Skip to content

inXile to make Planescape: Torment spiritual successor on Kickstarter.

TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4NkADMQwzg

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter
Torment: Tides of Numenera Official Homepage

Torment: Tides of Numenera is a game set in the world of Monte Cook’s new tabletop RPG setting, Numenera. Torment continues the thematic legacy of Planescape: Torment, a critically acclaimed role-playing game from 1999 that's considered by many to be a hallmark for storytelling in computer RPGs. With Torment, we're striving to create a rich role-playing experience that explores similar deep, personal themes. Here's the scoop:
• Torment is a single-player, isometric role-playing game.
• You will play a single, specific character, though you will encounter optional NPC companions you may choose to include in your party.
• The story-driven game will have a rich dialogue system and approach similar to that of Planescape: Torment.
• The game will be developed in the Unity engine for PC (Windows), Mac, and Linux platforms.
• The game will be available in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish.
• The game will be distributed DRM-free. (You’ll be able to get it from Steam, and other DRM-free download options will be made available.)
How Is Torment: Tides of Numenera Similar to Planescape: Torment?

We're crafting Torment with the goal of creating a gameplay experience like that evoked by Planescape: Torment (or PS:T). We want Torment to challenge, reward, surprise, and entertain you in ways that PS:T did. To do that, we examined PS:T carefully, and took these four pillars as our foundation:
• A Deep, Thematically Satisfying Story. The philosophical underpinnings of Torment drive the game, both mechanically and narratively. Your words, choices, and actions will be your primary weapons.
• A World Unlike Any Other. The game has a fantastic, original setting, with awe-inspiring painterly visuals, imaginative locations, truly offbeat items, and massive feats of magic. In Numenera, however, "magic" is actually something surprisingly different.
• A Rich, Personal Narrative. The story is thoughtful and character-driven—epic in feel but a deeply personal narrative, with nontraditional characters and companions who have their own motivations and desires that drive them throughout the game.
• Reactivity, Choice, and Real Consequences. The game emphasizes replayability and reactivity, and your choices will make a real difference. You can play the game with a different approach and discover entirely new pathways. Most important, we won't tell you how to play. The best ending is the one you choose, flowing naturally from your actions throughout the game.
These pillars reach through all aspects of the game design, including characters and dialogue, the overarching story, gameplay systems and combat, and aesthetics.

Team. If you were looking for team continuity, you've got it. Many key members who played a role in the Planescape setting and Planescape: Torment are involved in Torment: Tides of Numenera. Colin McComb and Monte Cook were two of the three primary writers for TSR’s Planescape setting. Colin was also a key designer on PS:T, where he worked closely with lead designer Chris Avellone. For Torment: Tides of Numenera, Colin is leading the creative vision in the setting that Monte has crafted. The two are also joined by their long-time partner Ray Vallese, who edited and wrote for the Planescape setting and who'll be editing Torment content. (That’s right – the quality of writing for Torment is so important that we have a professional editor on the team.)

We have the honor to work again with Mark Morgan, who composed PS:T’s music. You can hear his first piece in our Kickstarter launch video. Other contributors to Torment in this preproduction period have included Adam Heine (a scripter on PS:T) and Aaron Meyers (an artist on PS:T). And, of course, it was Brian Fargo who originally saw the potential of Planescape: Torment at Interplay and who greenlit the project so that it could be made in the first place. And we're going to bring on a lot more people-some of the Wasteland 2 team, or course, and other high-profile writers who can provide their own inimitable voice to the game. We're excited to be working with them.

Details. While we aren't focusing on a direct story or setting connection between the PS:T story and Torment, we’ll include elements reminiscent of PS:T. That’s not to say that Torment will be overflowing with inside jokes, but players familiar with PS:T will notice some nods to the original. But just as PS:T strove to defy RPG tropes, so too will Torment – including some tropes that were established by PS:T. So expect a lot of surprises.

How Is Torment Different From Planescape: Torment?
• Torment is not a sequel to PS:T. It does not continue the stories of PS:T or its characters.
• Torment is set in Numenera’s Ninth World, a new tabletop RPG setting created by renowned designer Monte Cook (he and Colin wrote much of the material for the Planescape tabletop setting).
• Torment will use a new rules system that's based on the Numenera system but adapted specifically for a computer RPG.
•We'll strive to make Torment's combat system and encounters an engaging and entertaining part of the gameplay. We'll connect them narratively to the overall story. And, continuing the Torment tradition, we'll make most if not all combat avoidable.

