Skip to content

Wyvern (normal or greater) death causing crash

dieterderblaudieterderblau Member Posts: 8
don't know if it's the death of the monster or the drop of the wyvern skull, but in both the Wyvern Lair in Cloakwood and the Greater Wyverns in Durlag's Tower labyrinth lvl3(?), are causing the game to crash, or at best, lock up then crash... playing the Windows 7 version on Win7ultimate, all latest game patches applied.

Comments

• TheWizardSleeveTheWizardSleeve Member Posts: 3
    When i kill this monstrous demon, the game crashes out, help!
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    got a crash dump?

A window like this:

Send that to the email address given.
    CrevsDaak
  • k11uk11u Member Posts: 2
    FIX THIS BUG ALREADY! The game crashes every time upon aec'letec's death.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    Killed this last night and the game did not crash.

[Spoiler=Spoiler]*edit* I just found out bout the potion of mirrored eyes trick to prevent the gaze death! I killed him by using potion of freedom on my tank and cleric to prevent the hold, then hasted him and sent him down into the pit. The tank was sent immediately to attack the beast. I then sent the rest of the group down. The 4 remaining party members killed the summoners while my Cleric chain healed the tank. After the summoners were all dead, the team finished off the demon. Then dispel magic to defeat the gaze/dying curse.[/Spoiler]
  • DrusycDrusyc Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2013
    Current behaviour: Game crash when a Wyvern or Greater Wyvern is killed.

Expected behaviour: The game should not crash.

Notes: This occurs in my game with the demons when fighting Simmeon, but only if the demons die on screen. Confirmed crash with wyverns onscreen, but not when death occurs offscreen.

@Dieterderblau, it may be the death animation of the wyvern that's crashing your game. try being in the map or scrolling so that the creature doesn't die on screen, see if it still crashes.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Hm, this was supposed to be fixed for 2014, and I can't reproduce it. Could someone upload a crash dump? Should be in Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\crash.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    If i recall correctly, this is an animation problem (as Drusyc mentioned). The wyvern must face a certain direction (afaik east, southeast).
    Crash procedure:
    1. Started a new game
    2. Moved to south-east of Candlekeep
    3. CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("wyvernbi")
    4. Slain Greater Wyvern while it was facing east.
    Crash.

@Jalily the forums won't accept the .dmp. What's your preferred method of receiving files?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Drusyc You can zip the dmp file and upload.
    DrusycCrevsDaak
    edited March 2013
    @mlnevese pardon my obvious fail. Thank you :)

@Jalily tagged once more now that I'm not terrible at the internet.
    mlnevese
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Thanks, I've added this one to the tracker.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    @Drusyc @dieterderblau and anyone else who can reproduce this - can you tell me what video card and resolution you're running the game on?
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I sort of reported the same issue. However my game freezes up (not crashes) so I don't produce a .dmp file. But the only time the game has froze up on me is when the Wyverns (both in Durlag's Tower and the cave in Cloakwood) died. Eventually I killed them and the game didn't freeze up. WOO!!
    @Miloch AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD4250 on 1366x768.
  • NyxlNyxl Member Posts: 34
    Miloch said:

@Drusyc @dieterderblau and anyone else who can reproduce this - can you tell me what video card and resolution you're running the game on?

ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 on 1600x900; version 1.0.2014. Latest dump file included in attachment.

I could not swear about the wyverns' facing direction, but the crash is fairly consistent (more than five tries already, all crashed).
    Ok, thanks. Both dumps show an integer divide-by-zero error. It wouldn't surprise me that this only crashes on ATI cards because I can't reproduce it with a nVidia or Intel card. But I think I know what the issue is and can probably fix it.
    mlneveseAedanCrevsDaak
    @Miloch I recall experiencing the same kind of crash during two boss fights. First, the one against the Tanar'ri at the end of the Durlag Tower cycle. I thought at first it was due to a script bug, since it occured as a dying demon possessed another worshipper to 'respawn', and I managed to end the fight by killing all worshippers beforehand. Second, during the very last boss fight. I got to finish Sarevok without trouble, the game performed the expect 'final export', and then it crashed as, upon resuming the fight, one of the minions got killed by an AoE spell (I think it was one of the mages). I haven't reproduced those occurrences since 2014, and I can't provide the dumps, though, sorry about that. I'll keep an eye open for those, whenever I get to that point again.
    Yeah, it's a problem with both the wyvern and tanar'ri (balor) animations. Whoever has this issue, could you please extract the following file into your game's override folder and retest the crash. If it solves the wyvern issue, I can do the same for the tanar'ri; if not, I have more investigation to do.
    CrevsDaak
    @Miloch I just tested the fix, it seems to hold. I've tried the wyvern cave battle five times in a row, not a single crash. Thanks for the effort. :)
    @Nyxl - great, thanks for testing. I'll go ahead and fix the tanar'ri too then.
    edited March 2013
    Call me paranoid, I am not even going to deny. I was not satisfied with my previous test, since I left it mostly to chance, and the bug was reportedly a question of monster orientation. I performed a new, controlled test, with the following protocol.

1) Start a new 'single player' game.
    2) Create a fighter character with decent stats (made a berserker to test another reported issue about dual classing).
    3) Use the debug console to push said character to level 6 and gear them with wyvern fights in mind.
    4) Move to the nearest barracks in Candlekeep and deal with the bugger therein.
    5) Use the debug console to create a wyvern (code "wyvern", for the normal one).
    6) Place the character in order to have the wyvern face east during the whole fight.
    7) Kill the wyvern.
    8) If no crash occur, repeat steps 5 to 7, rotating the wyvern 45° clockwise, until all eight directions have been checked that way.

I think this is a much better confirmation, as no crash happened at all. :)

Moving onto the next issue, and thanking you for your patience.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    The BGEE version has crashed 3x in a row at the end of the Wyvern battle. Is there a
    problem or is it my hardware? Does this happen to other players?
    My game has crashed 3x after the end of the Wyvern cave battle.
    Is it a bug or is it my hardware?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There's an issue with the wyvern's animation when it dies while facing east. We're working on a fix, but in the mean-time if you can avoid killing them from the right side, that should help you avoid crashes there.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    There's another recent thread with an explanation and a downloadable fix for this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16985/wyvern-normal-or-greater-death-causing-crash

@franco : here you go. Miloch provided us with a temporary fix for the wyverns, that has been validated.
    Thanks Aosaw. Tried from the left side and its ok.
    Dee
    Miloch said:

Yeah, it's a problem with both the wyvern and tanar'ri (balor) animations. Whoever has this issue, could you please extract the following file into your game's override folder and retest the crash. If it solves the wyvern issue, I can do the same for the tanar'ri; if not, I have more investigation to do.

Miloch offered a file on March 16 and advised to add it to the game's override folder. I've gone to the BGEE folder in Documents but can't find the override folder within it. Would appreciate suggestion.

The 'override' folder is used to put all fixes or custom files that must override (meh) the game mechanics in some way. On PC If it isn't present by default, you can create it yourself, it simply must be in the game root folder, next to the base components of the game like the folders 'data', 'music', 'movies', 'scripts'...

This may be a bit tricky, if you purchased the game from Steam, as the base installation will be in your Steam client stuff, and the saves and character files in your user directory, within the 'My Documents' folder. For the 'override' folder, you are looking for the base installation.

Hope it helps.
    franco