Skip to content

[Request] Unfinished business for BG:EE and BG2:EE

Comments

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I don't understand why Wizards wouldn't give them a bit of contractual leeway. What possible harm could there be in allowing them to finish up unfinished quests and other such stuff?

But then again, I'm no lawyer.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Can the unfinished business mod be made canon in BG:EE, missing dialogue and quests etc...

I don't like modding my game a whole lot, and since the content I'm referring to was always intended to be in the game I think this is the type of thing the enhanced edition should aim for.

On that note the ascension mod for ToB (at least as an optional toggle option in the settings) would be nice as well.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'd like this too, but I don't think it's going to happen.
    @TJ_Hooker

Just curious what makes you think so?

I think fixing lost / missing intended content is exactly the sort of thing an enhanced edition would want to incorporate, and most of the work has already been done by a mod so you could more or less copy what it does.

Do you think it is outside their contract limitations?
    edited January 2013
    I don't remember exactly why, but I know it's been talked about before and I think the discussions typically ended with the conclusion that it was unlikely. I'm not sure if any devs actually weighed in though. I'm thinking it probably has a lot to do with contract limitations. Also, their may have been an issue with trying to track down all the people who contributed to UB in order to get their permission to use their mod content.

Edit: this is all based on hazy memory so I could be totally wrong here.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    Has a developer ever weighed in that this is against contractual limitations?

I don't really see the difference in fixing spelling mistakes, or expanding descriptions to replacing missing dialogue that is actually in the system. I know some of the missing dialogue in BG2 never displayed due to a typo. I also think its basically the same thing is flushing out missing / broken quests. And ascension is basically imperative to ToB.

I could easily argue that Korgan showing up to a raided caravan and shrugging off his entire business to follow you around is as much a bug as anything else that has been fixed, with the exception of crash bugs.

Could they not make the interface such that mods could be packaged and put in a mod folder that can be toggled on or off from inside the program? And then expand it further so at the start screen be able to view possible mods they have approved and download them to the mod folder from inside the program to be toggled on/off? That way they could make their own mods as a way to get around contractual limitations, and at the same time use fan mods that they approve of. All without you having to do anything other than open Baldur's Gate, look at the list of options, and select which ones you want that would then download.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @moopy: There was talk of mod support prior to launch, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside...
    If the mods for BGEE are as irritating to install as they are to me for BGT, especially given that BG:EE updates itself so it is more likely to break the mods you've installed, it would be disappointing to have to depend on mods to flush out loose ends or ascension.

From the perspective of someone who hates installing mods I'm still hopeful they will tie up loose ends with things like UB, make mod support user friendly, or both.

I realize there are a lot more pressing concerns at the moment like multiplayer, ipad issues, android support, bugs, etc... but maybe we'll see it down the road.
    edited January 2013
    @moopy this is a response to your question in the "Killed Drizzt in 3 seconds..." thread about getting a statement from the devs regarding restoring cut content à la Unfinished Business (thought it would make more sense for me to post it here). The following is taken from here: https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4045/questions-answers-thread-from-last-nights-and-perhaps-todays-amaa
    which is a copy from the AMAA (Ask Me Almost Anything) done by Beamdog on Reddit.
    lordkim said:

How much, if any, of the 'Unfinished Business' content is in BG:EE?

[–]OverhaulNathan[S]

Hi Billards, thanks for coming out!

Unfortunately, we won't be including any of the Unfinished Business mod content with the BG:EE core. In order to include any mods with the game, we've done our best to ensure that we get direct permission from the creators involved and credit them accordingly.

Unfinished Business is one of those mods that, although it has one sort of 'curator' to look after it, who sort of owns the content therein is a big question mark. In addition, there are some strict contract-related things about modifying the existing game's content that we have to be careful to not run afoul of, so... there you have it.

BG:EE will be very mod friendly though, I believe more-so than BG2/BG1 is, and should support existing mods with minimal modification on the mods' part. I'd be surprised if the people in charge of curating the mod don't update it to work with BG:EE fairly quickly.

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, as it's more talking specifically about UB, rather than the issue of restoring cut content in general, but it doesn't make me feel particularely optimistic about seeing content restored.
    @TJ_Hooker

I appreciate that.

It still leaves the question of if they CAN do it or not contractually. He just said they have to be careful.

And it says they won't be using the current UB mod, I am more curious if they, at a future date, would implement their own take on what is missing.

To me it basically reads we may or may not be able to do it, and we definitely won't be doing it before we go live, and if we never get around to it (which we may or may not be able to do) then you can always just hope someone else will update the mod for BG:EE.

So I guess I would have asked the question a different way, not will you add content from the UB mod, but will you implement your own take on code that is partially or fully present (not just quests but dialogue also) and was never finished or triggered to appear in the game.

For example if BG2:EE doesn't include the Ascension mod, which is practically canon, I will be severely disappointed. (I'm expecting it to not be though)
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

I hope they use restraint. Some of those restored quests are utter tripe.

This. Not everything is cut because of time/budget limits, some stuff is cut simply because it sucks.
    Messi said:

I hope they use restraint. Some of those restored quests are utter tripe.

This. Not everything is cut because of time/budget limits, some stuff is cut simply because it sucks.
    Double this.

Which is why I tried to clarify I didn't want the UB mod. I wanted some of the missing content restored by the Overhaul team.

• BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Any progress updates on this?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Perhaps, or perhaps not.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I'd like to add that @AndreaColombo may or may not be correct.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    I may like that. Or not.
    Schrodinger would love it.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited March 2013
    Shoudn't someone have said "Soon" by now? I thought it was a forum tradition...
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Wait, does this mean that the devs are looking into some kind of possible implementation?

I have perceived a bias toward non-interference on the part of the devs, but maybe this is starting to be on the table a little? :]
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    You didn't kill the animal; you have only made it dead.
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    Can...not...play...without...this.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    mlnevese said:

Shoudn't someone have said "Soon" by now? I thought it was a forum tradition...

I'm sure someone will at some point, or they might not.

Either way, if they do, it will probably happen in a relatively short (but heretofore unspecified) amount of time.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Come on, @CamDawg ... everyone knows that "there is no spoon".