who needs the Jailbreak should avoid updating when it's out.