Skip to content

Which way do you play Evil?

GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
Discussion in another thread has caused me to wonder how people go about it when they play an Evil character.
  1. Which way do you play Evil?140 votes
    1. I don't play Evil characters.
      23.57%
    2. I sometimes or usually play Evil characters, but I generally keep my reputation close to 18 (for better quest rewards, shop prices, etc.)
      15.71%
    3. I sometimes or usually play Evil characters, and generally keep my reputation mid-range to prevent Flaming Fist Enforcers spawning everywhere and attacking me.
      39.29%
    4. I sometimes or usually play Evil characters, and generally keep my reputation at 3 or less by slaughtering everyone in sight, and revel in yet more Flaming Fist Enforcers coming out to die.
        6.43%
    5. I sometimes or usually play Evil characters, but none of the above describes my usual approach.
      15.00%

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    I'd like to play Evil, but I simply can not stand the raging BS that is the Reputation system.
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    I'm currently playing an evil character, though it is pretty early on in the game. My reputation is about six right now, so no flaming fist enforcers yet.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    I keep it mid-range to keep Imoen from calling me a mutt mongering rif raf. Other than her, the rest of my party doesn't care if we break an arm or a leg for a copper or two.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    I'm currently doing my first ever evil run-through.

It's really liberating. Rather than having to reload every time I'm caught stealing, I simply slaughter the guards who come to stop me, then kill the asshole peasant who dared call them in the first place.

Plus I get to kill anyone who slights me, and with SCS installed, every group of Flaming Fist baddies that get summoned drop a potion of extra healing.

It's rather fun!
  • DarrylsonDarrylson Member Posts: 87
    I generally keep a mid-level reputation when I play evil. Mostly because of the fact that I often have neutral NPCs like Branwen or Xan with me. I also don't see the appeal in playing an axe-crazy lunatic so my reputation never drops that low anyway. I also usually play "evil" enough that my reputation never gets to the 16+ range.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I always play evil (with the rare neutral charname thrown in; maybe 2 or 3 since BG1 first came out) and my parties are usually all evil or neutral/evil. As a house rule, all evil parties will see that they take a rep hit at 14 (to average on 10); mixed neutral/evil parties will do so at 16 (and average on 12 throughout the game).

My charnames are usually the smart, charismatic types and therefore "villains with good PR", but they are still evil and not every commoner is dumb. Many will see through the game the party plays and be in a "I KNOW that guy is a jerk, I just can't prove it... yet" situation.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @KidCarnival, that sounds to me roughly like the mid-range approach I described. Did I over-specify, perhaps?
    The part that doesn't apply is "to prevent Flaming Fists". While that is mostly true for my thief and jester, it doesn't apply to my Priest of Talos. He's chaotic evil and kills a sacrifice to Talos every day with the Lightning ability, which sometimes does result in Flaming Fists spawning.
    I guess I play two different approaches; the cleric isn't that charismatic or smart and I don't have a real planned approach. I kill something every day - animal, enemy, commoner - and if it results in a rep drop to Flaming Fist territory, so be it. He's my "canon" charname in BG1 and therefore I see the way I play him as more important (than BG2 "canon" thief, for example), even if my other charnames act differently.
    Need more psychopathic murders in this thread.

I'm currently doing my first ever evil run-through.

It's really liberating. Rather than having to reload every time I'm caught stealing, I simply slaughter the guards who come to stop me, then kill the asshole peasant who dared call them in the first place.

Plus I get to kill anyone who slights me, and with SCS installed, every group of Flaming Fist baddies that get summoned drop a potion of extra healing.

It's rather fun!

I haven't fought the SCS Flaming Fist yet. I'm on an evil run right now. Might have to test them out. They're a joke in vanilia.

They're not that hard with SCS either. I mean, they're BETTER, but still not very challenging.

However, there are other parts of that mod that more than make up for it...fucking Davaeorn...
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I usually don't play evil characters, but when I do my approach depends on personality I've come up with for my character.
    That sounds very NSFW. I was considering, but if THAT is what I have to do, I won't install that mod.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    It's really rare that I play evil. In fact I think I can only recall doing it three time in thirteen years of playing this game.
    • Once very early on as a test of game mechanics in what I would call a 'stupid evil' run (and then discovering that means being hunted down by Flaming Fist wizards at every turn).
    • Another time in more conservative attempt to assemble an all evil party of NPCs and see if the 'evil' roleplaying options offer a decent game as one follows the standard plotline.
    • And once 'smart evil' soloing as a cunning NE Cleric/Mage.
    I found the solo run to be the most interesting by far, because it called for the most creativity. That said, interesting though it was for the problem-solving it called for, it is not how I would want to play every game.

