Skip to content

Easiest Way to Lower Rep

I need to lower my rep to 17 from 20, I think, in order to re-group with Dorn and finish his quest. What is the easiest way to do this without taking a major hit? Thanks.

Comments

• Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    Hit a peasant.
  • DelDel Member Posts: 44
    Fist fight?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Get caught in a movie theater in the same way that Pewee Herman did?
    IkMarcTJ_HookerDragonfolk2000
    Actually, that doesn't do it. And I'd rather not murder some innocent! Any other way?
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Drown some slaves in a certain mine?
    TJ_Hooker
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Get caught stealing. Deliberately open a locked container that belongs to someone (e.g. a chest in someone's home) while someone is watching. They'll call the guards. When the guards arrive and confront you, I believe any conversation option you choose will result in -1 (or maybe -2) to reputation. I believe this works in any city/town execept Nashkel.
    MadhaxIkMarc
    It doesn't work at The Friendly Arms. The Flaming Fist attacks no matter what. No loss of rep unless I kill him. I suppose I can try Beregost area.
    No, doesn't work either. I can bribe the guard but no rep loss. Hmm.
    Really? Weird, I just tried it out in Beregost and it worked for me, with any of the conversation options with the Flaming Fist Enforcer. I think you need to have a minimum reputation for this to work (something like 10+), otherwise simply being confronted will not result in reputation loss.

I should maybe have mentioned that having the guards attack you is expected, but you can just run away if you don't want the further rep loss from killing them.

I'm attaching a screenshot of what happened for me, and for completeness' sake will attach another shot showing the exact building I was in when in happened.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited February 2013
    Dorn's breaking point should be 19, not 18. So just pick up Viconia, that will lower your reputation by 2 points down to 18, while she's in the party.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    At the area southeast of nashkel there's a quest where you need to protect a dying man from a flaming fist soldier. By choosing the right dialogue options the soldier says "Then I'll take him by force" and attacks you. You can kill him "for self defense" , but it still costs a 7 reputation penalty.

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    In the Helm and Cloak there is a noble woman who you can demand money from lowering your rep by 2

There is also the new quest in Beregost that allegedly can lower your rep if you choose the right dialog options.

You can also lower it to 10 by killing some innocent then go to a temple and buy back the 7 rep points. IMO, that is the easiest way.
    TJ_Hooker
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I always blackmail the noblewoman, never lowered my rep. Which makes sense; I blackmail her with the knowledge that she hired me to murder someone. She wouldn't tell anyone about it. Was that changed in the patch?

The new/fixed Beregost quest only lowers rep by 1, so that's not enough to get Dorn back. Recruiting Viconia only works if you keep her in the party, then kick someone else to recruit Dorn, then kick Viconia to get back whoever you kicked out. She (and Dorn and Baeloth) lower rep, but you also get it back as soon as you remove them.
    I agree it's much easier to kill a commoner somewhere and then buy some points back from a temple.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited February 2013
    @KidCarnival You lose the rep each time you pick up your payment, not when you initially blackmail her.

@TJ_Hooker Reputation loss is -1 for stealing when you have 9+ rep.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Wait, I have to return to talk to her to get paid? I thought it's automatic, kinda like the strongholds in BG2. That would explain so much...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I keep seeing people saying removing Dorn from party will give back the reputation you lose from hiring him, just like Viconia. Alas, I have never seen this happen. Is there a condition to this? Like you have to fire him in a town, it only works on subsequent firings, only if you've done his quest...?
    TJ_Hooker
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Charm a Nashkel guard away from sight, murder him, enjoy your new helmet.
    I used the Viconia trick and it worked well. She lowered my rep by 2, which allowed me to get Dorn. I had to keep her to finish Dorn's quest-line though because rep goes back up when she's removed. At least switching her out for Dorn didn't work. Thanks for all the feedback!
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    Del said:

Actually, that doesn't do it. And I'd rather not murder some innocent! Any other way?

No one will miss ONE peasant. Peasants matter as much as four out of the five Jacksons.

I keep seeing people saying removing Dorn from party will give back the reputation you lose from hiring him, just like Viconia. Alas, I have never seen this happen. Is there a condition to this? Like you have to fire him in a town, it only works on subsequent firings, only if you've done his quest...?

Yeah, from what I remember the only reputation adjustment with Dorn is a -2 when you first pick him up. Beside that I don't think firing or recruiting him affects reputation.
    Del said:

One way to consider it is that your party are all individuals. That means that it is perfectly reasonable and in character for Montaron to go off and knife some random peasant in an alley for his coin purse. This can even be done without the rest of the party ever finding out, and would quite probably happen quite a lot with some of the characters in the group like Xzar, Montaron, Edwin, Tiax, etc... it is in their nature to 'murder some innocent!' even if it isn't in the nature of Charname or the rest of the party.

Quite frankly, if you are having to lower reputation 'Because' of one of these guys, I'd think it is perfectly reasonable for one or more of them to go off and satisfy some baser instinct.

Just my two cents.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Kill Noober.
    the_spyderTJ_Hooker
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Charm an unimportant NPC. Then take them to the corner of the map. Give him a spade and ask him to dig. Explain that due to being too nice, people in your party will want to leave unless a sacrifice is made. Once hole is big enough, wack peasant with spade and cover with dirt. Your team will then be happy to continue. The charitable sort could visit a temple... But why bother...
    FafnirSilverstarlolien
    Iecerint said:

Kill Noober.

Unfortunately it doesn't effect rep. :(
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Anduin said:

Charm an unimportant NPC. Then take them to the corner of the map. Give him a spade and ask him to dig. Explain that due to being too nice, people in your party will want to leave unless a sacrifice is made. Once hole is big enough, wack peasant with spade and cover with dirt. Your team will then be happy to continue. The charitable sort could visit a temple... But why bother...

Visiting a temple would only lead to more death down the line. Better to avoid contributions in order to avoid more....sacrifices.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Too bad you can't just donate to the thieves guild to get them to spread rumors about you to lower your rep...wasn't there a mod like this?
    the_spyderSophiaKidCarnivalDJKajuru
    I really like that suggestion about the Thieve's guild.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Wanderon - there was a mod where you could pay bards to spread such truths about CHARNAME.

I'm ok with reputation breaks for all NPC's save one. Viconia is in mortal danger if on her own, and knows it. I would think that would be enough for her to suffer goody-two-shoes-ness, if only for the sake of her best interests.
    @reedmilfam, I suspect that they didn't want Viccy to be Charname's indentured servant. Besides, if things get too bad, she may decide that being on her own is no greater risk than being with a bunch of 'Goodie, Goodies' for one more minute.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

@Wanderon - there was a mod where you could pay bards to spread such truths about CHARNAME.

I'm ok with reputation breaks for all NPC's save one. Viconia is in mortal danger if on her own, and knows it. I would think that would be enough for her to suffer goody-two-shoes-ness, if only for the sake of her best interests.

I'm ok with the rep breaks too I certainly wouldn't want them removed in fact I would prefer it if NPCs were even a little more independent than they are altho I'd rather see that in new NPCs and/or BG:Next than see wholesale changes to the original companions I think.

KidCarnival