Skip to content

Firebead's quest - Thethoril will not give the scroll

Comments

• hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    Micalabre said:

Cmd-click doesn't function as a right click, so I can't right click with my trackpad unless I enable two-finger clicking.

Have 10.8.2 on my Mac and can verify that Ctrl-click isn't working (at least on the map).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Micalabre @hook71 Mac version not following OSX keyboard conventions is a known issue and is a already in the tracker.
  • kavakekavake Member Posts: 17
    Firebeards quest and more.
    I decided to start a new game last weekend. Mostly because of the new patch update I had downloaded earlier. I created a Mage who was N-G and had a 15 Char'. To my surprise the guy in the red robe would not give me the scroll I was sent to collect. The only reply I got was that he had nothing to say to me. So I went to do some of the other quests and then return. Afterwards I still got the same reply. I thought some thing had to be wrong with my PC. I started another PC and got the same reply. Buy this time I was feeling a little frustrated. So just to make sure I did it again but gave the new mage (3rd guy) a Char' of 17. I got the same no response again. I realised I had done nothing wrong so I went on with my new game.
    Then I went to the Inn and got the fire ring quest. Did the quest and NO RING! I went back to her to see what would happen. She thanked me for returning the ring I never found. I even got the rewards. Later I Was doing the Chicken restore quest and for the first time ever The poor guy did NOT live through the restoration process. I thought Nope, I'm going to try again. So I reloaded my quick save. Which I had doneout side the castle. I had had a bad feeling before I went inside. The second time everything went right. I was beginning to feel a bit spooked because of what was happening. Now I wonder if there will be a fix for this at a later date. Should I stard over again? but some how keep this now 3-4th level mage somehow? He's a 93 point PC. which is the highest I've ever rolled u;. or is this entire new game jinxed somehow?
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    @kavake

"The poor guy did NOT live through the restoration process"

That is not a bug. I think it is

50% live
    50% die
  • NyxlNyxl Member Posts: 34
    kavake said:

Should I stard over again? but some how keep this now 3-4th level mage somehow? He's a 93 point PC. which is the highest I've ever rolled u;. or is this entire new game jinxed somehow?

You can always export your character, to import in a new game. That may cause the NPC's to be of higher level when you recruit them, though.

As for the 'antichickenator', it has indeed a 50% chance of failing. I tend to reload until I get a success whenever I play a Good-oriented party. For Neutral or Evil parties, meh, I usually do not care. ;-)
  • ParaspriteParasprite Member Posts: 22
    The quest is obtainable from Firebead as normal, but if I try to talk to Tethtoril after obtaining the quest he only notifies me of Gorion's need of me without acknowledging the scroll. The only workaround I've found is that you can pickpocket the scroll from him to complete the quest.

OS X 10.8.3, App store version 2014:
  • 95Braves95Braves Member Posts: 0
    After accepting the quest to retrieve identity scroll from Tethoril in prolog, Tethoril does not give you the scroll. This started after the most recent release #7, I believe.
  • RazimirRazimir Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013
    Where to unzip that files? Which folder? There is no folder named "override"
    -PC - Steam version
    In folder "data" there are just files, no folders.

Edit: Just found what to do :)
    Post edited by Razimir on
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97

The quest is obtainable from Firebead as normal, but if I try to talk to Tethtoril after obtaining the quest he only notifies me of Gorion's need of me without acknowledging the scroll. The only workaround I've found is that you can pickpocket the scroll from him to complete the quest.

OS X 10.8.3, App store version 2014:

This might work if you have a character who can pickpocket. I gave up on that quest with my character and currant version until my son was nice enough to 'cheat' a scroll into my backpack.

I, also, forgot to save before going in with the skeleton head to help the chicken and he died. No way was I going to do over (way back in time) to my last save. I'm enjoying this game so much I keep forgetting to save, save, save! :D
  • MonolithMonolith Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the ipad app and have run into this bug... is there an eta for the fix? Kind of disappointing.
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    A (perhaps) simpler method to fix Tethtoril's dialogue is to bring up the CLUA console and type:
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("TALKEDTOFIREBEAD","GLOBAL",1)
    ...and then hit ENTER.

That should make Tethtoril give you the proper dialogue option and the identify scroll.
    [Deleted User]LockRanSagyBubu
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Unfortunately, there's no console on the iPad...sorry @Monolith.
  • FallenShadowzFallenShadowz Member Posts: 8
    In the prologue after talking to Firebead Elvenhair about the Identify Scroll, talking to Tethtoril only triggers his normal lines like 'Gorion is looking after you.' (or something like that). The dialogue in which he hands the scroll over to Charname doesn't appear.
    Some additional info, switching languages (i.e. from german to english and also backwards) doesn't change anything, I don't think the issue is caused by any language strings.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @FallenShadowz
    Thread merged. This bug has already been reported and the devs are aware of it. It will be fixed in the next patch.
    FallenShadowz
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    I keep trying to talk to the monk who is supposed to give me the scroll to return it, and he just tells me to go find Gorion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    I also have been experiencing this, as has my brother. I think it has only happened since the latest patch. Hopefully Beamdog will address it soon.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Baxyratty
    Thread merged. This bug has already been reported. It will be fixed in the next patch.
  • TypoTypo Member Posts: 3
    Phyrax said:

I have just downloaded the Mac OSX version and have tried to complete Firebead's quest, however, Tethoril only encourages me to speak to Gorion and not give the scroll...

Expected behaviour: after getting the quest from FB, Tethoril should give the ID-scroll.

Rogues and Bards can just pick pocket the scroll allowing them to hand in the scroll (assuming you'd want to - Identify scrolls are good, especially for the low level, empty spellbook Bard)
  • KurakaiKurakai Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2013
    Edit: Nevermind, fixed it :)
    Post edited by Kurakai on
  • citizencitizen Member Posts: 8
    I can't seem to fix it in Windows 7. I put my override folder as:

E:\Programs_x86\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\override

What do I need to do differently?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @citizen many fixes only work if you haven't already encountered the thing (area, character, quest, etc.) that they fix. If you've already talked to Tethtoril, you'll need to start a new game in order for the fix to take effect.
    Will that still be true after the patch?
    I'm not really sure, but I would guess it would be that way even after the patch. The Firebead scroll quest is so early in the game, I don't think it would be that big of a deal to restart. At worst you lose like 10 minutes of play time. If you don't want to have to roll a new character, just export your current one and then import it for you new game.
    Starting a new game did the trick.
  • rondolfrondolf Member Posts: 3
    "I've already reported this but here is a quickfix in the mean time. This may require a new game to work.

Stick both files in the override folder."

Stick both what files?
    @rondolf the 2 files contained in the .zip he attached.
  • NalrashidoNalrashido Member Posts: 31
    Where's the override folder for the Steam version?
  • EketEket Member Posts: 69
    How do i fix this on ipad?
  • RanSagyRanSagy Member Posts: 13
    Blucher said:

A (perhaps) simpler method to fix Tethtoril's dialogue is to bring up the CLUA console and type:
    CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("TALKEDTOFIREBEAD","GLOBAL",1)
    ...and then hit ENTER.

That should make Tethtoril give you the proper dialogue option and the identify scroll.

Yup, worked in my new save game just now. Thanks for that :)