Comments

• NeoDragonNeoDragon Member Posts: 169
    edited March 2013
    Sounds very promising.

And...Woot! They already nearly did it! 700k in a few hours! Unbelievable... And after "Project Eternity" I thought it couldn't get any better. Somtimes it feels good to be wrong :-)

I wonder what the strech goals will be ?

BUT:

- They're working on Wasteland 2, too. Might be a little too much. I hope they know what they're doing.
    - Until today I don't know of any real good kickstarter-funded game. Therefore, the whole concept has to prove that it really works.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2013
    I think I would have found that video (especially the second half) pretentious if this were almost any other game.

Anyways, awesome news. Looks like they'll meet their funding goal in the first day.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Faster Than Light is a Kickstarter game and I believe it did fairly well: http://www.ftlgame.com/

The concept is already working. You have Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 in development. Whether they succeed or not, doesn't really matter. Huge number of games fail, no matter how they are funded. Kicstarter just provides the initial funds and shows that there is interest for the concept so its easier to raise more funds from other sources.
    Aaand funded.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    -lol-
    Yeah, I was just coming to say that!
    Now, everything past this point is extra goodies!
    Let's see what they come up with.

Here's their first update.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/421386
    Updated our Journal...

Update #1

You’ve got to be freaking kidding me!! We just funded in six hours!?!?!

Our heads are still spinning at the incredible response we have had from today's support of our Kickstarter campaign. We had plans to roll out our stretch goals and to write our Kickstarter updates but never in our wildest dreams did we think we would fund this quickly!!! We are joyfully scrambling right now to get a longer update and some stretch goals in front of you as soon as we can. We should have more to say later today.

You are all unbelievably awesome and we could not be happier about receiving your trust in us. For many years we have wanted to get back to making this style of RPG but it appeared that the market was going everywhere but that direction. Almost every article and new game was focused on being an MMO, multi-player or micro-transition based. This wasn’t our style and we couldn’t generate interest in the classical narrative type of RPG that we all grew up making and playing. Thank you for backing our vision once again and we will not let you down. We will continue to communicate and and make sure we solicit input such that the game is hitting all the right notes.

Our goal is to make great RPGs for you all for the rest of our careers.

Thank you,

Brian Fargo and the team at inXile

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    125 dollars pledged!
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    NeoDragon said:

BUT:

- They're working on Wasteland 2, too. Might be a little too much. I hope they know what they're doing.
    - Until today I don't know of any real good kickstarter-funded game. Therefore, the whole concept has to prove that it really works.

Point 2 was already answered. In regards to point 1;

Their pre-production team, world designers, artists, storyboarders, are done on Wasteland 2 and are now twiddling their thumbs. With Torment funded, they can get started on this world, and by the time pre-production is done (storyline fleshed out, characters designed, levels designed, conversations written) the production team can take all that and get to building it. This keeps everyone active and keeps InXile from having to fire people because there's no work for them.

Also, as soon as the paypal option hits, I'm pledging 60,- for the boxed version (the cheap fancy boxed version is already sold out, and 100+ dollars plus delivery is too big a drain on my pitiful finances atm).
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    got in at the $95 Collector's Edition boxed copy level, it will be interesting to see how much money it ends up making after such an impressive opening; 1 million in under seven hours is pretty crazy.
    jaysl659 said:

it will be interesting to see how much money it ends up making after such an impressive opening...

That will probably depend on what Stetch Goals they offer and at what levels.

• RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    Today I was trying to understand what is inxile and this forum seems just right to ask.
    Its only curiosity but also if what I saw is true, a bit wierd too.
    I do know Brian Fargo and his past and believe he will make both wasteland 2 and torment in a way that not much people nowadays could, great games.
    Everything about the team is really great so that made me wonder: "if they exist since 2002 what have they been doing?"
    Why would such talented people only make iphone/flash games for 8 years? I get it that everybody is/was trying to make some money with apps and phone fever, was it it then? Every company has to do things like that to survive and that might have been it.

If that is true then I had no idea how kickstarter changed this studio's life. And I'am happy it did because they have potential. Apparently they were just stuck making those console/phone games due to lack of funding.
    Bards Tale was the first and as you would expect its a good game, a game brian would do. Then a series of iphone games... and later a helicopter (very generic) game hunted demons forge which is quite mediocre.
    I only find it interesting because while I have no doubts about the teams quality, these past games (except bads tale) are quite bad for someone making 2 of the best games in the next 2 years (I hope).

