Skip to content

Would you be interested to Buy NPC followers that didn’t make it or died in BG2 From BGEE Store Shop

The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
This got me thinking if you play BGEE you notice that in the game there is a store shop that you can or could buy future BGEE content. Like new portrait or new NPC followers.
Now the question is wouldn’t it be great if Overhoul Games used this feature in future BGEE2 to sell us NPC followers that never made it to BG2 from BG1 (or Died in BG2 in front of you Like Safana,Tiax and so on ) or didn’t make it Like Shar-Te, Ski, Alora and the rest

store shop future would help Overhoul to gain more money and used it to pay their own employers, hiring Voice actors and writers for the BG Followers who died (but now can be resurrected cause you bought that NPC follower in Store shop and now she or he has a story why she/he joins you) or those who didn’t make it to BG2 from BG1.

PS. This pool is not about Fanbased mods or Npc Followers that comes in pair in BG1 and dies storywise in BG2... Like Khalid, Dynaheir and so on...
  1. Would you be interested to Buy NPC followers that didn’t make it or died in BG2 From BGEE Store Shop61 votes
    1. Yes please, I would love to use the Store shop Feature to buy BG1 Followers that isn’t playable or dies in BG2. Plus I would love to support Overhoul
      29.51%
    2. No Thank, I want everything free from beginning. And I don’t like to buy expansions or have a long term support to Overhoul.
      70.49%
Post edited by The_Shairs_Handbook on

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    While I am not opposed to the general system of extra stuff for money, I think that for this particular example, it's just not a very good idea. These features you mentioned is what modders give us - and to turn that into a revenue stream just doesn't sit right with me. Plus, polish or not, this game is 15 years old. I'm fine buying a new version, but that's as far as it goes, really. The game was never designed with micro-transactions in mind, and tacking them on now would make a lot of people very mad.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Won't vote. I support Overhaul, but not if they want microtransactions. They've gotten my money twice (since I bought two copies) and they don't need to nickel and dime me for some followers. They're already giving us some new ones for free. Why would you want to pay for old ones? I know so that you can replay with your old team, but to pay for that?
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    Madhax said:

Why such specific options in your poll? I intend to buy DLC and definitely support Overhaul, but I have no interest in spending real money to get Branwen in BG2 or something.

the answer to that is simple... Maybe there wont be any Branwen in BG2 because they didn't have any time left before the Game release. This way they will add her( or the others later on).
    Plus most people don't use modders or dislike anything that doesn't come from Overhoul.
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    edited March 2013
    Wiggles said:

Won't vote. I support Overhaul, but not if they want microtransactions. They've gotten my money twice (since I bought two copies) and they don't need to nickel and dime me for some followers. They're already giving us some new ones for free. Why would you want to pay for old ones? I know so that you can replay with your old team, but to pay for that?

I do understand you what you mean (I also bought two BGEE one to me and one to my friend) but think also something new needs some money like writers for the npc followers. reusing vocie actors and pay them... all of this cost money and time. and in many cases Overhoul might not make it do all of this in time of the realese.
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    way to make an unbias poll...
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'm not opposed to the idea in general - supporting Beamdog and getting BG1 NPCs as DLC are both things I like. But I'm very selective about NPCs and how they would alter the story. For some, it simply makes no sense to resurrect them because other NPCs are already written to react to their death (Minsc and Aerie becoming his new witch; Edwin mocking Minsc, Khalid's death is in the Jaheira dialogues).

I see no harm in the option to recruit cameo NPCs after completing their quests, i.e. save/recruit Monty, Xzar, Garrick, Tiax, (which should be "free"), but some deaths are neccessary for the story. I wouldn't mind some NPCs that make no appearance at all as DLC, i.e. Shar-Teel, Branwen, Kivan, Coran, Alora, but I also think modders will cover that. Alora is already available for BG2, for example. Therefore, I don't think it's such a lucrative idea to make money for Beamdog.
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    shouldnt this just be a simple yes or no?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

Plus most people don't use modders or dislike anything that doesn't come from Overhoul.

Where did you get that information? The last big survey I saw had pretty even numbers for the options "Do you play BG with mods?" and the options "yes", "no", "sometimes". There is no "most" without a majority - if you count "sometimes" as "people who are not opposed to mods", that would be the majority.

