Skip to content

HowTo - Modding BG:EE on the iPad

Comments

• mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2013
    @lunar and anyone else who is interested I have updated the iPad modding methods to include a script that I wrote. Once it has the right password you just run a file and it does the rest. Its been tested on my two machines but I welcome other results (positive or otherwise) and questions.
    lunar
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    lunar said:

@Wowo

You make it look like so easy :-) and I am so afraid to even try!

How long did it take to jailbreak? Does the mod SCS work on Ipad? I am interested in AI upgrades, like mages and stuff. Are they modded correctly?

There is no method of creating an override folder for simple 'mod'ding like overwriting some Creature files, without JailBreaking? I try to create an override folder under Baldur.app via IfunBox, but it fails. I guess that is the reason Jailbreaking is neccesary beforehand?

I wish game designers had an already existing override folder, and made it so we can dump files in it via IfunBox without trouble, so we can at least have a little bit of modding available. Nothing big like SCS does, but I would love to be able to change the stats of an enemy creature via SK and save it in override folder, to make it tougher in-game. I was able to dump portrait files into Portraits folder, afterall. Why not override?

I was surprised how simple it was, particularly jailbreaking. I remember jailbreaking back in the day, super scary stuff!
    lunar
  • nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    Fpr the BPSeries Party AI, it installs fine and the AI scripts are selectable. However, based on the script descriptions, you need to use the keyboard to configure the behavior. So you are stuck with the default settings. I found that this does not work well for characters I wanted to keep at range.
    nsr said:

Fpr the BPSeries Party AI, it installs fine and the AI scripts are selectable. However, based on the script descriptions, you need to use the keyboard to configure the behavior. So you are stuck with the default settings. I found that this does not work well for characters I wanted to keep at range.

Could someone with a Bluetooth keyboard test if it works with this mod? Or a USB keyboard+camera connector kit?
    I remember seeing a topic on bluetooth keyboards before:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8945/hotkeys-with-bluetooth-keyboard-on-ipad

So it seems like it won't work.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    @mars0124

Okay I understand the method of modding with ifunbox, it is the jailbreaking that is scary to me. Oh well, I still haven't finished an unmodded game run on BG:EE so I will first finish once unmodded. Then I will look into jailbreak stuff. By that time hopefully more mods will be available. Thank you!

@Wowo

Do SCS's mage-priest enchantments work on Ipad? Is there any lag? I remember it could be laggy on pc, so Ipad2 is even more limited in resources. I am curious. Do mage prebuffs/smart scripts work and is there lag or freezing?
    lunar said:

@mars0124

Okay I understand the method of modding with ifunbox, it is the jailbreaking that is scary to me. Oh well, I still haven't finished an unmodded game run on BG:EE so I will first finish once unmodded. Then I will look into jailbreak stuff. By that time hopefully more mods will be available. Thank you!

@Wowo

Do SCS's mage-priest enchantments work on Ipad? Is there any lag? I remember it could be laggy on pc, so Ipad2 is even more limited in resources. I am curious. Do mage prebuffs/smart scripts work and is there lag or freezing?

No issues so far though I've only battled Tarnesh, Bassilus (who flamestriked someone to death!) and Miss "I know it may be a touch unladylike but I'm going to slit your throat I am!". Everything seems to be working as expected.

I'm trying the scripted method but it doesn't seem to work. I'm getting:

C:\Documents and Settings\Wowo\Desktop\BG\BGEE_iPad_Mod_Installer>set password=*********

C:\Documents and Settings\Wowo\Desktop\BG\BGEE_iPad_Mod_Installer>ECHO OFF
    BG:EE directory is not known. Checking...
    sh: line 18: /var/mobile/Documents/bgdir: Permission denied
    unable to identify /var/mobile/Documents/bgdir: no such file or directory
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    mobile@localhost's password:
    security violation: remote host attempted to write to a '.' or '..' path!
    The system cannot find the path specified.
    A subdirectory or file \Baldur's Gate.app\override already exists.
    cat: /var/mobile/Documents/bgdir: No such file or directory
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/mobile/Applications//Baldur\'s Gate.app/ove
    rride': No such file or directory
    find: /var/mobile/Applications//Baldur's Gate.app: No such file or directory
    rm: missing operand
    Try `rm --help' for more information.
    pscp: remote filespec /var/mobile/Applications//Baldur's Gate.app/override/: not
    a directory

\Baldur's Gate.App\dialog.tlk: No such file or directory

The process tried to write to a nonexistent pipe.

Process complete. Press any key to exit.

Not sure what I did wrong ...
    lunar
    Hmm, just fought Silke and got some significant lag presumably due to SCS. Sad days.
    Wowo said:

Hmm, just fought Silke and got some significant lag presumably due to SCS. Sad days.

