Skip to content

Baldur`s gate MEME Thread * Spoilers all over the place*

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    lunarDelvarian
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageCrevsDaakMoomintroll
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Foggy I love that dude of history channel his hair is always outrageous haha
    Foggy
    EudaemoniumCrevsDaak
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Quartz
    I'm curious as to what that is in reference to, and what is and is not a "politically correct" romance option. PM it if you feel it could derail the thread.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

@Quartz
    I'm curious as to what that is in reference to, and what is and is not a "politically correct" romance option. PM it if you feel it could derail the thread.

I am sure it is the bi-sexual NPCs who romance both genders of PCs. PC in a good way because they don't exclude anyone and are inclusive and PC in a bad way since there is no well-written RP explanation for this behavior so the motivations and personality of the NPC end up being less realized (or justified by some version of parallel universes - maybe if they just went with something like that 'romance anything' captain from Dr. Who it would be more of an actual character and less of a fill-in-the-blank plot device).
    Quartz
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I wouldn't really say that Dorn's bisexuality was inadequately explored so much as his whole romance is inadequately explored. There's barely anything to it.
    @Eudaemonium
    My understanding with the incomplete nature of the new NPC "romances" is that they won't be fully explored until BG2. The BG:EE romance content is just supposed to start things off.

@AHF
    I wasn't aware that bisexuality needed an explanation or justification.
    SniiiimonAristillius
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @AHF Very, very well put. Enough said. Thanks for explaining my meme, there is really no more to it than that so no need to argue, anyone. :)
    HaHaCharade

@Eudaemonium
    @AHF
    I wasn't aware that bisexuality needed an explanation or justification.

It doesn't. Like any character, a bisexual character needs writing and personality though. Most games don't write realized bisexual characters. They write bland characters that simply fill in the blank with "You are the [fill in PC:man/woman] of my dreams." You wouldn't know these characters were bisexual except for the fact that the next time you play the game that same character who fell head over heels for the 6'4'' buff male warrior now falls head over heels the exact same way with the exact same dynamic with the 5'2'' svelte female thief. These bisexual characters have no real independent existence - they are simply mirrors in which the PC can look and see gazing admiration beaming back.

So my blame is on the writing and character development of the bisexual video game character (to date), not the sexual orientation per se.

I want to see a realized character that I can imagine is a real person and not a character with [fill in PC:man/woman] boxes to populate which comes across as cheap and demeaning to the NPC.
    QuartzSniiiimon[Deleted User]Aristillius
    AHF said:

It doesn't. Like any character, a bisexual character needs writing and personality though. Most games don't write realized bisexual characters. They write bland characters that simply fill in the blank with "You are the [fill in PC:man/woman] of my dreams." You wouldn't know these characters were bisexual except for the fact that the next time you play the game that same character who fell head over heels for the 6'4'' buff male warrior now falls head over heels the exact same way with the exact same dynamic with the 5'2'' svelte female thief. These bisexual characters have no real independent existence - they are simply mirrors in which the PC can look and see gazing admiration beaming back.

So my blame is on the writing and character development of the bisexual video game character (to date), not the sexual orientation per se.

I want to see a realized character that I can imagine is a real person and not a character with [fill in PC:man/woman] boxes to populate which comes across as cheap and demeaning to the NPC.

And, to me, spending a lot of time on it would be forced and inane. People who are bisexual are, in fact, bisexual. They have a [fill in PC:man/woman] in real life! They're attracted to a given person because they have the female traits they like in females, or because they have traits they like in males. It's a double standard, because you're not asking for this kind of "explanation" for straight romances.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

AHF said:

And, to me, spending a lot of time on it would be forced and inane. People who are bisexual are, in fact, bisexual. They have a [fill in PC:man/woman] in real life! They're attracted to a given person because they have the female traits they like in females, or because they have traits they like in males. It's a double standard, because you're not asking for this kind of "explanation" for straight romances.
    Several of the bisexual people I know tend to be attracted more to specific characteristics in individuals; gender or sex is frequently a secondary or even irrelevant characteristic with regards to attraction (this is obviously not saying all bisexual people are like this, merely that it is one way in which bisexuality manifests in people). That being said, the PC-sexual nature of characters in videogames might actually have a certain degree of realism, seeing as the PC usually embodies specific characteristics that these people (clearly) find attractive. That isn't to say it can't actually be developed more, in fleshing out what it is about the PC X NPC is attracted to by imposing certain limits on, say, stat requirements, alignment, etcetera.

Dorn, for example, seems to be attracted primarily to the characteristics strength/competency and loyalty. The former is almost a foregone conclusion given who the PC is (*coughbhaalspawncough*), which means that the latter is really a sticking point.

Anyway, back to the memes!
    edited March 2013

AHF said:

I am not spending any more time on this on the meme thread. I will just say that I find a lot of heterosexual romances well done while others are as vapid as the bisexual video game romances. Using BG, one like Viconia is well done because you get a sense of her character, personality, and interests and part of the interest is from the fact that she is going to have certain standards rather than simply falling for every pc with [PC name] in her script. You get the sense that she is 'Viconia' and she is going to react as Viconia to the person whether the PC was Aerie, Kheldorn, Sarevok, Edwin, etc. and not by falling for all of them with an [insert gender/name] with Aerie, Edwin, etc. When a bisexual romance is as well done as that with a character that has a core personality that you can visualize reacting consistently to a diverse cast of characters, then it will be a first as far as my exposure.

Your comment that bisexuals have a [fill in PC:man/woman] personality in real life strikes me as insulting and demeaning but I think that is not your intent and that you are viewing that characterization in a different way than I am. I think you and I are viewing this through a different lens.

I am just going to agree to disagree with you about the quality of the writing on the bisexual romances that have been proffered in video games to date with a proviso that there may be one out there that I haven't seen that exceeds the cookie cutter standards that I have seen. I am not looking for a bisexual character that spends all his/her time explaining his/her sexuality - I am looking for an authentic, realized character and not a mirror of admiration for the PC.

[I place no judgment on Dorn because there is no romance to evaluate at this point.]
    QuartzSpaceInvader
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited March 2013

This actually used to happen to me with one particularly cruel PnP DM)

That's straight outta first edition fo sheezy! Its how the game should be played! :P

secretmantra
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259

That's straight outta first edition fo sheezy! Its how the game should be played! :P

Maybe so, but he didn't have to enjoy it so damn much, eh? ;)
    HaHaCharade

In most rulesets, magic items are really durable, with hardness or damage reduction. Doesn't seem like a breath weapon that didn't kill the player could even scratch a magic item.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643

In most rulesets, magic items are really durable, with hardness or damage reduction. Doesn't seem like a breath weapon that didn't kill the player could even scratch a magic item.
    They are very durable and therefore have incredible saving throws. Still, perhaps that magic armor you're wearing took the brunt of the blast? Maybe the heat from the dragon-flame set off the charge in your amulet? Just because they are durable doesn't mean they are indestructible - that would make them artifacts. Personally, I think dragon fire is a very suitable way for a magic item to meet its doom.
    Syntia13
This discussion has been closed.