Skip to content

I want to give you my monies

When does pre ordering for BGII:EE start?

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Probably after the first game is finished
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited March 2013
    My bet would be around the same time it started for BGEE. Around July?
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    Anduin said:

For the prophecy of BGII:EE to be revealed the following must occur.

- A new Pope to take office.
    - For a comet to be seen in the ethereal skys.
    - For Mt Etna to erupt, and pour forth lava.
    - For the masses to eat upon the flesh of horse.
    - For a new future monarch to be born.

So we're basically waiting for Kate to get a wriggle on.

LOL. That made my day!
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    Anduin said:

For the prophecy of BGII:EE to be revealed the following must occur.

- A new Pope to take office.
    - For a comet to be seen in the ethereal skys.
    - For Mt Etna to erupt, and pour forth lava.
    - For the masses to eat upon the flesh of horse.
    - For a new future monarch to be born.

So we're basically waiting for Kate to get a wriggle on.

:D

"wriggle."
    /snicker
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    For those interested Kate is expecting a prince / princess this July...
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Have their been any specific announcements re: BGIIEE features? July seems pretty soon. :]]]
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    We know there is 1 more character (Likely the mysterious evil female thief, or EFT as I like to call her), and around 200,000 words of new material. This is slightly more than the size of 1.5 ToBs. Beyond these, i don;t think much has been said.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    Anduin said:

Lastly, the winner to any such argument... and I do hope your British, name one person of British origin. ONE. Who you would accept as your president.

If you say Tony Blair. I will find you. And I will make a purse from your gonads.

george galloway or boris johnson

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mjs said:

Anduin said:

Lastly, the winner to any such argument... and I do hope your British, name one person of British origin. ONE. Who you would accept as your president.

If you say Tony Blair. I will find you. And I will make a purse from your gonads.

george galloway or boris johnson

Galloway would just crawl around doing cat impressions all day. Which actually sounds better than what's currently going on now that I think about it. More amusing and probably considerably less damaging.
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Galloway is a prat. Boris Johnson on the other hand is awesome.
  • KatermeisterKatermeister Member Posts: 28
    We need Kings and shit like that, else we couldn't open new bridges and tunnels!
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    daven said:

Galloway is a prat. Boris Johnson on the other hand is awesome.

they're both highly amusing prats

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Rowan Williams, David Attenborough or Stephen Fry would all make a great British President. How about Judi Dench? She seems both sensible and pleasant. None of them are politicians, but nor is HRH ER II.

As Douglas Adams once pointed out: being President isn't about having power, it's about distracting the public from the real power. The British royal family do a good job of this, it doesn't make me like them though.
    edited March 2013
    Due to terrible narrow mindedness, I do need to mention that a constitutional monarchy with democratic consensus is best. I would take arms if suddenly we returned to the age of sun king and absolute monarchies.

Also, civilised democracy with an elected president, elected fairly, with robust constitutional laws are also good. USA is not hindered by the lack of a monarchy for example... Although the president it seems is treated as if he was a king at times...

Why are people nominating celebrities for the possible post of a British president?

The only person I can think of with the qualifications is Richard Branson.

Boris Johnson would never be president as he is related to royalty... He would lose his chance of becoming king if the 324 hiers to the throne in front of him pop their clogs...
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    I still don't buy the fact that having a royal family stops people from doing terrible things to gather more power for themselves, especially when you factor in that the royals aren't -really- 'top dog' when it comes down to it. I think we'd be better off with a few less people who are famous for no reason other than being who they are...though that seems to be a common phenomenon in modern (or maybe its not even a new thing...) civilization, monarchy or no.

Also don't buy that monarchy isn't great for the monarch. Sure, being in the public eye brings a host of issues, but there is a reason people strive to be there. The stress of getting gossiped about nonstop and having to keep up a public image pales in comparison to the stress of having to work for a living, hunger, abject poverty, disease, etc. etc.

