Skip to content

Custom portraits?

Is it possible to use custom portraits with the Mac version of BG:EE?

Comments

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    I do. ;-)

You should have a Portraits folder in your folder "Documents"/"Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition".

Put portraits in there, and you ought to get a "Custom" button during portrait selection.
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    I don't see a portraits folder in there, just a "Temp" folder with "default.toh" and "default.tot" in it. Am I missing something?
    GrabtharsHammer
    Okay, got past that problem by custom making my own Portraits folder. But Mac apparently doesn't allow the file extension .bmp so what would we use instead?
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @parrow13x It allows .bmp...
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    As a related question, where do we create the override folder to overwrite the existing portraits?
    Jairyanna
  • istaraistara Member Posts: 9
    Great - I didn't have that folder but I created it.

I can now see the portraits and select them, however the "Import" button remains greyed out. (They're also the right format etc, I even downloaded some sample files from here that worked for other people).
    You're right, that was my mistake. But even after changing them to .bmp they just show up as the default silhouette with a question mark in-game...
  • istaraistara Member Posts: 9
    Ignore this - turned out I just had to press "Done" not Import.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289

As a related question, where do we create the override folder to overwrite the existing portraits?

The override folder is kind of hidden.

Right-click on the app (not the launcher) and select show package contents. You'll see the override folder there. The app is located in Applications/BGEE/Game Data 0774/.
    JairyannaEudaemoniumCrevsDaak
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

The override folder is kind of hidden.

Right-click on the app (not the launcher) and select show package contents. You'll see the override folder there. The app is located in Applications/BGEE/Game Data 0774/.

Mine is actually in:
    /Applications/BGEE/Game Data/00777/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app

Once you've opened the .app by right-clicking and "Show Package Contents", go to "Contents/Resources", and that folder has the "override" directory.
    edited February 2013
    I'm trying to use this picture as my portrait:

http://sirick-j-griffardo.deviantart.com/art/Baldurs-Gate-Shadows-of-Arm-Character-Portrait-316231977

I adjusted the sizes to 210x310, 169x266, and 54x84 and then I saved them each as .bmp files. But whenever I try to import them in-game no image shows up. How would you folks get around this problem?
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    My problem is that, although I can see the portraits in the custom folder in-game, I can't actually select them: the 'Done' button remains blacked out. Any ideas on how to fix that?
  • AlinaAlina Member Posts: 8
    When I open the override folder, all I get is a 'placeholder.tmp' file, also there is no 'Custom' tab shows up in the game... is there something I'm missing?
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    @Jairyanna, are you selecting both medium and small portraits? you must select them both to continue.

Also, I'm having issues with my portrait displaying properly. Rather than seeing the portrait as I should, i am seeing a silhouette with a question mark. Why is this? My portraits are the proper size and in .bmp format.
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    edited February 2013
    revaar said:

@Jairyanna, are you selecting both medium and small portraits? you must select them both to continue.

It won't let me select the two sizes at the same time, it just switches between them :/

EDIT: Ahhhh, never mind, I managed. My lack of observation skills strikes again :P
    Post edited by Jairyanna on
  • ViccoVicco Member Posts: 12
    HI guys! Tried the attached portraits in the override folder to replace the Imoen portraits in the game. They don't show up. It's still the default pictures. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or not doing? TIA
  • dradamdradam Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2013

I'm trying to use this picture as my portrait:

http://sirick-j-griffardo.deviantart.com/art/Baldurs-Gate-Shadows-of-Arm-Character-Portrait-316231977

I adjusted the sizes to 210x310, 169x266, and 54x84 and then I saved them each as .bmp files. But whenever I try to import them in-game no image shows up. How would you folks get around this problem?