I found that I much prefer to play either the helpful sort, or a more neutral mercenary type who simply doesn't judge whoever is willing to join up. Thus I play either Good or Neutral characters who assemble mixed alignment parties.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i'm playing my first evil charname for BG at the moment, but i've put her intelligence to 17 to legitimately RP "intelligent evil" so i can keep her rep middling and not feel dirty for doing it :P
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I do play evil a lot but I just play them as self-motivated characters. Where the paladin completes every quest out of the sheer goodness of his heart and doesn't even ask for a reward, my evil PC completes all quests to receive rewards.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    I tried being Evil once, but the dialog choices made me feel like a chump, and the quest rewards were lackluster.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    I never liked playing evil until I got a bit older and could detach myself more from the character. Recently I've found myself even more fascinated by the evil side, mainly I think because it has some options and twists I'd not experienced before.

My kind of evil is the kind that stays below radar and only shows its nature during stress or in sutations with obvious gain. I generally don't choose the "I will kill you now, RAWRGH!" options... I'd not mind playing a game as Evil with high reputation, I like the idea of a "front", but I do mind the constant bickering I get from my companions.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited March 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="Bhaaldog">Very rarely play evil...</blockquote>

I'm surprised that no one noticed the irony in these words...^_-

They're not that hard with SCS either. I mean, they're BETTER, but still not very challenging.

However, there are other parts of that mod that more than make up for it...fucking Davaeorn...

LOL, Minor Sequencer=Web and Stinking Cloud AFTER he casts Web once he gets done talking to you.
    Yea, he's annoying.

Have fun in Durlags.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I used to have some evil tendencies but they were driven by lust for magic items, killing Adalon, getting Blackrazor. With both those actions you are given a reason to do something bad.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I don't always play evil characters, but when I do, they have excellent reputations and are beloved by their sheep. They frequently dip down because they will not hesitate to assassinate, murder, or generally stab every and anything that would benefit them to do so, but will rarely dip very often, because it's more effective to brutally slaughter and betray a bickering noble and druid sect in the depths of Cloakwood with no witnesses than it is to kill some pathetic peasant who's trying to call the guards to protect their 5 gold pieces.

It's more than simple enough to simply evade the guards before they even turn up anyway, so of course I steal their 5 gold pieces too, I just don't get caught.

In those rare cases that it's important to do so, I quietly bribe the public officials to turn a blind eye to my more horrifying misdeeds, which, considering my brutal, brutal acquisition of wealth is a drop in the ocean of my largesse.

Eventually, after tormenting people, causing a Paladin to fall by simply being rude to him, and allowing rampaging monsters to just happen to slaughter watchmen and innocents, I and my group of slaves proceed to murder my nemesis and everyone they care about, deep below the thieves guild, or as I like to call it, "Massacre Site 1015".

The most evil actions don't cost a single point of reputation, such as charming a commoner into starting a brawl to the death with another commoner, or leading an army of kobolds into Gullykin for a laugh.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I played an evil character only one time.
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    edited March 2013
    I see the world in grey.... i play always neutral aligment... sometimes i do good deeds somethimes i do evil.... sometime I follow the law somtimes i feel like to break them ....

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I play good characters nicely.

I play evil characters badly.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    Usually play neutral evil in the sense that Viconia is neutral evil. If saving the villagers leads to the best outcome for me - so be it - save the plebs and take their thankful gold and the glory. If the lurking forest beasts make a better offer and no one will be the wiser - OFF WITH THE VILLAGER'S HEADS.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    The tactic depends on your stage in the game. In the beginning it is straight suicide to play really evil, since you will be ganked by the Flaming Fist or soldiers of Amn. When you approximately hit level 5, it is time to start showing the proper dedication towards playing evil and kill, rob and loot as you desire. You will be able to kill any enforcer that comes on your path with ease at this point. In case you want to buy more expensive items, you will always have to temporarily increase your reputation though.

Early game: good easier (by a stretch)
    Late game: evil easier
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I kill people if they threaten me or threaten to snitch on me, which leads me to often have a pretty low reputation, but I don't kill people to revel in it.

A little ironic that the snitch-killing system results in the guards coming to kill you BUT.
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2013
    I don't always play evil characters, but when I do...

I usually skip the "insane jerk" comments and play it like a sociopath con man. You can use the polite replies to get what you want. Because getting what you want is the point. I'm not out there trying to save grandma's farm.