To resume, anyone know the story why inxile started in 2002 but only truly started making games in 2012? Maybe the studio was on a hold for some years? Again its only curiosity and please feel free to ignore my post if you don't care or dont have any information to add because I would hate to fill the thread with "useless posts".
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    So how many PST sequels are there at this point? Because I feel like I've seen the announcement of a sequel on three separate occasions since the kickstarter craze.
    edited March 2013

So how many PST sequels are there at this point? Because I feel like I've seen the announcement of a sequel on three separate occasions since the kickstarter craze.

Up to this point, absolutely none.
    There's been all kinds of talk about wanting Overhaul to enhance PST, but there has never been a sequel to PST... ever.

And this isn't either.

edited March 2013

Up to this point, absolutely none.
    There's been all kinds of talk about wanting Overhaul to enhance PST, but there has never been a sequel to PST... ever.

And this isn't either.
    Well I remember a while back there was a bit of a stir caused by Colin McComb (part of the PS:T team) writing an entry on his blog musing about a sequel. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10002/planescape-torment-sequel-on-the-way
    A while later, this was posted: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15088/planescape-damnation/p1
    which appears to be a semi-professional sequel, being made through extensive modding of the original.

Ultimately the first post I mentioned turned into the sequel we're seeing now, but yeah, I could see how it could feel like there's all kinds of speculative sequels in the works.
    That's the thing though, Damnation is a fan-based noncommercial mod, and even says so in that post.
    Which means, though they may be trying to continue the story and make it sequel-esque, in the end, it's just another mod.

As for this, there's a reason why I added the "How is it similar/How is it different" parts to the first post taken from the Kickstarter page.

It clearly states this isn't a sequel.

Next update.
    They put up Stetch Goals finally.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/421842
    Updated our Journal: A Gift, Stretch Goals Past & Present, Pay Pal

Update #2

Hello! I hope you all have had/are having a great day.

TL;DR: A gift for everyone; Stretch Goals, including some new talent joining the team and bonus rewards; Pay Pal coming tomorrow.

Our Sincerest Appreciation

We are deeply appreciative of your support of both Torment and role-playing games in general. Some of you are here, and supporting us, because of your love for Planescape: Torment, a game that inspired us as well. With this common interest in mind, we want to acknowledge your faith in us with a small token of our appreciation.

The friendly relationship between inXile and Obsidian Entertainment is no secret. In collaboration with our colleagues at Obsidian, we are going to create a special pledge reward that will be given to all backers of both Torment and Obsidian’s Project Eternity – a Planescape: Torment Developer Retrospective (digitally distributed). This idea was suggested by community member Dema on our UserVoice forums and has been one of the most highly favored suggestions.

We’ve talked with many of the original developers of Planescape: Torment and they will generously contribute developer diaries/blogs in a compilation of their thoughts about the project. Learn about their experiences working on the game, behind-the-scenes stories, and how the game influenced their later work. This Retrospective will be made available before Torment launches next December.

Our requests to Planescape: Torment team members have been met with great enthusiasm and we’re thrilled to announce that contributors to this Retrospective will include:
    ■ Chris Avellone, Lead Designer
    ■ Eric Campanella, Artist
    ■ Tim Donley, Lead Artist
    ■ Scott Everts, Technical Designer
    ■ Brian Fargo, Leader in Exile
    ■ Adam Heine, Scripter
    ■ Dave Maldonado, Designer
    ■ Colin McComb, Designer
    ■ Brian Menze, Artist
    ■ Aaron Meyers, Artist
    ■ Mark Morgan, Composer
    ■ Dennis Presnell, Artist
    ■ Dan Spitzley, Lead Programmer
    ■ Feargus Urquhart, President, Black Isle Studios
    ■ Scott Warner, Scripter
    We at inXile would like to also thank the PS:T team members who will be contributing as well as to Dema for making this suggestion!

Stretch Goals

Every dollar we receive from the Kickstarter (outside of expenses for reward fulfillment) will be invested in making Torment a better game, while retaining the focus on the pillars we’ve described. That is, the game will be improving in various ways all along the way. That said, we will also be describing explicit Stretch Goals so that you can see how we plan to enhance the game and also what we’re hoping to achieve. Thanks to your enthusiasm and support, we have already passed what would have been our first Stretch Goal and are excited to announce that, though you will play Torment as a specific character, we will provide you with the choice to choose your character’s gender when you begin a playthrough.