Though just did the same fight with a different party and had no issues. Perhaps the running around and hitting transitions with my low level party (totally outmatched by silke realistically) took more resources?

edited February 2013
    @wowo I think I did something wrong with dialog.tlk :S. apparently I had not tested as thoroughly as I had thought :( will test & repost today. I'd misplaced a quote. It works for me again. Re-download and try again :)

Also I've noticed the slowdown as well. I'm going to try and make sure nothing is running with BG:EE and do a full reboot. Hopefully the slowdown won't always be there. Did you notice it in the loading screens as well?
    Post edited by mars0124 on
    mars0124 said:

@wowo I think I did something wrong with dialog.tlk :S. apparently I had not tested as thoroughly as I had thought :( will test & repost today. I'd misplaced a quote. It works for me again. Re-download and try again :)

Also I've noticed the slowdown as well. I'm going to try and make sure nothing is running with BG:EE and do a full reboot. Hopefully the slowdown won't always be there. Did you notice it in the loading screens as well?

It is certainly noticeable in certain situations but its playable. I've not got very far mind. I keep dying.

I really want to get the "choose NPC skills" script working ...
    procco
    Haven't had any luck with your script, just getting same/almost identical error output so going back to the ifunbox method to see if redoing it will fix the missing things.
    Oh........... Just did a reinstall and see "This isn't quite ready for BG:EE yet" in regards to: choosing skills, NPC separating and NPCs going to Inns.

Oh well! At least I know now.
    edited February 2013
    Wowo said:

Haven't had any luck with your script, just getting same/almost identical error output so going back to the ifunbox method to see if redoing it will fix the missing things.

Hmm, from what I can see the issue stems from this line: "sh: line 18: /var/mobile/Documents/bgdir: Permission denied" If you know your root password could you change BG.BAT so that all lines that read mobile@localhost then say root@localhost? You can do that with the Find/Replace feature in any word processor. The entire script relies on that one file existing.

Let me know what happens.
    Forget this. I wiped my iPad, reinstalled BG and Open-SSH and found the problem. While my iPad had /var/mobile/Documents not all would, I guess (could you check yours @Wowo?) I'm thinking its a folder that was created by iFile. So I've rewritten the script again and am testing out using my 'clean' iPad, and so far it seems good.

Will re-post the script tonight. And thanks @Wowo for working with me on this. It's hard to provide a tool that works without testers :)
    Post edited by mars0124 on
    mars0124 said:

Wowo said:

Hmm, from what I can see the issue stems from this line: "sh: line 18: /var/mobile/Documents/bgdir: Permission denied" If you know your root password could you change BG.BAT so that all lines that read mobile@localhost then say root@localhost? You can do that with the Find/Replace feature in any word processor. The entire script relies on that one file existing.

Let me know what happens.
    Forget this. I wiped my iPad, reinstalled BG and Open-SSH and found the problem. While my iPad had /var/mobile/Documents not all would, I guess (could you check yours @Wowo?) I'm thinking its a folder that was created by iFile. So I've rewritten the script again and am testing out using my 'clean' iPad, and so far it seems good.

Will re-post the script tonight. And thanks @Wowo for working with me on this. It's hard to provide a tool that works without testers :)
    I do have that directory, I guess it got created when I installed SAMBA.

Testing is fun, thanks for your hard work :)
    So the copy tof BG.app o/from the iPad has been fixed, but I'm missing something with dialog.tlk... Will revisit in the AM.
    edited February 2013
    @wowo, OK, I THINK this is officially v1.0. I uninstalled and reinstalled BG over a dozen times today and tested the script each time.

If you receive and error about 'rm', its normal - don't worry about that.

Download it, try it and let me know :)
    mars0124 said:

Download it, try it and let me know :)

Nah, I'll just leave you hanging.
    (Suspense builds up)
    mars0124 said:

(Suspense builds up)

I'll do it when I can but dad duties today.
    Another FYI for anyone using the BPSeries Party AI, it seems to cause some lag in my game. I'm not sure if this is general or specific to certain scripts.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    @nsr Some scripts are quite heavy, the Fighter/Mage/Thief and the Multiclass ones, for instance and could make even old PCs get slow. Try to use the more specialized scripts whenever possible.
    @nsr Likewise SCS can cause slowdowns at some points.
    Wowo said:

mars0124 said:

(Suspense builds up)

I'll do it when I can but dad duties today.
    I'll try the script when 2014 comes out.
    Just tried the script but got "permission denied" on the second line:

Verifying BG:EE iPad dir...
    sh: line 24: /var/mobile/Documents/bgdir: Permission denied

I logged into ssh via putty to confirm that I was using the right password and didn't have an issue.
    edited March 2013
    Does bgdir exist for you? What is its content? Does its content match the path to BG:EE on your iPad?
    mars0124 said:

Does bgdir exist for you? What is its content? Does its content match the path to BG:EE on your iPad?

In that directory I only have Samba folder (with 0 items in it). BG stuff is in Applications?
    Could you check iFunbox, right-click Baldurs Gate, select copy path, and paste that here?
    //Baldur's Gate.app

The above is all I get when I click copy path. Reading off myfile though it's /var/mobile/Applications/##########
    @mars0124 I gave the script a try but was unfortunately unable to get it working. Sorry. Hopefully someone else can make use of it.