I'm having a similar problem, I can get other portraits from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gsn24bgwwu0gyqw/bV-5phrjwu working, but when I try to resize and convert an Image I find using this site: http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-bmp I just get an all black portrait. No silhouette or question mark. I've also made sure the file name was below 8 characters, but still no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I've also just realized that if I make a new character using the portraits I made, the game crashes after the introduction, the same crash happens when I change an existing character's portrait to the new one and then attempt to save the game. If I change it, I can play, even quit the game with no issues, but saving a character using the wonky self made portrait crashes the game, whether it be auto, quick or normal saving. Again, any guidance would be much appreciated.
    Marq
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @dradam Be sure not to convert it to 32bits. The portrait must be 24 bits.
    @Vicco: The issue is that the pictures are labelled as her BG2 portraits (NIMOEN). Take the N off the beginning and they should work (simply ImoenL, ImoenM and ImoenS).
    @ Eudaemonium: Thanks! I can see the new portraits!
    Eudaemonium
  • AlinaAlina Member Posts: 8
    I'm still having issues with mine, it's not showing up at all.
    Here's my experience so far with custom-made picture files (bmp files).

If you want your character to use custom-made picture files, save those pictures in the portraits folder.

If you want to replace the pictures of one of the NPCs in the game (like I did with Imoen), save the picture file in the override folder mentioned by the others in this thread. These pictures must also be named exactly as the picture files they are replacing. I don't know how all the NPCs are named. @Eudemonium helped me with Imoen.

I also made sure all the files I am using are 24-bit bmp files. Maybe it was the program I was using, but I couldn't get some of the bmp files I created using a Mac photo editor to work. Some of these files ended up as greyed-out portraits with a question mark. I ended up making the pictures using Paint in a Windows computer. The pictures I made in Windows all were recognized by BGEE.

Hope this is of help. Happy adventuring!
    Zirus_BlackheartJuliusBorisov
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    edited February 2013
    Here is a handy site that lists the NPC portrait file names:
    http://portraits.chosenofmystra.net/npc_portrait_change.html

However, the new ones for Neera, Dorn, and Rasaad are missing. Anyone have a clue what those would be named?

EDIT: I just learned the missing ones from another poster (TY Jalily!) I have not tested any of these but they probably should work.

Neera -> NEERAL, NEERAM, NEERAS
    Dorn -> DORNL, DORNM, DORNS
    Rasaad -> RASAADL, RASAADM, RASAADS

So just add these to the list from the link! (And obviously all of them need a L, M, and S version, as well.)

Cheers!
    Post edited by secretmantra on
    Most of the filenames are just the characters' names. There are a few that aren't, which I can only assume are the result of slight name changes during original development (Montaro(n), and Sharte(e)l, for example).
    [Deleted User]
  • dradamdradam Member Posts: 9
    @minevese Thanks, I'll try that. Hope it works!
    mlneveseEudaemonium
    What was the issue? I sometimes have the portraits screw up, and it usually signals something going horribly wrong somewhere (followed by a crash).
    [Deleted User]
    I had an issue where I converted some JPGs to BMPs using the Mac's default Preview program and it didn't convert them properly. Wonder if it was something similar. I just got pure-black portraits, though, rather than the question mark. I've only seen the latter once with Neera when she glitched out and crashed my game.
    [Deleted User]
  • LaceLace Member Posts: 74

I had an issue where I converted some JPGs to BMPs using the Mac's default Preview program and it didn't convert them properly. Wonder if it was something similar. I just got pure-black portraits, though, rather than the question mark. I've only seen the latter once with Neera when she glitched out and crashed my game.

I had the same problem too. I had to save them using a different program -- gimp -- before I could see them properly.
  • FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    apparently i'm not the sharpest tool in the tool box, can anyone post a pic of what this should look like in mac os x? I'm trying to use these portraits, http://artastrophe.deviantart.com/art/BG-Portrait-Package-145216289 but i can't find the spot to put them. I tried following instructions, but I must be doing it wrong cause i cant swap out pics at all.

To overwrite original portraits:

Go to Applications > Baldur's Gate > Game Data > 00777. Then right-click on Baldur's Gate and go to 'Show package Contents'. Then > Content > Resources and the override folder should be there.

Otherwise (to add portraits for the 'custom' button), do to Documents > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Create a 'Portraits' folder (I think) and put them there.

This should work.