Besides the obvious impacts of PC gender (e.g., character model, animations, increased localization work for languages for which gender matters, etc.), there will be appropriate reactivity from NPCs in the game world. This doesn’t mean that the overarching story will depend on your gender, but the level of reactivity will be significant and noticeable. Shown below is a concept piece for the female PC, drawn by Nils Hamm. Nils is still working on the male PC and we’ll show you him in a later update. (Again, this isn't all that occurs by going from $0.9m through $1.2m, just a major element we want to call out.)

$1.5 Million: Richer Story – Writer Mur Lafferty and Designer Tony Evans join the Writing Team, plus a Bonus Novella)

Upon reaching $1.5M, we will expand the richness and reactivity of the story through adding two new writers to our team. We have designed the game’s storyline to be highly scalable and modular, and this allows us to bring in additional writing talent to enhance Torment’s story through deeper content and new areas and characters – both optional ones and on the critical path.

At $1.5 Million, two excellent writers, Tony Evans and Mur Lafferty will be contributing to the game. In case you aren’t yet familiar with their past work, here’s a little information on each:

Tony has been a game writer and designer since the late 1990s and has worked on more role-playing games than any sane designer should, with time served at both Obsidian and Bioware. Tony worked on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Dragon Age 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Mask of the Betrayer (he designed the Skein and wrote One of Many, among other things). Tony was also the lead designer on Storm of Zehir.

Mur is an author from Durham, NC. She’s written for several role-playing games including Vampire, Mage, Exalted, and World of Warcraft the RPG. She started podcasting in 2004 with her show Geek Fu Action Grip, and in 2005 began producing the award-winning podcast I Should Be Writing. She's published several audiobooks via podcast, and her debut novel, The Shambling Guide to New York City, is coming out in May. She was a 2012 nominee for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer in Science Fiction or Fantasy.

Additionally, Torment (and Wasteland 2) writer Nathan Long will be writing a novella for Torment. Nathan’s novella will be included in the Novella Compilation, and all backers receiving that reward will automatically receive this fourth novella, too.

We haven’t talked much about Nathan in the past and it’s high time to correct that. Nathan has been a superstar on the Wasteland 2 team and we are honored to have him as part of our team. Nathan is a screen and prose writer, with two movies, one Saturday-morning adventure series, and a handful of live-action and animated TV episodes to his name, as well as eleven fantasy novels and several award-winning short stories. He hails from Pennsylvania, where he grew up, went to school, and played in various punk and rock-a-billy bands, before following his dreams to Hollywood - where he now writes full time - and still occasionally plays in bands. His latest novel is Swords of Waar, the sequel to 2012's Jane Carver of Waar, and he realized his life-long dream when he began working as a game writer for inXile Entertainment.

$2.0 Million: Monte Writes, Mark Composes, and Goo Oozes

We will continue to increase Torment’s story depth and reactivity as Monte Cook also joins our writing team, contributing directly to in-game content. Monte is focused on Numenera, but we’ve been working directly with him already, seeking his guidance on how to best explore Numenera’s Ninth World. Later in the project, we will also be collaborating with Monte on the adaptation of Numenera’s tabletop rules to best suit a computer role-playing game. But at this Stretch Goal, Monte will become even more involved in Torment team and will add his writing talents as well. (Fortunately, Torment’s schedule allows for his creative work to begin later so that it won’t interfere with Numenera.)

At this Stretch Goal, Mark Morgan will write more music for Torment to complement the additional game areas and content we will be adding. Furthermore, he will incorporate a live orchestra into his work. Of course, all of this new music will be automatically including in the soundtrack (digital or CD) for backers who are receiving that reward. We will also provide the soundtrack reward in the lossless FLAC format for those who desire it.

Our initial plans for Torment included four possible companions for the player and at this Stretch Goal, we will be adding a fifth, which we’ve nicknamed “The Toy.” (That’s not its in-game name. ;) ) The Toy is a changing ball of goo: Is it a pet, an abandoned toy, a dangerous weapon? Whatever it is, it responds to the way you treat it by changing its appearance and abilities to reflect what it perceives as your desires. Its ultimate secrets are... well, you'll have to find out.