I dare to say that more people dislike spending money than people disliking free, optional things. What "most" people dislike are badly written NPC mods, and it is very subjective what "bad writing" means.

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I can't pick either option. I will happily pay for content that fits with my style of play, but I will not spend any money on characters who I don't want in my party (I bought Neera, I will not buy Dorn). And I certainly would not pay for a character with a scripted tragedy ahead.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I would pay for companion DLC (assuming price is okay) and I would do so for companions that are currently not available in BG2 but could be; Branwen, Xan, Shar-teel etc that have no canon appearances. I would not pay for, or want them to make, companion DLC for the ones that spesifically are meant to die however. Nor would I pay for DLC -just- to support Overhaul, it has to be something I want to use.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    Quite leading questions, but I would pay to see a selection of bg npcs in bg 2 ee. Of course if it came as a mod I would download the mod and not pay the store
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    edited March 2013
    I want to support Overhaul but I do not want to pay more for things that we should already have. If I wanted a version of Baldur's Gate that used BG2 rules, new kits, and new NPCs I could just mod my copy that I got with the DVD version. I paid my 20 dollars believing that I would get a truly enhanced and updated version of the game. I feel that is what we were promised and so far, we are getting it without having to pay extra fees.

Edit: By the way, your poll sucks as the questions imply that I don't like to support developers. If that were the case, I would have pirated it.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Rhyme said:

Man, BG polls are the best. I'm thinking about posting this one:

"Should kensai be allowed to wear plate mail?
    -Yes, because the kit advantages don't really kick in until BG2, and they shouldn't have to suffer through BG1.
    -No, I am a pedophile!"

I don't want them to mess with any more of the BG1 characters. Plus, it's a mistake. At this point, people have romanticized some of the BG1 characters to such an extent that they would surely be angry at how they were written in BG2, if they were to be written into BG2 at this point.

and "is it true you've stopped beating your wife?"
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    The wording of this Poll was beyond pitiful
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Oh god why...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

The wording of this Poll was beyond pitiful

You're such a horrible person, not wanting to support Overhaul and wanting everything for free! :O
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396

You're such a horrible person, not wanting to support Overhaul and wanting everything for free! :O

I am not really evil but my CHARNAME was D20 rolled that way

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I want to be extremely respectful and sensitive when replying here, but it seems to me that the poll options are worded extremely biased. I would suggest that better responses might be had if the choices were available without bias.

For me, I don't have a problem paying extra for new content, thus 'Supporting Overhaul games'. I do have a huge problem with a strategy of micro-transactions designed to inflate the cost of the game to the consumer but presented in a manner that is deceptive and underhanded.

Put short, if Overhaul games is creating new content to add to the game, great. they should be paid for their efforts for those who actually want the extra content. But we already paid for the game as it stands and part of that cost is/was the continued updates we are getting, or at least that is the way it was portrayed at time of purchase.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    sweet poll, bro
  • revanbhrevanbh Member Posts: 38
    That's why mods exist. Modders have brought us some amazing characters, free of charge, and for someone to monetize the exact same type of work is just wrong
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190
    revanbh said:

That's why mods exist. Modders have brought us some amazing characters, free of charge, and for someone to monetize the exact same type of work is just wrong

Not really... The only reason you don't see modders charging money (some of them, anyway - not going to pretend that there wouldn't still be countless free ones) is because their works are third party. But Beamdog/Overhaul paid a bunch of money to acquire the rights to the game. They paid A LOT of money to be able to make these changes, and I don't think there's anything wrong with selling their work in the exact same manner that they sold BG:EE.

Just because your friend will make you a rum and coke at his house for free does not mean it's "wrong" for a bar to charge money for their booze.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    horrible Poll, you strengthen your point by making it sound beneficial to others and the developers and degrade the opposite opinion. Thankfully people saw through that and voted no. You can still support Overhaul without conforming to a horrible business plan I like to call 'EA'.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    I'd vote yes because Yeslick was always part of my party in BG1 and the most stand out annoyance was his disapearance in BG2 with no explanation.
    I don't count mods because - although some are well written - have no voice overs. It's asking Overhaul to take a chance though because if they hire the actor, then no-one buys the DLC...or they (Kickstarter like) generate the money before hiring the actor...then just provide to the fans who paid, or roll out to everyone?.
    Tuff one.