P.S. Let the record show that it wasn't me (this time) who derailed this thread so horribly! I just hopped on the crazy train and drove it a little further from the tracks.
    Yes. When can we stop giving monies to governments and start giving money to overhaul?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

@Bhaaldog accepts any donations! A couple of million and I will personally write the script for BG3...

Shut up and take my money!

Post edited by Sniiiimon on
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    This is all ludicrously off-topic, but ...

People who want power are the worst people to be governed by, which is the fundamental reason why no government is ever the friend of its people. At least in a democracy we get the chance to sack the government from time to time, which restrains them from being as bad as they'd be otherwise.

Democratic politics is an extremely competitive game in which nice guys come last, it's stuffed full of back-stabbing power-hungry b@stards because politics attracts such people like flies, and the only way anyone of any party can ever get to the top is by pushing aside all the other back-stabbing power-hungry b@stards by being even more back-stabbing and power-hungry than the rest of them. No matter how broad their smiles, no matter how nice-guy their PR image, the reality behind closed doors is that top politicians in all of the parties are always very driven people indeed, yet all of them have to live a permanent lie to try to look like "normal" people to the voters. If you met any of these people in any normal walk of life, then you'd probably wonder about their sanity, but they have to be like that to succeed in politics because it's so viciously competitive.

Do I want someone like that as a President? Like heck! I'll stick with the Queen, thank you very much. The best thing about (limited, constitutional) monarchy is that it prevents grasping power-hungry politicians from becoming Presidents.
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    Bhaaldog said:

Anduin said:

Yes. When can we stop giving monies to governments and start giving money to overhaul?

@Bhaaldog accepts any donations! A couple of million and I will personally write the script for BG3...
    *goes in to a life of poverty, stuffing all of his life savings into an envelope simply addressed 'Bhaaldog.'*
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    What's the point of having an elected president with no powers? It would simply become a beacon for pointless protest votes.

So if you want a president, they would need to be given some real powers. What would those be? And would this put us in a better position than the current British parliamentary system.

And for some things, I think there are advantages of having people who aren't elected. Unelected people don't need to pander to the latest popularity fads, but can take a more balanced view. Of course on the other hand there is more opportunity for corruption to set in.
    bgplaya said:

Bhaaldog said:

Anduin said:

*goes in to a life of poverty, stuffing all of his life savings into an envelope simply addressed 'Bhaaldog.'*
    To end... Like this?
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Presidents without power do exist. In Germany, for example. And you know what, they're doing basically the same job as the British royal family, only their post is not hereditary. I guess you need both, one leader who does the work and one who leads and represents.
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190
    Corvino said:

Off-topic: Can't we just abolish them already? Nothing personal, just the idea of a hereditary monarch acting as unelected head of state and thereby earning free cash for their entire extended family really gets up my nose. They're also exempt from a number of taxes that the rest of us have to pay.

And in return we get a tourist attraction and occasional mock-hysteria when one of them does something stupid/gets married/dies/spawns another royal to perpepuate the cycle. The French probably get as much of a tourist draw to the Guillotine & Revolutionary sites, but that's just me being bloody minded.

*Edit* Rant over. Kings and
    Queens, Lords and Ladies etc work very well in fantasy settings. I remain unconvinced about their role in a 21st Century Democracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

^That.

The Royal Family is a cash cow for the UK.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    In theory, the British sovereign does have various "royal prerogative" powers. The constitutional arrangement is that some of those powers are exercised on her behalf by the politicians, but some other powers are not exercised at all. I count it as another advantage of our current system that some powers are held but never exercised, because that slightly limits the scope for politicians and governments to push the rest of us around, and so helps to preserve what remains of our liberty. If we had a President instead, I'd bet that those reserve powers would soon come back into use.
    edited March 2013

EDIT: Did anyone see what I did there... I tried to get back on topic... You know... Less about the mild oppression of the peasantry... More about the game...