Housekeeping (including Pay Pal)

A couple other notes: First, it may be a while before we update the main Kickstarter page to reflect the content of this (and upcoming updates). You see, while finalizing our Kickstarter page, we reached the character limit allowed for a Kickstarter page (see below). So we are going to have to reorganize some of the content on our page to allow us to add new information. It might be a bit before we get to that, so please excuse any outdated content.

Second, we know that some would like to pledge through Pay Pal. Fortunately, our masterful developer Joby Bednar had already constructed the foundation necessary through our Wasteland 2 campaign. Unfortunately, we had some additional work to do for it and weren't expecting it to be necessary quite so soon. Joby, who also came in during the wee hours this morning to update our Torment website expects to have our Pay Pal store up tomorrow – we’re sorry for the delay.

When the Pay Pal store is available, any Tier that has not sold out on Kickstarter will be available through Pay Pal for those who choose. Any Tier that sells out will then also be closed on Pay Pal. This isn’t an automated process, so the Pay Pal option may be available for a short time after the Kickstarter one closes.

What’s Next?

Over the next days, we have more updates planned in which, besides any news related to the Kickstarter, will be providing some more details about our plans for Torment, building upon the information from our initial Kickstarter page. Some of these details will be explained through video updates from members of the Torment team, so you’ll get to learn both about the game and about the people who are (or will be) working on it.

Thank you all so much for an exciting first day. Words cannot expr

Sincerely,
    Kevin Saunders
    Project Director

• I look forward to the point when small developers get past their glee about how crowdfunding lets them make niche games so that they can stop wasting half their pitches taking the piss out of big publishers.

I'm holding off on pledging until I see a little more meat. as @TJ_Hooker says, the pitch comes off as a bit pretentious, and while I loved Planescape: Torment, the last game Colin McComb worked on that I played was, well, Planescape: Torment. Similarly, Brian Fargo hasn't worked on a game I've played since '97. If I've learned anything from the likes of George Lucas and Tim Schafer, it's that you can't count on star power alone when it comes to creative works. Especially when those stars haven't done anything for you lately, but [i]especially[/i] when there's a lack of editorial oversight.

Not to say I won't end up pledging before the campaign's done (although, given that more money means longer development, maybe I'd be better off waiting for the actual release), but I'd like to see something other than cheap shots and lofty questions before I commit.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I've never given a cent to any kickstarter. I don't like betting and that's what kickstarter actually is a bet. You bet that whatever you're pledging will be the product you desire when it's ready. I prefer to wait for the final product before I spend any money.

The only exception was the EE. I already knew the game and Overhaul's proposal of bug hunting and modernizing the code making it more compatible with modern and future OSs was something I completely agreed with and still do. I preordered BGEE and have all intention of preordering BG2EE when the preorder opens.

But giving money to a game that doesn't even exist yet because someone famous is involved with it is not something I'll do. If it turns out to be a good game I'll buy it, of course :)
    mlnevese said:

I've never given a cent to any kickstarter. I don't like betting and that's what kickstarter actually is a bet. You bet that whatever you're pledging will be the product you desire when it's ready. .........

This is indeed good thing to keep in mind when investing in Kickstarter. Its no a sure bet, you are not buying a product. That said, I've backed Project Eternity and now Torment. However, I did this fully knowing that there is a risk that all that money was for nothing.

I guess its unlikely that either of these product would never be done, but there is far greater risk that the end product simply doesn't deliver what was promised.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    edited March 2013
    I pledged on both this and Project Eternity, along with a couple other interesting looking projects I'd like to try out at some point (Delver's Drop, Homestuck), and another couple more that may not interest me personally but which I just had to back up on a matter of principle (Mine kafon, the Yes Men Are Revolting). I'm not putting vast amounts of money to basically everything remotely interesting I see, and I try to keep in mind that there's still a perfectly good possibility that some of these things aren't very good in the end after all - but frankly, some of them have pretty good signs, and I'd just like to give my support to promising looking dreams of some people that would not wish to attach themselves to large creepy corporations.

And in the end, it's better that these things come out and didn't turn up to be quite as great as we thought they would, than that they were never done at all. Some people just deserve a chance, even if they were not given it by those that only see profit in their eyes, and Kickstarter gives them that chance.
  • LordOfLostSocksLordOfLostSocks Member Posts: 23
    Well, no publisher has yet attempted to make these games. I feel that kickstarter has given us a last chance to get these games done. So yes. I'll be backing this on paypal once it's up. I'd rather bet 50 bucks on a new Torment, than spend it on Mass Effect 4, or Dragon Age 3... Even if Torment sucks, I doubt I'd regret the bet, I'd just burn down inXile's offices.
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    I really love kicstarter system, they give power to the buyers! Its a win - win situation.

