Skip to content

[MOD] Need a Shuriken 1.2?

CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
edited February 2013 in General Modding
http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/76983343/file.html

ver. 1.2 - Removed usage for Druids, Clerics, and Mages. If anyone would like these items in a Store, you can download the MOD linked here;

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15959/mod-twas-a-slow-boat-from-kara-tur-queststorenew-items-release-90#latest

which includes all these items.

A simple mod that adds 3 types of Shuriken to your \override folder. I did not add it to any of the stores so you will need to CLUAConsole:CreateItem("shur0*") to add them to your characters inventory.

The real find for me here was the BAM files from Spellhold Studios by Moinesse. Some of the best looking images I have seen for this game. Anyone know if Moinesse is still around?

http://readme.spellholdstudios.net/bam-readme.html

Here are the spec's on the Shurikens.

(shur01)

Shuriken

A shuriken, "sword hidden in the hand" is a traditional Kara-Tur concealed weapon that is generally used for throwing. They are sharpened hand-held blades made from a variety of everyday items, such as needles, nails, and knives, as well as coins, washers, and other flat plates of metal. Shuriken is the name given to any small-bladed object that is traditionally used to indicate the well-known "throwing star".

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +0
Damage: 1D2+0
Damage type: Piercing
Weight: 1
Speed Factor: 0
Proficiency Type: Dart
Type: Thrown

Usable By:
Any

(shur02)

Shuriken +1

A shuriken, "sword hidden in the hand" is a traditional Kara-Tur concealed weapon that is generally used for throwing. They are sharpened hand-held blades made from a variety of everyday items, such as needles, nails, and knives, as well as coins, washers, and other flat plates of metal. Shuriken is the name given to any small-bladed object that is traditionally used to indicate the well-known "throwing star".

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +1
Damage: 1D2+1

Usable By:
Any

(shur03)

Shuriken of the Shou Ninja

How this rare item made it from Kara-Tur to the Sword Coast is quite a mystery. What is known however, is that these rare Shurikens are given to Shou Ninja's for special missions. Even an average person can throw these projectiles with great accuracy and speed.

SPECIAL:

- This Shuriken will return to the hand of it's owner.
- 5% chance to Stun a target upon a succesful hit.
- Weilder gains a +2 to hit with ranged weapons while equipped.
- Weilder can throw this weapon 5 times a round while equipped.
- Adds Strength Bonus (if any) to damage.

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +2
Damage: 1D2+2

Usable By:

Any
Post edited by Corsymyr on

Comments

• revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Wow that is powerful. Slap a dart priciency on Dorn and he'll be popping off 10 dmg per throw, with 5 throws per round? Plus a chance to stun? I hope you were intending this as an endgame item.
  • CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
    @revaar I only created it as a concept item to show off the BAM files from the link. This is why it is not in any store or on any creature. You can edit it to whatever you like and distribute it anyway you like. Again, more of a concept item than something you should be handed in ACT I. At somepoint I am thinking about creating a Kara-Tur Store in Baldur's Gate City that would have all the exotic weapons.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited February 2013
    @Corsymyr
    I really like the concept of these items. However, if I may post my two cents, I think that adding them to a store would be much better. I do not like using Clua Console. I'd rather buying or finding items.
    It might be Silence in Baldur's Gate the one who sells them. Or maybe you could find on some enemies corpse.

EDIT: I forgot to say that mages, clerics and druids should not be allowed to use them, just to be consistent with their weapons abilities.
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    if druids and mages can use throwing daggers, why not these?
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    I would rather see this as a monk/thief only weapon due to it's origins, but its good as it is too. (Don't have to take it for my fighters) :)

@Danathion has a valid point as the description of shuriken reads "Even an average person can throw these projectiles with great accuracy and speed." so that should propably be changed if it remains unusable to various classes. Also, shuriken is the favoured weapon of Mystra - the goddess of magic so it would be feasable that mages could learn to use them.
    Danathion said:

if druids and mages can use throwing daggers, why not these?

Because daggers and shurikens are different weapons. Remember that druids and clerics etichs allow them to use only certain weapons. Shurikens are not one of those.
    Of course, item descriptions should be update after this tweak (that I really appreciate, @Corsymyr).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I believe Oriental Adventures mages actually could use shurikens. Of course i may be confusing with the fire shurikens spell...
    I admittedly know nothing about the ins and outs of d&d rules, other than what I've experienced playing baldur's gate, I just don't see the difference...both are bladed weapons that are thrown. I understand that that's contrary to a cleric's ethics (changing the proficiency type to dagger would solve that) but if a druid or mage can throw a knife at you, it seems to me they should be able to pick up "a variety of everyday items, such as needles, nails, and knives, as well as coins, washers, and other flat plates of metal" (as the item description suggests) and throw them at you. If they they are to be restricted in their use I would agree with @Darksheer: "a monk/thief only weapon."
    edited March 2013
    mlnevese said:

I believe Oriental Adventures mages actually could use shurikens. Of course i may be confusing with the fire shurikens spell...

Well, Baldur's Gate takes place along the Sword Coast, not in Kara-Tur :)
    Danathion said:

I just don't see the difference...

There is a huge difference. D&D has specific rules. Throwing dagger and shuriken are not the same type of weapons. According to PnP rules, Mages cannot use shuriken. Same goes for Druids - shurikens are not allowed by their ethic.
    Anyway, there are two versions of this mods. If you do not agree with this change, you can simply download the one where any class can use this type of weapon. Problem solved :)
    thanks @Aeden for clarifying that for me. ;)
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    Hey @Corsymyr, awesome mod. I know it's been a few years since the original post, but are you still modding? I've been thinking of doing some of my own mods based on "oriental adventures" and trying to include some new weapons like sai (as dagger proficiency) and nunchaku (flails). Have you thought of doing anything similar? Or would something like that be even plausible? Cheers mate.