Pledged 275 $ for this reward --> Cypher Collector 2 - Physical goods!

Maybe you can help me. What is the difference between Cypher collector - Physical goods and Cyoher collector 2 - Physical goods? (except first one is 250$ and second is 275$?)

edited March 2013
    mlnevese said:

I've never given a cent to any kickstarter. I don't like betting and that's what kickstarter actually is a bet. You bet that whatever you're pledging will be the product you desire when it's ready. I prefer to wait for the final product before I spend any money.

The only exception was the EE. I already knew the game and Overhaul's proposal of bug hunting and modernizing the code making it more compatible with modern and future OSs was something I completely agreed with and still do. I preordered BGEE and have all intention of preordering BG2EE when the preorder opens.

But giving money to a game that doesn't even exist yet because someone famous is involved with it is not something I'll do. If it turns out to be a good game I'll buy it, of course :)

I still don't see a fundamental difference between pre-ordering EE and funding the recent Kickstarter projects. Sure, you may be reassured by the fact that BG already exists, because you're at least guaranteed a decent product even if Beamdog didn't really deliver on their promises, but the thing is, if you already own a copy of BG (I'm assuming you do), it's really not any less of a waste of money than if you had funded a different game which turned out to be garbage. Either way you're not gaining anything from the transaction. With regards to their promises of bug fixing and code updating, assuming that they'll be able to fulfill those promises isn't any less of a gamble than assuming that companies making Kickstarter games will be able to fulfill their promises.
    Preordering basically anything at all, ever, is always a gamble. The difference with Kickstarter is that your preorder can easily make a difference on whether the game even comes out to begin with (and if it doesn't, no money is spent), and can fund additional content or features when new milestones are reached.

I therefore consider it a far better investment than preordering a yet another AAA FPS. Those tend to be more expensive anyway.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Picking gender is a stretch goal? >_>

Like a lot of people here I think it is best to hold off on donating until I see something concrete, kickstarting should help a project reach it's goal, not demand so much with so little to go on.
  • Chow said:

Preordering basically anything at all, ever, is always a gamble. The difference with Kickstarter is that your preorder can easily make a difference on whether the game even comes out to begin with (and if it doesn't, no money is spent), and can fund additional content or features when new milestones are reached.

I therefore consider it a far better investment than preordering a yet another AAA FPS. Those tend to be more expensive anyway.

On the other hand, preordering an actual game can be done in the context of trailers, previews, and demos; while all of those have to be taken with a grain of salt (see: Brutal Legend, Aliens: Colonial Marines), it's still more than the bunch of vague pronouncements you tend to get with Kickstarter. To my mind, backing a project that's nothing more than a few pieces of concept art and an abstract story pitch is more of a gamble than something you can see, play, and get informed opinions on.

I wouldn't preorder a AAA FPS either, but that has more to do with disliking FPS games than disliking AAA developers.
  • LordOfLostSocksLordOfLostSocks Member Posts: 23

Picking gender is a stretch goal? >_>

Like a lot of people here I think it is best to hold off on donating until I see something concrete, kickstarting should help a project reach it's goal, not demand so much with so little to go on.

Supposedly the gender will greatly affect how the game plays out.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/444692/posts/422515/image-221040-full.jpg?1362696621

Stretch goals ^^

Kaigen said:

On the other hand, preordering an actual game can be done in the context of trailers, previews, and demos; while all of those have to be taken with a grain of salt (see: Brutal Legend, Aliens: Colonial Marines), it's still more than the bunch of vague pronouncements you tend to get with Kickstarter. To my mind, backing a project that's nothing more than a few pieces of concept art and an abstract story pitch is more of a gamble than something you can see, play, and get informed opinions on.

Personally I believe that the knowledge of who is running the show - people that have already offered many fantastic games unlike anything we've seen on this decade - and the knowledge that the publishers won't get to screw them over at all this time around, is more than enough for me to match the things you mentioned. But you may disagree.

All considered, it's still not that much money, and while there is still a possibility of them having gone full George Lucas, it's a risk I'm willing to take.
    And there's the 2m mark.
    Next up 2.5m

edited March 2013
    Mark Morgan's music sample:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBc842j4vpU
This discussion has been closed.